Diet Soda

Options

Replies

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    That stuff is just full of **** .. if you want to drink it go ahead. Me .. almost never now. I do not care if it has zero calories (which is supposed to make it ok right .. ?) .. it is still made from the devil.

lol at how long it took for someone to call it the devil!

anigif_enhanced-buzz-23656-1374719334-6.gif
  • jeffd247
    jeffd247 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    That stuff is just full of **** .. if you want to drink it go ahead. Me .. almost never now. I do not care if it has zero calories (which is supposed to make it ok right .. ?) .. it is still made from the devil.

Momma says soda is made from the devil.

waterboy_l.jpg
  • longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    i stopped drinking diet sodas last week and gained fifteen pounds...

...maybe i shouldn't have replaced all the diet sodas with beer?!?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    wamydia wrote: »
    I think its because to something like 85% of the population (sorry, I can't find the source for this right now, but it's something I read a while back), aspartame (and some other artificial sweeteners) taste just like sugar so it's basically just drinking a sweet drink. To the other 15% of us (who are a certain type of supertaster), it's absolutely horrendous. I can't drink diet soda either because it's horribly bitter to me. Along with kale, brussel sprouts, and a few other things. So I guess the short answer is that some people love diet soda because it just tastes like sweet carbonated goodness to them.

I have no idea if this is true, but I like the idea that it's one of those things like cilantro that people taste differently, so are doomed to fight about until the end of time (this could just be my family, though).

For the record, I like Diet Coke (better than Coke, which tastes sticky, as someone said upthread), like kale, love properly prepared Brussels sprouts (may have to have them tonight), and think cilantro is usually an excellent addition. Probably not to Diet Coke, though.

Edit: actually, though, Kruggeri is correct. DC does not taste like Coke, as I also can tell instantly if they are mixed up, and IME people who prefer DC generally don't like Diet Pepsi (which is disgusting, IMO, and tastes flat).
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member
    Options
    it is still made from the devil.

You mean like its made from Lucifer himself? Or did he get one of the more minor demons, or one of his minions to make it?
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    anigif_enhanced-buzz-4919-1386099167-19.gif?w=529
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Studies show that the artificial sweeteners trick your brain into thinking it's getting sugar, and since your body doesn't get that sugar, it keeps looking to get it, so it keeps giving you cravings stronger and stronger until it gets the real sugar.

I don't think this is so. It's a theory.

It is not true for me.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »

lol at how long it took for someone to call it the devil!

But sugar is the devil!

Does this mean that aspartame is, in fact, a perfect substitute?
  • glevinso
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Studies show that the artificial sweeteners trick your brain into thinking it's getting sugar, and since your body doesn't get that sugar, it keeps looking to get it, so it keeps giving you cravings stronger and stronger until it gets the real sugar.

I don't think this is so. It's a theory.

It is not true for me.

To be more accurate - it was a hypothesis that ended up with no supporting experimental evidence.
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    I love my diet soda – although I use moderation - some days 12 oz. and others 24 oz.; When I started losing weight 1 year ago I gave up MANY things and focused on getting 95% of my calories from “healthy” sources. I refused to give up my moderate soda intake and have lost 156 pounds so far. It hasn’t impacted my weight loss at all…
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,663 Member
    Options
    Forget the weight gain, the chemicals you are consuming aren't doing you any good. Stick with all natural foods.
    Phenylalaine and Aspartic acid are in natural foods. These are also the chemicals that make up aspartame. So if other foods contain them, should they be forgotten about too?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    glevinso wrote: »
    Diet soda can increase your risk of developing type 2 diabetes and metabolic syndrome.

About as much as breathing oxygen can, or blinking your eyes more often than usual.

If you are going to make extraordinary claims you need to back those up with actual evidence.

"In addition to weight gain, higher consumption of SSBs is associated with development of metabolic syndrome and type 2 diabetes."

"Findings from our meta-analyses show a clear link between SSB consumption and risk of metabolic syndrome and type 2 diabetes. Based on coefficients from three prospective cohort studies including 19,431 participants and 5,803 cases of metabolic syndrome, participants in the highest category of intake had a 20% greater risk of developing metabolic syndrome than those in the lowest category of intake. For type 2 diabetes, based on data from eight prospective cohort studies (nine data points), including 310,819 participants and 15,043 cases of type 2 diabetes, participants in the highest category of SSB intake had a 26% greater risk of developing type 2 diabetes than participants in the lowest category of intake."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2963518/
    Wait an SSB is a sugar based drink. Not the same as a diet drink by any means.

This is from the abstract:
    Consumption of sugar-sweetened beverages (SSBs), which include soft drinks, fruit drinks, iced tea, and energy and vitamin water drinks has risen across the globe. Regular consumption of SSBs has been associated with weight gain and risk of overweight and obesity, but the role of SSBs in the development of related chronic metabolic diseases, such as metabolic syndrome and type 2 diabetes, has not been quantitatively reviewed.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

You should try reading the entire journal.
    Why if the journal is about sugar?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Fair enough, some people want to drink diet soda. I myself don't touch the diet soda or any soda, but to each their own. The unopened cans I find lying around do make good paperweights at work sometimes so I don't find them that useless.

My question is, why is this thread in existence in the first place? Does anyone think that diet soda actually tastes good enough to argue about???
    Subjective. Why do any threads exist that may only appeal to certain groups of people?

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • WatchJoshLift
    WatchJoshLift Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I'm drinking a diet coke right now, and it's goooooood.
  • victoriaalice40
    Options
    Run_Fit wrote: »
    I'm drinking a diet coke right now, and it's goooooood.

Me too!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Cilantro is disgusting and is of the debbil. The seeds on the other hand...
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    I love cilantro so much.

Do you think it tastes like soap? Hmm, does the devil taste like soap?
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    I'm in the hate cilantro camp too.
  • DiabolicalColossus
    DiabolicalColossus Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Brain holes brought me back to this thread.

And what a thread this has been.

Full of anti-artificial sweetener types who proudly showcase their chosen ignorance in an attempt to continually feel superior while masking their irrational fear of chemicals.

Glorious.

Luckily, the anti-artificial science types came in to clean up their mess.
  • glevinso
    Options
    I only drink natural science.