1000 pound club

Options

Replies

• Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

raw means no chalk right? or just no knee wraps/ straps?

I can't think of a federation that doesn't allow chalk. Most feds that I have heard of don't let you wear knee support during deadlift. Definitely no lifting straps.

Most feds go by something similar to the APF regulations:

Squat: Belt and wrist wraps allowed, no knee sleeves or knee wraps, hip crease must go below the top of your knee. Bar must not descend at any point during the lift after it has begun to ascend.

Bench Press: Belt and wrist wraps allowed, heels do not have to be in contact with the floor, butt and shoulders must stay in contact with the bench, bar must touch your chest and stop until the "press" command is given. Bar must come all the way up with elbows locked and not be racked until the "rack" command is given. Bar must not descend at any point during the lift after it has begun to ascend.

Deadlift: No knee wraps, no hitching, no lifting straps. Belt and wrist wraps allowed. Hook grip, double overhand and over/under grip are all allowed. Bar must come straight up to lockout w/ no descent after the bar has begun to ascend. Bar must be held until "lower" command is given.

Realistically, if you really want to gauge your strength in the gym it would be best to go by these standards IMO.
  • natecooper75
    natecooper75 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Lofteren wrote: »

I can't think of a federation that doesn't allow chalk. Most feds that I have heard of don't let you wear knee support during deadlift. Definitely no lifting straps.

Squat: Belt and wrist wraps allowed, no knee sleeves or knee wraps, hip crease must go below the top of your knee. Bar must not descend at any point during the lift after it has begun to ascend.

Bench Press: Belt and wrist wraps allowed, heels do not have to be in contact with the floor, butt and shoulders must stay in contact with the bench, bar must touch your chest and stop until the "press" command is given. Bar must come all the way up with elbows locked and not be racked until the "rack" command is given. Bar must not descend at any point during the lift after it has begun to ascend.

Deadlift: No knee wraps, no hitching, no lifting straps. Belt and wrist wraps allowed. Hook grip, double overhand and over/under grip are all allowed. Bar must come straight up to lockout w/ no descent after the bar has begun to ascend. Bar must be held until "lower" command is given.

Realistically, if you really want to gauge your strength in the gym it would be best to go by these standards IMO.

Choosing a federation to go by is hard though because of the subtle difference between them. If you go by the IPF which is probably the largest in the world, they allow knee sleeves. The best one to go by can be argued for ages with no one coming out the winner. I always just like to hear if squats were done with or without wraps because wraps can give you a major advantage (not that other equipment can't, this just seems to be a standard that is used to differentiate records).

I know my beliefs aren't the same as everyone else but, when I think of raw, I think of belt, sleeves or wraps, and even maybe even wrist wraps even though I don't utilize them myself. Chalk is also included.
  • Lofteren
    Options

Choosing a federation to go by is hard though because of the subtle difference between them. If you go by the IPF which is probably the largest in the world, they allow knee sleeves. The best one to go by can be argued for ages with no one coming out the winner. I always just like to hear if squats were done with or without wraps because wraps can give you a major advantage (not that other equipment can't, this just seems to be a standard that is used to differentiate records).

I know my beliefs aren't the same as everyone else but, when I think of raw, I think of belt, sleeves or wraps, and even maybe even wrist wraps even though I don't utilize them myself. Chalk is also included.

I think raw should allow knee wraps, a belt and wrist wraps. If anything, I think that those pieces of equipment are necessary for safety. They do contribute somewhat to lifting heavier weights but they also have other utility whereas bench press shirts, squat suits and deadlift suits pretty much only serve 1 purpose for which they are exceedingly effective.

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

I think raw should allow knee wraps, a belt and wrist wraps. If anything, I think that those pieces of equipment are necessary for safety. They do contribute somewhat to lifting heavier weights but they also have other utility whereas bench press shirts, squat suits and deadlift suits pretty much only serve 1 purpose for which they are exceedingly effective.

I think that raw should mean nothing. Maybe that is why I am so weak.

• Lofteren
    Options

I think that raw should mean nothing. Maybe that is why I am so weak.

If you were strong you would probably be more inclined to agree with me. When you're lifting light weights, even though they may feel heavy to you, there is not nearly the potential for injury. When you have 650lbs on your back; however, the potential to blow out a knee, a hip or a disc is far greater even though you would be a lot stronger.

• Jesssamesssa
    Jesssamesssa Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    My first thought was "1000lb club??? There's a club now for the super morbidly obese???"

Then I read more...

Wow.

Impressive.

Do you have a job or do you just spend every waking moment in the gym? Or maybe you work at the gym... which is very convenient for workign out I would imagine.

Either way... Kudos to you for the dedication it took to get where you are. Good luck on your test!

I thought this too!!!
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Update: :D Just got my 3 plates on DL! ...315, recently tested bench and am at 155 (just started really working on this lift as I am a Crossfitter and we spend more time on press)...going to re-test my 1 rep max this weekend. Expecting to hit 245-250, as I recently got a 235 pause squat just messing around. I am doing my first USAPL raw meet in a few weeks and am expecting to hit 700 but would love to hit 725. My training partner is going for 1000 and she's a chick!
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    update but not tested max.
    I will test at end of the year.

Bench 275
    squat 305
    deadlift 400
    total 980.

I do not believe the calculations but if they are close I should be joining this club by new years.
  • WRENxxx
    WRENxxx Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    910. Almost there.

Bench - 245
    Squat - 350
    Deadlift - 315
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Tested out my bench today, 245, solidly. I'm pretty sure I could have put up 255 if my shoulders weren't barking at me.

Puts me at 1055 now. ;) One day I shall be strong like bull, for now, I am weak like infant.
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Bench - 250
    Squat - 300
    Deadlift - 385

935 total. Making it into the 1000lb club is a big part of my goals right now. I just PR'd on squats, and I'm looking to add 50lbs to my bench and 20lbs to my deadlift.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Nice. Might be easier to add to that DL than Bench... my bench has stalled hard. Those numbers are excellent though. Rock it.
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I have a herniated disc, so actually I may be nearing the limit of what I can do with my deadlift. But my bench can still go up quite a bit.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Oh *kitten*. Yeah, that definitely colors things a bit. Can a hernia be healed without surgery?
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    RECowgill wrote: »
    I have a herniated disc, so actually I may be nearing the limit of what I can do with my deadlift. But my bench can still go up quite a bit.

Damn well all you can do is try and keep on till you get that lift goal.

• dbmata
    Options
    ah yeah, you're super close, not too far.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Pulled a new high bar back squat PR today.

345 for 6, then had to reset the bar and pushed two more.
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    any newcomers to the club?
  • TossaBeanBag
    TossaBeanBag Posts: 458 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Repping >1000

Currently (into week 7 after 10 years off):
    Bench (315x8) so maybe 400?
    Squat (335x10) so maybe 425?
    Deadlift (350x10) so maybe 450?

Best competition stats when I weighed 190:
    Max Bench: 500
    Max Squat: 405 (squats were never really strong)
    Max Deadlift: 450

I wonder if I actually worked on the deadlift what I might do. I am thinking of training the deadlift and really training hard on squats (both of which I never got serious in). I always liked bench because that was what I was good at beginning in Junior High. My first experience benching was a 275 max in 8th grade; but, my legs have always been pathetically behind.
  • TossaBeanBag
    TossaBeanBag Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1355 right now.

Bench: 365 lb
    Squat: 440 lb
    Deadlift:550 lb

My numbers aren't good for my current size, but I want to diet down some and maintain as close to these as possible. I would like to eventually compete in powerlifting and maybe strongman, but I have some work to do before I would feel comfortable competing.

I hope to be at 1505 by the end of the year.

Those are strong numbers. I always look in awe at those with strong legs and wished I could put in those numbers. Bench is my strongest lift, which is funny to think I can push more off my chest than with my legs. Ugghh.