1000 pound club

Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    you people are ******* animals. wow. I was proud of my totals... I'm a baby. lol.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    jbach2 wrote: »
    Repping >1000

Currently (into week 7 after 10 years off):
    Bench (315x8) so maybe 400?
    Squat (335x10) so maybe 425?
    Deadlift (350x10) so maybe 450?

Best competition stats when I weighed 190:
    Max Bench: 500
    Max Squat: 405 (squats were never really strong)
    Max Deadlift: 450

I wonder if I actually worked on the deadlift what I might do. I am thinking of training the deadlift and really training hard on squats (both of which I never got serious in). I always liked bench because that was what I was good at beginning in Junior High. My first experience benching was a 275 max in 8th grade; but, my legs have always been pathetically behind.

Got to love muscle memory. Never goes away I see. BTW where did you start for week 1 of coming back?

• TossaBeanBag
    TossaBeanBag Posts: 458 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    Repping >1000

I wonder if I actually worked on the deadlift what I might do. I am thinking of training the deadlift and really training hard on squats (both of which I never got serious in). I always liked bench because that was what I was good at beginning in Junior High. My first experience benching was a 275 max in 8th grade; but, my legs have always been pathetically behind.

Got to love muscle memory. Never goes away I see. BTW where did you start for week 1 of coming back?

Oh, it was painful coming back! I put on 225 for the bench and rep 5 almost killed me. A week later, I got a killer exertion headache and thought I was stroking out. Then, every time I lifted, the weights felt lighter and lighter, so I just always did what I thought I could do around 10 reps. When I squatted for the first time, I think I had 195 for 10 reps and thought my knees were going to pop. I was really, really surpised to gain strength back that quickly. I thought it would take a year and a couple of months.

I am know resting way more than I used to 10 years ago, but I am feeling way stronger when I train. I go 2 days on and then take a day off. Day 1 is lower body, day 2 is upper, and day 3 is rest; then, repeat. This works for me, though I am really listening to my body. I only try to up my weights once a week, now, and only by 5 lbs. This next week, though, I think I will just keep increasing reps rather than weight to make sure my connective tissue is having sufficient time to build.
  • TossaBeanBag
    TossaBeanBag Posts: 458 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    you people are ******* animals. wow. I was proud of my totals... I'm a baby. lol.

You're still an animal dbmata! It doesn't matter how much weight, it's the intensity of the fight within. Just be the best you, you can be.

There's always someone lifting more and, tomorrow, they may lift no more. I am just glad to be able to lift, today.

Civilize the mind ... Savage the body!
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    Repping >1000

Oh, it was painful coming back! I put on 225 for the bench and rep 5 almost killed me. A week later, I got a killer exertion headache and thought I was stroking out. Then, every time I lifted, the weights felt lighter and lighter, so I just always did what I thought I could do around 10 reps. When I squatted for the first time, I think I had 195 for 10 reps and thought my knees were going to pop. I was really, really surpised to gain strength back that quickly. I thought it would take a year and a couple of months.

I am know resting way more than I used to 10 years ago, but I am feeling way stronger when I train. I go 2 days on and then take a day off. Day 1 is lower body, day 2 is upper, and day 3 is rest; then, repeat. This works for me, though I am really listening to my body. I only try to up my weights once a week, now, and only by 5 lbs. This next week, though, I think I will just keep increasing reps rather than weight to make sure my connective tissue is having sufficient time to build.

I think it was because of muscle atrophy. Then is was just easy to get back in to muscle tearing and building like before. I think only an injury would cause a long duration to get back to your old real working weight.

• 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Yea, generally dead>squat>bench. Sometimes that seems to vary with an experienced or geared lifter.

I'd say that if your average gym lifter squats more than they deadlift 9 times out of 10 they aren't squatting deep enough.
    dbmata wrote: »
    Exactly, gotta find what works for you.

I have the luxury of being able to take a good period of time for a gym session, because I work early hours, no kids, and a wife who works normal hours. It's also better for me to do this than to either keep working, or playing games and drinking beer. ;)
    JoRocka wrote: »
    and here I am with my brewing equipment in the garage.

I'm doing it wrong.

I have three sewing machines in my basement- no garage.
    Guess I'm doing it wrong too!!!

Although- I'll be honest- if I had a garage- it would be full of motorcycles. not a power cage- I keep my power cage at my gym.

I've got the motorcycles in the house.

• ChrisR46
    Options
    One thing that I believe needs mentioning is that even with a total of 700-900lbs, you're still stronger than the average. Be proud of your achievements, no matter how insignificant you may think they are compared to others. a 200lb squat is still more than Johnny on the street can do!
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    Did we decide it was 700 for women? cuz I'm there now: 255 squat, 155 bench, 320 DL=730.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Stronger than average? What is mean?

Did brooklyn hipsters skew the mean downwards?
  • TFaustino67
    TFaustino67 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    Did we decide it was 700 for women? cuz I'm there now: 255 squat, 155 bench, 320 DL=730.

Killer #'s Kelly.
  • TFaustino67
    TFaustino67 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1355 right now.

Bench: 365 lb
    Squat: 440 lb
    Deadlift:550 lb

My numbers aren't good for my current size, but I want to diet down some and maintain as close to these as possible. I would like to eventually compete in powerlifting and maybe strongman, but I have some work to do before I would feel comfortable competing.

I hope to be at 1505 by the end of the year.

Maybe not good for your current size (what is your current size? curious of your weight to strength ratio) Either way those are damn nice #'s my friend
  • dbmata
    Options
    Sup, pulled a Deadlift PR tonight.

435. I barely missed 455, I was holding my breath and that uh... didn't work out well. Had it as far up as my knees.
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    450 lb bench
    600 lb deadlift
    550 squat
  • BR1986FB
    BR1986FB Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options

Nice !

• Kiyy
    Kiyy Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I'm going to test this. But as a 51 year old woman I'm mostly super strong with my legs. I can go do ... go do squat (135) ...then leg press (540) then go ride a spin bike with lots of tork for 45 min and still go for a 3 mile fast paced walk the next day. So I don't think I need to be under 700 if its legs.

• natecooper75
    natecooper75 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'm at 1355 right now.

Bench: 365 lb
    Squat: 440 lb
    Deadlift:550 lb

My numbers aren't good for my current size, but I want to diet down some and maintain as close to these as possible. I would like to eventually compete in powerlifting and maybe strongman, but I have some work to do before I would feel comfortable competing.

I hope to be at 1505 by the end of the year.

Maybe not good for your current size (what is your current size? curious of your weight to strength ratio) Either way those are damn nice #'s my friend

That is about a 4x body weight total for me. I have squatted 475x1 since this was posed so that puts me at 1390. I haven't been training as hard as I was earlier this year. I will be back on the grind though once the holidays are over and I get my home gym set up. First goal is 500 lb squat and then 600 deadlift. Bench will come up with time but I would like to get to 405 by April/May.
  • dbmata
    Options
    BR1986FB wrote: »
    450 lb bench
    600 lb deadlift
    550 squat

Now THAT is scary. Well done.
  • CarlKRobbo
    CarlKRobbo Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Comp lifts:

Bench - 313Lbs
    Squat - 405Lbs
    Deadlift- 551Lbs

Total - 1260Lb's

I've hit a 220KG\480Lb's Squat, 225KG\496Lb's attempt is open to judges..

Comp day tomorrow, New Comp Squat PB, Should get a comp Deadlift PB as well
  • dbmata
    Options
    Wow, get after it, best of luck tomorrow!
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Deadlift: 605
    Squat: 535/585 with wraps
    Bench: 345 paused.