"The big fat calorie counting con"

Options

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I think most people on here subscribe to both calorie counting and watching macros (the contents of the calorie). The concern in the article seems to be that people won't eat healthy fats because the calorie count is high, but that healthy fats shouldn't been excluded from our diets because they are good for us. Because I know this, I do spend calories on healthy sources of fats, but I still stay within my calorie count, because I stronger suspect that if I ate too many of any macro - no matter how healthy, I wouldn't not be currently losing weight.

I'm currently eating a vegan diet, barely making it to 30 grams of protein a day, almost always over on crabs and fat and I'm still losing consistently. Really.. macros are for general health/satiety/muscle mass. They have little to do with weight loss calorie for calorie.
    ^^^ This. Right here. Macros are for health.

You can eat twinkies all day, and still lose weight if you are eating less than you burn. Is it healthy? No. Will you lose weight? Yes.

people mix up health and weight gain/loss constantly and it's frustrating. They are very distinctly different things.

Next someone will post about how a calorie is not a calorie and how you said they should eat Twinkies all day.....gifs will ensue.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I couldn't care less about the calorie controversy, but I do think there needs to be a much greater conversation about macros and a de-villainization of the fat macro.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    It's gonna be a long week here....
    Well at least we have the holiday coming up mid week. Hopefully people take a break :)
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    The Big Calorie Counting Strawman
    weightology.net/?p=1279
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Calorie counting certainly has worked for me as far as weight loss goes, but macro ratio seems to work best for energy level and satieaity (for me).
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    herrspoons wrote: »
    Cool story, bro.

Random aside; my 14yo daughter uses this expression.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    So macros are important?? Who knew!! Mind = blown!!

They're basically saying that macros are more important than calories. I can live with that, but if you overeat on macros, you're still overeating. Not sure how you would track macros without tracking calories as well.

OK, good, this was my take on the article as well. I mean, sure, it would be great to eat the optimal ratio all the time. But for most people, at the end of the day, eat less than your burn and strive for a "well-rounded" diet. I don't see how anything they presented makes calories obsolete.
  • maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I think most people on here subscribe to both calorie counting and watching macros (the contents of the calorie). The concern in the article seems to be that people won't eat healthy fats because the calorie count is high, but that healthy fats shouldn't been excluded from our diets because they are good for us. Because I know this, I do spend calories on healthy sources of fats, but I still stay within my calorie count, because I stronger suspect that if I ate too many of any macro - no matter how healthy, I wouldn't not be currently losing weight.

I'm currently eating a vegan diet, barely making it to 30 grams of protein a day, almost always over on crabs and fat and I'm still losing consistently. Really.. macros are for general health/satiety/muscle mass. They have little to do with weight loss calorie for calorie.

OT but am amused by your typo. A vegan who is over on crabs ;)

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options

OT but am amused by your typo. A vegan who is over on crabs ;)

Gotta love autocorrect...
  • LeenaGee
    LeenaGee Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    An extract from the article "The big fat calorie counting con"

"It's time we update and mass broadcast a more advanced nutritional understanding of food. Calorie counting has had its day; if we don't move on from its archaic ways, the worrying trends around obesity in the Western world will only continue to worsen, and our health as a whole will decline."
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I couldn't care less about the calorie controversy, but I do think there needs to be a much greater conversation about macros and a de-villainization of the fat macro.

Is fat still that villainized? It doesn't seem to be on MFP. I guess I don't have that good a sense of the general public, but in my circles everyone seems to have moved on to carbs long ago.

Anyway, if it is, I certainly agree with you.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    So macros are important?? Who knew!! Mind = blown!!

They're basically saying that macros are more important than calories. I can live with that, but if you overeat on macros, you're still overeating. Not sure how you would track macros without tracking calories as well.

There is some validity in all approaches. Like Tim states our system is not like a furnace per say. Macros can help one keep the food choices in the ball park. Because different approaches seem to work at different times we have to monitor the results of any plan over the long term. The right ratio of calories is still required for any long term success.

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    LeenaGee wrote: »
    An extract from the article "The big fat calorie counting con"

"It's time we update and mass broadcast a more advanced nutritional understanding of food. Calorie counting has had its day; if we don't move on from its archaic ways, the worrying trends around obesity in the Western world will only continue to worsen, and our health as a whole will decline."

Yeah, cause, the obesity epidemic In the western world is because the public DOES have a great understanding of calories. Obviously, we're all fat because calorie counting doesn't work.

[/sarcasm]
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Macros count? Who knew?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Calorie counting certainly has worked for me as far as weight loss goes, but macro ratio seems to work best for energy level and satieaity (for me).

What macro ratios did you end up with?
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    Screw the sensationalist blib-blab in the article. Read the studies mentioned instead and form your own conclusions.

http://journals.cambridge.org/images/fileUpload/documents/PHN2014-007802_1.pdf
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2238749/
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2129158/
    http://jn.nutrition.org/content/139/1/178.full.pdf
    http://jn.nutrition.org/content/132/3/329.full

For only one is just the abstract available (the Vanderbilt study, I believe. So I did not link it.) Happy reading. I'll get back to you after the New Year when I've finally gotten to finish them all. laugh-c107160f171147f3c214bb30e43c803f.gif
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I've only been able to maintain my weight since I've stopped counting calories. I counted since grade school and it led to a cycle of restriction and binging. Now I eat intuitively and move more and have stayed the same weight for the last year. I think it's a good tool if you have no idea about nutrition and calorie counts, but at some point it can become obsessive for some people (like I was).

I use MFP as a social site to connect with others who do the same sports. I always say "That's why it's called 'My Fitness Pal' instead of 'My Calorie Counting Pal.'" But that being said, people are all at different places in their journey and maybe calorie counting is a good training tool.
  • AmigaMaria001
    AmigaMaria001 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Hum?? I wonder how I lost 60lbs by eating fresh bread, potatoes, pasta, rice, beans and meat along with lots and lots of fresh vegetables?
    I didn't eat at all differently than I ever have except that I counted calories so I was eating a whole lot less.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I lost 60 lbs eating tons o' carbs. I literally eat pasta/rice/oats/potatoes/bread at every meal. Im keeping it off by doing the same thing. Its not magic, its calorie counting.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    The big benefit I got from MFP is the action of regularly diarizing. It keeps me consistent and honest.