Guide to making claims based on experience

Since everyone is here for advice and support on whatever their weight or body composition goals are, i feel it very important to know about actual real life instances and what may or may not have worked for people. If there was not a scientific study done on how you were successful, it's totally okay to provide an opinion of what works best for you. Ultimately what works for some people may or may not work for others, and if we all knew the secret none of us would be on this site. Continuing to provide personal and anecdotal evidence provides real life example and servesas a very positive motivator for many of us. And also because sometimes Lifes, not just Sciences. But always Maths! :)

Replies

• DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    edited November 2014
    heh heh.
    if we all knew the secret none of us would be on this site.

I think this is a great point. A lot OPs are asking for help losing weight, and a lot of people are responding calorie in < energy out, but the OP is really asking how did you deal with 1. cravings 2. eating out 3. emotional eating 4. grazing after dinner 5. fitting low-cal meals into a busy lifestyle 6. changing a lifestyle to one more healthy 7. weird issues that are popping up 8. exercise 9. understanding body mass and total energy expenditures 10. etc etc etc.
  • redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    Oh Snap...
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited November 2014
    My eyes glaze over when I get a scientific research link shoved at me.
    I'm much more interested in hearing from real life people with real life experiences :D
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Yes indeedy happycamper B)
  • longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 623 Member
    The funniest thing is, when that thread started, i agreed...having recently acquired a graduate degree, i understand it is important to provide support. However when it changed into a "support your post with research, your opinion and advice is useless, we only care about what a scientific study said" i quickly changed sides.

i've actually posted a few studies today when my thoughts were questioned (a nice term for the attitude of some on the forums). They can be useful. But so is what works for someone that has lost 100 lbs, as i place a lot more value on that opinion that a research paper, especially since much like statistics, you can find research supporting almost any claim.
  • lorib642
    lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Yes, that is what I love about the success stories. It is great to hear individual experiences and how people may deal with weight/health/fitness.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Oh, I see what you did there OP …

I am in…to see where your rebuttal thread goes...
  • fobs13
    fobs13 Posts: 1,080 Member
    heh heh.
    if we all knew the secret none of us would be on this site.

I think this is a great point. A lot OPs are asking for help losing weight, and a lot of people are responding calorie in < energy out, but the OP is really asking how did you deal with 1. cravings 2. eating out 3. emotional eating 4. grazing after dinner 5. fitting low-cal meals into a busy lifestyle 6. changing a lifestyle to one more healthy 7. weird issues that are popping up 8. exercise 9. understanding body mass and total energy expenditures 10. etc etc etc.

All these. We all know the cico formula but it's the tips on what others found most beneficial to them that help most. especially if we can relate to that person.
  • DiabolicalColossus
    DiabolicalColossus Posts: 219 Member
    This should prove to be another classic exercise in futility.

I can't wait.
  • fobs13
    This should prove to be another classic exercise in futility.

I can't wait.

Why bother participating then?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    I think that science and anecdote can both have a place on these boards. The problem becomes when people confuse one for the other.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Thank you.
  • ndj1979
    I think that science and anecdote can both have a place on these boards. The problem becomes when people confuse one for the other.

yes, or use flawed personal experience as evidence…

Like " i cut all sugar and lost weight; hence, sugar is bad for me and made me gain weight"…no, because you can eat sugar and lose weight …

*shrugs*
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    I'm only going to write what matters.

Dave's guide to making clams, based on experience.

Take clam. Shuck. Add lemon juice. Eat.

OR

Take clams, apply to a hot liquid comprised of court boullion, white wine, garlic, chili flakes, bacon, lemon zest, salt, pepper, butter.
  • longtimeterp
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Like " i cut all sugar and lost weight; hence, sugar is bad for me and made me gain weight"…no, because you can eat sugar and lose weight …

*shrugs*

if someone experiences something personally, how can it be flawed for them?
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    [quote=" Ultimately what works for some people may or may not work for others, and if we all knew the secret none of us would be on this site. :) [/quote]

Honestly I think that we all know that the secret to losing weight is. What people have problems with is dealing with the restrictions of it. Or they are still looking for that magic pill, where they can have their cake and still lose weight.
  • fobs13
    I don't think most people are looking to eat their cake....but up until using this site never really thought of weight training so it's something in addition to the cico formula.
  • ndj1979

*shrugs*

My point was, which maybe it was not clear, when people extrapolate that to others and say if you cut sugar then you will lose weight too …or go the extreme of saying "sugar is bad/evil/etc"….

If it worked for them great..but don't make the leap to the "sugar is evil"..

if that makes any sense???
  • glevinso
    glevinso Posts: 1,895 Member

*shrugs*

It's the mistaking correlation with causation that is the problem. What ends up happening is something like "I switched to diet soda, and got fatter, so clearly the diet soda made me fat".

The person obviously did experience a gain in weight, and did make a correlation to drinking diet soda, but incorrectly attributed the causation of the "getting fat" to "drinking diet soda".
  • longtimeterp

*shrugs*

My point was, which maybe it was not clear, when people extrapolate that to others and say if you cut sugar then you will lose weight too …or go the extreme of saying "sugar is bad/evil/etc"….

If it worked for them great..but don't make the leap to the "sugar is evil"..

if that makes any sense???

Totally agree with that, especially since everyone is unique.