225/135 Max-Rep Bench Press "Club"

Options

Replies

• redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Pushed 255# for one, and have a sweet video of my pathetic attempt at 265#. What's funny is the 255# went up fairly quickly after a small stick 1/4 of the way up. 265. No dice. At all.

Back to closed grip too.

Really? Must be a joint issue as you can press the lower weight for a ton of reps but you fail on the higher ones.. I would peg you for 315 or 320.
  • redfisher1974
    Options
    Then again i'm 8 beers deep and maybe not making sense...lol
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Naw, the joints are ok, not sure how I failed, but, well... *kitten*. I could post up the video. That's embarassing though. lol. I sent it to my coach, and his response was, "Well, guess what YOU GET TO WORK ON."
  • redfisher1974
    Options
    Do you do heavy weeks like 3 sets of 6? Not that the weight matters as its a means to no ends but it may help....
  • dbmata
    Options
    We do some heavy, some light, but the focus has been on bringing up strength and endurance, we're switching out to straight strength focus now, so my total rep volume will be considerably lower until Feb.

I've also deadlifted heavy twice this week. So, that might have something to do with it.
  • redfisher1974
    Options
    We do some heavy, some light, but the focus has been on bringing up strength and endurance, we're switching out to straight strength focus now, so my total rep volume will be considerably lower until Feb.

I've also deadlifted heavy twice this week. So, that might have something to do with it.

Possible, I bet if you try your 1RM after your days off with no warm ups it would be higher.
  • dbmata
    Options
    I would not be surprised. My hands still hurt from Tuesday and Wednesday.
  • jlclabo
    jlclabo Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    i do 225x20 for sets of 3-5... my meet PR paused is 350 pretty easily, so im figuring touch and go would be in the 375-380 range. ive not tested touch and go in quite a while, but last time i did, about 6 months ago, it was 365.
  • redfisher1974
    Options
    jlclabo wrote: »
    i do 225x20 for sets of 3-5... my meet PR paused is 350 pretty easily, so im figuring touch and go would be in the 375-380 range. ive not tested touch and go in quite a while, but last time i did, about 6 months ago, it was 365.

Beast! Good work.
  • jlclabo
    jlclabo Posts: 588 Member
    Options

Beast! Good work.

thanks... ill be happy when i have 4 plates on the bench paused... its my next long term goal. my next meet in march im projecting to hit 620+ squat/375 bench/610+ deadlift. gives me 4 months of training so we will see...
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options

I'm not sure the actually boost from the stretch rebound on touch and go but I certainly loose a about 10% or so when going from touch and go to regulation pause. 375 to 380 certainly seems a reasonable guess at your touch and go 1RM
  • dbmata
    Options
    How long is regulation pause?
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited November 2014
    Options
    How long is regulation pause?

About 2 seconds. Technically it's when the head ref says "lift" but it's about 1 to 2 seconds. Just long enough for them to feel that the stretch rebound effect has subsided and there is no momentum left from the bars decent.
  • dbmata
    Options
    That's a good pause.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    That's a good pause.

Feels like it, lol. Here is a link to the rules for IPF: powerlifting-ipf.com/22.html#c217
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    That's a good pause.

It feels like an eternity- I'm quiet positive my legal bench is shamefully/significantly lower than my regular bench- I hate stopping at the bottom- tears my elbows to shreds.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Yeah, I try to do a 2-4 count in my head on pause sets, and they are not my favorite. I tried a 1.5 with pause set once. I didn't have the mental strength to go past two sets. lol.
  • civilizedworm
    civilizedworm Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    Finally getting a little caught up here... and blowing off work...
    Interesting. Get a spotter, once you have to worry less about death, you might be able to rep more.

All in all, 9. Quit whining, that's bad *kitten*.
    Hey thanks. Not quite what I expected, but it was a nice test to see what I can and can not do. Been sore all week.
  • civilizedworm
    Options
    Some nice tonnage on the workout!
    I enter my workouts on BB, it came out to just over 12,000. Yeah not bad :)
  • civilizedworm
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    Well, that was a dose of humility and what reasonable expectations are.

135 x 10
    185 x 6
    225 x 9

I didn't have anyone to ask for a spotter since the trainers were out and only cardio bunnies on the other side of the gym. I did consider using the power rack, but I didn't want to piss off the potential person who would have used it, and wouldn't you know a guy did walk in later. At this point I figured I do more sets.

225 x 7
    225 x 6
    225 x 5
    235 x 4
    245 x 2
    185 x 12

I still have so much further to go to match even a shade of my former strength.

That's pretty much what I'd expect, nice work. No need to be disappointed. My 1RM bench is slightly higher than yours, and I'm pondering trying 225 for reps next month. I expect to get 10 most likely so it's right there.
    Thanks! And hey, if you do it, give a report.