So you want a nice stomach

Options

Replies

• psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I think we need to add 'when USMCMP gets called a man' to the MFP bingo card - seriously this happens sooo often!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    boi_toy wrote: »
    A guy cuts and pastes crap he found off the net and its the beat post in the world? #joke #sheeple

tumblr_inline_mn2e2430I81qz4rgp.gif
  • HealthyDreamy
    HealthyDreamy Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    BUMP :smiley:
  • mom3over40
    mom3over40 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I have a few questions I hope you could help me with:
    usmcmp wrote: »
    2. Strength training. If you want that toned mid section look you have to put some muscle there. If you just want a nice flat stomach muscle will still help it look tight. You can begin with Strong Lifts, a hypertrophy routine or a strength program from bodybuilding.com (free!). One that includes compound lifts like deadlift, squat, bench press and pull ups will help. Work on increasing the amount of weight you use. When the weight gets heavier you engage your core more and it builds the muscle.
    As a beginner, how much strength training will I need to do to see results? A few days ago, I tried the 10-week guided program on the You Are Your Own Gym app but found it quite time consuming: It takes almost 40 mins for a session, it is 50 mins with warm up and cool down and then it is 4 times a week. Will I see results for doing this 2-3 times a week for less than 30 mins each session?
    5. Patience! It is not going to happen overnight. If you stick with it you could lose around 1% body fat a month. We aren't going to be perfect all the time. Enjoy birthdays and holidays. It is life and things will happen. Don't stress, learn to love the process.

Obviously, it will take me longer if I want to do less but what should I expect? I want to find a sweet spot where I work hard enough to see results but not too much that I cannot sustain... With running, it seems like I can pick up where I left off if I am too busy and stopped for a week. But with strength training, it seems like I cannot do the same reps at the same weight I last did if I stopped for a week... Also, I am not sure what "markers" I should look for with weight training. I guess if I am more consistent, I should be able to use heavier weights but what else can I expect? Will my "work" show with measuring tape or the caliper? Will my weight loss slow down?

A little about myself and my progress: I started to lose weight in April but become more consistent in tracking my calorie intake and exercising after summer. I lose an average of 1 lb per week. I have already lost more than 20 lbs and almost at goal weight but I have only lost 4 inches from my waist. If I continue to lose at the same rate, my weight will drop below the healthy BMI before I have a flat stomach or even just a healthy waist to hip ratio. I figured that it is probably because I have not been very consistent with strength training as I did with running (it helped that I had my first 5k race yesterday)... Oh, and I use the gym's machine for weight training before I got the YAYOG app.

Thanks ahead for your advice!
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    mom3over40 wrote: »
    I have a few questions I hope you could help me with:
    2. Strength training. If you want that toned mid section look you have to put some muscle there. If you just want a nice flat stomach muscle will still help it look tight. You can begin with Strong Lifts, a hypertrophy routine or a strength program from bodybuilding.com (free!). One that includes compound lifts like deadlift, squat, bench press and pull ups will help. Work on increasing the amount of weight you use. When the weight gets heavier you engage your core more and it builds the muscle.
    As a beginner, how much strength training will I need to do to see results? A few days ago, I tried the 10-week guided program on the You Are Your Own Gym app but found it quite time consuming: It takes almost 40 mins for a session, it is 50 mins with warm up and cool down and then it is 4 times a week. Will I see results for doing this 2-3 times a week for less than 30 mins each session?
    5. Patience! It is not going to happen overnight. If you stick with it you could lose around 1% body fat a month. We aren't going to be perfect all the time. Enjoy birthdays and holidays. It is life and things will happen. Don't stress, learn to love the process.

Obviously, it will take me longer if I want to do less but what should I expect? I want to find a sweet spot where I work hard enough to see results but not too much that I cannot sustain... With running, it seems like I can pick up where I left off if I am too busy and stopped for a week. But with strength training, it seems like I cannot do the same reps at the same weight I last did if I stopped for a week... Also, I am not sure what "markers" I should look for with weight training. I guess if I am more consistent, I should be able to use heavier weights but what else can I expect? Will my "work" show with measuring tape or the caliper? Will my weight loss slow down?

A little about myself and my progress: I started to lose weight in April but become more consistent in tracking my calorie intake and exercising after summer. I lose an average of 1 lb per week. I have already lost more than 20 lbs and almost at goal weight but I have only lost 4 inches from my waist. If I continue to lose at the same rate, my weight will drop below the healthy BMI before I have a flat stomach or even just a healthy waist to hip ratio. I figured that it is probably because I have not been very consistent with strength training as I did with running (it helped that I had my first 5k race yesterday)... Oh, and I use the gym's machine for weight training before I got the YAYOG app.

Thanks ahead for your advice!

How much strength training should depend on your goals. In my opinion, if you are going to cut down a program to 2-3 days a week you should do the full 50 minutes. I manage to fit in 45 minutes worth of lifting 5-6 days a week because I cut way down on my rest times. If the program you fit doesn't work with your schedule then maybe find one that does because programs are written the way they are for a reason and changing them could impact your results.

What should you expect? I don't know. How accurate are you logging? How consistent are you with training? What's your intake? What's your TDEE? What are your macros like? Do you push yourself during training or do you just sort of do the workout? There are lots of factors that go into how fast or slow you will get results. Many of those factors will also dictate how much your running or lifting increases. If you are eating appropriately and pushing yourself every session you should be able to increase weights (I can't tell you how much you should be lifting because it's highly individual). Your weight loss might slow down if all other factors remain the same because you'll lose less lean mass, so the weight you will be losing is almost all from fat versus a mix of fat and lean mass.

Based on your BMI comment you need strength training to improve your body composition. If you want a flat stomach the mirror means more than the scale. Meaning at some point you might actually have to gain some weight. Since you have gym access I think something other than YAYOG would be more appropriate. Like Stronglifts, which has you lifting 3 days a week.

If you have more questions please send me a PM.
  • spydergirl47
    spydergirl47 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    This is definitely some solid advice. And diet is absolutely huge in getting rid of belly fat.

I've been working out and dieting religiously for the last 10 weeks. I've only lost about 2" off my waist and only 3 lbs on the scale. I'm eating about 1,300 to 1,600 calories a day and lifting 45 minutes a day, 4 to 5 days a week. Cardio is where I struggle. I hate the treadmill!

I'm already doing 90# deadlifts at home. Sounds like I may need to do some heavier squats than what I've been doing if I want to lose more fat. This plateau that I'm at is absolutely killing me!! On the plus side though, my strength and endurance has vastly improved over the past 10 weeks and I feel great. Last night at the gym I beat out several younger girls with a 3 1/2 minute plank. So that's something. I just want to lose more belly and thigh fat.

Thanks for the tips!! And for those of you that are just getting started, don't give up!!!
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    Love this post, really sound advice. (And, full disclosure, you are sort of telling me what I want to hear, because I HATE cardio and don't mind strength training, even though my abilities in that regard are pitiful)

I'd just add this to the commentary about the value of core/ab exercises and also that "bouncing back" after pregnancy bit.

My skin went back to being taut and smooth almost instantly after I had my first child at 28, a bit slower after the second at 31, and then, when I was 36 and had my third....nope. The collagen and elastin in your skin has so much to do with how it "bounces back," and that will vary a great deal between women and even in the same woman over time.

My personal 3-babies situation does make core/ab work important to a flatter tummy, but not for the reasons debated.

Spot reducing doesn't happen, it's not a thing. However, a large part of my personal "pooch" is because of severe diastasis in all 3 pregnancies. Particularly in my third, where I carried all the weight very uncomfortably and had severe atypical anemia, this led to enduring posture problems, exacerbated by desk work...leading to ongoing issues with anterior pelvic tilt. (Translation: Weak core, tight ligaments in front of hips, swayback, belly out, back pain.)

So, some spot TRAINING (not reducing) can be a benefit. A stronger core can help heal diastasis issues and enhance stronger posture habits, which generally give a leaner, flatter-tummied look.

also, I'm surprised that we are at 25 pages and this hasn't come up yet: The "All Cardio/No Weights" message that women have been getting for years is actually very detrimental to our health. Yes, cardio is good for your heart and lungs. But, many, MANY of us will ultimately suffer from BONE disease. If you run and run you may have a good strong heart. But, if you don't do some weight work, your bones are at risk. (especially if you cardio train yourself into amenorrheaa)
  • usmcmp
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    Love this post, really sound advice. (And, full disclosure, you are sort of telling me what I want to hear, because I HATE cardio and don't mind strength training, even though my abilities in that regard are pitiful)

I'd just add this to the commentary about the value of core/ab exercises and also that "bouncing back" after pregnancy bit.

My skin went back to being taut and smooth almost instantly after I had my first child at 28, a bit slower after the second at 31, and then, when I was 36 and had my third....nope. The collagen and elastin in your skin has so much to do with how it "bounces back," and that will vary a great deal between women and even in the same woman over time.

My personal 3-babies situation does make core/ab work important to a flatter tummy, but not for the reasons debated.

Spot reducing doesn't happen, it's not a thing. However, a large part of my personal "pooch" is because of severe diastasis in all 3 pregnancies. Particularly in my third, where I carried all the weight very uncomfortably and had severe atypical anemia, this led to enduring posture problems, exacerbated by desk work...leading to ongoing issues with anterior pelvic tilt. (Translation: Weak core, tight ligaments in front of hips, swayback, belly out, back pain.)

So, some spot TRAINING (not reducing) can be a benefit. A stronger core can help heal diastasis issues and enhance stronger posture habits, which generally give a leaner, flatter-tummied look.

also, I'm surprised that we are at 25 pages and this hasn't come up yet: The "All Cardio/No Weights" message that women have been getting for years is actually very detrimental to our health. Yes, cardio is good for your heart and lungs. But, many, MANY of us will ultimately suffer from BONE disease. If you run and run you may have a good strong heart. But, if you don't do some weight work, your bones are at risk. (especially if you cardio train yourself into amenorrheaa)

You're right. Some people need core/ab work to help correct muscle imbalances. That would improve the appearance of their belly and help with posture (which also improves the overall look of the mid section). Sometimes these issues correct themselves when doing compound lifts (because that takes great core stabilization) and sometimes people need direct work as corrective exercise.
  • HeySwoleSister
    Options
    Oh, but I'll also add that crunches -- usually the Go-To exercise of the "spot reducing" myth -- are TERRIBLE for those of us trying to heal a diastasis. Anything that involves pushing the abdominal muscles OUT is bad news for diastasis. Suck it in, pull tight. Honestly, Kapalbhati breathing in yoga helped my split quite a bit. (But, even 10 years after my last baby, If I try a crunch, I'll get the Ridge of Dooooooom. Do not want.)

Any advice on looking for a gym or trainer to learn about free weight work? (good questions to ask, etc) I don't even know what deadlifts and compound lifts ARE, to my shame, and I really don't want to develop any poor form habits that could cause injury, etc. I have been using wimpy hand weights for some basic moves and am happy that I already see some definition in my shoulders, but would like to add more weight and actually build strength. (and, for some moves, that 5 pound weight does have me shaking after 15 reps, such a weakling am I)
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Oh, but I'll also add that crunches -- usually the Go-To exercise of the "spot reducing" myth -- are TERRIBLE for those of us trying to heal a diastasis. Anything that involves pushing the abdominal muscles OUT is bad news for diastasis. Suck it in, pull tight. Honestly, Kapalbhati breathing in yoga helped my split quite a bit. (But, even 10 years after my last baby, If I try a crunch, I'll get the Ridge of Dooooooom. Do not want.)

Any advice on looking for a gym or trainer to learn about free weight work? (good questions to ask, etc) I don't even know what deadlifts and compound lifts ARE, to my shame, and I really don't want to develop any poor form habits that could cause injury, etc. I have been using wimpy hand weights for some basic moves and am happy that I already see some definition in my shoulders, but would like to add more weight and actually build strength. (and, for some moves, that 5 pound weight does have me shaking after 15 reps, such a weakling am I)

You can start learning a little bit about them online. Bodybuilding.com has a good exercise database (they also have free programs) with videos for all the exercises. You can also look into New Rules of Lifting for Women. There is some good information in there.

I'm not a fan of most of the trainers at local "big box gyms", but often they will give you a free evaluation and an initial session to try to sell you personal training. You can use the free session to see if they are willing to help you learn about the compound lifts (deadlift, squat, bench press are the big three, but often people include pull ups and overhead press). If they aren't willing to help you learn the things you would like and they just try to force you into a circuit workout then you know they aren't a good fit. You might also look into a local powerlifting gym just to get help building a strength foundation before venturing out on your own. They know the importance of good form.
  • HeySwoleSister
    Options
    Thanks. I'll look for a local powerlifting gym. My area has lots of what's trendy -- Cardio 24, various Crossfit and Melt outposts, and a godawful number of MLM "shake and workout" purveyors. I'm not interested in a trainer sending me on a circuit of machines I could figure out on my own. I want wise advice about good form on some basic lifts and guidance on what weights are best for me to start with. (And that last bit needs to come from someone who can watch me test weights, in the past when I'd use the machines at various gyms I could never get past the bare minimum on some, and on others I'd start at a weight that seemed high.)

I have New Rules of Lifting for Women in my Amazon basket already, I got lost on Bodybuilding.com when they started asking me what I was looking for in a workout. "I just want to get stronger and not injure myself in the process" was not an option.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I'll look for a local powerlifting gym. My area has lots of what's trendy -- Cardio 24, various Crossfit and Melt outposts, and a godawful number of MLM "shake and workout" purveyors. I'm not interested in a trainer sending me on a circuit of machines I could figure out on my own. I want wise advice about good form on some basic lifts and guidance on what weights are best for me to start with. (And that last bit needs to come from someone who can watch me test weights, in the past when I'd use the machines at various gyms I could never get past the bare minimum on some, and on others I'd start at a weight that seemed high.)

I have New Rules of Lifting for Women in my Amazon basket already, I got lost on Bodybuilding.com when they started asking me what I was looking for in a workout. "I just want to get stronger and not injure myself in the process" was not an option.

My humble opinion is that New Rules of Lifting for Women is an awesome investment. It's very simple and easy to understand--without all the jargon and acronyms. It's been a great tool for me. :smiley:

• CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options

My humble opinion is that New Rules of Lifting for Women is an awesome investment. It's very simple and easy to understand--without all the jargon and acronyms. It's been a great tool for me. :smiley:

You can go here and download pre-filled spreadsheets with all of the exercises to make it easier to understand. See the white box in the middle for instructions.

maggiewang.com/2008/05/20/new-rules-of-lifting-for-women-diet-calculator-and-workout-logs
  • _SandShoveller_
    _SandShoveller_ Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    usmcmp - OP - awesome awesome awesome. And from profile, you have obv "been there, seen it, done, got the abs" which is the best Qualificaton going as far as I am concerned.

Thanks for this.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    usmcmp - OP - awesome awesome awesome. And from profile, you have obv "been there, seen it, done, got the abs" which is the best Qualificaton going as far as I am concerned.

Thanks for this.

Thank you! I appreciate that!
  • louisedbatchelor1983
    Options
    I must admit I just went to the TDEE calculator and I am LOST!

MFP has worked for me, I started out in Jan this year at 121kg and following the recommended calories for the day & working out 5 times a week I am down to 93kg. I have my problem area which is my stomach and it's now beginning to get me down as I am not seeing the inches moving in that area, they have moved but it's slow and wondering if there is something else that I can do to help along.
    I currently have 5 workouts a week, coupled with daily walks of around 30mins in length in work from one side of the campus to the other.
    Workouts include
    1 x 1hr Bootcamp run by a Personal Trainor
    1 x 1hr Synrgy workout
    2 x 1hr legs, bums n tums
    1 x 4Km Run & then a 10 minute Ab program at home following a Level 2 ab workout

I guess my questions is... Should I be more patient? Is what I am doing enough? or am I missing something
  • usmcmp
    Options
    I must admit I just went to the TDEE calculator and I am LOST!

MFP has worked for me, I started out in Jan this year at 121kg and following the recommended calories for the day & working out 5 times a week I am down to 93kg. I have my problem area which is my stomach and it's now beginning to get me down as I am not seeing the inches moving in that area, they have moved but it's slow and wondering if there is something else that I can do to help along.
    I currently have 5 workouts a week, coupled with daily walks of around 30mins in length in work from one side of the campus to the other.
    Workouts include
    1 x 1hr Bootcamp run by a Personal Trainor
    1 x 1hr Synrgy workout
    2 x 1hr legs, bums n tums
    1 x 4Km Run & then a 10 minute Ab program at home following a Level 2 ab workout

I guess my questions is... Should I be more patient? Is what I am doing enough? or am I missing something

I don't know. I have no idea what your stats are. The reason I use the TDEE method is to ensure I eat as much as I can while still losing weight. Sounds like most of your workouts are basically cardio and abs. I would look into an actual strength training program.

Try this calculator: http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/
  • this1semma
    this1semma Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Bump for later reference
  • CherryChan81
    CherryChan81 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    great advice! thank you for this OP! <3o:)
  • iecreamheadaches
    iecreamheadaches Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    :3 youre awesome.