So you want a nice stomach

Options

Replies

• HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    My New Rules of Lifting for Women arrived yesterday afternoon! Whee! I pulled out my husband's dusty old 15 pound dumbbells (I've just been using my 5lb one to do tricep extensions at my desk while reading boring reports) and have the 25 lb ones on standby. Also, it seems we have two barbell options in this spectacular basement gym of ours...one is a "standard" looking straight bar, probably about 6 feet long? The other is slightly bent at grip points, seems shorter, too. Is there a standard weight to the bars? The straight bar currently has a 25 pound plate on each end, I can lift it up to my knees. The bent one has 2 ten pound plates on each side and I can get it up to my waist, but not use my arms to lift it to my shoulders.

I have no idea what this means. This is probably profoundly off-topic. LOL, off to find a beginners weightlifting thread....
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    If the bar looks like this then it's always 45 pounds. The shorter ones can be different but are usually half of that I think.
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I think it's called an EZ (curl) bar. Mine weighs 15 pounds according to my scale. I think they vary greatly in size/weight. You could always weigh yours to find out.

Olympic bars (the long straight one) are 45 lbs unless you have something unusual.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,377 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    My New Rules of Lifting for Women arrived yesterday afternoon! Whee! I pulled out my husband's dusty old 15 pound dumbbells (I've just been using my 5lb one to do tricep extensions at my desk while reading boring reports) and have the 25 lb ones on standby. Also, it seems we have two barbell options in this spectacular basement gym of ours...one is a "standard" looking straight bar, probably about 6 feet long? The other is slightly bent at grip points, seems shorter, too. Is there a standard weight to the bars? The straight bar currently has a 25 pound plate on each end, I can lift it up to my knees. The bent one has 2 ten pound plates on each side and I can get it up to my waist, but not use my arms to lift it to my shoulders.

I have no idea what this means. This is probably profoundly off-topic. LOL, off to find a beginners weightlifting thread....

The one that's "bent" is an ez curl bar. The straight bar at my gym weighs 20 lbs. At least that's what I'm going with because one person got 18 and the other got 22 when they weighed themselves with it. That would be the best way to figure it out, weigh yourself without and then with the bar.
  • HeySwoleSister
    Options
    I'll need to try the scale on the bars with and without collars. (the straight doesn't appear to be a full 7', so it might be shorter and lighter for a home gym.) The full set (there's a lat pulldown gizmo buried under the Halloween decorations as well) shall gradually find the light of day....
  • animall
    animall Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am always curious about one thing, is there any food to avoid to lose belly fat? Is it true this i have to cut away sugar, white flour etc. Sorry if this is a stupid question I'm still learning.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    animall wrote: »
    I am always curious about one thing, is there any food to avoid to lose belly fat? Is it true this i have to cut away sugar, white flour etc. Sorry if this is a stupid question I'm still learning.

No, not relative to body fat. Unless eating that food would cause you to end up in a caloric surplus.

You don't need to cut out any foods unless there is some underlying medical condition causing you to do so, or for other personal reasons.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    animall wrote: »

Nope. The only food to avoid is the one that makes you go over your calorie goal or the ones you are allergic to. Cutting out sugar, flour or anything else won't aid in fat loss. When your body fat gets lower you may notice certain foods cause minor bloating (like beans, which is normal), so cutting them out would reduce the intestinal bloat.
  • Lazygal53
    Lazygal53 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Bump ...
  • HeySwoleSister
    Options
    There is no one food to cut out to reduce FAT. Some people, however, find that eliminating certain foods does make their bellies less prominent.

For example, if I drink milk or eat ice cream, my belly will get a nice 36+ week pregnancy bulge. It's not fat. But, to be fair, it is a good warning to my loved ones that they are best off avoiding me for a few hours.

Stupid lactose.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    There is no one food to cut out to reduce FAT. Some people, however, find that eliminating certain foods does make their bellies less prominent.

For example, if I drink milk or eat ice cream, my belly will get a nice 36+ week pregnancy bulge. It's not fat. But, to be fair, it is a good warning to my loved ones that they are best off avoiding me for a few hours.

Stupid lactose.

That's what I said. Foods you are allergic to or foods that you find cause intestinal bloating. Milk would be both for you.
  • HeySwoleSister
    Options
    Yup.

Fortunately, mah belleh still likes yogurt and hard cheeses. I loves me some cheese.

My NRL4W schedule is a go for Monday. I shall return a veritable hulk, I'm sure. ;)

Or, just maybe....someday....I'll be able to open jars on my own.
  • slashnva
    slashnva Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have a question about fat loss.... Well i have been doing p90x2 for a month and im on my second week of phase 2. im getting really great results and im eating very very well. But I cant tell if my lower stomach fat is getting flatter.. Everything else is getting so much thinner i think its just the difference in how long it takes everything else to burn off compared to my lower stomach fat. I feel like I am looking fatter as my body fat percentage is going down even though my stomach fat is going away. I can tell im losing body fat because around my upper bladder area you can see where these really big indents are starting to form that goes up to my lower stomach and part of the sides of my lower stomach is flattening. my main question is when you are losing your "pooch" or lower belly fat. Does it start to go away from the top above your belly button or does it start to tighten from the bottom up? cause i see its tightening at the bottom but its still kinda big around my navel area. Thank you for whoever reads this and replies

• usmcmp
    Options
    slashnva wrote: »
    I have a question about fat loss.... Well i have been doing p90x2 for a month and im on my second week of phase 2. im getting really great results and im eating very very well. But I cant tell if my lower stomach fat is getting flatter.. Everything else is getting so much thinner i think its just the difference in how long it takes everything else to burn off compared to my lower stomach fat. I feel like I am looking fatter as my body fat percentage is going down even though my stomach fat is going away. I can tell im losing body fat because around my upper bladder area you can see where these really big indents are starting to form that goes up to my lower stomach and part of the sides of my lower stomach is flattening. my main question is when you are losing your "pooch" or lower belly fat. Does it start to go away from the top above your belly button or does it start to tighten from the bottom up? cause i see its tightening at the bottom but its still kinda big around my navel area. Thank you for whoever reads this and replies

How you lose depends entirely on how your body decides to lose. My top abs show first and eventually my bottom abs show. Some people lose evenly. Some people lose from the outside in, so their mid ab line doesn't show until the end. Take measurements and be patient.
  • slashnva
    slashnva Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    thank you for the reply... and to give you an idea of how its working so far for my results.. these are my results from day 1 to today. which is day 270m1w6wdpbu7d.jpg

usmcmp wrote: »
    slashnva wrote: »

How you lose depends entirely on how your body decides to lose. My top abs show first and eventually my bottom abs show. Some people lose evenly. Some people lose from the outside in, so their mid ab line doesn't show until the end. Take measurements and be patient.

• LRR2012
    LRR2012 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • crissyrox13
    crissyrox13 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cmoorofum
    cmoorofum Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Where can I get a PHE Slimming Belt??
  • usmcmp
    Options
    cmoorofum wrote: »
    Where can I get a PHE Slimming Belt??

No where in my advice did I suggest a slimming belt. Just curious what you think that it will do for you? I can tell you (because I tried one) that it will remove some water weight from the area temporarily. It won't remove the fat or encourage your body to burn the fat there first. Forget slimming belts and quick fixes. Go back and read what I wrote, then put those steps into action. You'll get actual results from my method, not just temporary water loss.
  • JoKnowsJo
    JoKnowsJo Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Ok, I love cardio and hate to lift because I am afraid that to much weight training will do this, and I don't want this:odu8qsquvsgz.png

This is what I would like to accomplish;mlbwasmudzu7.png

If I do just basic weight lifting can I just get a toned look or is what you are outlining here heading towards the muscle stuff woman in the top picture. Granted she must do several hours a day to continue that look so I have to ask...Do men find that over muscle look in women even attractive? Or is the more toned one more attractive, I have to ask....