What's your biggest weight loss / fitness pet peeve?

Options

Replies

• McBoffin
    McBoffin Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    People who say cardio is bad for weight loss.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    My two pet peeve terms:
    1. Clean eating. Means nothing. Describe the actual foods you are eating, not some trendy buzzword that means nothing
    2. Processed food. Also means nothing. If you are trying to avoid pre-packaged foods and things like heat-and-eat meals, why not use the more descriptive term of "convenience foods"

I thought that too about clean eating. I'm like, "no one cares!". But the processed thing, I just think of it as - I don't eat anything made from more than 5 or so ingredients (if bought from a store). I mostly eat fresh fruits, vegetables, poultry, nuts, etc.

That is why "processed" is as much of a nonsense term as "clean". It means different things to different people and doesn't really tell anyone anything specific. Unless you pick your own food from your garden, everything is processed.

• jvs125
    jvs125 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    "Oh, YOU can eat this and that, no matter how unhealthy it is, because you're soo tiny!". Well dude, If I ate everything you tell me I can have, I wouldn't be so tiny, and maybe if you worked as hard as I do, you'd be even more fit!
  • MelanieRBrace
    MelanieRBrace Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    My pet peeve is when people say, "You should watch it, you're going to get too skinny." I'm far from skinny and a long way from my goal weight. And, my goal weight is not skinny anyways.
  • 111YoYo111
    111YoYo111 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    "You don't need to lose weight you're beautiful just the way you are! So eat this."

Even the BMI chart says I'm overweight dude.

This coming from a dear friend who lost 120 lbs.
  • AlisonH729
    AlisonH729 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Honestly- That so many foods that are good for me give me room clearing gas.
  • xX7Jenny7Xx
    xX7Jenny7Xx Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    People who don't understand that "healthy eating" means different things to different people (even experts!)
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    AHainzl wrote: »

You aren't alone in that.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    SABOTEURS
    FOOD POLICE
    Basically anyone who tries to interfere with my autonomy and daily plan

One thing I haven't seen mentioned yet are foods that have that "halo" but have higher calories. We could put the whole gluten-free category here.

Oh, and people who try to diagnose you. A friend told me that since I carry weight in my belly, I must have a gluten sensitivity. Thanks Dr. Broscience, you have cured me of my weight problems.

ETA: I don't mean to disparage GF products if you need them for health reasons. But I see people using them to lose weight.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    Options
    The 350lb diabetic co-worker hassling me about my food choices (as he scarfs another chocolate bar) and commenting 'you know you have to eat like that the rest of your life, dude!!'

The 'clean eating' thing also drives me nuts... got another coworker who is rabid about 'clean' foods and she just about passes out when I eat chocolate or pizza or some other such 'bad' foods in front of her. Yes I eat lots of veggies and fruits as well - but nothing is 'off-limits' in my world!

'Bad Foods' is another... no such thing as bad foods... just bad choices (half a pizza instead of a single slice, etc).
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    People who don't know lane ettiquette in a lap swimming situation.

YES! I once had 3 college kids jump in my lane, and then they all started swimming at me, and then goofing off, etc. There were no other lanes open so I ended up using the kick board the whole time, since it was the only way I could avoid a collision. The lifeguard didn't handle it well and apologized afterward since they basically went against all lap swimming rules (in a lap pool during open lap swimming)
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    "I think the reason I cannot lose weight is because I dont eat enough" or " I cant lose weight because I dont have the time to exercise" >:)
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Pubes in the gym shower

People not reracking their weights

People not wiping their butt sweat off machines

When someone posts a gym selfie and there's someone looking at their phone in the background. THAT doesn't bug me what bugs me are the stupid comments people make about that person especially if that person is overweight. You don't know what they're doing. They could be switching out a playlist or recording a set. Shut up and mind your biz cuz on the phone or not they're running laps around you while you're sitting at home *kitten* talking.

When someone tells me I shouldn't eat something. I've lost 90 lbs, I think I know my body and what works for me now.

People who say certain foods are evil because they can't/won't stop eating them in abundance. Just because you don't have self control doesn't make the food evil. It just means you don't have self control and it's an area you gotta work on.

And just general *kitten* talking at the gym/online/in general about people's bodies/bodyshaming. Sometimes the younger girls at my gym make the bathroom sound like a middle school locker room.
  • KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Oh and the whole "sabotage" thing. Seriously. No one is forcing those donuts at work or free bread during family night at a restaurant down your throat. No one has to eat like you and no one is responsible for you or your actions but yourself.
  • radiatingkayla
    radiatingkayla Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    when people don't understand how I can eat vegan......"I could never give up cheese"
    I eat vegan more for health reasons than animal cruelty (although it is important!) but damn I have never been more regular and had more energy! that alone is enough reason to feel meh about cheese/dairy/meat/eggs
  • sweetdixie92
    sweetdixie92 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    People who say they're trying to lose weight (but can't), and then order a huge cheeseburger with fries and a soda at a restaurant. Girl...I know how many calories are in that!

My favorite one...when I tell some people I work out, run and ride bike, they inform me I don't need to because I'm already skinny enough. Ummm, hello? That is WHY I'm "skinny".

Girls who think they can only weight lift with 5 lb. dumbbells and 20 lb. bars. That's fine for starting, now move on!

Walking is better exercise than running. If you have all day to walk and aren't trying to really build up your cardio strength, sure.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    It's not a pet peeve, but just difficult. I restrict myself from a certain oil that is basically in everything nowadays. I go to my family's house for holidays/get togethers/parties and it is proclaimed that several things there don't have it in it and I can eat it, but they 100% do have it in there haha. It doesn't annoy me, but it always puts me in a difficult or bummed situation when I have to pass. Everyone has a mom so I'm sure you'll understand.

That would piss me off no end.

But I have to say, that my mom and I are very close and she is very mindful and detail-oriented. And, she would have made all of the food. If that happened with us, I would be convinced she had either developed some form of dementia, or that she had done it on purpose.

But, back to the OP...

I'm at goal weight, but I still hear the same basic comments that irritate me:

'Oh, you're on a diet (so thin), I'm sure you can't eat <insert high calorie food item>'.
    'I'm sure stealthq won't want to eat at <high calorie restaurant> - she's on a diet (so thin)'.
    'You don't understand. I'm sure you eat healthy all the time, but I don't like salads.'

It's always the same people, too. As though the last time they said this and I did exactly the opposite with a 'WTF are you talking about' expression on my face wasn't enough proof for them.

That last comment was made about 2 seconds after I finished eating some dark chocolate pecan toffee squares. I held up the bag and asked them if candy met the 'healthy food' classification. I didn't get an answer.
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    AHainzl wrote: »
    - yup ^

• NerdieMcChub
    NerdieMcChub Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    loose vs lose.... makes me crazy.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    amcook4 wrote: »
    People who don't know lane ettiquette in a lap swimming situation.

YES! I once had 3 college kids jump in my lane, and then they all started swimming at me, and then goofing off, etc. There were no other lanes open so I ended up using the kick board the whole time, since it was the only way I could avoid a collision. The lifeguard didn't handle it well and apologized afterward since they basically went against all lap swimming rules (in a lap pool during open lap swimming)

This is part of the reason I haven't added swimming in to my exercise yet - I know there's etiquette rules to using my gym's pool, but they're not posted anywhere and I'd hate to be the *kitten* getting in everyone's way. One of these days I'll remember to ask.