WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2014

Options

Replies

• trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Good afternoon. Sunny but cold day here.Have BD & Christmas cards ready to go after getting last 2 GCs in the morn.Tomorrow will be in high 40's,so plan to do a lot of errands. PO,library,grocery, & DH has a few stops to make.......gonna be a looong day.That is ok tho,making hay while the sun shines,as someone said :D

As usual,my post was cut way down. MFP hasn't a clue,so not sure I will keep trying.Thankfully,keeping track of food still works.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,694 Member
    Options
    DFIL was wonderful this morning, mornings the best part of the day for him...made him some dinner will take that down in a little while, did laundry and did some more packing,made blueberry muffins and packed them with other stuff for the grandkids out in Wisconsin.. will mail that out tomorrow... going to be a busy first week when we get to Florida, the day after we get there are neighbors that used to live behind us are coming from the east coast and staying overnight, were we are lower middle class,they are upper middle class, never had children so alot more cash flow.. but just love them to death,going to take them out to a nice waterview resteraunt ,,, then my DB and DSIL and her mom come on thursday through sunday.. will go down to Sanibel on Saterday.. that will be fun...
    DH is cleaning the sink and the kitchen right now.. will stay out of his way...
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,199 Member
    Options
    Well, I did paint my bedside table and DH painted his. It's onlly with vinyl silk, so it's only posh emulsion, but it does the job for the time being.
    I commit to getting my Christmas cards done tomorrow. DH has already done his. Carpet in the pm.
    Will have to start making a catering list tomorrow. So far it's only in my head - which is busting! ! ! !

Love Heather x x x x
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Michelle, how about pecans? I agree with whoever said to stick to the nut family. I liked the roasted chickpeas idea, but if they wouldn't eat almonds, I doubt that they would eat them. Maybe if you got cinnamon almonds, they would be more popular.
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Monday morning here and Day 2 week 3 of Jeannette's 15 week challenge.
    Wii Gold's boxing, Cardio kick-boxing and 1 hour walk for training today.
    Washing all bed-linen and drying on line.
    Last week I LOST 1.54 lbs and 2.5 inches overall.
    A lady in health food shop advised me to cook in coconut oil. I have a non-stick pan and do not use oil, interesting
    Lesley in Tasmania
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,534 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:
    run @ chambers bay w/yogi- 48.45min, 10.40ap, 4.6mi
    walk @ chambers bay w/winkle n floyd- est 15min, .1mi (winkle pooped)
    run @ chambers bay back to car 11.16min, 8.11ap, 1.4mi

bullwinkle is not even made for walking anymore, poor girl *she's the darker one in front* she was having a hard time walking and when she didn't wanna walk, she didn't. we are going to have to get the carrier out 2m8watp3ftss.jpg

we got it for rocky when he couldn't go on longer walks, now it's bullwinkle's turn.
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

Terri - HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    oops - here's the rest

Robin and Cynthia - sending hugs

Heather - enjoyed the info about holiday celebrations. The meal you are planning sounds yummy.

Sylvia - sounds like you have some wonderful, caring friends

Yanniejannie - sorry that yoga didn't fix the back pain. I do stretch yoga and it helps my back (which has also been acting up lately).

Sassy - the Christmas customs sound so interesting. I knew about some of them but much of what you shared was new to me.

jb - appreciated the quote from Dr. Weil. I am trying to take it to heart.

Lesley - congrats on the weight loss. I weigh in on Monday. Hope I lose, too.

I did some Christmas shopping yesterday and got inspired to decorate a bit when I got home. Our little tree looks so sweet. DH said it made him so happy to know I wanted to decorate this year. (smaller scale than we used to do but cheerful)
    This afternoon I did a water workout. Sun. is usually my day "off" but I enjoyed going for a change of pace. I was trying to get some too big swimsuits to a friend but she didn't show. Feels good to be shrinking and needing smaller suits!

Toni in Tennessee
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Hi all! Thanks for your prayers and good wishes my daughter. She is still struggling a lot but going to every therapy session they offer to see if she can pick up tips to help cope with life. I feel so very bad for her! I went to the grocery store on the way home from feeding her cats tonight to get some convenience foods. Until she is released, I will be leaving home at 7:45 a.m. and getting home around 9:30 p.m. so I need some easily packable meals and snacks that don't take prep time or lots of refrigeration. The sodium will be horrible, but I have to be flexible on some part of my nutrition.

Emotional eating is getting the best of me some days, but it's nowhere near where it would have been two years ago. I'm not trying to lose during this time, just maintain.

I still haven't caught up with reading yet, but I did see lots of doggy pictures!

Hope everyone is well...

Carol in NC
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    I'm finally home from the pottery show. It closed at 4:00 and we were all packed up and gone by 5:00. We don't waste any time. Once I got home hubby went up to the studio with me to unload the van. Now I'm happily sitting in my recliner with a Spot sleeping sweetly on my lap.

So, I'm off to work on some drafting. Goodnight everyone!

Sylvia

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,337 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of Pilates for Beginners by Kristin McGee today. Tomorrow's plan is to finish up the Quick Tummy Toning DVD, hold my plank, and then take the extremepump class. Then go to the post office to mail the package to Penn's family, then to Food Lion to see if they carry a broccoli/cauliflower mix and if they don't then bowling after that stop at BI-LO where I know they carry it.

Heather - brazils -- do you mean brazil nuts. A dried fruit might be a good idea. I love different Christmas ornaments. I really don't like boxes of like 6 of the same type.

cynthia - I'd be afraid that the veggies would dry out. Congrats on the great loss

Jan - wonder if soy nuts would get eaten by anyone except me? Guess it's worth a try

Exercised, had breakfast, then went and put out Christmas decorations.

Lesley - what kind of non-stick pans do you use? I don't like to use the t-fal ones, too much chance that they'll chip and scratch. Also, I don't find the non-stick coating to be that good. Now there is another type, I think it's called green organics or something like that. Anyway, the non-stick feature of it is quite good.

pipcd - love the carriers you have for the dogs. Good idea so you can run.

Michele in NC
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,048 Member
    Options
    Terri smiley-greet006.gif Happy Birthday
    :heart: MNMargaret
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I use the saphire blue ones, non-Tfal
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    I feel I have been absent for awhile. I'm just kind of spaced out lately!!!! But I love you all.

My trio sent very well today. One of the ladies is our choir director, she was standing on the middle. She has a very strong voice and was trying to hold back so her voice wouldn't dominate, especially since she wasn't singing soprano. Well I felt like her voice was the only one I heard but some one said tonight that she tried to pick out any individual voice and she couldn't. We were that well blended. I had never heard of the song until she gave us the music a couple of months ago to start practicing. But I have been out of the church for I know at least 6 years. But quite a few people said it was one of their favorite Christmas songs and is mainly sung in cantatas. I guess that's why I had never heard of it. It was when I dropped out of the choir that I started missing church service after service. That is why it is so important to me to be in the choir again. It is a commitment that I can not break

Tonight was the children's play. They wrote it themselves and wrote some of the music and other music was from other people, like the song from God's not dead. Anyway, it kind of started with the birth of Jesus, why He was born and His whole purpose in life and death. The whole thing was written around the theme of an aquarium. They had angel fish, the younger kids, and then big nasty sharks, the older kids. So they went into the whole bullying thing and how to handle that. One of the angel fish got the courage to talk to one of the sharks and how God loves her also even if she is mean. BTW, the angel fish an shark were the preacher's kids. It was funny to see little one being bullied by her older sister, sister have courage to talk to her and then they eventually end up hugging each other. In between each scene came the clown fish. They only have 3 boys in the kids choir so they were all clown fish. So they told jokes and just kind of clowned around. One of the boys is autistic so they played to his strength. When they were doing knock jokes and 'what to you get when cross a whatever with a whatever', he would say in a loud voice WHAT. Then we went to the fellowship hall for light snacks and the annual Gingerbread competition. The winning one was an entire rotating carousel with reindeer instead of horses. It also had a park like setting completely surrounding it. Gorgeous. He said he doesn't enter the big city wide competition that actually gives cash prizes. He said he does it just for the fun with his kids, wife and Mom

I must confess I had a most delicious snack. The way it tasted it was cream cheese frosting with chocolate chips stirred into it. It was served as a dip with the little honey graham bears.

Allison, really does sound like your FIL has sundown syndrome. I would suggest you call the nursing home in the evening when he is worse and during the day. Is there any one nurse who you really trust as some one who will be very honest with you? Could you leave some cookies that are his favorite from YOU that he would recognize as yours so they could give his occasionally? Even on his bad days he is used to at least hearing your voice, smelling your scent, just knowing you are there whether he says it or not. It may sound kind of corny but even if you had a favorite blanket or throw that smells like you and they put it on his bed.

Joyce, Indiana
  • shelbyfit72
    shelbyfit72 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I will now post the picture of DH'S nephew, the child and DH's niece when they were reunited with the abducted child in the Philippines. We have had an email from DH'S sister to say that there were tearful goodbyes, but the child is now sleeping soundly, presumably in the hotel. We think they will arrive home tomorrow.
    For anyone who doesn't know, the mother took the child to the Philippines, where she comes from, and left her there with her family and came back to England, supposedly to work. All without the permission of DH'S nephew, the daddy. The couple separated earlier this year.

higy3f20muo4.png

How exhausted, but happy the daddy looks!
    Three family members went out to fetch his daughter back - DH'S sister, the daddy and the aunty.

We have just been down to the council dump to get rid of some old electrical equipment, most of which will be reused after reconditioning, :bigsmile: , and we took a big box of books to the charity shop. I'm sure we can find a few more! :laugh:

Tomorrow I'm going to make the starter for the Tuesday evening dinner before Christmas when DS and family are staying. Adults only dinner. It is a kale and chard tart from Ottolenghi. I picked the last of the cavallo nero and chard from the garden, along with lots of herbs which are still alive, so the tart will be nearly all home grown! ! ! :love: Don't you just love freezers! ! ! !

Heather in colder Hampshire UK

27681614.png

I am so sorry
  • shelbyfit72
    shelbyfit72 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I will now post the picture of DH'S nephew, the child and DH's niece when they were reunited with the abducted child in the Philippines. We have had an email from DH'S sister to say that there were tearful goodbyes, but the child is now sleeping soundly, presumably in the hotel. We think they will arrive home tomorrow.
    For anyone who doesn't know, the mother took the child to the Philippines, where she comes from, and left her there with her family and came back to England, supposedly to work. All without the permission of DH'S nephew, the daddy. The couple separated earlier this year.

higy3f20muo4.png

How exhausted, but happy the daddy looks!
    Three family members went out to fetch his daughter back - DH'S sister, the daddy and the aunty.

We have just been down to the council dump to get rid of some old electrical equipment, most of which will be reused after reconditioning, :bigsmile: , and we took a big box of books to the charity shop. I'm sure we can find a few more! :laugh:

Tomorrow I'm going to make the starter for the Tuesday evening dinner before Christmas when DS and family are staying. Adults only dinner. It is a kale and chard tart from Ottolenghi. I picked the last of the cavallo nero and chard from the garden, along with lots of herbs which are still alive, so the tart will be nearly all home grown! ! ! :love: Don't you just love freezers! ! ! !

Heather in colder Hampshire UK

27681614.png

I am so sorry

that is amazing hope things workout
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,694 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    yesterday was a sort of busy day.. but thats ok, we are on vacation count down
    i did make some hamburger and beans for DFIL last night and fed that o him, OT is working with him and his eating.. took him quite awhile to chew even though it was ground hamburger and the beans were soft. I gave him sips of water in between..
    he is on a modifed ground diet ,so even though the chocolate chip cookies are soft they have to have water near by.
    he was increadably sweet yesterday morning. verbal, and told us he would miss us.. we went to see him around 5 pm, they had just given him a shower and he was in bed, but he was awake!!! I think that the darn meds are leaving his system and he is doing a bit better...
    I know I wish there was some way that we could actually see him while we are gone.. ..I dont think anything will happen while we are away and that ,I will be calling daily.. and they know that...
    Joyce will try and leave something there for him..
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,199 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Good morning!

DH has gone off to get some cash to pay the carpet layers. For some reason they are always paid in cash.

Shelley - thanks for good wishes. I have only heard that the little girl is well settled with her dad. What happens over custody in the long term is not sorted yet. :ohwell:

Still feeling a little overwhelmed by all our Christmas visitors. I reslise I have made a rod for my own back by cooking so well, but I'm stuck with it. :laugh: We will be going out for the occasional dinner. My DSIL, the granny of the little girl, is coming on New Years Day with her boyfriend. They are staying the night, he is going back the next day and she is staying another night. We don't yet know if her daughter is coming as well. The boyfriend is a vegetarian and doesn't like mushrooms. :ohwell: I got my vegetarian file out yesterday and think I have some ideas. We will eat out at a local pub the following night. One is five minutes walk, but the best one is half an hour's walk up our unlit lane. Torches out! ! ! ! :laugh: Also not sure when DH'S DD#1 is coming. :ohwell: Or exactly when DH'S DD#2 is coming I.e.how many meals. I need to start writing things down.

Will do my Christmas cards today after we have moved a couple of chests of drawers. DH put them out on the landing, but they are blocking easy entry to the bedroom. :sad: The carpet men will have to move bed bases and huge bookshelves.

All will be over and peaceful tonight. :bigsmile: Feeling a tiny bit stressed, but it's good stress. :laugh:
    Did 603 calories this morning.

Heather in sunny Hampshire UK
    27681614.png
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Hi, all,

How many days in a row can it be gray and gloomy? I think we are going for a record.

Happy birthday, Terri!!!!

Heather........Hope the work in your home is going well and all will be settled by tonight. You holiday visitor schedule is daunting; I would be so panicked!!!

I'm off to the gym; later have that exercise groups' Christmas luncheon. We always have this at a place a bit upscale with a water view.......this is the one I look forward to the most as we see people we don't normally see anymore, women who, for one reason or another, don't come to the gym anymore.

Toni......I had my DD stretch out my back before she left for the stable early this am.....went to bed feeling pretty good, got up worse than ever......starting to feel some relief now between balance ball,Tylenol Extra, and the stretch. Sorry your back is acting up too; may we both find relief!!!!

Carol........Hope your DD finds what she needs to get her balance back......kudos to you for being there for her!!!

Best to everyone.
    Stay strong!
    yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic

• bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,749 Member
    Options
    Carol ... "coping with life" seems to be my son's biggest migraine trigger. Watching him struggle with anxiety this morning as he got ready for school for the first time in three weeks was pitiful. Praying for your daughter (and my son) ... when did life get so hard for young people?

This same son played the guitar during communion for two church services yesterday. My husband had over 10 different conversations afterwards ... and I had about 5 ... with people who spoke about our son's gift ... he played "Mary, Did You Know" and one of his own compositions. He plays with a confidence and calm that is at odds with his inner turmoil. No one is aware of his anxiety. I so wish he could apply what he accomplishes with his guitar to other areas of his life ...

All the decorating is done. Shopping ... not much accomplished. Baking ... none yet. Although I did try out the KitchenAid mixer ... so now I know what creamed butter and sugar is supposed to look like!

Doesn't happen often ... not eating much ... usually the opposite when I'm stressed. Not sleeping past 4:00 ... hoping that changes soon ... I don't need to get sick.

Busy week ahead. Hope you all have a great day!
    Beth