WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2014

Options

Replies

• kgangl1028
    Options
    Hi Ladies. I'm late to join but this is a fabulous group. Thanks for the tips on how to mark a group.
    Kelly from Indiana (living in Miami, Florida temporarily)
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,052 Member
    Options
    Yanniejannie you are right about the insurance. We just received our home owner policy and they added two features and would have charged us for them had I not questioned it. I learned if you get a new roof or furnace contact your insurance because they sometimes lower your rate for that year. Switching health insurance is going to save us hundreds a month.

This also happened to us with our trash. We had the same carrier for years. We started with them because they offered a lower rate. I discovered how much they were overcharging us when I found out what my mom paid for trash. At the end the company was charging us a rate like we were a family of six. It was just the two of us at that point. Unfortunately it takes time and effort to make a switch. Companies know this and this is how they make their money. Our next bill that I know we pay too much for is our T.V. service.

:heart: MNMargaret
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,549 Member
    Options
    Yeah Cynthia -

My stats todsy for the ellipticsl/cross trainer:
    I did 20.1 mins and went a mile. I averaged around 3.3 mph at 15 resistance, so uphill. My heart rate, taken towards the end, was 134. I burnt 135 calories.
    Total for all machines was 533 calories. I then did 25 minutes strength training for which MFP gives me around 80 cals (haven't checked yet) So 613 cals today - Hooray! :bigsmile:

The good news is that I have lost my "indulgence" pound and now I'm back at my target weight! ! ! ! ! !, , , , :drinker: I'm going to carry on as I am for a bit as I would like a couple of spare pounds for all the Christmas nonsense. :bigsmile:

Love to all. Heather in gloomy Hampshire UK

27681614.png

My ticker is now completely truthful. :bigsmile:

contrats on your stats and your success!

• terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Good Thursday Morning!

Barbie and Michele NC - It ended up that preparing my day for 2 slices of pizza last night was a waste of time and energy. You just can't get 12 boys and 5 girls make 10 pizzas be enough, so by the time I arrived, all the pizza was gone. Therefore, I ate 2 pieces of left-over pizza when I got home. I finally have DH trained to get thin crust vegetable for me. I only put 2 slices on my plate and put the rest in the refrigerator. Otherwise, I would have no control.

We have found a similar situation as others with Insurance. After DH was in 3 accidents in 2 weeks, our rates shot through the roof, even though we have had State Farm for decades. We now have Geiko, after getting discounted quotes through our banks and employer (the only thing I don't like about Geiko is they spend so much time and energy trying to convince me that I have to take my car to a particular location for repairs, which is untrue). We are definitely spoiled regarding health insurance, since we both work for QuadGraphics, which has it's own clinic systems, and clinics contracted at other businesses.

So far today it is 22 degrees, but very little snow. Tonight is Holiday Lites in Miller Valley. they have beverages, and adult beverages, and snacks, in addition to entertainment before during and after the big "presentation". I'm certain DS will under-dress, so I brought an extra hat for him (he can choose between Santa or pastel beads).

My Aunt has asked me to make her a pair of fingerless gloves, so that is my next project. I hope to have them finished by next week, and I will try to post a picture when they are complete. But my niece has asked for a lavender baby set, and her daughter is due in late January, so I need to work on that, too. DS has a bunch of bowling again this weekend (and DH is working third shift this weekend), so I should be able to make a big dent in both projects.

If anyone is living in the hard-hit area of California (or anywhere unsafe, for that matter),
    I hope you are safe.

Sending good thoughts and Prayers to you all ! ! !

Terri in Milwaukee
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    DianaLovesCoffee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Birthday #3 this week but it is my soldier son who is in San Antonio, TX. So no treats. I checked the mail and his birthday package is scheduled to deliver today right on schedule (Yay US Mail!) He called last night and we talked about nothing and everything for about 30 minutes. That's a long time for a teenage boy! We are anxious for him to get a 10 day leave at the end of December and come home.

Tonight is a Christmas dinner for the area Pastors. Wasn't sure what to wear since they said "Sunday attire". We are a casual contemporary style church so normal Sunday attire is jeans and a sweater for us. :blush: Since I don't think that's what they intended, I'm wearing a skirt and blazer and boots. It is buffet style so I will be able to load up on the salad portion and skimp on the heavy stuff.

Feeling under the weather. Just a head cold but enough to just want to wrap up and sleep.

Be encouraged! Lots of fun (non-food) stuff that can be done this month. So get out and play!

Diana in Northeast Indiana
  • wessecg
    wessecg Posts: 410 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Day 4 and I am pumped. 4 days of treadmilling and a little bit of weights. I know I've already lost a few pounds but I won't log it until Friday. The first few always come off fast and I am so up that it's hard to get excited about being "down" to 45 pounds overweight.
    Saturday is our annual Christmas party so that will be a challenge. I will allow myself to eat (or drink) all of my exercise calories that day .

Barbiecat - you are the animation queen. I've attached a bad picture of my poodle. he was groomed yesterday so he is pretty again.

Megblair - I will miss you calling me Carol :)

Exermom - Pretty? Thanks but I long ago realized I am not a pretty fat person, and when I lose the weight, I'll look better but older. Thanks ok though.

Yanni - my horse is VERY sweet, and she's a girl (mare). <3

You can get ride of red eye, but not devil eyes >:)

azvopud2dsqg.jpg

• mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Just checking in. No time to chat this morning. Another REALLY busy day!

I hope you are all having a great day!

Sylvia
  • Sweetvirgo63
    Sweetvirgo63 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Joining in.

I did my walk on Monday, Tuesday was a day off & yesterday was a write-off; will walk it home from work if I can't do one at lunch time. I also want to increase my strength workouts during December.

Got excellent report on my annual check-up this morning so all's good. :D
  • sweetnsassyfied
    sweetnsassyfied Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Popping in as promised earlier. ;) Hubby returns tonight from Poland!! YaY! :D Normally when he returns from business trips its like Chistmas to me. Cant sleep have tp stay awake until he gets home. But since it is Christmas I guess I will have to say .. its my birthday!! lol

hi carol... welcome! I hear you on the sweets. I am famous for my "C" words being a cure all; cakes, cookies, chinese, carbonara, and choclate. If something is going wrong in my world one of those c-words will fix it! lol

Juanita... good luck with your sister

Heather... Thanks for the bread recipe! Your grandchildren are so cute. 18 pies in one day??!!?? I couldnt fathom doing such a feat. lol Congrats on getting back down to your target weight.

Sylvia... Congrats on the weight loss! I loved the article and pictures too. If those were some of your least favorites, I would adore to see the ones you liked... those were gorgeous!

Diane... hubby well enough to hit the sales! woot! What a funny NSV. lol I hope ypu feel better soon.

Pip... Your Before and After photos are fabulous! What an achievement first place!!

Barb... Having lived in an orphanage along with foster families, it was an important lesson for me to teach my children about others who are less fortunate. The way you did it was beautiful! :)

Robin... When l read about your fire my heart beat a little faster. l love how your handling the whole thing. l think after all was said and done by the evening my knees would of been shaking and l would of been in tears. Now l love to redecorate just as much as the next gal, how about next time no fire. ;) hugz

Yannijannie... I think a lot of us get sentimental around the holidays. Especially while remembering loved ones and celebrations. The special things they did to make the holidays so bright. :) As I prepared for the holidays after taking over the riegns of some of my favorite family traditions, my children would sometimes laugh at me or ask why I was going to so much trouble over something and I would tell them; Because its tradition. Tradition is not to preserve the ashes but to pass on the flame. ;)

Beth.. l'm so not worthy....~bows low~ the next time i need something pricey l am coming to you first so we can surf the web of bargains together! Not only did I laugh out loud at the mixer story but I read it to my hubby and said; sound familiar??!!?? LOL

Joyce... I love how your parents kept such records. I am an adopted. Found my biological family when my oldest was a baby. I would be more like your mom, its the stories behind ;).
    Toni... not fond of dogs but friends.

Steff... incredibly large family! Christmas must be awesome at your house!! :)

Rita... Good for you for getting to the gym! I used to tell myself on those days that I didnt want to go... I'll just go for 15 minutes. Once I was there I did my whole routine. :) It was just getting me there...lol

Michelle... I was so excited to read you make your own peirogi's. I make mine too from my Great -grans recipe. :) I hope you post pics of you in your elf costume!

Wess... I am glad you back too! The more the merrier on this journey eh. My my my what a dapper dan of a dog you have there. :)
  • Stpjudge
    Stpjudge Posts: 129 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Hi all, two confessions: 1. I'm new and 2. I won't be 50 until March but these seems like such a wonderful group of positive ladies I really want to participate with you. Here are my resolutions for December:

December Resolutions
    * 10,000 steps every single day
    * Strength training / crossfit 2x week
    * Eat Paleo 3x week
    * Enjoy the holiday season

Stephanie
    Northern Virginia
  • pipcd34
    Options
    Stpjudge wrote: »
    Hi all, two confessions: 1. I'm new and 2. I won't be 50 until March but these seems like such a wonderful group of positive ladies I really want to participate with you. Here are my resolutions for December:

December Resolutions
    * 10,000 steps every single day
    * Strength training / crossfit 2x week
    * Eat Paleo 3x week
    * Enjoy the holiday season

Stephanie
    Northern Virginia

It's ok. I have two confessions, 1. I DEFINATELY don't act my age and 2. I can't think of another confession. welcome
  • pipcd34
    Options
    n6ye1u7l6vmj.jpg
    Floyd's first vet visit.. (he's 5 now)
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Good day.No water yet,guy here.
    Looked at 2 places,no pets.
    HUGS
    jane
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Heather: Your exercise stats impress me. In fact, I feel quite lazy by comparison. I know you do a lot of exercising to earn calories because you’re a gourmet. I eat too, but I am no gourmet. Too many food sensitivities spoil my fun. I did eat real clam chowder last night for the first time in decades. It was wonderful. We’ve found a lactose free, hormone free milk and I’m exploring my limits. I also took lactaid as an additional precaution. So far I seem to be doing fine. Good news for me AND for DH. This means he can have his favorite foods with less guilt and no need to cook two separate dinners. :heart: :flowerforyou:

Beth: I’m way behind with Christmas decorating, too, although I’m pretty good on gift buying. We’re going to be travelling so much during the month that I’m having a hard time motivating myself to put up the usual mass of decorations. :flowerforyou:

Kelly from IN: Welcome! :flowerforyou:

MNMargaret: In our area garbage is a franchise awarded by the city so there is no actual competition for the consumer. You choose to get service, or you don’t. We can adjust our bill by adjusting our level of service, though. We have garbage and recycling service, which involves two large cans. Some of the neighbors recycle every other week and pay a lower fee. We haven’t done that yet, although we don’t have a full recycling bin every week. Perhaps we’ll consider it. Glass is not part of the recycle service. We have to take it to the local waste transfer station to have it recycled. As to TV—we have satellite service. After our initial “introductory offer” they started signing us up for things we didn’t want. We switched to non-automatic pay and gave them hell. Their business ethics are hideous. We still have several years on our contract with them, so we watch our bills like hawks. :devil: :flowerforyou:

Cheryl: Nice picture of your poodle. I’ve always been attracted to gray poodles but never owned one. :flowerforyou:

Sweetnsassyfied: Congratulations on your DH coming home from a trip. Soak in all the hugs you can get. I love this quote from you, “Tradition is not to preserve the ashes but to pass on the flame.” I may adopt it! :heart: :flowerforyou:

Stephanie: Welcome, young whippersnapper! :flowerforyou:

I went to yoga today and was almost late. I slept in! That doesn’t happen very often. The sleep was divine, however. I have four sessions left with this teacher before she moves on to another phase of life. It will be hard to find a new teacher, but it will be my New Year’s task. I’m thinking about gifts for goodbye, and am considering flowers or a Rosemary topiary. Suggestions welcome. This woman has made a huge difference in my life and health. I want to send her off knowing she’s been appreciated.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Tradition is not to preserve the ashes but to pass on the flame.” sweetnsassyfied

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

December Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep.

30881843.png
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,752 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Wessecg ...

I think Michele was right, your photos are pretty ... you appear to be enjoying yourself ... you're smiling. Those are pretty things.

I know for myself that I often make self-deprecating comments to cover up how I feel about myself or how I believe others perceive me. I recently read the following quote from Louise Hay: "You've been criticizing yourself for years and it hasn't helped. Try approving of yourself and see what happens." I think at age 52 it's about time I tried that.

Wessecg ... on second thought, your photos are not pretty ... they and you are beautiful.

Beth

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    Options
    Katla - I LOVE the idea of a rosemary topiary! Congrats on finding a lactose free milk. I love chowder!

Today was hectic with painter, wallpaperer and gutter man. It was also the cleaner's afternoon! ! ! Everyone had a mince pie! Not me. o:) The good news is that I got some royalties from an old children's book. The royalties are from the US where the book is used in schools and has been for years. It's called THE TROUBLE WITH HERBERT and is about a guinea pig. I wrote it in the 80s ! ! ! Now I can buy a few more Christmas presents. :bigsmile:

I cooked the game stew with some red wine and had about half a bottle left. We poured it out and were enjoying a glass. I went into the kitchen to serve the dinner and heard a crash and a shout from the living room. DH had knocked his glass flying! It was all over two sofas, the rug and the floor! He was distraught, I was just secretly pleased that it wasn't me who had done it as I am prone to that sort of thing. He did his best with a bowl of soapy water and I fine tuned the cleaning. Bless!

Tomorrow I will post my rowing stats. That's rowing as in machine, not arguments! ! ! :laugh:

Love Heather in Hampshire UK
    27681614.png
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    Cynthia – LOVED the video!!! Especially the taking down the tree!!! We need that here.

Beth - To funny with hubby showing you how to use a mixer! He would die when I teach summer cooking camp and let 10 - 8 year olds loose on 3 kitchen aids with 2-3 minutes of training…. I spend more time showing them how to wash dishes!!! I figure if they can work a smart device they can run a mixer!

Barbie – Levi would love to walk twice a day, but I just need a few more hours each day…

So I have been in a bit of turmoil, trying to deal with issues of love/relationships/self worth… have made a January goal (I can’t add this to the holiday load) to go back to my counselor and see if I can work though some of the issues… I know the issues have been there under the of surface, and when I felt down, a mouthful (or 10 or 100) of chocolate, icecream, carbs in any form would help keep the sads at bay; but now celery is not working!!! So facing my issues is the next step in my process – and doing it solo is not working.

November goals;
    Walk every day – 100% done
    Log all bites everyday – about 80%

December goals:
    Walk every day
    Log all bites everyday
    Do a fun thing every week.

Kim from N. California
    58855297.png
  • tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Hi, ladies -
    I so enjoy reading your posts! They're informative, entertaining, and encouraging! I feel like I'm glad I'm "along for the ride" right there with you!

Kelly and Stephanie - welcome! I am newer here and already feel at home.

ABOUT THE DOG PICTURES ---they are all adorable! Y'all may turn me in to a dog lover! I was just telling my DH how much I love your dogs and might like to have one someday. He is a cat lover through and through.

Heather - Congrats on the loss. How in the world did you bake 18 pies? When you mentioned mince it brought back some wonderful memories of Christmas. My family always had mince, pumpkin, and pecan pie. We always called it mince meat but it never had meat. When I was little I hated mince. then I grew to love it. I guess it has been at least 40 years since I had mince pie. (Mom died in '79).

Sylvia and others - I enjoy hearing about your adventures with grandkids. I have 4 step-grands in Florida, 2 more near us here we hardly ever see (odd mom), and then I have my own DGS I do get to see 1-3 times per month. His mom was always over protective and I hardly ever got to babysit, let alone take him to activities or appointments. He turns 14 in January. - Love him so! He's a lot like his daddy (my son).

Pip, Lesley, Michelle, Heather - like to see your stats and exercise info.

I went to "Stretch Yoga" this morning (LOVE IT) and then to a water aerobics class. We had a substitute so class was a little disappointing. We do get attached to our teachers, don't we? I just made the best of it and was glad I could push myself and still get a workout.

Now that dinner is over and DH is off to work, I am going to work on some Christmas "favors" for Christmas Eve dinner. Shopping is another story!!!!!!
    At 4:30 on Thursdays I have a small study group. We choose courses from the Great Courses. Today we finish a study on Stress and the Human Body. It's been so informative. After the first of the year we will be doing one on Nutrition Myths. My group members are ladies over 50 so you all would fit right in!

Hugs and/or At-a-girls to those of you who need them
    Toni from Tennessee
  • salubrioussteff4ever
    salubrioussteff4ever Posts: 14 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Hi Steff,
    If you want to log a calorie burn for strength training, there is a listing in the cardio database for strength training. I don't know how accurate it is...a lot depends on how much you weigh and how intense and continues your strength training is. For a year I used a heart rate monitor and used it to figure an approximate calorie burn for my strength training workouts and now I use that data to log my strength training using an entry I created for myself. I hope this helps. If you have questions, send me a personal message. I'm not an expert but I've been posting on MFP for over five years.

:D Barbie from NW Washington
    [/quote]

Thank you Barbie,
    I looked on those, but was surprised that I didn't see things like Planks on there...I just improvised a bit and figure for now, the most important thing is that I am doing something and writing something down...baby steps for now and I would love to get one of those monitors for calories etc...someday! :)

Sweetnsassified[quote="

Steff... incredibly large family! Christmas must be awesome at your house!! :)

Sweetnsassified: Christmas is awesome because it's the time of year that we rent a cabin somewhere and spend time together...so far, everyone comes and loves it. This year we are ALL (17 and a niece who is here from Germany) =18 driving to California in 3 cars and a U haul to move our 2nd DD and her family to their new home in the beautiful mountains near Chico. WE are all very excited to be together. The two girls get home on December 16th from China and they will see their brother for the first time since he came home from his mission to Puerto Rico. They haven't seen each other in 2 and a half years. So as you can imagine, this Christmas is looking to be the most eventful yet! Food at the "Cabin" proves to be horrible, but I'm planning on lots of hiking with the family...wish me luck!

Love all of the dog pictures...guess I might have to add my two buddies at some point.

• pipcd34
    Options
    sd45aeabdhte.jpg

one of my favorites, rocky may he R.I.P. he's the one in the back right of my profile pic. he was a therapy dog too.