WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2014

Options
1127168qo8basv9g8.gif

welcome.gifWelcome to a friendly community of women. The name says Women ages 50+ but all women are welcome. I hope you will become a part of us if you are new. None of us is able to manage this journey to health and fitness alone.

How did you do with your goals or resolutions for November?
What goals or resolutions have you chosen for December?

rofl.gifThis is a challenging time of year for all of us whether you celebrate the December holidays or just try to maintain your life while surrounded by celebrants and shoppers, whether you are seeing the challenges of winter weather or the delight of the beginning of summer. Whatever is before you this month, lets support and encourage each other one day at a time.

:D Sign your post with your name or alias and your geographic location so we can get to know each other better.

smiley-happy020.gifBarbie from beautiful NW Washingtonsmiley-happy093.gif

The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT.

My word for 2014 is “mindful”

November Resolutions (with end of the month comments)
*walk 18,000 steps a day (every day)
*don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good (takes effort, but it's worth it)
*strength training twice a week (four times this month---not enough)
*put important dates on the 2015 wall calendar (finished and the calendar is hanging on the wall)

December Resolutions
*walk 18,000 steps a day
*strength training twice a week
*knit six child hats
*act the way I want to feel

146200.png

Replies

• DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Thanks Barbie :flowerforyou:! You`re the best :bigmile:

DeeDee in NC
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,052 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Thanks Barbie for keeping us going!
    Still need to remember to bookmark.
    :heart: MNMargaret
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    My thanks to you also!
    yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Thanks Barbie for posting the post from Viv. My heart breaks for her. God bless children though. Sometimes the make us do things we don't feel like doing. More later

Joyce, Indiana
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Alison: Thank you for the information on PKD. I hope you are able to keep yourself healthy for a very long time. :heart: :flowerforyou:

Kitty: Start your exercise regime with something you like. Exercise should be pleasant, not a drudge. Walking is excellent. I discovered yoga along the way and love it. If you love to dance, try that. Our friend Barbie has done wondrous things with dancing. :flowerforyou:

Here we are at the beginning of December. Thanksgiving was a good celebration this year. We got to see our son & daughter in law for Thanksgiving, his dear friend from grade school and family on Friday, and my husband’s DS, niece, and grand-nephew on Saturday. Today we got the Christmas decorations out of the attic, but haven’t done anything yet, other than stack them in the garage.

November Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    *99% successful :bigsmile:
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week. *100% successful :heart:
    3. Have fun every day. * :bigsmile:
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    *Still not perfect. I’m working on it and managed more than ever before. :ohwell: :bigsmile:
    8. Eliminate alcohol. * Done and still doing. :bigsmile:
    9. Monitor sleep. *I’ve kept records ever day since I began. It seems to be motivating better habits. :bigsmile:

December goals:
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

30881843.png
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I am in for december. It is 01 December here and week 2 of jeannette jenkins' 15 week challenge.
    Doing OK
    Lesley in Tasmania
  • jmkmomm
    Options
    It is so good to hear most of you had a satisfying Thanksgiving, enjoying fellowship with family and friends. And it sounds like most of us did pretty well on our eating. We deserve a pat on our back

Thanks all for the pep talk for my injection of Christmas spirit. To whoever said something about the couple who always wants a gift card, this nephew and family go out to eat a lot so that's what they want. Wife is a juvenile diabetic who uses an insulin pump, one son getting ready for college next fall. He and his Dad are both 4X, the wife has real bad diabetic retinapathy and is going blind. She eats to much, way to much and she just injects more insulin, also smokes and loves her alcohol. She knows that my nephew is a recovering alcoholic but she drinks in front of him. Now you see why I satay from his name. I don't want to give them a gift card so they all can over eat.

We have a catered lunch Christmas party on Tuesday for my Sunday school class and next Tuesday eve another catered party for the choir. UGHHH

Joyce, Indiana
  • crakar
    Options
    Hello ladies Its Karen from Down Under Australia I have been going 3 days need to lose 10 Kilograms or 22 lb would like to do in 3 months. Overeating is my problem although i feel i eat well, just too much...hmmmm
  • jmkmomm
    Options
    Another lady from Down under, welcome.
    Forgot to add, Pastor Steve took a vacation day today, yes, preachers do take single vacation days on Sunday. We have another preacher in our church that substitutes for him when he is unable to preach. He is a missionary and a good preacher. But he wasn't able to preach today. So they got some one else. This guy might be a good preacher of the Bible, but he wasn't particularly interesting. I was tired enough and it really made me almost drift off to sleep. Back in the days when I was really slowing my going to church, I very easily would have used my tiredness as an excuse. I have to be at church at 10:30 an I set my alarm for 8:30 to have a chance to wake my brain up. But this morning I jsut kept hitting the snooze button. His teenage son was with him and I cold see him yawning really big. And somehow a yawn is very infectious. We have an excellent pianist and organist. Today they both played the piano, together. It was beautiful. It was in a minor key which made it even more interesting. And then our soloist sang her song in a minor key. So was an interesting day. I did eat a small lunch and then took a 2 hour nap. Oh, this guy preached about 30 minutes longer than Pastor Steve does. Will be glad when he is back next Sunday

Joyce, Indiana
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

Barbie: glad everything went so well! And thanks again for the new topic.

Michele: yes, there’s a fee for the registration service; I think it’s about $15 a year. Kind of like insurance payments: it feels annoying that you pay for something you almost never use, but it's a lifesaver when you need it. ;)

Sylvia: hope you're feeling a bit better. :flowerforyou:

Extremely annoying work situation the last several days. I slept less than I should have because of it, and I need my sleep so I don't get the crud my guy has been sniffling his way through. Will have to figure out a good way to talk to the colleagues about this.

Cold, gray weather, but luckily no precipitation. Will be working several hours again today, but I'll have time to go to the gym later.

Hope everyone has a good day!
    Cynthia :flowerforyou:

54053224.png
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Good morning and a new month!
    Thank you Barbie and welcome new folks,
    My goal is , as always
    DON'T LET THE PERFECT BE THE ENEMY OF THE GOOD. :bigsmile:

Works for me, when I can remember it! :laugh:

The family will be getting back on Tuesday I think, judging by a comment on Facebook. Waiting to hear how it all went. I bet they are exhausted with all the travelling and tension. Of course, the real work begins when they are home with sorting out custody etc. Expense! :sad:

I bought a new DVD/HD recorder yesterday with my own savings as DH has had such a lot of expense recently with the bedroom. As well as the painter we have new carpet coming and a new roman blind. :sad: I don't like being without my recorder, even though we've got internet replay, and this one can record two channels at once. I lost my old collection of films when the old one died, but I will record a new batch. I get two DVDs every month from Lovefilm, mostly obscure foreign ones that aren't on download, so I need a player. It is also Blueray.
    The painter arrived this morning and is underway now. The upstairs looks like a hoarder has just moved in with drawers and clothes everywhere. Only for a week though. :bigsmile:
    I do quite like sleeping in my study. :embarassed: I probably would have done last night anyway as DH has the bug I had last week.
    I must say, yesterday when we were shifting furniture, I was sooooooo glad I am fitter now. I was able to help carry heavy mattresses downstairs and hump things around. Amazing! I felt my body responding to the challenge. DH remarked that I would definitely not have been able to do it before.

Got my exercising in this morning. I think it's about 613 cals, haven't logged it yet. The painter said, "You are really taking this seriously, aren't you! You must enjoy it!" I said, "I don't enjoy it- I do it so I can eat. I love eating." He said, "That sounds like a good enough reason!" :laugh:

Duck legs tonight with lots of veg.

Love Heather in Hampshire UK
    27681614.png
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies :flowerforyou:

I think one of my goals for December will be to try and post here at least 3 times a week. Things get a bit busy and I run out time :frown:.

Barbie :) Thanks for the update of Viv. I know what she`s going through, it`s rough :sad:! Congrats on acting the way you want to feel, and then feeling the way you acted :bigsmile:! I`m another one who loves spending time with my friends but I also need the me time!!! Doing the renovations this past year really pushed my limits!

Sylvia :) You look absolutely beautiful and I loved reading your story! You are an amazing women <3 !

Heather :) Gorgeous grandchildren :love:!

I love all the pics of the doggies!!! Our precious fur babies <3 !

Joyce :) You are so good at the watching what you eat for special occasions, no doubt you will do just fine at the catered parties!

Katla :) Sounds like you had a very successful Nov.! Spending time with family is the best :love:!

Margaret :) Sharing coffee :drinker: and water :drinker: with you! Love the pic of your gorgeous flower :love:!

Yanniejannie :) Did you have the awesome weather yesterday that we had here? I enjoyed sitting outside last night on the deck with only a sweater on, it was fabulous :love:!

Lesley :) Sounds like you have an awesome plan! Glad to hear Mildred beagle is doing okay!

Karen :) Welcome to this wonderful group of supportive women! Portion control is key!

Cynthia :) Hope the “crud” passes you by, and the annoying work situation gets better :flowerforyou:!

My goals for December:
    1- Maintain my weight
    2- Post here 3 times a week
    3- Laugh everyday
    4- Remember when life gets crazy (it always does this time of year) to stop and just breathe

I`m in the midst of Christmas decorating, and hoping to have it all done by the end of this week, I really want to be able to relax in the evening by the twinkle of the trees! I love the house when it`s all sparkly :love:! I spent yesterday afternoon redoing the top of one of my 9ft. trees, up and down the ladder a gazillion times :grumble:, my back, arms and knees are not real happy with me at the moment, that`s why they make Advil and heating pads :laugh:.

Hope everyone has a wonderful happy healthy Monday!

DeeDee in delightfully mild (for today) NC:glasses:
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,703 Member
    Options
    morning all~
    Barbie~ thank you for keeping this thread going you are a gem.....
    dont go into work until 12:30 and usually after a holiday weekend it is crazy ,but we shall see..
    Tom and I are doing alot of cleaning and clearing out.. getting rid of what we dont need and painting , the more we get out of the house now,the better off we will be..
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,752 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

Barbie ... thank you!

November goals ... none met ... sigh ...

December goals ... to get back to the basics:
    weigh food, log it, drink water, get exercise and breathe ... stress is giving me permission to derail my plans ... and the worrying isn't changing anything anyways!

Migraine son is home again today ... but not with migraine ... nasty respiratory infection!
    Older son heads back to his place today after being with us since Thanksgiving.
    Got the Christmas tree out and put together, but not decorated... don't like the lights I bought last year ... too much blue ... so going to find more traditional colored lights today.

I'm feeling under the gun about Christmas shopping ... not liking it one bit ... gift cards are a given for the nieces and nephews, but my two sons are a challenge. Sixteen year old wants very expensive things and his birthday is on the 20th of this month as well. Twenty eight year old doesn't care, which makes it harder. Neither needs anything really. And there's not a lot of money as we've been getting hit with vehicle repair expenses. Mixer will be my gift. Husband received hunting equipment early for his. Argh!

Have a good day!
    Beth in Western New York

• meyllisa
    meyllisa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Good morning,
    :) Barbie thank you for the intro to another new month, love how you keep us all together .

December is a busy time for all, my goal is going to be to give myself the time I need to keep on track, sister doing better and all will be back to normal soon.
    Welcome to all our new friends
    take care everyone
    juanita
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Good morn,all. Thee year is gonna be gone before we know it. How do I find the last 5 threads of November? I am always lagging behind! :\
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Good morning! I posted last night and couldn't find the thread this morning. Why? I forgot to give it a gold star at the top. My gold star is now filled in so I can get here without worry. o:)

Christmas Decorations are now stacked in the garage. We'll begin getting them installed in the house ASAP. Today is a busy day, though: dog to groomer, DH medical appointments, and picking up a new safety grab bar for the master bathroom. There will be lots of driving. All the appointments except the dog groomer are 30-40 miles away. :ohwell: :flowerforyou:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

December Goals:
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep.

30881843.png
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,548 Member
    Options
    morning all, iz aka pip from the Pacific NW (Tacoma WA). I am not one for making goals, they just set me up for failure, lololol. so far I am at the maintaining my weight, going on the 2nd year now. I am a year round bicyclist and yes it was a bit cold riding to the gym this morning, 20 degrees. brrrr. I guess I had a goal that was in November, just didn't think of it that way.. I ran my first marathon in vibrams on November 2nd. my GOAL was to run w/o stopping and I made that, so I DID have a goal, but I rarely call them that. December is just keep on keepin on month and keep riding!
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Good morning! It is a glorious day here. I'm going to have to do some extra walking to reach my goal of 750 miles this year. I don't count all the miles from the fitbit, only the ones when we are walking specifically for exercise. I should be able to do it.

I'm going to set goals for December. I've been on too much of a break.

1. Reach my walking goal of 750 miles for 2014. 104 miles to go!
    2. Hit 10,000 steps or more every day on the fitbit,
    3. Drink my water. Goal of 112 oz per day.
    4. Meet my fiber goal each day. Goal of 26 g per day.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I will now post the picture of DH'S nephew, the child and DH's niece when they were reunited with the abducted child in the Philippines. We have had an email from DH'S sister to say that there were tearful goodbyes, but the child is now sleeping soundly, presumably in the hotel. We think they will arrive home tomorrow.
    For anyone who doesn't know, the mother took the child to the Philippines, where she comes from, and left her there with her family and came back to England, supposedly to work. All without the permission of DH'S nephew, the daddy. The couple separated earlier this year.

higy3f20muo4.png

How exhausted, but happy the daddy looks!
    Three family members went out to fetch his daughter back - DH'S sister, the daddy and the aunty.

We have just been down to the council dump to get rid of some old electrical equipment, most of which will be reused after reconditioning, :bigsmile: , and we took a big box of books to the charity shop. I'm sure we can find a few more! :laugh:

Tomorrow I'm going to make the starter for the Tuesday evening dinner before Christmas when DS and family are staying. Adults only dinner. It is a kale and chard tart from Ottolenghi. I picked the last of the cavallo nero and chard from the garden, along with lots of herbs which are still alive, so the tart will be nearly all home grown! ! ! :love: Don't you just love freezers! ! ! !

Heather in colder Hampshire UK

27681614.png