WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2014

Options

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,703 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies~
    went to see DFIL yesterday before work.. I just cant stand to see him deteriorate and hope he bounces back..
    the poor man cannot move,he cannot toll over, he cannot stand, it takes 2 people and a lift to get him to stand and now he cannot move his neck to the left.. I dont know if this can all be medicine related......
    I just hope he gets better, I know alot of the staff are baffled too.
    went for a walk yesterday and got in 13,000 steps and was under calories it has been awhile, but boy I must really be out of shape,because I am more sore than usual..
    so I will try and keep it up..
    I have to hand it to the DH , he is stepping up and losing weight ,but it is so much easier for men, I have cut down on his meals and he is trying to walk 11,000 steps a day, he had 14,000 yesterday.. bravo dear bravo
    working at 9:30 this morning, so will get dinner and lunch together and doggies dinner and then,go check on DFIL and off to work..
    I cant wait to get some sort of answer about the kidneys,if I am moving to stage 4 ,it is closer to dyalisis, will have to figure out options and what the insurance will cover..could be kinda hairy
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Mimi, that photo is spectacular! Is your nephew a professional photographer? I can see why you love that tree.

Alison, I hope you get your kidney issues resolved soon!

Katla, you reminded me that I haven't made bread in a very long time. I should make it again soon.

Barbie, those hats are very nice. Good job Terri!

Time to get ready for my day. Later!

Sylvia
  • wessecg
    wessecg Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I'm back. After my 7 broken ribs last year I gained all my weight back plus 5 more. I've adjusted my beginning weight and am now beginning again. I also sold my new horse in the picture and bought a smaller one. I fell from him and remembered why I was looking for a smaller horse.

December goal:

Treadmill every morning that I'm not riding a horse.
    Log every bite and not eat all of my exercise calories.
    Fit comfortable in my size 14s this month.
    Read the comments on this board every day.
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    DianaLovesCoffee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Catered Dinners - sometimes they will give you a vegetarian option if you ask ahead of time. Just check with the dinner host.

Up early for Birthday breakfast with my son. (Can't believe he is 21!) I ate half my omlete and boxed half for lunch.

Non-Scale-Victory today: My pants keep falling down. No belt loops so I keep hiking them up. I grin every time I give them a yank!

Diana in Northeast Indiana (snowing)
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Good morning! It is a cloudy dreary day here with rain expected. Not my favorite kind of weather unless I'm snuggled up at home with a good book!

So, according to my scales, I've gained 10 lbs in the past two weeks. I don't think so!! I think I must be retaining fluid. Unexplained weight gain is a side effect of one of the medications I've recently been prescribed. I do believe it is time for that particular med to be put in the back of the drawer! I'll take ibuprofen instead. I did not eat horribly over the holidays, although I did eat what was offered at Thanksgiving lunch and as much of it as I wanted. I guess it says something that I could not/did not eat anywhere near the amount I could have a couple of years ago.

My best female friend was here from South Carolina for the holidays and I had Thanksgiving with her and her brother's family. Lots of really heavy foods, but I remembered what some of you have said about not eating the things that you can get every day or things that are not things you love. On Saturday we went out to the townhouse so that she could see it. She loved it! While we were there my best male friend called about something else and he ended up coming out, too. He is envious that he didn't find that set of townhouses when he was looking! In any case, my excitement has been rejuvenated and I am so looking forward to being in my new home. Now, all fingers and toes crossed that nothing goes wrong!

I don't have any real goals for December other than just trying my best to stay on track and to exercise more. I think the exercise will definitely happen since I've got to pack up my house and move it all to the new place. :smiley: Oh, and I also am going to try harder to post more frequently here. It seems to help me stay on track when I post rather than just read.

Oh! I just realized why I feel so cruddy this morning: I got my flu shot yesterday! I got the quad something or other and, for the first time, got it at my pharmacy by my favorite pharmacist. I think I'm going to let him do it every year--it did not even pinch, much less hurt!

I had some responses in mind, but I've forgotten everything. I hope I can make it through the day without going home sick. I don't have time for that!

Hope everyone has a great day!

Carol in NC
  • Anamika703
    Anamika703 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies!
    Cant believe we are already into Dec! Where did the year go?
    Thanks Barbie for keeping us going.... and all of you who make this such a warm place to come back to. Hurray for all victories and warm hugs for all who need them.
    Anamika from Mumbai
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Blowing cold mist here today; yuck! Who remembered to wear red for World Aids Day (39million deaths since 1981) yesterday? DD and I went out for lunch ( I just had the mushroom brie soup) and the place was full of red, maybe because she picked a very "trendy" place. I had a red top, but she was mid shift and in her stable clothes and riding boots so no red on her.

Barbie.........Thanks for posting the message from Viv; she's in all our hearts, I'm sure.

Katla..........Sounds like you had a memorable and fun day with friends and family! I do miss seeing family but mostly what I miss is the family of my childhood when we were young and the cousin's parents were middle aged. Just not many left at this point.

Kitty........Baby steps......I started doing push offs on a door at a very slight angle.....then moved to the sink edge......then the arm of the couch.......then the edge of the tub......finally the floor........ got there, but it did take all those those "baby steps"!!!

Leslie........Face book can kick you out for expressing an opinion????? Wow, that's a new one on me; I thought all that stuff was pretty "wild west"....anything goes....although I don't have facebook....which seems to be unbelievable to some of my friends (I don't text either, drives my DD nuts).

Heather.......Thanks sooooo much for posting the pic of the happy family......their joy is so evident!!!

Dee Dee........Yes, we had two VERY nice days!!! Would love you to post more, great goal!!

Meg......Great to see you too!!! Best wishes to your SIL.

Terri........Gorgeous hats! What a nice thng for you to do!!!!!

Mimi.........Fabulous pic!!!

Michele.........Great score on the clothing; I've rescued a few things my DD was getting rid of too.

wessecg........Cheryl, if I'm remembering right?........How's your DD doing with college? Well, I hope!

Thinking of goals...........I guess just to stop the evening snacking which seems to be impossible these days, although I did do well yesterday, so one day down.

Diana...........Adorable puppy!!! Yay for almost losing your pants!!

Stay strong!
    yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather: The sourdough is volcanic this morning! It is time for the rest of the flour and the second rising. :bigsmile:

Alison: Keeping you in my prayers. I hope your kidneys are holding their own. :heart: :flowerforyou:

Cheryl: Welcome back! I hope your smaller horse works out for you. I’m currently taking riding lessons and loving it. My teacher is brilliant. :flowerforyou:

Diana in NE IN: Madame Katla the fortuneteller predicts new pants in your future. Congratulations! :flowerforyou:

NC Carol: Thanksgiving happens. You’ll be back to your previous weight once you get the medications worked out and balanced. :flowerforyou:

yanniejannie: I remember the holidays with cousins fondly, too. We’ve lost all of the Aunts and Uncles, and two of the cousins. :broken_heart::flowerforyou:

Last night we had our first frost of the year. My hummingbird feeders did NOT freeze! I shifted the sugar solution to 1/3 C sugar dissolved into a cup of water, which I’ll use until it warms up in spring. The higher sugar level gives them more energy to combat the cold and also seems to have a lower freezing point. Moving the feeders to the windows from the hanger on the porch gives added protection and heat, too.

Yoga today! Yay!

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

December Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep.

30881843.png
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    Options
    Katla - this may be a bit late for you, but I always line my banneton with a piece of muslin and then dust the muslin with flour. I don't bother to wash the muslin, just store it floury! Real bakers just flour their banneton heavily and put the dough in that. Makes things a bit crusty after a few goes, but if you don't mind that then it would make for more pronounced lines. :flowerforyou:

Heather UK
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Mimi - The photo of the tree at Sunset is beautiful; suitable for framing.

I wish I could respond personally to everyone, but today looks like it is going to be busy, so I have to get going on my bookwork.

Behaved with food pretty well yesterday, and liked what the scale said. I feel confident that I can do this.

My DD is loving her new job. She is a personal home health aide for a lady who is deaf. I ordered some intermediate and advanced sign language books and had them shipped to her. I hope this makes her realize the direction her life should take (Mom can't tell her what to do, but I have been doing my best to guide her in that direction). She has been a natural in sign language class since she was young, but her community didn't go any further than the beginner level classes.

Congrats to everyone with successes, prayers to everyone with struggles.

Terri in Milwaukee (weather is "up to" 24 degrees today, but the sun is shining B) )
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,846 Member
    Options
    Did well yesterday. Beginning to come out of my depression. Trying hard. Forcing myself to go to the gym. I use the 'I paid for this so I'm gonna use it" philosophy helps me fight the lethargy.

Kudos to all the NSVs and hugs to all who need them.

rita
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Welcome back Cheryl. :flowerforyou: Now you are back fighting fit I'm sure you will lose the weight again. 7 ribs! Yikes!

Mimi - I've missed you! :flowerforyou: Pleeeeeeze keep posting! Fab photo! :love:

Meg - The only person I know who is good at Thankyou Notes is my DDIL. She is amazing, but most people don't seem to bother. Even I have resorted to text or email for most things. :embarassed:

Haven't heard if the family are back in England yet. The mother of the child is posting on Facebook about how much she is missing her darling baby. Well, I'm sure she is, but why did she leave her in the Philippines? I think it is some sort of preemptive strike for when the custody battle goes to court. :ohwell:

Today I am making the starter for our pre Christmas celebration meal. It is cooking right now. It was a lot of work, but how happy I will be when the day comes and all I have to do is heat it up for ten minutes and Voila! ! ! ! :laugh: It's kale and spinach tart made from all garden produce. o:)
    Just taken it out of the oven - fabulous!
    I don't want to have any cooking to do that day as the grandchildren will be here. Want to be playing with my dear ones, not cooking! ! ! ! ! ! The starter and the dessert, chocolate roulade are done. I will apply my brain to the main course, but I think I know how I'm going to do that - mainly the day before with only the marsala salmon to put in the oven to cook. No preparation. :bigsmile:

Only got to sort out the two lunches now and a breakfast. :laugh:
    DH , bless his heart, made the dinner tonight as I was worn out. It's Hairy Dieters Lamb Tagine. Double yum.
    I went to yoga this morning so haven't got as many calories as usual to play with. :'( Too tired to get on the machines. :embarassed: My best yoga friend was away as she was at a funeral, so I took the opportunity to ask a newer member back to my house for coffee. I really liked her, but have always felt a bit diffident about making approaches with my other friend there. :ohwell: It's like being at school! ! ! ! ! ! So I grabbed the moment and we had a nice chat and DH liked her too. I gave her all my contact details and she said she would email me hers. Nearly all my friends live a long way away, so I am keen to make new ones, but it can be difficult at our age.

The house is full of paint smells now. Yuk! It will be lovely when it's done! ! ! ! :laugh:

Heather in Hampshire UK
    27681614.png
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I just checked the race results from the Thanksgivng 10K. 2133 finishers; DD got 18th (of 123) in her age group!!! This was a personal best for her; knew she had been happy with her run but no idea how really well she did until just now. YAY!
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    OK, todays joke of the day made me laugh out loud:

:)

A preacher was walking down the street when he notices a little boy trying to ring the doorbell but it's just out of his reach. he watches his efforts for some time and walks over to press the the bell. After he pressed it he looked down at the boy and asked' "Now what?" to which the boy turned and shouted, "NOW WE RUN!!"

:D>:)
  • DianaLovesCoffee
    DianaLovesCoffee Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    So I've been contemplating doing couch to 5k. But I just found out about an app very similar called 5k Zombies (pre-Zombies Run). It is basically the same as couch to 5k except there is a story line and the during the running part you are being chased by Zombies so you need to move 20% faster for 1 minute or the Zombies catch you. LOL.

Only $1.99 for the app so I think I'll try it. Maybe wanting to know what happens next will help get me out the door every day.

Diana in Northeast Indiana
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    My new profile pic was taken on my 55th birthday in November. Although I still don't like having my picture taken, it's not a particularly bad one.
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy tues.
    hugs jane
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Mimi awesome photo!!

Hi ladies,
    I had a minor meltdown yesterday and stayed home. I am better today and the Doc and I are changing up my meds to find a better combination that will work. I feel a little shattered today but at least I am at work. It is very very cold and icy here which is not normal for us. I am looking forward to the rain to warm things up a bit.

Take care all,

Robin, Bodi and Ritter.
  • wessecg
    wessecg Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Carol in NC - ibuprofen made me gain lots of weight when I was recovering from my ribs.
    - Katla - what type of lessons are you taking, english or western?
    - Yannie - my daughter is doing so so in college. Mentally though she is rocking. She has so many friends rallying around her now (for those who don't know, her biological Mom committed suicide just weeks before she started at Vandy.
    - Thanks Heather.

So I am happy with my two days back. I did a mile and a half on the treadmill yesterday and 1 and 3/4 this morning. If I don't do anything else, I will get through December under my calorie goal and tread milling every morning.
  • kayak_kutie
    kayak_kutie Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies,

Can't believe November has already come and gone. My DH and I had a quiet Thanksgiving Day with just the two of us and our furry kids. His daughters live in Florida and Kansas so just telephone calls to chat with them and the grandkids. We ate earlier in the day and spent the evening looking at things online for Christmas gifts for the grandkids. Had great luck finding some things so orders were placed and shipped to their homes. I have already received email confirmations that the gifts for Florida have been delivered so their mom will store them and put them under their tree Christmas Eve. My DH and I said we weren't exchanging gifts as we really don't need anything and are looking into getting bicycles for the spring. Now he has started mentioning a few things he would like. Most are small and easy to find so I'll take a day to pick them up. :smile:

We got the Christmas tree up and decorated on Saturday and finished the fireplace mantle and outside decorations on Sunday when the weather was near 70. Perfect day for it. Can't believe we had everything done before Dec. 1. That is very usual for us but worked out great that our weekend was free because we have things planned for each day of the remaining weekends.

Our church is holding a Quiet Christmas service this Friday night for those grieving the loss of loved ones, or whose family circumstances are difficult due to separation, divorce, deployment, distance, etc.

Although I haven't posted much in November, I have been reading each day. I hope to post more in December. My eating has left a lot of room for improvement and have gained a few pounds back. :disappointed: Like some of you, I do ok during the day but evenings are awful. Must, must, must do better!!

Love all of the pictures! Beautiful babies, animals, people, flowers and trees.

Tina in MD