WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2014

Options

Replies

• tngram2seven
    tngram2seven Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone!

I'm back from water workout and errands. Had soup for lunch and am now cuddling with my cat Shirley. It's dreary but not too cold in Tennessee today.

My son, daughter-in-law, and 13 yo grandson are going to D.C. tomorrow to attend the National Christmas Tree Lighting. They enter the lottery for tickets every year. This year they won some! I am happy for them. They'll have a little extra time to take in some of the sights, too.

Sylvia - love your jokes. Keep them coming

I enjoy all the pictures and posts
    Toni

December goals:
    Drink 78 ounces of water each day
    Lose 5 lbs by Jan. 1
    Say Merry Christmas to someone every day (in person, call, email, facebook, or snailmail)
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    The scale reported a new low this morning. 181.0. I've never seen that number before, so I was pretty happy. All my turkey day water weight has gone. :) So, hubby and I went to the BBQ place for lunch and I had a small smoked chicken sandwich. Yummy, and not too terribly bad for me. If you don't count salt. Mine comes with a side so I always give it to hubby so he can have two sides. We just drink water. Then came back to the studio and ate a nice red apple, when what I really wanted was ice cream.

I was all set to go home tonight and bake a cake for grandson's birthday tomorrow, then relax at home doing dishes and laundry. (that is relaxation, right?) Then I got a call from DGD#2's basketball coach saying that they have a practice tonight at 5:30. What!!! That wasn't on the schedule!!! But of course, I will take her to practice and smile. I'll be so glad when basketball is over. UPDATE: she just called back and said the practice tonight is cancelled!

I'm starting to feel a little better. Tylenol is my new best friend. I super-glued my fingertip cracks closed, so they will feel better for a while. My constipation and related maladies have subsided somewhat, and I haven't had any more chest pain for a couple of days. I was starting to get worried about that. I worked out at the Y this morning and didn't have any problems at all.

This morning I got a really nice, chatty e-mail from a potter friend that I used to hang out with a lot. She lives about 2 hours away and we sort of lost touch for a few years. So, we agreed to get together after the new year and go junking (thrift stores). That will be fun. Better than eating out. (This friend, Terri, lives out in the country in Missouri next to a HUGE great blue heron rookery. It's an awesome thing to see, for the heron lovers among us.)

I also got a nasty e-mail from my son's soon to be ex-wife telling me to stop posting about her on facebook. Well, I don't DO facebook, and never have, so I don't know what she's fussing about. She's absolutely nuts.

Tina, great to see you back!

Robin, I hope you feel better.

Carol, nice pic!

Diana, the zombie thing sounds like fun! It would be a lot less boring, for sure.

Jan, congrats to your daughter. I'm impressed!

Well, it's almost time to go pick up the kids from school. I hope you are all having a great day!

Sylvia
    (Cant find the ticker thing at the moment, but it would say 121 pounds!!!)

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    Options
    Sylvia - many, many congratulations! :flowerforyou:
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Sylvia..........WWWWOOOOO HOOOOOO!!!!! (and a great joke today!)
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Sylvia - I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but people do set-up fake Facebook accounts to stalk or scam on others. It may be worthwhile to ask someone close to you that has an account to do a search, to see if someone did this to you and the future-ex-wife.

And congrats on the reduced weight :)
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Well remember the one place I said I would not want this dinner catered from today. Yep, it was catered by Grandy's, fried chicken tenders, macaroni and cheese and rolls. Then different church members made desserts like chocolate meringue pie and all sorts of other decandence. I had one tender, I didnt know which protein would be worse, the mac and cheese or the deep fried tender. But my emotional desire took over and I got the mac and cheese. I would have very well eaten the huge pan. I also ate the most tasteless green beans. But someone had made fudge :'( She at least had them cut into some pretty small pieces. I ate 4 pieces. And of course I had water. We played one game, bingo. I guess they play it the way they did to cut down on time played. But you just kept playing until you got a bingo, no one cleared their card until some one filled the whole card. The party was the two older ladies Sunday school class, Those two teachers went to dollar store and got prizes so everyone got something. The one who got the full card bingo got a more expensive gift. They were all Christmas ornaments. Then one of the ladies crocheted really nice and quite large hot pad holders for everyone. We all got 2 of them. Had a good time. I met the others women in the church. I pretty much know the ones in my class and the people in the choir and that's all. Everyone had such pretty Christmas themed tops on.

Joyce, Indiana
  • crazyDogLady61
    crazyDogLady61 Posts: 62 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I only have a minute to pop in…

I hope everyone is staying safe and warm.

Diana in NE Indiana… I’m currently doing the Couch To 5K program. Ran my first mile straight for the first time in 30 years this past weekend!! I’m using the free podcasts from:

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx

The “voice” isn’t too pushy and it has a nice rhythm to run to. I would be really leery of any C25K program that “pushes” you to run faster during the first 9 weeks. That is just asking for an injury or at minimum make you too sore to enjoy your next run! Knock wood, I haven’t had a side stitch, knee pain, or any other kind of injury. I run with my younger dog as my motivator. He is getting in better shape and absolutely loves it. He gets so excited when I put the running gear on!

Looking for the joy in every day, just like my dogs.

Sally W.
    Oregon

exercise.png

weight.png
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,548 Member
    Options
    302vd85r2zxc.jpg
    hth8jy2fmxwm.jpg

thought I would show a before and after pic, (the before is when I had already lost some weight) the after pic at one of my fun runs. it was a 5k and I got 1st in my age group and 5th overall women. :0)
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies. My sis in law had double bypass surgery today and is doing ok afterwards. I got very nervous because I couldn’t contact my brother after yesterday afternoon so was quite worried. But all seems to be going as planned. Busy office day today. Plan on lifting weights tonight and working on Tanya’s photo album.

DrKatie: thanks for the update. I was afraid something like that had happened based on everyone else’s response.

Viv: If you are reading this, my heart is breaking for you. I’m so very sorry for your loss. Be kind to yourself during this time. xoxoxo

Sue: fabulous of you to meet that goal!

Sylvia: I have told the BF he can write thank you notes too, but I think since she was at the shower and not him, it is sort of expected somehow that she does it. She doesn’t do anything she is supposed to as you know!

Mimi: what a gorgeous picture!

Michele: the Rodney Yee DVDs you recommended to me have 10 minute sections

Joyce: thank goodness for Tricare! My dad had it and we never saw a single bill. So where is the rest of your face on your picture? I want to see that smile of yours!

Barb: hope the PT works well for you

Alison: your DFIL sounds like my dad; he spent his last 3 years not being able to turn himself over in bed.

Wessecg: so glad to see you back again! Glad you got the smaller horse; you do not need more broken ribs. It’s Cheryl, right? I think I always called you Carol for some reason!

Diana; great nsv! Now just wait til the panties start falling down UNDER your slacks! Makes walking quite a challenge! Carol: hope the remnants of that flu shot are gone soon.

Anamika: so nice to see you again!

Yanniejannie: I remembered World AIDS day.

Katla I am jealous of your all-year hummingbirds!

Kevrit: glad the depression is lifting even if it is slow

Heather: I would be pleased if DD#1 called or texted her thank yous. She does not know how to use a phone book (despite us trying to make her use one when she lived here), can’t spell anyone’s name right anyway, and doesn’t have any of my friends’ email addresses. She could ask and I’d give them to her, but she would never ask.

Sylvia: great joke! Fabulous report from the scale! Congratulations!

Pipdc: great photos! You look so proud to have won!

Robin: I hope your new medication works for you and you feel better soon.

Well need to get some things accomplished. Take care all, Meg from Omaha where it was pretty nice out today.

• Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Wednesday and day 2 week 2 of Jeannette's 15 week Challenge.
    Breakfast was cheesy egg omelet + ground turkey patty and toast + jam, lunch is chilli (had serve in freezer), dinner is home made beef stew and blueberry mini cakes.1706 (bit low)
    Training: 30 min Gold's boxing, 35 min JJ's Cardio sculpt, 1 hour walk after lunch = 869
    Yesterday I spent @240 on meat, veg, fruit and groceries (bought stuff for JJ's challenge)
    Stan has gone fishing. for the day
    Lesley in Tasmania
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    Happy Tuesday. Well here we are in December. We got our tree and put up Sunday evening. We got a real tree again this year and put it up on the table so the dogs will not get to it. It is about 4 1\2 foot and looks nice. Saturday while it was nice DH got stuff put up outside. Now I am working on Christmas cards as want to get them done and mailed this week. I have most my shopping done so feeling good about that. We got word yesterday that DH's sister in FL passed away. She was only 44 and left two small children. We have not seen her in years, she is DH's half sister from DFIL's second marriage. I will miss her cards and family pictures. Cancer just makes no sense. One person can do so well with treatments, others no matter what it doesn't help.
    Notice how I skipped weigh in this morning. It was not as bad as I feared, up .3 of a pound.
    Sounds like most of us enjoied our family or alone time this last several days. On Sunday we went over to DSIL's for lunch with her kids, grandkids, and our one son and his family. A big house full and I was glad when we could leave and come home where it was quite. I do think I am familied out until Christmas.

Diana--We also have 7 birthdays this month. Also my dad's would of been the 10th so want to send a card to mom. First ones on the hardest I realize, but I am working hard to stay postive.

jb--Thanks for the update on Mariah. Keeping them all in my prayers.

Heather--your grandchildren are so cute! They look so happy. All I can say about operation Ninja is Good Luck. Pray they have a safe trip and no one gets hurt. Just read the update about them having the baby. Great news. Where is the mom? Guess I spaced that part off.

Beth--glad your family had a taste of bad food. Gave them a lesson in how hard to work to make things better for them.

pipcd34-Beautiful dog.

Barb--prayers sent, We downsize on our gift giving as with 6 children and spouse with 28 grandchildren and 3 great grandson, it does add up. I pickup things all year long, but the kids know that and I try and do things with the different grandchildren to make memories.

Sylvia--I am having problems with my fingers and finger nails being so dry they break and bleed. Years ago I had the hemmroids problems and I remember for almost 2 weeks I lived in the tub of hot water. Thank God they are better and we have an agreement, I leave them alone, they leave me alone.LOL. Good Luck.
    I read the paper and thought it was very informative. I do think you look like a serious potter and looked fine. You were working and it is not easy work. Proud of you and all you have done. I love the jean idea, let me know how you do it, gives me some ideas. Thanks,

Joyce--I feel like you about giving something personal. But I understand about the money for bills. Together it sounds like you both do a great job.

Barbie--Thanks for passing on Viv's message. Keeping her in my prayers.

Welcome Kitty--start slow with walking. When I started I was almost 400 pounds and couldn't walk across the room. Now I am down 150 pound + and walk every chance I get.

Lesley--That is terrible, everyone has a right to their opinion. Some of the stuff on FB here about our goverment is bad, but its freedom of speech I guess. I must say I do agree about William being King over Charles.

Well I am up to Dec 1st and run out of time for today. It took me awhile to figure out how to get to this month. But I am proud of myself for doing it.I will finish getting up to date tomorrow. Remember ladies each one of us are important and worth the effort. I am so Blessed to call you my friends.
    Blessings, Vicki GI NE
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,919 Member
    Options
    I love hearing about how you are all decorating for Christmas....I loved the December goal of wishing someone merry Christmas every day..holiday preparations and traditions should be fun, not an onerous chore.

We don't celebrate Christmas--no decorations, no gifts--but every year I love being part of the line dance performance group that dances at six assisted living homes and convalescent hospitals

pip, I love your before and after pictures

sylvia, congrats on your weight loss

<3 hugs to all, Barbie from chilly NW Washingto
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,052 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Good Evening Friends,
    welcome.gif Newcomers.

talk.gif

Pip love the before and after photos.

Sylvia smiley-happy080.gif

Working on my Christmas letter today. I like to take comics and make a collage of important things I did this year and important news of our family like my niece is expecting her first child. I always find one or two comics that give me a chuckle.

My DS '96 Taurus died last night, so the next week or so I'll be helping him look for another car.

Having the tree and decorations up are helping me stay in the Christmas mood. I realize it can be a difficult time of year too. The sermon I listened to on Sunday addressed how coping with loss can be extremely difficult this time of year. To me Christmas represents the light that can bring hope through the dark times of life. Many other religions also use light as a way to cast out the darkness. I am trying to remember to do something kind for someone everyday, even if it only to say Thank you and hope you are having a great day!

2014 word:contentment

rose.gifMNMargaret

28257843.png

Thank you to my MFP pals and I hope you are having a great day!
  • hoff2002
    hoff2002 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Last year for Christmas, my oldest granddaughter (she was 6 at the time) asked me if I would please give her just one present and if I would give the rest to charity. I didn't want to just give a check, I wanted to show her what giving is all about. I remembered that the burn unit at the hospital had previously requested things for their patients, so I asked if we could adopt them and what they would need. The director told me that when they have small children as patients they offer them small gifts when they have to do procedures so they suggested a few things. For the older patients, they told me that sometimes they forget their glasses, combs, etc. at home. So I took my 5 year old granddaughter and my 6 year old granddaughter (they are sisters) to the store and let them buy inexpensive items that they thought other children might like to have. We bought several pairs of glasses, combs, coloring books, and all sorts of small toys. I asked if my granddaughters could come to the hospital and give the nursing staff the gifts. Again, I wanted "giving" to be a personal experience for them. The director suggested that instead I bring them to the annual Christmas party that the hospital has for the burn patients and their families. My DH and I brought the children and they presented a large box of gifts to the staff that they had picked out. They were so excited and had such a great time. After Christmas, the staff told me that they had a young child as a patient and the child had picked out the first gift from the gift box. I came home and told my granddaughters. They let out a "whoop whoop" yell! They were so happy that their gifts were being used for the children.
    Today, I was asked by the burn staff if we were going to their annual party and they gave me an invitation. I asked what they needed and they said to just go and bring the girls. So tonight I called and talked to my granddaughters and told them that they had been invited. Both of them are so excited. We made arrangements for me to pick them up Friday after school and bring them shopping. All through the year, they girls have put small amounts of change in a jar so they would be able to buy some of the presents themselves. I am so proud of them and they are so excited to be doing this again this year! It's always been important for me that my children, and now my grandchildren, learn that Christmas is not about receiving...it's about giving!

Prayers to all who are having an issue with health whether it be physical or emotional. Wishing everyone a wonderful evening! Hugs to all...

Barb from South Louisiana
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,548 Member
    Options
    Stats for the day, I just wasn't in the mod to go to the gym, I will hit it tomorrow. Thanks for the befor n after pic compliments :0) ..
    ride home 2 dome- 11.24min, 13amph, 2.5mi
    Ride dome 2 hm - 16.58min 9.4amph 2.7mi
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,919 Member
    Options
    Barb, I love the gift giving experiences you are giving to your granddaughters. Thanks for sharing. <3
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    u8bb38l3ncbk.jpg
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,344 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of HIIT today. Tomorrow's plan is to go to yoga then take the deep water class.

Tomorrow after the deep water class I told one neighbor that I'd help her with this fundraiser from 11 until 2.

After exercise stopped at CVS (since it was on my way) to get soda that was on sale, then went to WalMart and then to Sam's. I'd completely forgotten until last night that we have Mexican Train dominoes tonight and I'll make these brownies for Vince's birthday so I needed to have something else to bring with me. Got these chicken things in filo cups. Hope they taste good.

Came home, put away the groceries, made the brownies to take tonight (have them cooling right now), then made the pierogi for Christmas Eve (I'll just freeze them). I made a mistake when I was buying the cheese. I was thinking that I'd make just 1/2 the amount of dough since I had some frozen. I should have bought the regular amount of cheese but I ony got half. Well, we usually have leftovers so hopefully this year we won't. Now I have some more of the chocolate bran muffins in the oven.

terri - you make such lovely things, and that was ever so nice of you to send them to barbie to go to the kids. Boy, you just make my heart well up!

It used to be that when I was making something like the brownies, I would nibble on quite a bit. Now lately I have very little desire. There is still a bit there, but nowhere near what there used to be.

Diana - happy birthday to your son. What a fantastic NSV! That zombie app sounds like fun

Carol - we never did get the rain, did you? It was on the chilly side, I needed a sweatshirt. When I got my flu shot, about 2 days later I felt cruddy, too. It passes. You take a lovely picture

I'm so grateful that there isn't anything in the freezer (like cookies) that I would munch on because I think I probably would if it were available.

Madame Katla the fortunteller - :)

Jan- yea for your daughter, that's great!

Sylvia - congrats on the loss. Great joke, too. I remember quite a few years ago when we lived in the Poconos, one winter my fingers were so badly cracked that they were bleeding. I tried putting everything under the sun on them, no go. Finally, I decided to try what my grandmother used, figured I didn't have anything to lose. She used to put straight glycerine on her hands. So I got some at the drugstore and tried it. You know what, it worked! Now every so often I'll put it on my hands, then to keep the grease off my sheets (glycerine can be greasy), I'll put on a pair of latex gloves. The next day my hands are so soft.

Barb - that was so nice of you to help teach your grandchildren about giving. How wonderful that the girls are going this year

Went to Hancock fabric to see if I can get some fabric for a different elf costume. My mother in law made one for me YEARS ago. I took it out the other day and tried it on. It's a bit on the snug side (well, that does happen over the years), so I was thinking of making another one. It's really easy, even *I* could probably sew it. My MIL used pinking shears around the neck, the arms holes, and the bottom. It's just the seams at the shoulders and the seams up the sides. However, Hancock fabric didn't have any holiday fabric, which really surprised me. So....what I did was went to ACMoore and got some t-shirts. After exercise tomorrow and then helping out at the fundraiser, I'm going to go by the home of the lady who makes the clothes and see if maybe she can just bring in the underarms. The Small would fit me, but because I'm using this also as a sort-of dress, I need it to be looser at the bottom so I got the medium. But that also means that it's a bit big on top so I might ask her to take that in.

Went to Mexican Train. Really wasn't interested in staying to play canasta.

pipcd - great pics, thanks for posting them

Michele in NC
  • salubrioussteff4ever
    Options
    can someone please tell me why when I put in strength training, it doesn't show any calories burned? I'm getting frustrated with the lack of excersizes I can find in the cardio and strength training browers....is this making any sense? Are there any experts in this website out there?
    HELP
    Steff :D
  • salubrioussteff4ever
    Options
    And Tina in MD...evenings are the worst!