Options

Replies

• wessecg
    wessecg Posts: 410 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    ag88vkiefpxs.jpg
    el42qkb0vuf3.jpg

So I couldn't come back without posting pictures of the bigger me, on my smaller horse.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Cheryl: Your new horse is beautiful. I hope it also has a sweet disposition. :flowerforyou:
  • sweetnsassyfied
    sweetnsassyfied Posts: 110 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    pguo6n9zgb7z.jpg
    Hello Ladies I'm still here just went into lurk mode. Missed a day posting and by doing so got so far behind. I adore that this group is so active! Lesson learned on my end... Dont miss a day! ;) I sooooooooooooo enjoyed all the pictures! Thank you for sharing them and giving me a wee glimpse of your lives. :D

November recap: Honestly, you would think that since this is my second time around with this surgery I would remember the "little" things. But nooooooooo. I am finding it extremely difficult going from pillow princess to productive. :\ Maybe it IS harder this time round because i still had another foot that needed the surgery and 1 was recovering. So truth be told I havent been all that active this past year. Either way it is what it is. Enough of that, anyways; November had me going from complete bed rest to 50% body weight with my crutches. With physio therapy 3 days a week, pool and manual manipulations. I also set about finding a supportive group and began logging my foods again. :) YaY!

December's daily do's: Continue being vertical for longer periods of time until I am up for the whole of the day. Physio will continue for 3 days a week except this month I get to get into the weight room where as of last monday, they had me on 2 machines rotator for hips and back & leg curls and a couple laying exercises. They will be adding more as I add more body weight to my foot. :) Pool will continue, as will the manual manipulations and they added lymph drainage massages at the end for swelling. Stationary bike, I am up to 20 minutes twice a day. Mornings ( yay ) Evenings ( bleck ). I also started walking Bosko again in the mornings. If thats what you want to call what i am doing. lol We go once around the apartment house. What used to take me 10 minutes now takes 40... But we all gotta start somewhere! By the end of December I will be going further or is that farther? When this month closes my crutches will be history too!

Due to my limitations and my husbands inability to shop ( no matter how i try i still cant this man to think of shopping as a sport! lol ) We wont be decorating or shopping for Christmas. Gift certificates for the grown ups, cash for the children 15 and under...lol For the parents who love to travel, Hofer has gift certificates for travel. For his BIL & his wife Dinner and a movie combo. Makes for a nice evening out, they have 4 children, they need the evening ;) . For the other BIL and fam. they love to do things with their children, sporty things, so we got them a gift certificate for laser tag. an hour play and snackeroos. The oldest niece and nephew will get gift certifs to a huge shopping mall here. I love this one because every store, eatery, cinema, in the place excepts these. :) The 4 littles 15,13, 10, and 8 will get a 20 and think their rich! lol Family sorted!

Hubby and I decided to get an entertainment center for the house and we will take a long weekend in Vienna over New Years. We are both soooooooo looking forward to that! It is much needed. Poor guy had to use his vacation time to take of me while i was bed bound for a month.

Anyhoo there is my first post book...lol I am leaving you with a picture of my city Steyr, where the rivers Enns and Steyr meet. If you were to turn your heads in any direction you would see our mountains. :) This pic is so story book perfect I'm shocked i took it. lol

Oh, one last thing. Last month I remember someone saying that muscle weighs more than fat. NOT, they each weigh the same. Though fat takes up more space. Thats what my profile pic is 5 lbs of fat vs 5 lbs of muscle. ;)

Sincerely,
    Sassy aus Austria
    If you want it, You'll find a way. If you don't, You'll find an excuse.
  • Flowerbaby2
    Flowerbaby2 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    jmkmomm wrote: »
    I forgot how to bookmark the new month! Help!

right beside where it says, "WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2014" there should be a star that's faded, click on it.

• Flowerbaby2
    Flowerbaby2 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Hi new to MFP and about to turn 56.My post name is Flowerbaby2.I am from New Mexico.I would appreciate someone messaging me as I just started this last week and don't know quite how to manu ver around the site yet.Thank you
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

Meg: you sound better; glad to hear it! Best of luck to your sister-in-law.

Viv: thinking of you.

Vicki: sorry about your sister-in-law. Give yourself an extra pat on the back for going from 400 to 150; your life is totally different now!

Barb: what a nice story all around about the burn unit.

Sylvia: I almost wet my pants laughing at the picture! :D

Lots of work this week. Yesterday I took a couple of hours to go to the local (well, reasonably local) Mormon center to look at genealogical microfilms. I keep hoping for the big clue as to who my great-grandfather was, but no luck yet. The current theory is that he was dropped by a spaceship to mate with earthlings.

When I got back we ordered in, Indian food, which we both love. Did not weigh myself this morning because of the sodium; will drink lots of water today and see where I am tomorrow.

Hope everyone has a good day!
    Cynthia :flowerforyou:

54053224.png
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,702 Member
    Options
    morning all,
    yesterday I was so tired when I got home from work last night,I didnt post...
    went to see DFIL yesterday am..well it has finally happened..he didnt remember me..everything I said he just repeated.. just sooo sad..
    was so crazy at work ,I missed 3 calls. called down to the nursing home and spoke to the head nurse..
    the Dr came and did an evaluation..no TIA or strokes,but there thinking is that the dementia has progressed and that the Depakote just masked it.
    spoke with OT and she said she is having him try and feed himself. and he is doing a bit better. they are giving him biotin for dry mouth as he cant swallow well.
    also has an infection on his ear so putting him on keflex so it takes care of infection
    I am pleased that after I wrote them telling them that they need to keep us informed on everything.. that they actually are....dont go to work until 1 this afternoon, so laundry and dinner will be made in a bit
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    Options
    Alison - so sorry you have all this worry. You are so good. :flowerforyou:

Barb - great story about the grandchildren! :flowerforyou:

Pip - nice photos! If I ever have a dog I want one like yours!
    I know you like stats and so does Michele, so here is one of mine.
    Today, on the recumbent exercise bike, I did 2.7 miles at 15 resistance, so I was effectively pedalling uphill the whole way. :tongue: It took me 28.35 minutes, so rather slow, and I burnt 140 calories.
    Altogether this morning I burnt 610 calories.

Want to talk to my DSIL today if I can get DH to phone her.
    This morning I had a nice long vhat with my London friend. She has trouble with her daughter - in - law, who doesn't want her to touch the baby. Very distressing. :cry:

Will make mince pies today for DH. I don't like them, thank goodness!

Love to all, Heather in Hampshire UK
    27681614.png
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,919 Member
    Options
    can someone please tell me why when I put in strength training, it doesn't show any calories burned? I'm getting frustrated with the lack of excersizes I can find in the cardio and strength training browers....is this making any sense? Are there any experts in this website out there?
    HELP
    Steff :D
    Hi Steff,
    If you want to log a calorie burn for strength training, there is a listing in the cardio database for strength training. I don't know how accurate it is...a lot depends on how much you weigh and how intense and continues your strength training is. For a year I used a heart rate monitor and used it to figure an approximate calorie burn for my strength training workouts and now I use that data to log my strength training using an entry I created for myself. I hope this helps. If you have questions, send me a personal message. I'm not an expert but I've been posting on MFP for over five years.

:D Barbie from NW Washington
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies,
    Just a quick check in. I started my new meds today and it will take awhile to see how things go. I may not post much but I do read everyday. You are all so inspiring. I have been a part of this thread for almost 5 years. I consider you a huge part of my life. Thankyou for being you.

Robin, Bodi and Ritter.
    Pacific Northwest
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,548 Member
    Options
    Alison - so sorry you have all this worry. You are so good. :flowerforyou:

Barb - great story about the grandchildren! :flowerforyou:

Pip - nice photos! If I ever have a dog I want one like yours!
    I know you like stats and so does Michele, so here is one of mine.
    Today, on the recumbent exercise bike, I did 2.7 miles at 15 resistance, so I was effectively pedalling uphill the whole way. :tongue: It took me 28.35 minutes, so rather slow, and I burnt 140 calories.
    Altogether this morning I burnt 610 calories.

Want to talk to my DSIL today if I can get DH to phone her.
    This morning I had a nice long vhat with my London friend. She has trouble with her daughter - in - law, who doesn't want her to touch the baby. Very distressing. :cry:

Will make mince pies today for DH. I don't like them, thank goodness!

Love to all, Heather in Hampshire UK
    27681614.png

hey there, nice stats, way to go!
    sorry, didn't catch the name but someone said they loved my dog, thanks~. if you're talking about the black one that I had posted, that is Yogi, he will turn 1 on jan 18! he is a black lab. his mom is American lab, dad is English lab. he's got the face of English but so far all energy of American. (I was hoping for English). i think i found me a running buddy so i will be able to wear him out a bit. my other two are golden retrievers. Floyd and Bullwinkle are left, (rocky is gone, he's the one in the back on the right).
    Christmas time is a bunch of mixed emotions. my late husband had a seizure on Christmas day in 1994 and we found out he was HIV positive on jan. 5th in 1995 and died later that year on October 10. he is always with me and would be very proud of me today and of the man that i am with now, they would have gotten along great. sometimes it's just hard.
  • pipcd34
    Options
    z5pei50sph41.jpg
    this is Floyd now, in my profile pic. he is way younger, in the back left.
  • pipcd34
    Options
    odmblwd54j7l.jpg
    this is Bullwinkle now, my 'ol lady, she is the one in the front, younger then.
  • terri_mom
    terri_mom Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Pip - It is hard to have so many losses in such a short time. I am glad you found another "love" that would have been friends with your first love; that is a lucky revelation. And you are lucky to have the dogs to wear-out on your rides and runs.

Today I need to take it easy at lunch (which just can't seem to come soon enough), because the High School bowling team is having a pizza party, to celebrate getting ready for the first match this weekend. So far I only accounted for 1 piece of pizza, so if I slip and have a second, I still won't go over in calories, only in fat grams. It is being Catered by a Local restaurant that is "famous" for it's pizza, and I've never tried theirs, so I really want at least 1 slice.

I am also loving the "burn unit" story for Christmas. I wish I could get my DS to have an "ah-ha" moment like that. I am always open about my charities, but DS never seems to care, and DH thinks I'm crazy (I guess they both think that these people are just trying to take advantage of me). Hopefully something will click soon.

Busy at work again. Hugs to everyone with needs, and congrats to everyone with successes.

Terri in Milwaukee
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather: Thank you over and over for the sourdough rye bread recipe. I’m in love! :heart: So is DH. I think good thoughts about you every time I have a piece. I do need to monitor the number of pieces I eat, though. :flowerforyou:

Robin: I hope your new medications are just right for you. Post when you can. :flowerforyou:

Pipced34: It sounds like you have endured great challenges and loss. I’m glad life is positive now. Your dogs are precious and I know how much love and companionship they bring into a person’s life. I can’t picture myself without one. Our current dog is a 7 year old Keeshond and as sweet a dog as I’ve ever met. He is also highly dependent on us and a bit needy. :ohwell: :flowerforyou:

Errands today. I’m planning on taking wreaths to my parents in the cemetery in Salem. It is a 76 mile trip each way and we “visit” them a couple of times a year. We still haven’t put up Christmas decorations. Have a great day.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

December Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep.

30881843.png
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,702 Member
    Options
    sitting with Homer and having a cup of tea before I go to work, went out to see DFIL..he was having blood drawn to see if the Depakote is moving out of his system..
    he came out with a few quips,hopefully we will see a little ray of sunshine before we leave for Florida.. they are working hard with PT,OT,ST, to get him back to a working state.. but they are still having to feed him or sit in the Dining room with him and prompt him to eat.
    I asked him right before I left , who am I and I prompted him , Im the? and he said Maid, so that is a glimmer of hope ..
    having alot of kidney pain and headaches... the ball is rolling and will get the kidney ultrasound tomorrow... and a physical next thursday...
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    Options
    Katla - so glad it worked out! It is also good toasted! :flowerforyou:

Alison - take care! Don't wait if you need to get those kidneys checked out st the ER. :flowerforyou:

We've now spoken to DSIL. Her son currently has sole custody and there will have to be arrangements eventually for the mother's access. I personally would only give her supervised access for the time being, but that is up to them. Her state of mind does not seem entirely rational, but she can only dig herself into a deeper hole. I feel desperately sorry for everyone, not the least for the mother, but they did an amazing thing to go out there and get the little girl back. They were stopped on entry to Heathrow, as the passport was flagged up, but after a phone call to check, all was well.

I made 18 mince pies today and ONLY ate a bit of raw pastry, logged at 100 cals. Yum! :laugh:

I'm going a little bit mad trying to arrange for different people to visit over the Christmas period. All very complicated and I think I have had enough of cooking now. :tongue: We can't go up to DSIL'S because she has the builders in doing her extension. I think I am going to say, in the nicest possible way to DH, it's your family, you do the cooking! I might just do that, though I think we might be going out! ! ! ! ! My little head is scrambled! Aaaarrrrgggghhhh! :sad:

Love Heather UK

27681614.png
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon! It's been a circus here this morning, and I'm taking a lunch break to regroup. I took the kids to school then went to Walmart to get juice drinks and napkins (and I ordered a birthday cake for tonight- the first one I have ever ordered from a store) then went to a different store to pick up the cupcakes I ordered, then to the school to drop off said cupcakes, juice drinks and napkins. Then my son called and asked if I would come to his place for a while.. The home health nurses were supposed to be there at 10:00, and he was a little nervous. This is a different set of nurses than he had before, and a different set of meds for his infusion. At first I said I was too busy, and he said that's OK, but the more I thought about it the more I thought that he wouldn't have asked if it wasn't something, so I changed my mind and went. The stuff I had to do could wait.

So, I got there just before 10:00 and the nurses didn't come till after 11:00. Their excuse: we got off to a slow start this morning. Grrr! (But I had a nice long visit with him so it wasn't time wasted.) So, I stayed for another 30 minutes or so till my son said it was OK for me to go. I guess he felt comfortable enough with them at that point. They did seem nice. I left before they started the actual infusion part, but they had eight vials of powdered medicine and eight vials of saline that they have to mix, then that is put into the saline bag which gets attached to the port in his chest. I'm not sure I could have watched that. They will be supervising him giving him his own infusions for a couple of visits, then he'll be on his own. I think it's scary, but he thinks it's no big deal.

Then came to the studio and quickly loaded the kiln and right after I finished, hubby came for lunch. He just left. So, this afternoon I will do some cleaning and organizing in the studio. One of the studio areas will be turned into gallery space for my open house, so I have to shift everything back into the other two rooms. I'm an unbelievable pack rat, so there's lots of junk. The trash can will be filled a few times, I'm sure. Then mop several times to get the clay off the floor.

The kids are coming over tonight for the DGS's birthday party. He is 6 years old today. Big boy! We are going to eat early and then I have to take DGD#2 to basketball practice. Next week DGD#1 has several choir recitals which will need my attention, so it will be a busy month.

So, I'd better get busy.

I hope you all have a great day!

Sylvia

• mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Today's joke of the day:

:)

Dolphins are so intelligent that within a few weeks of captivity they can train a man to stand on the edge of their pool and throw them fish three times a day.

:D
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Allison,I hope you aren't over stressing yourself right now. You are showing some classic signs. When was the last time DFIL has had a complete physical by an internest? Is the dr. he is under the care of specialized in geriatric patients? Do you really think you are going to enjoy yourself in Florida with at least you worrying about him in this state? I guess you can tell I am concerned about you today. Emotions can only be stretched so much and then they break. Between being required to be Mrs. Wonderful for your husband, working as much as you do and caring for your loved ones as deeply both emotionally and physically, you can only give so much. Then the cup is empty.

Cynthia, is this how you got involved in your cemetery stuff that you do. For the life of me the brain just turned off and I forgot what the project was called. My Mom was always trying to find out information about the migration of her relatives. She was sure we were related to General Nathaniel Greene. She wasn't searching just to call herself a relative of his but so that her children and grandchildren could take advantage of a scholarship available. So their idea of a good day off was to travel to the area, search the county records and then walking around the cemeteries. When my Dad was buried the company that made his headstone said that a lot of people are putting the names of their children on the back of the headstone along with a birth date. The children's names were just the first name only since kids marry and remarry. Dad had a huge book about all his geneology and anyone who would have any amount of interest should be prepared for him to go through each and every page along with the stories each page had. He had picturesof birth, death and marriage certificates if he couldn't get the actual copies. Mom's book was different. She wanted the geneology but also wanted the story of how a person got from place A to place B, their method of travel, did they go by land or down a river on boat. Who did they meet, what kind of people were they. Dad just wanted the info. Mom wanted the story behind it. Oh well, you really didn't ask for all of that. My youngest daughter, Michelle, was the only person who showed any interest in Dad's black book and the stories inside. So when Mom dies, the will had Dad's black book going to Michelle. Anytime there was any kind of family history project in school Michelle would get an A+ on it. Michelle lived at home at the time she got the book so I took care of adding any divorce, wedding, death, birth or whatever using Dad's method.

I have decided I need to change my bedtime snack. I think some one here suggested it but I wasn't willing to listen. I could eat a whole box of the Kashi go lean crunch but I won't allow myself to. So I am going to leave that off, not even buy it. I think I will got back to the cottage cheese and pineapple that I was eating when I started on my diet but when I found out how high in sodium it was I switched to yogurt. Then I found out how high my sodium needs to be. Where I was trying on my own to limit my sodium to 1500 mg, the doctor needs it to be 2300 mg. Always confer with your doctor. My blood sodium is normally low and I have found out from the cardiologist after I had my fainting spells needs me to keep that level around 2300. I fail that many days. Some times I feel like going back to frozen food entrees just to keep my sodium up. I know what you may say, but oh those carbohydrates! That's the only reason I wouldn't.

Joyce, Indiana