WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2014

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    Options
    The mince pies I made are little individual ones as in the video that Cynthia posted. I made my own mincemeat. Originally I think it did have some meat in it, but these days the only animal product is suet. A lot of people use vegetable suet. It is dried fruit mainly with citrus rind and sugar. Not my favourite Christmas treat.

Apart from exercising so that I can eat I also love the way I look and the way I feel. My cleaner reminded me today that when she first came to me, nearly four years ago, it was because I couldn't manage to do my own cleaning. She said I could hardly climb the stairs! I remember it being such a struggle to get in and out of the car. I had to lift my left leg in with my hands. My leg was so weak because of a dodgy knee. My knee is still dodgy, but I have worked very, very hard on strengthening the muscles around it and it functions now for everyday life. I still would be unable to run or dance much, which is a shame as I used to dance a lot. I am thankful every day for my current state of health and hope it continues. Over seven years ago I had breast cancer with a course of chemotherapy that took a while to get over. I carried on putting on weight because I was so sedentary and my bad knee didn't help. Walking became impossible when I injured the other knee on holiday. It has been a long haul and my DH has been so patient and encouraging. He is fit and slim. I started small and gradually increased my exercise. At one stage I thought I would explode if I did more than 200 calories exercise a day.
    I feel lucky that I have the time to devote to my health. I really admire those of you who manage to combine a healthy regime with a job. :flowerforyou: Pip, you seem to have found a good solution.

Anyway, I thought I would recap for the new people that I started with small steps and worked my way up. I was virtually immobile, so if I can, anyone can.

Love to all, Heather UK
    27681614.png
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Friday here and day 5 week 2 of JJ's 15 week challenge.
    Training: 33 min Bikini boot-camp, Circuit A (back, tris and thighs) 1 hour doggy walk = 649 cals
    Meals: breakfast = JJ's smoked salmon bagel, lunch = JJ's curried chicken sandwich, dinner = grilled pork chop, potato, carrot and broccoli and home-made rhubarb tart, + snacks allowed = 1975 clas
    Dietitian said between 1600 and 1900 cals, deduct training so about 1200 left. Today = 1324. All OK as housework = 217 cals
    I am using Jeannette's breakfasts, lunches and snacks and her training. Keeps me on track for the 15 weeks. I have her recipe book and all her DVDs

My stats, I did bodybuilding from 1980 to 2005, and back to it 2 years ago.
    Weight = 214 lbs, BF% = 26%
    I am NOT a normal everyday person so my training and eating does NOT suit everyone. lol
    Lesley in Tasmania
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,548 Member
    Options
    Lestan48 wrote: »
    Friday here and day 5 week 2 of JJ's 15 week challenge.
    Training: 33 min Bikini boot-camp, Circuit A (back, tris and thighs) 1 hour doggy walk = 649 cals
    Meals: breakfast = JJ's smoked salmon bagel, lunch = JJ's curried chicken sandwich, dinner = grilled pork chop, potato, carrot and broccoli and home-made rhubarb tart, + snacks allowed = 1975 clas
    Dietitian said between 1600 and 1900 cals, deduct training so about 1200 left. Today = 1324. All OK as housework = 217 cals
    I am using Jeannette's breakfasts, lunches and snacks and her training. Keeps me on track for the 15 weeks. I have her recipe book and all her DVDs

My stats, I did bodybuilding from 1980 to 2005, and back to it 2 years ago.
    Weight = 214 lbs, BF% = 26%
    I am NOT a normal everyday person so my training and eating does NOT suit everyone. lol
    Lesley in Tasmania

u go gurl!
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,702 Member
    Options
    evening ladies~
    I am sooo exsuasted.. I am just sitting down now from 4:00 am this morning..
    DFIL isnt doing well at all.. dont know if any of you nurses specialized in geriatric ,but we just seemed baffled that he could have slipped so far down in such a short amount of time.. went to see him around 8 ,he was at the dining table and wouldnt even wake up,i shook his arm and all, Tom and I went back tonight, he was at the dining table again, totally out of it, asked him if he loved us, shook his head no, do you want us to stay, again shook his head no,started trying to take off his shirt ,and he told me to leave him alone..
    I am just flabbergasted... Tom still think this all has to do with the medication, but I dont really know.. I am going to call the Dr who treats him and see if I can get any answers..
    Went to Penney's and picked up my DB sweater, then went and picked up Homer at the groomers, then came home dropped him off, and went for the ultrasound, they were poking and prodding for about 45 min, and I am really sore.. just took some tylenol. did a bit of grocery shopping in between..,
    after all that I came home and made cherry nut bread, fudge and gingerbread cookies to give as gifts and take to Florida..
    well I am going to drop into bed now ,but will catch up in the a.m
  • jeanniebeanie59
    jeanniebeanie59 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    ok, back on again after sev months off, gained weight over Thanksgiving and feeling a bit down. Needing to exercise and not having much energy but I think I just need a kick in the bu......will try and post my doggy Ivy , she keeps me company while painting in my studio and while my hubby is gone till the weekend comes around again.j8vn9waxtcgq.jpg
  • wessecg
    wessecg Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh!! I love how easy it is to post pictures now, and absolutely love the doggy pictures. I'm glad someone recognized that my poodle is not black. Katla called him grey (he's actually considered a blue) but close enough. He is even lighter than he appears in that photo yet my husband still insists on calling him black.

Beth - thanks for the kind words, you just might have to be my new best friend :D
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,919 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    smiley-cool05.gif Heather, thanks for the recap of your journey

smiley-chores002.gifCheryl, your poodle is beautiful. Do you take walks together?

smiley-chores002.gifPip, Floyd was a darling puppy...Rocky is beautiful, too......at one time we had Shilo, a Golden Retriever, who was a therapy dog

smiley-chores002.gifjeanniebeanie, Ivy is darling....I'd want her in my lap all the time

smiley-cool05.gif.One of the things I love about this thread is how respectful we are of the different paths we all follow. We support each other in our slightly different journeys and learn what we can from each other. I gave up baking and don't cook or eat for recreation.....others have succeeded with many food recreations.

:bigsmile: Today I took the four hats I knit and the six hats from Terri to line dance class to give to the woman who is collecting them so lots of women got to look and admire Terri's creative work.

:bigsmile: today I made my appointment for my yearly mammogram..just a nudge to anyone who is putting it off.

smiley-happy020.gifBarbie from beautiful not so chilly NW Washingtonsmiley-happy093.gif
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,548 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:
    Ride hm 2 gym- 12.43min 13.9amph 3mi
    Rowing machine- 15min, 43aw (average watts/power), 2086meters
    jog- 8.13min, 8.14ap (average pace/ 8.14minute mile) , 7.2-8.5sp (sp is speed number on the treadmill), 1mi
    rope pull- 5.13min, 536feet, 87 feet per minute, level 7 (hardest level), top setting
    ride gym 2 dome- 6.44min, 12.5amph 1.4mi
    ride dome 2 hm - 17.21min, 9.4amph 2.7mi
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Spent yesterday and today decorating the house for Christmas. It looks really pretty, but I am exhausted. I can't believe all these folks with a tree in every room. I do good to get up one tree. This is the earliest we have ever been decorated, but the grandkids are coming this weekend and I wanted it done for them. My daughter got the family a sensory-friendly, before regular hours appointment with Santa through Autism Speaks. It will be interesting to see how that goes. She has found so many great opportunities for the kids through that charity. I am so proud of her for being pro-active with my DGS's situation.

I'm doing great so far (yes, I know it is only the 4th) with my December goals of steps and fiber, but my water goal may have been a bit ambitious! At least I've really upped it, even if I don't get 114 oz every day. I'm at least getting 64 oz and usually more.

• mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good evening everyone! I had so much on my plate today that the plate broke! I won't bore you with it all, like I usually do, but I'm glad this day is over! I just got home and it's after 9:00. Time for bed!

Tomorrow is our group pottery show in Joplin, so I have to load up the van and be there about 9:00 AM and won't get home till about 10 PM. It'll be another long day.

I had some fairly bad angina earlier and took some nitro. Probably should take another one now, but hope just lying down will help. And I've been feeling such stress that I have a fever blister starting. Do any of you get those little buggers? What a pain. Always get them when I'm stressed. And always when I want to look my best, too. I put some Abreva on it, but I don't think I got it soon enough.

Molly and Spot were playing together this afternoon! I was so happy to see it. They were having so much fun they didn't even react when hubby got the leashes to go walk. There was no growling! Just chasing, face fighting, ang general pretend mayhem. Poor Bruno was left out, so he was barking encouragement from the sidelines. Maybe those two will work it out after all.

Well, I'm going to bed. Good night everyone!

Sylvia
  • freechewy
    freechewy Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies, my name is Patricia. I am hoping to have friends in their 50's to encourage me on my weightloss and I will encourage you on yours. I am having a very tough time with being discouraged. I deleted my old account last night out of frustration. I have been on here for a year. I have only lost 7 pounds. Trying to lose 15 total as my doctor suggested.

Anyhow, thank you and Happy Holidays!
  • monicabroadbentswearingen
    Options
    We all get frustrated from time to time. That is a long time to only lose 7 lbs. Would love to know more about your situation as far as health, eating habits and exercise. Not being nosy just thought I could offer some suggestions if I was more informed.
  • hoff2002
    hoff2002 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Wow, you ladies impress me! I sit in awe of what so many of you have accomplished and all the trials and tribulations you have been through. You are all, each in your own way, an inspiration to me. Thank you for sharing your stories and giving us a brief glimpse into your lives!

Barbie, I feel the same way. I love how this group supports one another despite our diverse backgrounds and situations. It is really a beautiful thing to see. There is no judging just loving support. I love the pictures that you post of your areas, your fur babies, and your families. It's so nice to see some glimpses of your lives. Again, thank you!

I don't have a lot of time to address everyone individually, so I just wanted to say that I love reading your stories and getting to know you all a little better. I think of you during the day and say a silent prayer that you will be blessed, healthy, and happy.

One quick story before I have to scoot. Hope it makes you laugh a little at my expense. My DD#3 who lives in Colorado wrote me an email today. It said, "The monster truck pajamas came in today. I think Calum is going to love them." (Calum is her 2 year old son.) I wrote back, "Uh...did you buy Calum those pajamas, or did I?" She replied, "Well, they were addressed to me and they were billed to you, so I guess that means you bought them!" LOL! I am so lost without my spreadsheet that lists what I bought everyone for Christmas that I had totally forgotten. It's really getting bad....LOL!

Wishing you all a wonderful evening (or day)! Hugs to all!

Barb from South Louisiana

• jeanniebeanie59
    jeanniebeanie59 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    did get in a 30 minute walk, so glad about that cause I haven't done much of anything for awhile!! Love this group!! Thanks for the comments on my little dog buddy Ivy!!
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. Today was a quiet day at work and I got a ton of stuff done. My sis in law is doing well, up and walking, so that is a relief. I got a little Christmas shopping done. I figure if I do a small amount at a time I won’t get so over whelmed with it.

Vicki: im sorry about your sister in law. Cancer is an awful disease.

Margaret: I am one of the people who simply hates this time of year but I try to learn to like it. So far so good this year. We’ll see how it goes!

Barb: what a wonderful holiday activity!

Sylvia: great pic! Made me smile

Michele: I used to love going to fabric stores. I may have to visit one again soon.

Steff: I haven’t added exercise in a while, but I used to get calories when I put in weight lifting!

Cheryl: great photos. You look happy and comfortable. Now stay aboard! Should I keep calling you Carol ? LOL

Sassy: what a beautiful photo!

Cynthia: we may be related. My mother was abducted by aliens and they left a pod in her body! At least that’s the story I told when she started getting dementia back in the 80s and it wasn’t really well understood at the time. People always wondered about her behavior.

Alison: that must be so hard for you. I tell my students when we go to nursing homes you can either laugh or cry. Try to find something (it may be very, very small) that is funny, sweet, or a small miracle.

Robin: glad to see you and hope the meds continue to work. You are so sweet and I consider you a wonderful and dear friend. Let me know if I can help.

Pip: sweet puppies!

Heather: don’t you just hate how holidays can get so complicated? I talked to Dalton’s mom and we decided each of our families would just continue doing what we normally do for holidays and the kids can decide how and when to visit. Makes things a lot more simple than trying to plan around everyone.

Joyce: speaking of snacks, I struggle with good protein snacks that are low fat. I eat a bit of cheese each day but get tired of it. Any ideas? Lately I’ve been having ½ cup cottage cheese and a granola thin which has only 15 carbs, perfect for a snack.

Vicki: I hope you go to bed and get over that headache. Those surprises never turn out well, do they?

Yanniejannie: how’s the knee doing?

Barbie: great picture. Who is who?

Sweetand sassy: congrats!

Kim: it is easy to get behind, isn’t it?

Heather: good for you to lose that pesky pound

Beth: why is it that Christmas always makes us feel like we are way behind? I feel that way too

Kelly: welcome to the group

Stephanie: welcome to you too

Patricia: glad to have you aboard too!

All the doggie pictures are great! I’ll have to try to get some of my dog’s and cats’
    pictures uploaded. It’s so much fun to see everyone’s baby. Well I’m suffering a bit from my potato chip binge from last night but that will keep me away from them for a while! Take care all….bedtime….Meg from Omaha where our new foot ball coach whose record is 93-80 has a “winning” record. WTH! Take care!
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,344 Member
    Options
    Did 1 hr of "Transform your Body by Brooke Burke" DVD. The good part of this DVD is that her trainer is also in the DVD, so he does most of the technical work. She's more there for the selling of it. Tomorrow's plan is to do Jillian Michael's Burn Fat Boost Metabolism DVD

After exercising went to the soup kitchen and gave them all the candy that lady had given me for them. Then went to the post office, then Aldi (needed veges), returned 2 shirts to ACMoore and stopped at Party City where they did have the green tights.

So what I'll do is use the elf outfit this year that I have, it is a bit on the snug side but then again, my MIL made it for me when I was around 20, so at the time it probably fit real well. During the year I'll look for green material and hopefully, Diane can make one for me.

Then helped Vince put out more Christmas decorations. Got all of the inflatables out. Tomorrow will probably be putting out the blowmolds. Tonight is Newcomer bowling.

Sassy - congrats on the loss!

Pretty busy today, so just skimming the posts. Please pardon me if I miss someone

Heather - great stats. Congrats on that loss

Wrote out my Christmas cards last night and am putting some in the mail tonight.

Beth - MEN!!!! They sometimes give us a good laugh, I know Vince sometimes does that for me.

Kelly - welcome! How much longer will you be in Miami. What brought you there????

Diana - happy birthday to your son. More and more I'm liking buffets because I get to have what I want and can pass up or only take a very small portion of other things. That's one of the reasons I don't want to go to the Newcomer Christmas party. It's "catered" sit down, you can't get more veggies only what they give you and you have to take the amount of meat that they give you.

Got back from Newcomer bowling. I actually got a turkey!!!!! Then made Vince's birthday cake, it's in the oven right now. I made him a chocolate cream cheese pound cake.

Stephanie - welcome. What part of VA are you in (the city?)

Poor Loki had another seizure. We've been keeping track. So far he's had 7 THAT WE KNOW OF in the last 2-1/2 months (from when we first started keeping track, he's had seizures for some time now)

Toni - when I take the deep water class, I use those webbed gloves and recently started wearing the water shoes. I'm amazed how much resistance those shoes add. The gloves add resistance, too, but I guess I'm used to it. That course you're taking sounds really interesting. Tell me more about how you picked it out.

salub - your christmas sounds so neat

Heather - "you've come a long way baby"

Alison - so sorry to hear about your FIL

jeannie - what an adorable doggie!

Patricia - welcome!

Michele in NC
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Hi Friends,
    I'm still in the crush of back-to-back-to back business travel. Came home from Louisville last night, and need to repack to head to Albuquerque early tomorrow. The extent of my holiday spirit is getting a holiday collar and leash for Mars the wonder cat. B) He gets two walks a day, even in the snow. My 96 year old neighbor really looks forward to his visits.

I've managed to keep up with logging my exercise, but the food ... fuggetaboutit! The carbs are creeping back, so I really need to get back to cleaner choices.

I'm currently 6 pages behind with this thread, but will catch up and share some goals as soon as I can. Know that I think of you and send you virtual hugs and pats on the backs for all the great effort you are putting forward to be your most healthy and radiant selves. Keep it up!

Rori
    Colorado Foothills
    Word for 2014 = Release
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    2j21v3bi7xo9.jpg

Mars with Jingle Bells
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    SYLVIA!. Is there a trusted family member or friend going with you tomorrow to this show. One episode of angina tonight and more than likely 'another'. I would imagine that going to this show that it means that you are taking things out of your car or van to set up, Then working the show, maybe not eating well or drinking enough water. That sets this nurse on red alert. I don't want to come here tomorrow night and see that Sylvia is in the hospital with a heart attack. Please, please take care of yourself. You have grand children to help bring up properly. So glad Molly and Spot are playing together. So I guess hubbie is reacting better to Spot?

Going to my first ever ballet tomorrow night. I have seen ballerinas on So you think you can dance but I have never seen an actual ballet. Now I know this one is different. I think most of the show is children and teenagers. But it is still my first. But my eye is going to be on a certain little angel (literally) which will be my youngest grand daughter. It is also her first ballet to be in. They have an Aunt on Dad's side that used to love on those girls so much. My daughter and family live in Lexington Ky and his only sibling, this aunt, live in Louisville, Ky and her and Grandma love to love on them. I won't say spoil, love on them is a better term. Mary wasn't married until well into her 30's and she loved her nieces and had all the money in the world to spend on them, shoes, clothes, hats. Any way she would be able to get tickets for free for the final rehearsal of the Nutcracker each Christmas. But she is now married and has a son so her life being the doting Aunt has changed. So they don't go anymore.

We know there is quite a bit of construction on I 64 and we will be driving through Louisville during rush hour so we are leaving plenty of driving time. If we get to my daughter's house to early that is just fine with me. My sister is going with us and she hasn't seen their house. I know it's messy but I told her that we are used to it and my sister's daughters house is a mess also. But it's a townhouse and I know Norma will want to see the girls room so that means climbing stairs after a long possible 4 hour drive. Knowing Norma, she will want to go up to see the upstairs. And then we will get home around midnight or later. But that makes it no problem for me to get to church on time Sunday for my trio.

Sunday we are singing Breath of Heaven. That is such a wonderful song. After Christina had her first eyar of college, some of them started this 'interprative dance'. Now in 'good' Southern Baptist churches you don't dance. But this was more of an art form. Kind of like ballet but not in those shoes or dresses. Just act out the music and what it makes your heart and emotions feel and guide you to do. I think we had a deaf choir perform at our church around the same time and that is how they express their music. They feel the music in their feet.She was always the better singer of our two girls so the plan was for her to sing and let Michelle do the dance. Gracefull dancing is not a term I would use to describe Michelle. So they revered it. It was a moment this Mom can never forget. No amount of Kleenexes would help me get through it. so Sunday will be very retro perspective for me.

Everyone says it is now easier to take and add pictures. I will have to add a pic of my sweet Melody

Joyce, Indiana
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Toni from TN: I hated mince as a child, too. I never gave it a second chance, though. :noway: My family also called it mince meat. No idea what was in it. :flowerforyou:

Alison: It sounds as though your DFIL is slipping. It could be his time, or he could be having medication problems. I have no idea how to tell. Sending hugs your way. :flowerforyou:

Jeanniebeanie: Cute dog. :flowerforyou:

Dr. Katie: We spent today decorating, too. We’ve done less than usual, but we’re satisfied. :flowerforyou:

Sylvia: I hope you have companionship and help during your long drive and long day at the pottery show before you get to come home. Good news about the dog situation. :bigsmile: :heart:

Meg: Good luck with the protein snacks. A lot of folks recommend smoothies. I’ve never tried them. :flowerforyou:

Rori: I don’t envy your travel schedule. Stop in here whenever you can. I love the kitty picture. :flowerforyou:

We’ve had a busy few days. Some of our Christmas shopping is done, but none of the wrapping. We’ve done all the decorating we plan to do this year. We haven’t decorated the boat or the outside of our home as we usually do. We have really toned things back this year. It will have to do as it is. DH is doing pretty well with physical therapy following his surgery, but he isn’t up to climbing ladders to put up lights or helping me do it and I’m not willing to try doing things he’d want to do himself. He’d probably wind up trying to do them himself, and pushing too hard. He’s making good progress following his surgery and we’re planning to keep it that way. With luck, next year we’ll be able to put up all our decorations. Our favorite things are on display and that is enough. We anticipate travelling to see each of our kids and won’t be home a good bit of this holiday season.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

“Tradition is not to preserve the ashes but to pass on the flame.” sweetnsassyfied

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

December Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least three glasses of water daily, preferably more!
    5. Eliminate alcohol.
    6. Monitor sleep.

30881843.png