diet (soda) pop hindered weight loss

Options

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Correlation =/= causation. I've lost 100 pounds so far drinking it. If drinking it makes you more likely to overeat, that's a different matter, so investigate what affects your food intake and adjust accordingly.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I will agree with the others that say diet soda has no effect on weight loss. It will not stop you from losing weight but wont help either unless you use it to replace something with calories.

If you are positive your calorie counting is close to accurate it would most likely mean you got an initial loss of water weight and it just got replenished. Might be fluid retention in muscle due to your workouts or for another reason. This can mask any real weight loss pretty easily over the short term.

Three weeks is not a lot of time to adjust to a diet or exercise plan. Try to give it some time, be as accurate as you can be, and dont stress over it.

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    Good article you posted above IILikeToMoveIt

Gain weight by “going diet?” Artificial sweeteners and the neurobiology of sugar cravings
    Neuroscience 2010

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2892765/

How is this relevant to the OP?

She asked,
    Anyone experience hindered weight loss when they added diet pop to their diets?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    Vitaphobia wrote: »
    I am not a dietitian but I've heard of diet sodas being worse for you than regular soda. something about the type of sugar increases the chance of binges.
    No, that's silly. :)

Do you have science to back up your personal opinion?
    Nope, except countless people, including me. have drank diet sodas without binges. Some people who do binge don't drink diet soda.

That is fine. We all a right to our personal opinions.

How is that personal opinion? Are you saying that everyone who binges drinks diet soda? And that people who drink diet soda all binge?

If not, then its not personal opinion.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Good article you posted above IILikeToMoveIt

Gain weight by “going diet?” Artificial sweeteners and the neurobiology of sugar cravings
    Neuroscience 2010

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2892765/

How is this relevant to the OP?

She asked,
    Anyone experience hindered weight loss when they added diet pop to their diets?

She also gave some additonal info - context, its important.

So, using context, how again is this relevant to the OP? Read the context of her post.

Weight stall - one week
    Started an additional exercise
    Tracks calories.

Now, you tell me what is more likely? Or are you saying she is not tracking calories?

• musaorak
    Options
    I am drinking 3 sodas per day (I know not good but I hate water so much and can't take pure water) and still lost 16 pounds last 3 months.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    maxit wrote: »
    Science is gradually showing that artificial sweeteners have an impact on bacteria in the gut which affects metabolism. I don't drink "diet" anything and advise folks to curtail use of artificial sweeteners for optimal health. http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/09/140917131634.htm

Maxit that is an awesome article link you posted. I make it a hyperlink below. It seems a direct link between artificial sweeteners and getting Type 2 Diabetes is real.

sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/09/140917131634.htm

"The findings showed that many -- but not all -- of the volunteers had begun to develop glucose intolerance after just one week of artificial sweetener consumption. The composition of their gut microbiota explained the difference: the researchers discovered two different populations of human gut bacteria -- one that induced glucose intolerance when exposed to the sweeteners, and one that had no effect either way. Dr. Elinav believes that certain bacteria in the guts of those who developed glucose intolerance reacted to the chemical sweeteners by secreting substances that then provoked an inflammatory response similar to sugar overdose, promoting changes in the body's ability to utilize sugar."

Another reference article mentioned is below. You will see a summary and 14 charts free so open the link if you wish. To read the full research is $32.

nature.com/nature/journal/v514/n7521/full/nature13793.html

"Non-caloric artificial sweeteners (NAS) are among the most widely used food additives worldwide, regularly consumed by lean and obese individuals alike. NAS consumption is considered safe and beneficial owing to their low caloric content, yet supporting scientific data remain sparse and controversial. Here we demonstrate that consumption of commonly used NAS formulations drives the development of glucose intolerance through induction of compositional and functional alterations to the intestinal microbiota."

How many of those big words do you understand? And seriously, diet soda in itself does not cause weight gain. Is it possible that you binge with diet soda? Sure, but it is the extra calories NOT the diet soda that causes the weight gain.

How many times to people have to tell you the same thing? Besides... Why would you be looking up diet soda research. It has more than 3 ingredients so to wouldnt drink it anyway.

elphie754 I really do not understand your demeanor. I am staying up late delaying my evening walk to try to answer a young person's serious question about diet drink impact on her diet.

The articles that I can not read and comprehend I do not post which are many even after 12 years of butt in chair schooling since graduating from high school. Since we know artificial sweeteners can harm/kill the millions of critters living in our guts that helps us digest our food why do you think that could not impact weight gain or loss?

What are you talking about when you ask, "How many times to people have to tell you the same thing?

Did you get the message from the article that drinking diet drinks is expected to be a cause of Type 2 diabetes?

Critters?!? If you have critters living in you, you should see a doctor. Do you mean digestive microorganisms? Those are single cell organism not "critters". You show in pretty much every post that you really don't have much of a grasp for science. You stated before that your digestive microorganisms may be different from others. That's not how it works. If they are "different" it is due to illness.

Your body CANNOT create calories where calories do not exist. It is scientifically impossible. If you are not losing weight while drinking diet soda it is because you are eating too much.

And yes, you argue the same nonsense all the time. You even came to my board about water intake, to tell me to detox and not eat carbs. I quickly showed you the door because that was not in any way relevant to my question.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    ktm96 wrote: »
    sorry guys.....didnt wanna sound like an idiot......just looking for some helpful advice. Weight loss isnt the easiest thing to get done.

It ain't you, babe. You keep on - educate yourself and learn the facts about nutrition. It's just the season of the woo, evidently. Either that or I'm hangry and going into starvation mode or something. ;-)

you funny :grinning:
  • katherine_startrek_fan
    Options
    Diet sodas are terrible for you. Yes, many women in my family cannot lose weight if drinking them. All of us are off diet sodas and losing. The chemicals in them are detrimental to everyone's health and weight loss to many.

My doctor says that she has consistently seen patients lose ten pounds simply by giving up diet soda. The chemicals in it seriously screw with your body.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I wish they'd add an option to flag people for being wrong. Flag: Spam, Abuse, Report, Incorrect information.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    Ever since I've added diet pop to my diet I have not been able to lose weight-I have been at a 1200 calorie diet, and am strictly counting everything, there is no way possible i am going over my calorie intake. Anyone experience hindered weight loss when they added diet pop to their diets?

Do you weigh your food?

This!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    It must be something else then......it just I've been on a 1200 calorie diet for the past 3 weeks-and yes, i weigh my food, and I started at 132....then down to 127.....now I've been at 130 for the past week.....its just really annoying. I SHOULD be at 126 right now but I'm 130.......what can I do? I just started playing ice hockey.....maybe I'm gaining muscle in my legs? Idk though because I only play for about 20 minutes total a game and one game per week for the last month. I skate really hard and fast though and I'm tired in my legs afterward and the day after......still though.......I should be losing SOME fat.

It's not the diet soda. Weight loss is not linear. You have not gained any appreciable muscle, if any, by playing ice hockey. You may well be retaining water in the muscle though if this is a new type of activity for you - which will be masking any loss.

lmao..I think there is a fundamental flaw in this flagging system. ^^That got flagged as spam. lol.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I have read that it can affect how your body handles insulin. Stop using diet sodas and drink water, tea, or coffee instead.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    Options
    I drink diet coke every weekday. I've lost 35lbs...
  • NerdieMcChub
    NerdieMcChub Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    It's always possible to go over, especially if you don't weigh your foods. How would something with no calories hinder weight loss? They're not good for you, obviously, neither is regular soda, but I mean, really? I don't get that.
  • jmawds3
    jmawds3 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Has anyone mentioned that 1200 may be too few calories? I'm not sure how much you weigh or how tall you are, but 1200 calories is just barely enough calories to survive everyday, especially with the addition of ANY exercise! Your metabolism may be slowing down. I'll echo everyone and say that diet soda isn't great for you, but it seems like your problems may be eating too little! Try upping your intake to 1400-1500 hundred for a few days and see what happens!
  • ElizabethMaryam
    ElizabethMaryam Posts: 159 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    They (diet or regular pop) caused me to retain water; but I have had problems with my kidneys since having radiation, so I think water retention could affect certain people depending on their various health conditions. My son drinks it every day and it doesn't cause him any water retention. When my mum used to drink pop (for years until just until recently), it never caused her to retain water either, and she drank way more than I did. FYI
  • lillisag
    lillisag Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    If you are drinking diet soda that is not Sodium free - Many brand are very high in salt. So, the excess salt intake will cause water weight gain. Try sodium free diet drinks.
  • ktm96
    ktm96 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    But even if 1200 would be too little.....wouldnt I still lose weight? I'm at a deficit. I weigh 130 pounds and my goal is to get to 125. Its been really really hard to get to. I am 5"5. And YES. i weigh my food on a scale.