women who dont shave

Options

Replies

• swole_elsa
    swole_elsa Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I knew a guy who raced bicycles and used to shave his legs because of it. I never really understood how that helped so if any boys here have an answer to that, I'd be curious to know the reason. I can't imagine it being an aerodynamic thing no matter how hairy your legs are.

Would also like to know this. And why swimmers shave. I understand that every little bit of speed helps, but does hair really create that much drag?
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    Depends. Can she cook and is she quiet while the game is on?

I am not quiet during any game, especially hockey.

As for the shaving question, I shave but am not fanatical about it. The concept of a woman's entire body being completely hairless falls into the "get a life" category for me.

So if a woman prefers to share her legs, her armpits and get a Brazilian, she needs to "get a life"? Judgey post is judgey.
  • radiosilents
    radiosilents Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I am so glad that some people are speaking up about this in a positive way for those who choose not to shave. I am one of those women, mainly because it annoys me all to h*ll that there is this double standard. Men can have hair wherever, but women are expected to be hairless and smooth everywhere? People, we are all animals. Some of us have more "fur" than others naturally. I suppose living in this culture I wish I was less hairy, but I'm not. I'm SO sorry that my forearm hair grosses you out, man! *rolls eyes* A lifetime of knowing this is what many people think causes me to almost always wear long sleeves.

I am hairier than my male partner of 15 years, and he doesn't give a crap. Maybe it's a punk thing?

I don't shave my legs or armpits because I think the double standard is for the birds. That said, I generally don't expose it because of my own issues – not because I think it is gross, because I don't, but I guess because I don't feel like dealing with stares and snickers.

Just so you all know, some women even have hairy faces! *gasp* And it's sometimes just because that's how they are, not because of a hormonal imbalance or anything else. On that subject, I think many more women have facial hair than any of us could know because it is SO taboo. I'm going to be frank here, because why not? I have to shave my face every day. It sucks, but here is something I probably absolutely HAVE to do so I don't look like a circus sideshow. I actually did let it grow for a while when I was at college (one that was VERY liberal and arty), and no one ever said boo to me about it. If only all the world was like that! It was an interesting experiment. Again, my partner knows about it but it doesn't bother him.

Get a life, people. It's HAIR.
  • AgentRomanova
    Options
    Any kind of bullying sends you straight into the 'yup, complete d*ckbag' corner, but girls have to deal with an entire multi-billion dollar beauty industry that profits off their low self-esteem and constant media and societal bombardment telling them how to exist anyway, so little snot-nosed brats in schoolyards really don't need to be adding to that pressure.

Granted, women do have a lot of bombardment telling them how to be, but we can't forget men have the same issue. What of all the Calvin Klein underwear ads and whatnot telling them they have to have chiseled abs and a rather large dingledongle?

While it's not as widespread, it's still an issue for both genders. I say everyone should have the right to do as they please, both men and women, hairy or not hairy:-)

Men have their own set of standards, yes, but this conversation is about women and I don't feel the need to insert men into it. While men have expectations, they are not so numerous and extensively expected as those that are applied to women from a very young age.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    I knew a guy who raced bicycles and used to shave his legs because of it. I never really understood how that helped so if any boys here have an answer to that, I'd be curious to know the reason. I can't imagine it being an aerodynamic thing no matter how hairy your legs are.

Would also like to know this. And why swimmers shave. I understand that every little bit of speed helps, but does hair really create that much drag?

It's supposed to cut down on air/water drag, making the skin more aerodynamic.
  • CarolinaAcorn
    CarolinaAcorn Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Some of us have very little armpit hair and get away with plucking or even bleaching. Wish it was that easy for the legs!
    Lady hair doesn't bother me, as long as she's not a damn wookie.

I ain't trying to get a handful of Chewbacca butt.

DON'T HATE ME BECAUSE I'M BEAUTIFUL!!!
    snjsvdnbgxab.jpg

This made me laugh out loud, during a conference call. Awesome.
  • swole_elsa
    Options
    Any kind of bullying sends you straight into the 'yup, complete d*ckbag' corner, but girls have to deal with an entire multi-billion dollar beauty industry that profits off their low self-esteem and constant media and societal bombardment telling them how to exist anyway, so little snot-nosed brats in schoolyards really don't need to be adding to that pressure.

Granted, women do have a lot of bombardment telling them how to be, but we can't forget men have the same issue. What of all the Calvin Klein underwear ads and whatnot telling them they have to have chiseled abs and a rather large dingledongle?

While it's not as widespread, it's still an issue for both genders. I say everyone should have the right to do as they please, both men and women, hairy or not hairy:-)

Men have their own set of standards, yes, but this conversation is about women and I don't feel the need to insert men into it. While men have expectations, they are not so numerous and extensively expected as those that are applied to women from a very young age.

Agree wholeheartedly. I think it's a problem for both genders, but I would rather focus on the larger issue rather than taking them on all at once, a point many people tend to forget when talking to feminists
  • jasonmh630
    jasonmh630 Posts: 2,850 Member
    Options

As for the shaving question, I shave but am not fanatical about it. The concept of a woman's entire body being completely hairless falls into the "get a life" category for me.

I see your point, but an individual's personal preference doesn't mean they should "get a life" because it doesn't line up with your personal preference.
  • AgentRomanova
    Options
    I am so glad that some people are speaking up about this in a positive way for those who choose not to shave. I am one of those women, mainly because it annoys me all to h*ll that there is this double standard. Men can have hair wherever, but women are expected to be hairless and smooth everywhere? People, we are all animals. Some of us have more "fur" than others naturally. I suppose living in this culture I wish I was less hairy, but I'm not. I'm SO sorry that my forearm hair grosses you out, man! *rolls eyes* A lifetime of knowing this is what many people think causes me to almost always wear long sleeves.

I am hairier than my male partner of 15 years, and he doesn't give a crap. Maybe it's a punk thing?

I don't shave my legs or armpits because I think the double standard is for the birds. That said, I generally don't expose it because of my own issues – not because I think it is gross, because I don't, but I guess because I don't feel like dealing with stares and snickers.

Just so you all know, some women even have hairy faces! *gasp* And it's sometimes just because that's how they are, not because of a hormonal imbalance or anything else. On that subject, I think many more women have facial hair than any of us could know because it is SO taboo. I'm going to be frank here, because why not? I have to shave my face every day. It sucks, but here is something I probably absolutely HAVE to do so I don't look like a circus sideshow. I actually did let it grow for a while when I was at college (one that was VERY liberal and arty), and no one ever said boo to me about it. If only all the world was like that! It was an interesting experiment. Again, my partner knows about it but it doesn't bother him.

Get a life, people. It's HAIR.

Yes to all of this, you tell 'em.

I'm from a Sikh family, and it is actually forbidden to remove any hair that grows on your body, be it your head hair or body hair. I'm not religious or baptised and don't adhere to this, but yeah, I'm from a culture that actively discourages the removal of hair, so a ladytasche is quite acceptable amongst my people, haha. Its pretty rare these days to find a society that hasn't fallen into the alopecia-from-the-neck-down trap.

It's a known fact we tend to have more body hair than some other races, and I'd love to know why evolution decided to skip over us in the 'hot climate, less hair' theme and make us suffer. 'Let's cover these people in hair and drop them in an incredibly hot, humid environment. Brilliant!'
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options

It's supposed to cut down on air/water drag, making the skin more aerodynamic.

I would love to time a professional swimmer shaved and unshaven and see if it really does make a difference.
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    jasonmh630 wrote: »

I see your point, but an individual's personal preference doesn't mean they should "get a life" because it doesn't line up with your personal preference.

I am talking about people who expect a woman to be completely hairless. If you want your own body to be hairless, knock yourself out. Applying that expectation to another person, especially if you do not shave yourself, most definitely still falls into "get a life".
  • TheZaxian
    TheZaxian Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    If you shave, then you can't do this:

Dyeing-Your-Armpit-Hair-Colors.jpg

Kinda late to the party but I think these look awesome lol. Makes the armpit hair look less scruffy and almost... stylish? :P
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I do wonder at all the people who associate a woman's body hair with body odor. You do realize that most women who don't shave still have far less body hair than most men...do you automatically assume that men with obvious body hair stink?

And for those who think bodyhair on a woman is gross...do you get rid of yours? Including you menfolk? Do you find your own armpit hair equally disgusting? Do you wax your legs, gentlemen?
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    jasonmh630 wrote: »

I am talking about people who expect a woman to be completely hairless. If you want your own body to be hairless, knock yourself out. Applying that expectation to another person, especially if you do not shave yourself, most definitely still falls into "get a life".

I still think you are being pretty judgmental.

What's wrong with having a personal preference? We apply preferences all the time to select mates - and friends even. That's human nature.

If I like to shave, that's my preference. If I'm dating someone who likes that I shave, that's his preference. If he doesn't want to date someone who doesn't shave because he isn't into it, that's his preference. If he doesn't care, that's his preference. And all of that is totally ok.

It doesn't mean he/she/whoever needs to get a life.

The only thing that is not ok is judging someone on their preference, or being rude because they are different from you and have different preferences in life.
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,296 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

I'm sure I'd lose the argument over which sex has it worse but I will say one thing that sucks about being a guy is there is no off limits subject. People will comment on your weight, hairline, and everything else openly. Try that on a woman and you're being a creep or shaming her in some way.
    For sure. I feel pressure to look a certain way physically is definitely more balanced between the genders compared to what it used to be.

• malavika413
    malavika413 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    inb4 "ur all just ugly feminists that can't get a man"
    I see the "cooking and staying quiet" comment has already been made. B)

I'll always remember in 8th grade, I had a friend named Faith who wouldn't shave or wear bras. She was bullied to no end. Hurts my heart to think about. Is this the kind of culture we want to create? Unaccepting, judgemental little *kitten* for children?

I think of Faith every time I skip shaving my legs nowadays.. It's saved me so much time and money just doing my armpits. The only reason I do my armpits is because I don't like the feeling of sweat and hair there together. It's cut way down on my morning routine!

5th grade, I was already a C cup, but my mother never thought to buy me a bra because I was only 10. Locker room was hell...all the girls called me names.

8th grade, forgot to shave my ankles before wearing jeans a little too short. Got called "yeti" for three weeks.

C'est la vie.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    In for hairy girls. Or shaved ones. Or anything in between as long as they are funny and interesting
  • funfang
    funfang Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    rosebette wrote: »
    My guilty secret -- I don't shave in the winter, I just wear slacks, black tights, or full leggings. My husband doesn't care. He prefers "fuzz" to stubble.

It's cold where I live. I find it more comfortable, and it takes less time to get ready to go to work or go out. Much as I love summer, I have to admit that not shaving in winter eliminates about 20 minutes of grooming time.

I am the same :p I only wax my legs during summer. I only have a few hairs on my armpits so I just use tweezers to pull them out, it only takes 3 minutes once a week... so I do that year around.

I think it's a personal choice, I don't care if they shave or not. I once was in this art class and the girl sit next to me had her armpit hair bread ( like 2 inches long ). No one seemed to mind.
  • swole_elsa
    Options

I'm sure I'd lose the argument over which sex has it worse but I will say one thing that sucks about being a guy is there is no off limits subject. People will comment on your weight, hairline, and everything else openly. Try that on a woman and you're being a creep or shaming her in some way.

I think it's inappropriate to comment on those things for either gender. Won't stop other people from doing it though, until we start making it a point to call it out and stop it. Society follows where the majority goes. It's the problem of making it the majority in the first place when everyone is very set in their already-established norms