For those who won't waste cals on chocolate...

Options

Replies

• jenn_ed
    jenn_ed Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    My personal favourite is Ritter Sport dark chocolate with marzipan. So yummy!
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Expensive and I have to order it online, but everything I've tried from Askinosie Chocolate. That Hazelnut spread is divine!

http://www.askinosie.com/
  • michsax14
    michsax14 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    omg I love those chuao potato chip bars!
    also I love dairy milk caramel popcorn chocolate bars, so freaking amazing!
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    Most chocolate tastes like sickly sweet candy to me now. I'm a chocoholic -- always have been (and yes I'm using that term tongue-in-cheek before anyone gets angry about the overuse of addiction terms) -- and I always make room for small amounts of good chocolate in my day's calories. But since I have so few calories to devote to chocolate these days, I find I can't abide by the idea of devoting them to subpar or sub-quality chocolate.

I have a local chocolate shop that stocks quality single-source chocolate from around the world, and hosts tasting events and such. I usually go there and try something new each time, and then eat it slowly -- 1 square at a time -- until it's gone before going out and buying something else. I don't mind spending $10 on a chocolate bar if it's going to last me 2 weeks.

Here are a few recent ones I've bought:

dong-nai-72-dark-chocolate-by-marou-chocolate-5878-p.jpg

Marou Dong Nai 72% dark chocolate (Vietnam) -- tastes honey-sweet and has a nice dry texture.

41n9oZkGs7L.jpg

Amma Chocolate Organico 85% (Brazil) - creamy texture and fruity taste.

fleurdesel-rs-182x300.jpg

Hummingbird Fleur de Sel 70% (Dominican Republic) - one of the few fleur de sel chocolates I've found that's dark, not milk, chocolate. Delicious fruity taste with that perfect sweet/salty combination.

That's just the most recent few. There are soooooo many good chocolate makers out there!

A chocoholic after my own heart! It baffles me how people can eat things like Hershey's and Dove which don't even tell you how much chocolate is in it.

What percentage is the cacao, Mr. Hershey?
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    A chocoholic after my own heart! It baffles me how people can eat things like Hershey's and Dove which don't even tell you how much chocolate is in it.

What percentage is the cacao, Mr. Hershey?

That's 'cause Hershey doesn't make chocolate. They make candy that just so happens to be brown.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Godiva's Open Oysters! (Yes, that is a hazelnut mousse filling! <3)

th?id=HN.608043588547841008&pid=1.7[img][/img]
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    11b6y6tm3wmm.png

My idea of heaven.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    Lindt! Lindt! Also Ferrero Rocher.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »
    11b6y6tm3wmm.png

My idea of heaven.

What is this. It looks like something I should be eating.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    All the pictures = Eye Candy
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    11b6y6tm3wmm.png

My idea of heaven.

What is this. It looks like something I should be eating.

Mozartkugeln. They're fantastic. Pistachio center, hazelnut and nougat, surrounded by almond marzipan and covered in a layer of dark (or milk, but I prefer dark) chocolate.
  • Sylvarose
    Sylvarose Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    For a treat (185 cal total) I'll take 16 Ghirardelli 60 % cacao dark chocolate chips--put them in a bowl, melt them in a microwave then slice up a banana into the melted chocolate. Yum! Very satisfying. Intense chocolate flavor from the melted chips and the sweet from the banana.
  • segacs
    Options
    Mozartkugeln. They're fantastic. Pistachio center, hazelnut and nougat, surrounded by almond marzipan and covered in a layer of dark (or milk, but I prefer dark) chocolate.

Mozart balls! Oh, how I miss those.
  • shartran
    shartran Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Camino by La Siembra Co-Operative (Ottawa, Canada) - Their 100 gram (3.5 oz) chocolate bar line-up includes three solid dark chocolate bars (a 55%, a 71% and an 80%) as well as flavoured dark chocolate bars like Espresso (my favourite), Coconut, Almond, Mint, Caramel Crunch and Raspberry. They also have a dark chocolate chia and a dark chocolate with ginger...yum!
  • maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Not sure if it counts as chocolate but Ferrero Raffaelo are amazing.
    Lindt balls esp the black ones
    But nothing beats a bag of cadbury buttons

Hershey tastes like soap. Its only just above that nasty *kitten* cheap easter egg chocolate

This threads given me pause to go looking for new ideas though
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Godiva's Open Oysters! (Yes, that is a hazelnut mousse filling! <3)

th?id=HN.608043588547841008&pid=1.7[img][/img]

This. 100x this.

Curious about that green layered chocolate too though.
  • segacs
    Options
    shartran wrote: »
    Camino by La Siembra Co-Operative (Ottawa, Canada) - Their 100 gram (3.5 oz) chocolate bar line-up includes three solid dark chocolate bars (a 55%, a 71% and an 80%) as well as flavoured dark chocolate bars like Espresso (my favourite), Coconut, Almond, Mint, Caramel Crunch and Raspberry. They also have a dark chocolate chia and a dark chocolate with ginger...yum!

Camino's espresso is my favourite flavour of theirs, too. Their hot chili flavoured one is good, too. And they make good hot cocoa powder.

Also, Galerie au Chocolat, based here in Montreal, makes good fair trade chocolate, and has a yummy espresso bar, too. Their sea salt bar is delicious also, though that's milk chocolate so I don't let myself indulge too often.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Camino Original Dark Drinking Chocolate. I will never drink Carnation hot chocolate again.
  • EMTFreakGirl
    EMTFreakGirl Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Chocolove organic/free trade dark. All the flavors!!! Current faves are Dark Chocolate Cherry-Almond and Dark Chocolate with Crystalized Ginger! YUM!
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Did anyone say...

E34BF66A-E7DC-436B-B3C8-D0616E1C810C_zpsmvlkgyiq.jpg

I keep this bag in my desk at work. I have one after lunch a few times/week....