What's your biggest weight loss / fitness pet peeve?

Options

Replies

• hikecampgal
    hikecampgal Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    When they post they want to "loose" weight.

yes, yes, yes!!!
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I hate the food police. And also people who look at you crazy when you say you woke up at 6am to make sure you got your workout in. And people who say, "you don't need to lose weight, I would love to be your size." Well I don't love it. And when people start to tell you to stop losing weight because you've lost too much. Well, my clothes, scale, measuring tape, and BMI chart are all telling me differently.

*I don't look at the BMI chart as the end all be all of health, but it would be nice to be in my range of what is considered healthy for my height. Even if it's the higher end of the range.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    People on a "diet" who thinks they should tell me every single morsel of food they consume!
  • abatonfan
    abatonfan Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    It annoys me to no end when NATIONAL RESTAURANT CHAINS do not have the nutrition information available in their restaurants or online. I do not care how you "strive to maintain quality ingredients, and nutrition information might change". Just because I am "dieting" does not mean that I want to stay home and cook all my meals. I also want to eat out (which I am doing a lot of -This is a lifestyle change, and I still can eat out and lose weight), and it will be greatly appreciated if you at least have the very basic nutritional information available so that I have a ballpark estimate of how much insulin I need to take. Otherwise, I'm not going to step foot into your business.

Similarly, if you don't have the nutritional information, don't BS it right in front of me. I had a waitress tell me that seven tortilla chips is 150 calories and must be 150g of carbohydrates (at the most, it should have been 38g of carbs). If you don't know, please just say that you don't know instead of pulling things out of thin air.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    when people ask for advice/help and either point out how it's wrong/ how they can't do that/ or just don't do it...
    and then complain...

They don't want advice/help, they want validation. I find this a lot with people at a plateau. Some people say they are stuck and one look at their diary shows why. Usually these people will take the advice that they need to fool their body by shaking up their exercise routine. It's like they don't want to take responsibility that they not doing what they need to do. It's easier to put the blame on an outside source.

That being said, I can't stand it when people give out advice without knowing what's really going on. Telling someone to shake things up isn't going to do any good if that person doesn't know how much they are really eating. Ask questions and get to the root of the problem. You aren't doing the OP any favors if the advice isn't directed toward the actual issue.
  • Opha30
    Opha30 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Using clothing sizes (for women) as a metric of health / fitness / self worth. I've had my mom say "Oh there's no way you're a size X" when yes, in that brand and style, I am. In other brands and styles I might be a different larger or small size, there's no standard sizing system for women in the U.S. and people have different body shapes - wear what you feel good in and what fits!
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Opha30 wrote: »
    Using clothing sizes (for women) as a metric of health / fitness / self worth. I've had my mom say "Oh there's no way you're a size X" when yes, in that brand and style, I am. In other brands and styles I might be a different larger or small size, there's no standard sizing system for women in the U.S. and people have different body shapes - wear what you feel good in and what fits!

I hate how arbitrarly sized women's clothing is in general. It makes it so hard to really know what size or how anything is going to fit. I wish it was standard like men's so we could just measure ourselves and know exactly what to buy. I don't know about which made up number I wear in each brand, I just want my clothing to be flattering to my figure.
  • Opha30
    Opha30 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    sheepotato wrote: »

I hate how arbitrarly sized women's clothing is in general. It makes it so hard to really know what size or how anything is going to fit. I wish it was standard like men's so we could just measure ourselves and know exactly what to buy. I don't know about which made up number I wear in each brand, I just want my clothing to be flattering to my figure.

It makes it so difficult to buy clothes online!

• jmoulder
    jmoulder Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My biggest pet peeve is supplements/ "healthy" shakes that really are processed powder. I hate getting this propaganda...especially from moms who are teaching their kids this is normal food.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    KnM0107 wrote: »

"I also hate when people who look thinnner than me tell me how horrible they look and that they need to lose weight because they are hideous. people dont even think about how thing like that are not only self depricating which is bad enough but also inulting to me, because if you look bad you are pretty much telling me i am even more hideous."

How someone feels about their own body has absolutely nothing to do with you...
    Anybody at any size can have body issues and being thinner doesn't make their feelings less important. You being bigger doesn't make your feelings more important.

I agree with this, but I also know that it's natural to assume that someone who thinks she's disgusting at 110 probably thinks it's more disgusting to be 200, even if she's way more judgmental of herself than she would be of anyone else. I've learned not to be bothered by people's expressions of body insecurity, but the real takeaway for me is to realize that others could be hurt by me going on negatively about my own body, so it's probably rude and a good thing to avoid.

It's also a good reminder not to do something that I think is unhelpful and negative, and to remind myself that I don't think that way about other people's bodies, so should not about mine. IMO, there often is a connection between how judgmental you are of yourself and the standards you apply to others, though.

I once had a friend who was slim and athletic say to myself and another overweight woman that she couldn't possibly go to the beach because she had gained five pounds and would be embarrassed to put on a bathing suit, people would think it was disgusting. I asked if she walked along the beach thinking that about other people and she said "Yes, of course!"

Perhaps what she meant was that she couldn't possibly go to the beach with us, but I still choose to believe she had some real issues.

• Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    When people comment on my food at work, whether it be positive or negative. During our Thanksgiving pitch in someone asked me in response to my heaping plate of food "does any of that fit into your diet"? Uh, no, because I'm not on a diet. Or "Oh your plate of food is so pretty, you always bring such healthy things to eat". OR "she won't eat that, little miss eat healthy all the time". Really?! Just leave me the f alone and let me eat.
  • AgentOrangeJuice
    AgentOrangeJuice Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    What do you mean you're clean eating? you mean my food isn't clean, your derogatory terminology is insulting to all the biochems I'm consuming for sustenance, BROSCIENCE YO
  • Old_Man_McGucket
    Old_Man_McGucket Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    The term "booty". I'm so sick of it.
  • amcook4
    amcook4 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    sheepotato wrote: »

Depending on the brand, I currently wear pants from size 16 - 22. I am wearing 16s today and yesterday was 22. It makes finding new clothing even more frustrating, I already have to figure out how to dress a smaller me!
  • pscarolina
    pscarolina Posts: 133 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    A pet peeve of mine is when an instructors of a group class act like you're going to die in their class because you're overweight. Little comments in front of everyone like "you'll need to do the modification", "you can sit this one out", "don't exert yourself too much". How about you let ME decide if I need to modify an exercise or if I need to take a break. I'm in your class weekly; stop embarrassing me in front of everyone.

On that note, I hate when an instructor berates you for modifying or sitting out. One particular instructor I had to explain to him that getting in my face and being a butt does not help.

Please do not go back to a class these instructors are teaching. That is not motivation. You are paying for the service. I feel so sad just reading this!

ETA: I offer modifications during class (low impact options, maybe some options for ab work if people have a weaker back), but I would NEVER direct it towards anyone in particular. I also offer more difficult options since I have some crazy fit women who love to push themselves. Feeling challenged & successful is the goal, not letting students leave feeling defeated. :(
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    when people ask for advice/help and either point out how it's wrong/ how they can't do that/ or just don't do it...
    and then complain...

this.

i have a problem for every solution and Im upset that you don't know me personally or well enough to give me me-specific advice and know the difference between when I am ranting and when I am asking for advice.

Geez.

Dont you know im special???

• yoovie
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Whenever someone says, "Oh that's too hard, I could never do that."

Truth because you're a @#$%^.

#thingsiwishicouldsayhere

• sdavies1984
    sdavies1984 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    The other day I was at the gym and this man was reading a magazine on the chest press machine for about 20 minutes. Who does that?
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options

"I also hate when people who look thinnner than me tell me how horrible they look and that they need to lose weight because they are hideous. people dont even think about how thing like that are not only self depricating which is bad enough but also inulting to me, because if you look bad you are pretty much telling me i am even more hideous."

Anybody at any size can have body issues and being thinner doesn't make their feelings less important. You being bigger doesn't make your feelings more important.

I agree with this, but I also know that it's natural to assume that someone who thinks she's disgusting at 110 probably thinks it's more disgusting to be 200, even if she's way more judgmental of herself than she would be of anyone else. I've learned not to be bothered by people's expressions of body insecurity, but the real takeaway for me is to realize that others could be hurt by me going on negatively about my own body, so it's probably rude and a good thing to avoid.

It's also a good reminder not to do something that I think is unhelpful and negative, and to remind myself that I don't think that way about other people's bodies, so should not about mine. IMO, there often is a connection between how judgmental you are of yourself and the standards you apply to others, though.

I once had a friend who was slim and athletic say to myself and another overweight woman that she couldn't possibly go to the beach because she had gained five pounds and would be embarrassed to put on a bathing suit, people would think it was disgusting. I asked if she walked along the beach thinking that about other people and she said "Yes, of course!"

Perhaps what she meant was that she couldn't possibly go to the beach with us, but I still choose to believe she had some real issues.

True. And I have female relatives who make statements like that about themselves as a way to shame others. So when someone says that about themselves, I've been hard-wired to think it's a passive-aggressive slight. Whether you mean it that way or not, I assume you're negging me.

As to the mens sizing, let me assure you that a size 32"32" does not mean the same thing from brand to brand. Vanity sizing is alive and well in the mens department too.
  • yoovie
    edited December 2014
    Options

True. And I have female relatives who make statements like that about themselves as a way to shame others. So when someone says that about themselves, I've been hard-wired to think it's a passive-aggressive slight. Whether you mean it that way or not, I assume you're negging me.

As to the mens sizing, let me assure you that a size 32"32" does not mean the same thing from brand to brand. Vanity sizing is alive and well in the mens department too.

When I say that I feel like the ugliest, fattest most unattractive hambeast on the beach - i don't consider others who may weigh more than me to be worse. I don't even think about them.

IM the worst. because im the one that has to live in my body. The only thing I really notice on other people is - ooh that pattern is cute, or I wish I could wear that kind of suit, or I wonder if I could get away with that yet. The only time I judge someone's appearance is when they are immodest by my standards and it's not like I'd tell them lol. Other than this, I am too distracted by my own imperfections.

I dont judge others harder than i judge myself. Im a pushover when it comes to other people. The criticizing voice in my head is a skinny shrew-like, bony fingered, bible thumping, cold souled apparition of my mother. And she doesn't know anyone else on that beach lol!