What's your biggest weight loss / fitness pet peeve?

Options

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    FYI - some of us don't get 'random' hunger pangs because we ate a cheeseburger, pizza, or chocolate bar. That's how :wink:

You know what gives me constant hunger pangs? Salad, unless it's got blue cheese and meat on it. Fish. Unless it's in sushi - the rice seems to help.

Oh, and in the spirit of the thread: Kind of irritating that people assume that eating cheeseburgers, pizza and chocolate bars automatically means you'll be hungry and eating 'healthy' (whatever their definition is) will keep you full.

THIS!!!!!- cuz I'm catching up on this thread eating pizza and just had a big as* chocolate brownie; guess what? I'm full! My pizza has banana peppers on it, guess it must be clean!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    levitateme wrote: »
    BFDeal wrote: »
    Another one is inconsistent advice. On one thread you'll see Mr. Sixpack say how hard it is to get a 6 pack and how the body holds on to vital stores and how it takes crazy discipline to achieve such an amazing result. On another thread Mr. Sixpack will slam people who can't lose weight. "It's so easy! Just eat at a deficit you moron!!!" So which is it? Also, I'm convinced some of these really lean people are flat out lying about their deficits. They will swear up and down right and left you don't have to starve yourself. Yet for the life of me, at 226lbs eating 2200 calories a day my weight loss flat out stalled. Nothing. Zero. In public all I got was, "Uhhh you're not weighing your food (I do)" or "Take a diet break." One guy had the courage to email me with what's actually probably true. He said he had to slash his calories to like 1800 a day.

At ~150 I was maintaining on 2200, so I don't know what to tell you. People can really only give advice based on their own experience and metabolisms vary, activity levels vary, accuracy of calorie calculations vary, et al. I don't think people are just trying to be jerkfaces, or "hard" in front of the forums, like you're implying.

I doubt most of them are lying. However, a lower %BF means you get to eat more calories at the same weight to maintain. So don't compare yourself to the guys. They are usually significantly leaner than we are.

And Mr. Sixpack is right - the leaner you are, the harder it is to lose, in the sense it takes a hell of a lot longer to drop the same amount of weight, and you don't have much room for error. You have to maintain a small deficit (not much leeway to drop calories unless you exercise a lot) for a long while.

I'll use myself as an example, because my diary's open and you can see how much I eat if you want. I'm 5'3", ~117 lbs, 20-22% BF. I eat almost 1900 calories and lose about a lb / mo.

The only way I can do that is by lifting 3x per wk (just this week changed to 2x) and by running a lot.

If I were to stop the exercise, I'd maintain on ~1600 calories.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    amcook4 wrote: »
    People who don't know lane ettiquette in a lap swimming situation.

YES! I once had 3 college kids jump in my lane, and then they all started swimming at me, and then goofing off, etc. There were no other lanes open so I ended up using the kick board the whole time, since it was the only way I could avoid a collision. The lifeguard didn't handle it well and apologized afterward since they basically went against all lap swimming rules (in a lap pool during open lap swimming)

This is part of the reason I haven't added swimming in to my exercise yet - I know there's etiquette rules to using my gym's pool, but they're not posted anywhere and I'd hate to be the *kitten* getting in everyone's way. One of these days I'll remember to ask.

For the most part, lap swimming rules are "do your own thing & don't get in the way of others" If there is an open lane, great, take it. Once the lanes are filled with singles, start partnering up, it is good etiquette to ask someone before jumping into their lane, mainly so they know you are there. At that point the two people sharing a lane basically split the lane in half, I get my side, you get your side (unless you really want to circle swim). If all lanes are doubled up, then circle swimming starts, thankfully I've never had to do this (I'm way to slow for it) but think of each lane with a really oblong circle in it, and you just keep swimming that circle. At least this is what my pool is like, which is in a University rec center.

It works like that at my pool too (we never have had to go to circle swimming). Generally the slow swimmers/kickboard users try to partner up in the same lanes and let the faster swimmers partner up so people in the same lanes are likely to be going at a similar speed.

• sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    earlnabby wrote: »
    People who don't know lane ettiquette in a lap swimming situation.

YES! I once had 3 college kids jump in my lane, and then they all started swimming at me, and then goofing off, etc. There were no other lanes open so I ended up using the kick board the whole time, since it was the only way I could avoid a collision. The lifeguard didn't handle it well and apologized afterward since they basically went against all lap swimming rules (in a lap pool during open lap swimming)

This is part of the reason I haven't added swimming in to my exercise yet - I know there's etiquette rules to using my gym's pool, but they're not posted anywhere and I'd hate to be the *kitten* getting in everyone's way. One of these days I'll remember to ask.

For the most part, lap swimming rules are "do your own thing & don't get in the way of others" If there is an open lane, great, take it. Once the lanes are filled with singles, start partnering up, it is good etiquette to ask someone before jumping into their lane, mainly so they know you are there. At that point the two people sharing a lane basically split the lane in half, I get my side, you get your side (unless you really want to circle swim). If all lanes are doubled up, then circle swimming starts, thankfully I've never had to do this (I'm way to slow for it) but think of each lane with a really oblong circle in it, and you just keep swimming that circle. At least this is what my pool is like, which is in a University rec center.

It works like that at my pool too (we never have had to go to circle swimming). Generally the slow swimmers/kickboard users try to partner up in the same lanes and let the faster swimmers partner up so people in the same lanes are likely to be going at a similar speed.

I wish people would do things that make sense like that at my gym's pool, but they don't. There are a few older men that come at night and usually just sit in the hot tub. Sometimes they will get in a lane and slowly walk up and down, or kids will play with the basketball hoop in one of the lanes. I don't care if people use the lap pool for other things if it's not busy but it's frustrating when they take the last available lane for things like that. I wish they would use the warm pool for water walking when the lap pool is busy. I am a slower swimming because I'm mostly swimming breaststroke so I don't like to share a lane with the really fit people who tend to swim mostly freestyle. I don't mind sharing my lane with other slower swimmers. I gave up and started only going to the gym 1.5 hours before the pool closes and I always go on weekends because it's pretty dead then. Just before they close is the only time of the day they don't have lanes reserved for classes. I have to skip Tuesdays and Thursdays too because they have several lanes for kayaking. I've noticed that more people have been swimming lately since it's getting colder, I wonder what the pool will be like during Christmas break/New Year's rush.

I would really like to find a time during the day I could go so I didn't have to eat dinner so late at night.
  • nespinosa3
    Options
    People who, after knowing I was able to lose the weight:
    1- Get upset because I don't go on an eating binge since "now I'm done"
    2- Think that they still need to watch over what I eat and let me know when I'm eating too much because "oh be careful! you'll gain it all back!".....trust me, I KNOW what I'm eating, how is that no-weight-loss going for you? :)
  • nespinosa3
    Options
    How about the people who say you should stop losing weight or your are getting too skinny. Especially in my case when I am still right on the border of normal/overweight on the BMI charts for my height and weight.

+1....I had one person tell me that my face used to be cuter because I had bigger cheeks and now it doesn't....and I am still like 3 pounds away from being "overweight" for my health (although I don't care about those charts so much)
  • robinsvitakjones
    robinsvitakjones Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    This was years ago, but it always stuck in my mind. .... I was young and in the tightest shape of my life, after having my first son. 21 yrs old, 5'8 and probably around 115 lbs. My mother (who is 6'0 and probably over 300 lbs) was over to visit from out of state. I was laying on the floor, doing my ab exercises. She was sitting on the couch behind me watching tv, and she started to comment to me how I was "doing the exercises wrong". ......REALLY??? You're 300+ lbs, sitting on the couch doing nothing behind me and you're telling ME how to exercise correctly???
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I will always answer this question the same - my pet peeve is blaming kids/babies/pregnancy for weight. Then on the same lines blaming kids/babies for not making time to exercise.
  • robinsvitakjones
    robinsvitakjones Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Jennloella wrote: »
    I will always answer this question the same - my pet peeve is blaming kids/babies/pregnancy for weight. Then on the same lines blaming kids/babies for not making time to exercise.
    Haha! I agree! The same mother who told me "how I was exercising wrong" (above ^^^^) is on here. (does not log in, ever) Her profile states how she needs to lose the weight after having kids. Ummmm...... I'm her youngest..... And I'm 41 years old. It's NOT baby weight anymore!!!! Lmao.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    hah nope, that's her's now!
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    sheepotato wrote: »
    I am a slower swimming because I'm mostly swimming breaststroke so I don't like to share a lane with the really fit people who tend to swim mostly freestyle.

FWIW, freestyle is more technique than fitness. I swim mostly freestyle and I weigh close to 250 lbs. Not really fit.

That said, when splitting a lane, it doesn't matter much who is faster or slower, and I never mind sharing with people who just manage to share a lane without crashing.

(The really fit perception is funny as hell. At my pool, there's this marathon runner rehabbing a serious foot injury and cannot BELIEVE that I can swim faster than he can. I told him I was not a freak of nature. It's almost entirely technique and practice)
  • aprilflower18232
    aprilflower18232 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Most people assume I have had weight loss surgery because I have lost over 160 pounds. I would never criticize someone who had surgery. But that is their journey and I have mine. It's almost like people don't believe me I did it in my own. Also, people assuming I starve myself or are sick is another huge one.
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    I am a slower swimming because I'm mostly swimming breaststroke so I don't like to share a lane with the really fit people who tend to swim mostly freestyle.

FWIW, freestyle is more technique than fitness. I swim mostly freestyle and I weigh close to 250 lbs. Not really fit.

That said, when splitting a lane, it doesn't matter much who is faster or slower, and I never mind sharing with people who just manage to share a lane without crashing.

(The really fit perception is funny as hell. At my pool, there's this marathon runner rehabbing a serious foot injury and cannot BELIEVE that I can swim faster than he can. I told him I was not a freak of nature. It's almost entirely technique and practice)

This is why I will go play in the kiddie pool before splitting lanes. I have no technique. I flail around until I get to the other end of the pool. I have been known to backstroke in circles (I seem to have straightened out a little). As I told my husband, I just burn twice as many calories getting to the other end as anybody else :p

My pet peeve isn't other people. It is how focusing so much on nutrition and fitness actually makes me feel worse about my body than when I am gorging on fast food. I have lost 15 pounds and 2 inches off my waist in 5 weeks, and my clothes are definitely looser, but I swear my belly sticks out more. No joke, the dress I am wearing today looks worse than when I bought it 15 lbs. ago. Then, it fit in such a way to make me look pregnant. Now I look like a fat lady with a sack on.
  • sheepotato
    edited December 2014
    Options

I don't swim freestyle at the moment because the baby throws off my balance and I found it harder to come up for a breath so I just stick to breaststroke and backstroke while pregnant. I didn't mean they were more fit because they swim freestyle. I meant they are more fit and they swim freestyle just an inherently faster stroke. I swim to relax and stretch myself out because I get pretty compressed and sore, I do get some benefit from it but I usually try to keep my heart range 130-160 so it takes me several seconds longer per lap than most of the in shape men that frequent my gym. It's not a perception, I just go slower swimming the slower stroke.

I wouldn't mind if they would just overtake me and pass instead of swimming right at my heels.
  • sheepotato
    Options

This is why I will go play in the kiddie pool before splitting lanes. I have no technique. I flail around until I get to the other end of the pool. I have been known to backstroke in circles (I seem to have straightened out a little). As I told my husband, I just burn twice as many calories getting to the other end as anybody else :p

I do wait in the warm pool for an open lane if there's enough time, if there's less than an hour until the pool closes I have to either share a lane or cut my session short for the night.

:D

• kelleybean1
    kelleybean1 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Guys who hog the squat rack in the gym. Drives me nuts!
  • scupit
    scupit Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Biggest on for me is women thinking they will bulk up like a man if they do any strength training. Strength training is sooooo important to do!!

I totally agree with this. Ahhhhhh! This irritates me to no end! When I was at my most muscular...many years ago;) I was no where near bulky! I was 142 pounds at 5ft8in and a size 4 with 15 % body fat. And I lifted heavy...at least heavy for me. The simple fact is, the more muscle you add to your body, the more calories your body will burn throughout the day. Simple as that.

• GrammyPeachy
    GrammyPeachy Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    People in my family saying they want to do what I'm doing but can't afford it. I try to tell them I eat very cheaply, especially compared to eating out and buying lots of stuff I don't need. If I detail some of my meals and daily eating, they kind of zone out. Then still end by saying they will try when they can afford it! Whatever!
  • soultrouble
    soultrouble Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Lets see
    1. You will gain weight if you eat before bed. It doesn't matter how low your calorie intake was for the rest of the day, eating before bed is like instant weight gain. :noway: I frequently eat before bed, because if I didn't I would be too far under my calorie goal for the day.
    2. It's impossible for women in our family to lose weight. :noway: Ok. Well I've lost 96lbs mom and it hasn't been near as difficult as I thought it would be. Wait, does that mean I'm not part of this family.smiley-shocked015.gif
    3. The calories in cheesecake. :sad: I really have to be careful with my calories if I want to have a slice of cheesecake.
    4. The automatic assumption that if your counting calories/losing weight you must be eating 1200 calories. While for some people 1200 might be the right amount of calories, it's not a one size fits all. My monthly averages are generally in the 1750-2000 range and I lose weight just fine. I'm average in height (5'4.5"), my BMI is now around 27.5, and yet I'm still losing over 1lb per week. My mom keeps telling me to eat closer to 1200. My grandmother thinks 900 is better. I have friends who hear "counting calories" and automatically assume that means only eating 1200 calories and no pizza, chocolate or anything else yummy. I'm sure I'd be pretty hangry in any of these scenarios.hungry-2.gif

...I'm sorry you had to find out this way that you were adopted lol :)
  • fattymcrunnerpants
    fattymcrunnerpants Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    people thinking they know better for my body than I do (outside of my medical team)

Thinking chronic illness/ pain is an excuse

Oh and the "that's impossible" crew who truly believe that they are 100% right 100% of the time