How long does the New Year rush for the gym last?

Options

Replies

• Lalalindaloo
    Lalalindaloo Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    I think I'm going to join a gym on Jan 1st just to piss you all off.

+1 lol

I think I will rejoin the gym on January 2nd and use 3 weight benches for my towels and water bottles, drop the weights, not put anything back, sweat all over everything and not wipe 'em down, groan loudly while lifting little weights, throw in an occasional grunt or yell for good measure, wear special weight belts and gloves to look cool, grimace always, adjust everything to ridiculous extremes and not adjust it back, have long conversations while sitting on equipment when there is a line waiting to use it, and start lifting as soon as I make eye contact with someone that notices me.

I think that about covers it.

Don't forget to spread your street clothes out in the locker room on all of the benches and floor everywhere... and then leave it there for the duration of your workout.

oh, and when you take a shower, come out, and flop your junk around while talking to others at an uncomfortably close distance.

Had a conversation about this not long ago. A friend was telling me about a guy at his gym who will blow dry himself while having conversations with everyone coming/going from the locker room. The image still makes me crack up every time I picture it. Even more because I can totally imagine my friend's total discomfort with that scene.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    jdhcm2006 wrote: »
    I'm a little concerned about the rush at the place I take spin classes. They told me it gets packed in January and it's hard to get a bike. I just started to go to spin classes and they're were about 5-6 people in my evening class. So hopefully, I'll be able to get there early enough to claim a bike, but I go after work, so rush hour traffic can make that a little difficult. We shall see I guess.

That is how it is at my gym as well. It may take a month for it to settle down. So in the meantime if you don't get a bike grab a cardio machine and do your own thing. It's good to mix it up sometimes :)

Thanks!
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »
    are they newbies?
    just because you haven't witnessed their struggles?
    People who get pissed about people making a positive change make me sick.

You're doing it wrong - this is supposed to be a funny thread. You're supposed to be funny. C'mon!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    are they newbies?

You're doing it wrong - this is supposed to be a funny thread. You're supposed to be funny. C'mon!

that was like 4 days and 7 pages ago................

that was random, creepy and odd as hell.

• gshifrin
    gshifrin Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Some good reminders here. My resolution this year will be to try to be pleasant with the newbies instead of having my usual scowl.

BTW, it's actually the gym rats I see every day who are mostly there to socialize that bug me.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

+1 lol

I think I will rejoin the gym on January 2nd and use 3 weight benches for my towels and water bottles, drop the weights, not put anything back, sweat all over everything and not wipe 'em down, groan loudly while lifting little weights, throw in an occasional grunt or yell for good measure, wear special weight belts and gloves to look cool, grimace always, adjust everything to ridiculous extremes and not adjust it back, have long conversations while sitting on equipment when there is a line waiting to use it, and start lifting as soon as I make eye contact with someone that notices me.

Don't forget to spread your street clothes out in the locker room on all of the benches and floor everywhere... and then leave it there for the duration of your workout.

oh, and when you take a shower, come out, and flop your junk around while talking to others at an uncomfortably close distance.

Had a conversation about this not long ago. A friend was telling me about a guy at his gym who will blow dry himself while having conversations with everyone coming/going from the locker room. The image still makes me crack up every time I picture it. Even more because I can totally imagine my friend's total discomfort with that scene.

I would screw with that guy. Act like I am constantly looking at his junk, and that he catches me, so I quickly bring my eye level up to his.

You know, like when I'm really checking a gal out and she catches me. lol.

Then I'd give him my number and ask for pics. Then leave. I have a feeling he'd stop that.
  • Lalalindaloo
    Lalalindaloo Posts: 204 Member
    Options

Then I'd give him my number and ask for pics. Then leave. I have a feeling he'd stop that.

I'll have to suggest that to my friend....
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I notice it calm down about mid february.
  • kk1084
    kk1084 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I feel like it's usually around Valentine's Day... Generally, I think the NYResolutioners either find a sweetheart and figure, "screw it, I'm done!" or they don't find a sweetheart and figure, "screw it, I'm done!"

I used to HATE it when the Resolutioners showed up for their month and a half of working out... I know it sounds terrible, but it was just so annoying... For the past year and a half, I have been waking up at 4:30 to go to the gym before work and it SUCKS while I'm doing it, BUT it's great when I'm done AND I don't tend to have to deal with a lot of resolutioners that early ;) THAT is love.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options

+1 lol

I would screw with that guy. Act like I am constantly looking at his junk, and that he catches me, so I quickly bring my eye level up to his.

Unless he likes dudes?

• MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    are they newbies?

Oh look, it's the "oh my gosh, you're so creeeeepy" girls again

• MelodyandBarbells
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    SPeffer1 wrote: »
    I can see why suddenly having to wait for machines is annoying, but other than that I'm not sure why people care that new faces are joining. And I'll agree with those that said - starting in December or January doesn't necessarily mean you will quit. So many good reasons have been posted already.

For me - in the spring, summer, and fall - I prefer to run outside. Running on the treadmill kind of makes me want to punch someone. So I am not always at the gym as much during warm seasons. Particularly now when it's "dark o clock" when I leave the house and return, and I don't like running in the dark by myself.

I will unfortunately be one of those "newbies" at a new gym staring in January, b/c my YMCA membership runs out in December. And that's because I left one gym that only has equipment and no classes or pool late last year because I was having neck/spine surgery and knew I was going to be doing more swimming and lower impact activities. But thankfully that's behind me, and I prefer to pay less, so I'll be switching back.

I'm sure some there will judge me for showing up in January, despite me being in as good/better shape than a lot of them (so obviously not only doing this as a New Years Resolution), but thankfully I go to the gym to get what I need to get done as quickly as possible, and I leave. So I doubt I will be highly bothered by those who feel the need to judge.

You're right, but statistics show that most will. That's all we're discussing here. A thing...something that happens every year.

No one is judging, no one has said "stupid people that come at the beginning of January". OP asked a question about a real thing....the New Year's rush. If some construed that as negative, discouraging, or judgment, I guess that's on them. For me, it's a legit question about a standard occourance that happens every year.

What percentage of people signing up over comparable periods throughout the rest of the year are actually in it for the long haul?

Don't know, and really not interested. It could be more, it could be less. But people don't come in droves as they do at New Year's. I'm not saying it's bad, but it is a thing that no one can argue doesn't happen.
    If the percentage is even less, then that makes the whole post New Year dwindle down somewhat unremarkable. It's quite possible that the ratio is similar, and that the increased number of people joining during the new year rush = more people sticking around overall

Quite possible, but the rush brings in much higher numbers and dwindles by higher numbers.....every year, making it far more noticeable, does it not?
    Also consider that sometimes a perfectly committed person may try the gym using their awesome new year deals and decide they just do not like that particular gym

So adding to the rush then, correct?

I'm commenting on an actual thing that happens every year. The gym fills up for a few weeks, the gym empties out. I'm not saying, and never have even though people want to take it that way, that these people need to leave, shouldn't be there, and that I don't want them there.

OP asked a legit question about something that happens at almost every gym the same time every year. Your final quote pretty much indicates why the new year's rush is an actual thing.

It doesn't matter the individuals intentions, it's "black Friday" for the gym.

I don't understand, Mr. Moderator. Are we just supposed to talk about the "actual thing" without any additional context whatsoever?
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    levitateme wrote: »
    I wonder if people will eventually start getting in trouble for flagging without any real cause. It has to be a pain for the mods to sift through all the unwarranted flags.

Supposedly they are going to start looking into that soon. Supposedly.
    lol, doubtful.

I'm on track for 300 abuse and 100 spam this week.

Guess my brand of doesn't mince words doesn't mix well with the sunday lifters. lol.
    But none of it really matters as it's not real unless it's from the Mods... Just consider yourself popular... no one can say you're invisible if they are flagging you. :)

The whole flagging thing seems to have become a passive aggresive game to some.

Though I do love the way it works quickly for the 'mass spammers' when using the spam flag and 5 ppl actually use the correct flag.;) The spam is gone like magic then.

I agree.

I've picked up 40 flags today alone. Dem fans!!!
    See! There ya go :mrgreen:

Yeah, the whole flagging system rewards anonymous passive agressiveness. It's silly. I was using it as a "like" button, until there were quietly spoken myths about people being suspended from posting due to it.

It's just a bad system implemented poorly.

I only flag bot spam. I never flag anything else. People can say what they want to me on the internet...
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options

+1 lol

Unless he likes dudes?

I'm a top, so he'd know the hankerchief.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    are they newbies?

Oh look, it's the "oh my gosh, you're so creeeeepy" girls again

wth?

why are you buzzing at me?

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    SPeffer1 wrote: »
    I can see why suddenly having to wait for machines is annoying, but other than that I'm not sure why people care that new faces are joining. And I'll agree with those that said - starting in December or January doesn't necessarily mean you will quit. So many good reasons have been posted already.

For me - in the spring, summer, and fall - I prefer to run outside. Running on the treadmill kind of makes me want to punch someone. So I am not always at the gym as much during warm seasons. Particularly now when it's "dark o clock" when I leave the house and return, and I don't like running in the dark by myself.

I will unfortunately be one of those "newbies" at a new gym staring in January, b/c my YMCA membership runs out in December. And that's because I left one gym that only has equipment and no classes or pool late last year because I was having neck/spine surgery and knew I was going to be doing more swimming and lower impact activities. But thankfully that's behind me, and I prefer to pay less, so I'll be switching back.

I'm sure some there will judge me for showing up in January, despite me being in as good/better shape than a lot of them (so obviously not only doing this as a New Years Resolution), but thankfully I go to the gym to get what I need to get done as quickly as possible, and I leave. So I doubt I will be highly bothered by those who feel the need to judge.

You're right, but statistics show that most will. That's all we're discussing here. A thing...something that happens every year.

No one is judging, no one has said "stupid people that come at the beginning of January". OP asked a question about a real thing....the New Year's rush. If some construed that as negative, discouraging, or judgment, I guess that's on them. For me, it's a legit question about a standard occourance that happens every year.

What percentage of people signing up over comparable periods throughout the rest of the year are actually in it for the long haul?

Don't know, and really not interested. It could be more, it could be less. But people don't come in droves as they do at New Year's. I'm not saying it's bad, but it is a thing that no one can argue doesn't happen.
    If the percentage is even less, then that makes the whole post New Year dwindle down somewhat unremarkable. It's quite possible that the ratio is similar, and that the increased number of people joining during the new year rush = more people sticking around overall

Quite possible, but the rush brings in much higher numbers and dwindles by higher numbers.....every year, making it far more noticeable, does it not?
    Also consider that sometimes a perfectly committed person may try the gym using their awesome new year deals and decide they just do not like that particular gym

So adding to the rush then, correct?

I'm commenting on an actual thing that happens every year. The gym fills up for a few weeks, the gym empties out. I'm not saying, and never have even though people want to take it that way, that these people need to leave, shouldn't be there, and that I don't want them there.

OP asked a legit question about something that happens at almost every gym the same time every year. Your final quote pretty much indicates why the new year's rush is an actual thing.

It doesn't matter the individuals intentions, it's "black Friday" for the gym.

I don't understand, Mr. Moderator. Are we just supposed to talk about the "actual thing" without any additional context whatsoever?

I don't understand your level of sarcasm...but I digress.

Do most gyms get visibly busier at new years? Yes. Do they get visibly quieter by anywhere from Mid Jan to late Feb...Yep.

Do others probably sign up at different points of the year..yep. Do they fall out at the same rate IDK. Why, because the difference isn't visibly noticeable.

Are you saying that the rush doesn't exist?

I still stand by my opinion, and why I truthfully answered....OP asked a totally legit question about a phenomena that happens at nearly every gym at the new year....nothing more, nothing less. Others are adding more to it, I guess that's their deal.

Actually, OP, you're totally messed, it's all in your head. There aren't actually more people in the gym, and most of them aren't leaving...it was all a dream.

Everyone happy now?
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    I religiously with commitment go to gym only from end of Nov through end of Feb because rest of the year I run outside. I only go twice a week from spring through fall.

Now that I read this post I'm thinking maybe regular members at my gym see me as a New Year's Resolution person but actually I'm not.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    i use 9 different gyms and vary my days and times massivly between those gyms, im always viewed as a noob despite doing this for 3 years lol

You must be rich. If I was a boy and you were available I would have asked you out ;)<3
  • Jlmervin03
    Jlmervin03 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I guess I was the "1 in 15" that actually stayed. I joined my gym in Jan to get the free registration fee 2 years ago, and I'm still there! However, my friends who joined with me were long gone by March.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    runner475 wrote: »
    I religiously with commitment go to gym only from end of Nov through end of Feb because rest of the year I run outside. I only go twice a week from spring through fall.

Now that I read this post I'm thinking maybe regular members at my gym see me as a New Year's Resolution person but actually I'm not.

I don't think most of us actually are judging anyone or seeing a particular person in a certain way. Those of us who dread the rush are just dreading the congestion and having to wait for things and the other gym annoyances that crowds bring. I have never looked at someone and made a determination as to when they came or what the intentions are. I just get irritated when I can't go about my workout like I want to, when classes are over-packed and I can't do yoga poses for lack of room, when people are bumping me on the indoor track to pass me. I hate people in my personal space, its not a matter of who you are, when you started, or anything about you really. It's the reality of the situation that there are exponentially more people in there, and that leads to any number of annoyances. Not the people, not their goals or anything personal about them. I just hate being packed in, anywhere!