Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    SUNDAY SHARE: : My real name is Ellen, but I am very comfy with Robin. I'm in my mid-60's and live in Omaha, NE. I'm divorced, no kids, few relatives, and very happy living on my own. Retired due to multiple health problems - several forms of arthritis, and I have anxiety attacks over just about anything, due to PTSD. Still coming to grips with the cause of that.

I live in a 2nd floor condo with a balcony and am so happy because the building has its own small pool. Yes, Santa did bring me a COVER-UP so I can walk modestly to the pool and back now.

Right now, I'm getting lots of pleasure over my Christmas tree and other decorations!

I'm a non-denominational person.But I firmly believe in using the word "Christmas" when you have a tree up instead of "Holiday" (blech). I hate the trend to get rid of the "C" word....

I also hate the trend that got rid of saying "The Pledge of Allegience to the Flag" at public schools......(whoops, got up on a soapbox for a moment...stepping down....)

Bought a few more ornaments just yesterday. Darn these temptations - why does a person go out shopping for other people and come home with stuff for themselves???? I also bought: tennis shoes, curtains for my den, a new cake pan and cooling rack for my baking efforts, and a great buy on a sherpa and velvety throw for the living room. I really went overboard!
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Hi guys!
    Just caught up on reading posts and it looks like everyone is pretty busy getting ready for the holidays.

Sunday Share:
    I'm also really busy this week with meetings and such--final push before winter break. I will try to keep up with all of you guys, but I don't anticipate many personals until the weekend.

Yesterday was our holiday party for work. It was a lot of fun and I even managed to squeak in under my calorie goal. :smiley: Today I was very tired and ended up napping most of the afternoon. Sad that I didn't get any grading done, but I'm not going to stress about it.

December All-In:
    Under calorie goal: 13/14 days (goal is 28/31 days)
    Workout: 3/10 (goal is as much as possible)
    8k over Winter Break (not sure what day) in 56 minutes (Thanksgiving 8k was 56:49)

Grading Goals:
    1. 63/66 AP essays
    2.37/60 SL Tests
    3. x/66 Tone tests

Exercise Goals:
    Sun--rest day
    Mon--meeting
    Tues--meeting
    Wed--walk gunner+ gym
    Thurs--meeting
    Fri--rest day
    Sat--walk gunner + gym
  • mountmary84
    mountmary84 Posts: 259 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    @ Robin~you made me laugh about the cookies. If you don't like bananas I guess you don't have to fear getting into them! I haven't baked in a while either, but I would never do laundry instead, NEVER!

@ Everyone~There is so much going on in all your lives right now. I think it is really a stressful time for all of us. I wish you all the best in your endeavors....just can't handle personals on them all just now.

AFM: Been a busy week (as if I am unique!!) I have been under on calories all days, but today...it is Sunday of course and I messed up again. Too much breakfast, then a little too much lunch, didn't leave much for dinner. What else is new?

Thanks everyone for being here. I follow you all faithfully, even if I am quiet. It is so inspirational.

Barbara
  • lleecc
    lleecc Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    All In December Week 2:
    5/7 at or under calorie goal- check!
    5/7 days of 3 fruits-oops!

My All In December Week 3 goals:
    6/7 days at or under calorie goal
    7/7 days of only 1 cookie/brownie/sweet per day

Sunday Share...I teach early childhood special ed in Austin, TX. I am a big nerd-love to read, play hand bells, not at all athletic-yet I married a coach. Go figure!

Hope everyone has a great week! Enjoy all the lights and decorations!
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Well good evening everyone and thanks for all the Sunday Shares ... feels good to be in touch with you all.

I cannot report my numbers yet because I haven't gone to sleep yet ... and so I will most likely have a late snack sometime before I finally get tired enough to sleep ... but thus far my calories are low for the day and need to be pulled up a little.

The other day I reported that I was over calories for a couple of days and felt pretty bummed about it ... and then today I looked at it again ... and yes, I had gone over HOWEVER, my combined calories, when averaged out, were well within my goals ... tomorow moring will tell all as it is my check in day then.

Being Sunday, I did not work today, watched an old movie on TV, read the newspaper, and cooked my dinner. I'm trying to break my habit of eating take-out or restaurant food for both health and pocket-book reasons, so I added another checkmark to my 'attendance sheet'. The column that's still the lightest in marks is the one I am supposedly working on this month ... the housework.

Yes Robin/Ellen ... that was some really fine tasting chicken soup, even without dumplings in it. Next one I make will be lentil soup because I love that one probably the best of all.

Sleep tight everyone
    Niki
  • mountmary84
    Options
    @NIki~ I too love to make (and eat) homemade soup. I made a barley, black bean (because I didn't have red ones) and corn soup the other day seasoned with sage and bay. It was a new recipe and I loved it and will do it again. Was a little surprised at the calories that came in at 150/cup, but it was quite filling and nutritious. DH liked it so it didn't last too long. LOL

Tonight we have been crafting. I think I said we are making the gifts in our family this year. My husband is trying to make Moravian stars for our grandson for his tree as he wanted ornaments. He is having a modicum of success. I have been playing with my wire working making Christmas tree earrings. I am a real rooky here~

Time to clean up the craft mess and go to bed.

G'Night all.

Barbara
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I usually do very little on Sunday, aside from attending church. This morning they announced at church that a close neighbors' son had passed away early this morning. He had a number of health issues, but the heart attack was totally unexpected. When I got home from church, I baked a batch of rolls for them, and made a batch of cashew brittle.
    I have all of the caps and mittens done, so I won't be knitting while I pedal. I can't do it if I have to follow a written pattern. I have to be doing something that's pretty routine.
    By way of introduction, I am 70 years old, married for 49 years, and mother and grandmother of a large family. They keep me really busy. I began MFP in September, 2012. At 5' 1" and 265#, it was an essential change. I found Robin's Thread and my wonderful friends here soon after. It took about 18 months to lose 90-95#. I have been stuck at 170-175# since March. I try to look at what I have accomplished and not worry about what I still need to do. I have gone from size 24/26 and 2x to 12/14 and large. My bra size has gone from 44D to 36C, and my feet are no longer extra wide.
    There is still more to do. I'm not giving up!
    Onward and downward. Kaye
  • Rozie1019
    Options
    Just a quick check-in. My mom's surgery went well. When she woke up from it all she was telling the nurses how she was ready for her steak and shrimp. The night was sleepless mostly because both of us were uncomfortable. She was released Thursday afternoon. Her Dr. called and told her the nurses were telling her that my mom was doing great and was just really ready to get home so the Dr. said after she finished her last round of anti-biotics she could go and that she would see her at her next appointment and she didn't want to keep her waiting because the dr didn't do her rounds til the evening. Of course 10 minutes after that my mom was dressed and ready to go, around noon, but her last round of antibiotics wasn't until 2:30. The nurses loved my mom. She made all of them laugh and smile. The rest of the week and weekend was quite busy. I'll check-in again later to catch up.

Have a great day.
    Rozie
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone.

Happy Bill of Rights Day
    Bill of Rights Day is observed on December 15, 2014. The Bill of Rights is the collective name for the first ten amendments to the United States Constitution. Proposed to assuage the fears of Anti-Federalists who had opposed Constitutional ratification, these amendments guarantee a number of personal freedoms, limit the government's power in judicial and other proceedings, and reserve some powers to the states and the public.

The amendments were introduced by James Madison to the 1st United States Congress as a series of legislative articles. They were adopted by the House of Representatives on August 21, 1789, formally proposed by joint resolution of Congress on September 25, 1789, and came into effect as Constitutional Amendments on December 15, 1791, through the process of ratification by three-fourths of the states. The Bill of Rights had little judicial impact for the first 150 years of its existence, but was the basis for many Supreme Court decisions of the 20th and 21st centuries.

Wiki Bill of Rights

“No matter who you are, no matter what you do, you absolutely, positively do have the power to change.” ~Bill Phillips

Tom
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    @Tanya~Its so good to hear from you, I’m sorry you’re still struggling emotionally—I hope that everything levels off and you’re back to feeling like yourself soon.

@Ellen (Robin)~I :heart: to bake—I get requests for some of my stuff every year. My fudge is an absolute must for my dad (I don’t think they would let me in the house without it :wink: ). I’m sorry your cookies didn’t turn out like you hoped, they sure sound good. I don’t like bananas either, mostly a texture thing, but I do like them in things (sort of)—the trick is to use really ripe bananas and mash them really well when putting in breads or cookies (you could even use baby food for this). I make bran muffins periodically and instead of the oil it calls for sometimes I substitute a small jar of banana baby food—they turn out great, really moist. Do you like chocolate? Maybe instead of butterscotch chips, use chocolate (but use the minis, more will distribute through the cookie). You can always make those MFP recipes into your own, using ingredients that you enjoy--just alter it thru the recipe builder.

@Laurie~I’m sorry you had such a hard week; sometimes our bodies just really need a break (we just don’t know it). I hope this week is easier. I can empathize, I’m so stressed at work right now—too many projects and deadlines that I don’t know if I’m coming or going.

AFM~It was just a crazy weekend, that is all! I did have a session with my trainer both Saturday and Sunday—my legs know it too! :lol: Finally got Christmas taken care of for my nephews, need to figure out my parents and get that done this weekend. I’m going to make a cranberry bundt cake with orange glaze for my boss, so he’s taken care of too. Other than that a couple of small gifts for co-workers I’m close to.

I changed my profile pic to the snowman I found at Target on Saturday--just happened upon him, he's made from a sweater. He was too cute to pass up! So far Zoe is keeping her distance. :wink:

December “all-in” challenge:

Food: 12/14
    Exercise: 10/14

Exercise Goals this week:

Sunday~Trainer DONE!
    Monday~Dentist
    Tuesday~Trainer
    Wednesday~Chiro
    Thursday~Doctor’s appt (may have time for gym afterwards)
    Friday~Trainer
    Saturday~Shopping
  • jtconst
    jtconst Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Hi guys as usual at this time of year ya'll got away from me again :). Things Are going just fine out here in yucky mucky Washington. The hubby has been keeping me going just like he always does. I also caught a pretty bad cold last week but think I am on the tail end of it right now. My eating has been more good then bad so thats good I guess. Exercise was going along pretty good until the cold and a solid week of rain derailed me a little but got back out with the dogs yesterday. I am also trying to get back into my green smoothies. I kinda let them fall by the wayside for the last few months and the chronic pain issues were starting to flair back up. I gotta remember that this lifestyle change was about alot more then just losing weight for me. Well I hope you are all starting up a fabulous week this morning and I will try to check in a little more frequently.
  • grandmakaye44
    Options
    Warning TMI. I am really sick today. Can't keep anything down and have diarrhea besides. I just some peppermint and chamomile tea. I hope it works better than it smells right now.
    I need to get some candy ready to mail, but don't think I'll do that today. No point in mailing germs to people I love.
    The cranberry bundt cake sounds great.
  • maram29
    maram29 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone, I hope today has been kind to you.
    @ Robin/Ellen...thanks for your positive vibes...I love the idea of making cookies I don't like, so I wouldn't be tempted by them...but...it seems like there is no such animal. :blush:
    @ everyone who is struggling keeping their healthy goals alive through the season of temptations....keep the faith and remember to prioritize your health to an important position for your efforts. You are worth the effort.

As for me: wondering what healthy foods people turn to when they feel munchies coming on....what helps you, satisfies the urge to snack, but doesn't kill your numbers?

Take care. Rock your evening!
    Mara
  • cblue315
    cblue315 Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    Monday Check In - Howdy MFP Neighbors
    Back to the grind today. After a weekend of my all-carb, all-sodium, all-soda diet. Thought maybe I could make that work this time. >:) Not really. But I did take some time off my regimen and do not feel a bit of guilt about it. Went to spin class and then I ran 1.5 miles!!!!!!

@maram - my favorite muchie killers are: Hummus with sliced vegetables, sweet Freedom sugar free fudge bars, 100 calorie microwave kettle corn. All at or under 100 caloires.

@ Robin - Never met a cookie I would not eat. So that is not one I can try.

@ all the teachers - Count down is on!

December All-In Challenge
    Food 12/15, Fitness 12/15, Water 12/15 (All days off were planned)
    Lori
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Hi all ... my Monday check in arrived on time today.
    Monthly calorie counter is 12/14 (goal is 28/31) ... I didn't lose weight this week.

Today I wrapped presents that need to go in the mail ... it took me most of the day to do. But I did get done in time to make another small pot of chicken soup ... so that's the end of the chicken I roasted last week and this time I made that chicken with dumplings soup.
    That soup was a throw-back to my childhood when my mom would make it often, but I had to admit her dumplings were much finer than my own. Still, I enjoyed a big bowl of it for supper and have some left for lunch on the morrow, sans the dumplings.

As for the all-in .... well, maybe I'll make progress later on tonight when I clean up the mess I made in the kitchen cooking today. I'm trying very hard to NOT give in to the quick and easy of ordering restaurant food to be delivered and have cooked all my meals since the chinese food debacle a few days ago.

Good night ... and, like grandmakaye says .... "onward and downward".
    Niki

• mountmary84
    Options
    Hi everyone,

@Kaye Gosh, I am sorry to hear you are sick. Get well soon, really soon.

@Rozie Glad your mom did well. She sounds like a neat lady.

@Robin Sounds like you had fun shopping.

@Teachers Hang on.

@Mara I sometimes find when I really have the hungries that a ½ cup of cottage cheese slows me down. It is salty enough to sort of cover that, I sometimes put an herb blend from Penzey’s on it.

@Niki Good for you getting the wrapping done. Wanna do mine? Keep on with that cooking. It is so much tastier and better for you.

AFT: Did well today. Kept the calories down and was fairly active though I didn’t actually “exercise”.

December Challenge:

Calories under goal: 12/31
    Salad a day: 10/31
    Exercise: Dismal

Thanks every one of you for being here.
    Barbara
    Mountmary84
  • lleecc
    lleecc Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    @maram...love celery with a little bit of peanut butter.

@robin...at my school, we say the Pledge of Allegiance and Texas Pledge (yes we have a pledge!) every day. Even my little ones learn to put their hand over their heart!

@everone else...keep up the good work and be kind to yourself.
  • grandmakaye44
    Options
    I am exhausted. The tea stayed down. I've eaten a few crackers and a piece of cheese. I ate a little soup for dinner, but my stomach feels awful and I feel like I'm ready for a colonoscopy. It has messed up my all-in challenge. Needless to say, I'm way under calories, but not enough water, and I'm skipping the exercise tonight.
    Hope tomorrow is a better day.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

Home from our second bargaining meeting. We made some progress, but I can tell it's only going to get harder.

@robin--I believe in Happy Holidays throughout the season and Merry Christmas on the 24th and 25th. :smile: But I live in a pretty diverse metropolitan area, so I can't assume everyone I meet is Christian. Also, I don't know if IL has a state pledge, but we say the Pledge of Allegiance everyday in IL public schools--it's state law. It wasn't when I was in HS, so here it's actually trending in the opposite direction.

@kaye--feel better!

@all of you making soup--I saw a really yummy looking recipe for chicken tortellini soup on FB last night. I believe I will have to try that one over winter break.

Monday Check-in:
    Weight is still holding at the low end of my standard range. Pretty hopeful I will come out of the holidays at my low or possibly lower. I just need to get through this week and then I will have plenty of time for exercise and healthy cooking.

Grading is going okay. Almost done with the SL tests--hope to hand those back tomorrow.

Meeting tomorrow should be a short one, so time for either the gym or a grading stint at starbucks--will depend upon how I'm feeling afterwards. If I don't make it to the gym tomorrow, it's already on my schedule for Wed. for sure.

December All-In:
    Under calorie goal: 14/15 days (goal is 28/31 days)
    Workout: 3/15 (goal is as much as possible)
    8k over Winter Break (not sure what day) in 56 minutes (Thanksgiving 8k was 56:49)

Grading Goals:
    1. 63/66 AP essays
    2.45/60 SL Tests
    3. x/66 Tone tests

Exercise Goals:
    Sun--rest day
    Mon--meeting
    Tues--meeting
    Wed--walk gunner+ gym
    Thurs--meeting
    Fri--rest day
    Sat--walk gunner + gym

• RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    @Skinny - your reasoning for the use of Happy Holidays is sound - it reminds me of when I was working at the Nebraska Med Center - it was quite diverse too, and I would NOT throw Merry C. at any and all employees - I do stand corrected! To think how narrow my range has gotten....
    - I do hope you shave those 49 seconds off your 8K during your Winter Break! You're doing so well at maintaining your weight despite unenviable circumstances.
    -
    @Kaye - I feel so bad you've taken illl. I do hope you're not a candidate for a 'scope :s - perhaps its just a bug and you'll be over it quickly. A raw egg or something ...

@LLeecc - so good to hear the Pledge is said in so many places - YAY!
    Say do you play hand bells only during the holidays or year 'round. I adore hearing them. What an art! <3

@Mountmary - I do love shopping - Walmart has such amazing sales - but Barbara, I tell you, I come home with so much more than really need!
    I'm so glad you are enjoying this bunch and you fit in so well - and you are doing so well too. Next year is going to be great! You are going to really blossom!

@Niki - I'd like to watch as you make soup - it is a mysterious art - I tried and it was so bland - I just don't know what was wrong - many years later the chef who wrote the cookbook I used was discredited so that might have been the problem. Using a trustworthy recipe like your moms is foolproof!

@CBlue -Lori - what? Are you a maniac - a spin class and a run? WOW - you are really a gunner - that is some exercise - keep it up! That will help you burn your candle at both ends as you try to get those orders done by Christmas! Are you closing on the 24th?
    @Maram - healthy snacks - all my snacks are a bit off the radar. I agree with someone who said - cottage cheese. Thats a good one for me. Eating it - the serving - one half at a time. Also I do use Flavor drops - like strawberry water flavor drops - to make my water taste like strawberry pop or grape pop, that helps me keep drinking it. Or I have a few slices of Havati cheese.

@jtconst - so glad to see you again - mucky water soaked ground, huh? We're getting that right now. Should freeze by morning. Sorry to hear your aches are returning but glad you thought it through and realized its because of the bigger health issue and want to be in control of all of it. We're here for you, ma'am. (tIp's tiny hat with little bells)

@Kah - Kelley - thanks for the advice - baby food would have been better- I couldn't get all the lumps out. I can't handle chocolate right now but I do love butterscotch, so I gave the recipe a chance. Sniffed the cookies again this am, and the banana smell turned my stomach (Sorry Kaye) I do hope to become more of a baker.

@Rozie - your mom sounds really lovable. Nurses don't often get a patient so wonderful. There may be a few patients that are the opposite, who are complainers, but mostly there are the sick and very ill patients that require decdicated care, so the ones who bring them laughter and joy are just a gift! I hope you treasure her !

AFM - after the cookie failure, and pan wash-up, I made a boxed cake - a caramel cake (again, I can't have chocolate in any large dose) and then frosted it with canned cream cheese icing. It came out so well it made up for those lousy cookies. I'd swear Kaye got sick from eating my cookies, but I can't prove it!!!!
    Then this afternoon, I let in my cable technician and, sitting at my door in a bag, was a BIG plate of cookies from one of my neighbors. OMG - it was 2 dozen of the most wonderful soft, delicious - not chocolate laden, therefore, edible, cookies and peanut butter fudge a person could desire. My dinner plan went downhill pretty fast after the technician left. (Oh, my internet is now fixed, one new modem later). Apparently I should have planned for an impromtu feast for the month. I had little sugar nerve zingers darting through my cheeks after 2 cookies and 2 pieces of fudge. It was madness! I did freeze some of it by gosh - the only way I could say STOP to myself!

I'm trying to learn to bake to develop a relaxing hobby - of which I have none. Hopefully I can develop this. Its too late to bake treats to give away for Christmas, especially now that I have seen a professional's cookie plate - No way could I compete with that.

I have 7 neighbors on my "Second Floor- A-Wing" and its customary for us all to exchange food items or best wishes at least. Last year I did a poor job in finding a good item, so this year I was going to bake, until I saw this today -I can't compete with that now,so its off to the store! Big candy bars or boxes of shortbread and assorted teas - yeah, that's the ticket....that will do. OK.
    Ok - time for "THE HOLIDAYS" Cheers everyone!