Weight loss tricks

Options

Replies

• Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    The only "trick" I needed was to realize that this whole thing is just math. Eat less than you burn. Once I realized that weight loss was nothing more than that simple concept, everything fell into place for me. But to break it down more--

1) Don't rely on exercise to get you where you need to be. Focus on your diet first and foremost.
    2) Don't start thinking that if you only eat healthy foods, you'll lose weight. My dad eats three square meals a day of whole foods, but he is still overweight.
    3) Start small. Aim to hit your calorie goal. Once you get good at that, start focusing on a good balance of macros. Finally, incorporate exercise that will get you the physique you want at the end.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    BigT555 wrote: »
    in for people not realizing shes asking for tricks to help with a calorie deficit

yep, way too predictable on here.

Yep, kind of like the one poster who always comes in scolding everyone because it makes him feel superior. Happens every thread!

i'm a she and i found the ones telling her to eat a calorie deficit to be them trying to feel superior actually.

How is telling someone to eat at a deficit being condescending or superior? Do you know how many people on here who are new don't get that part? I don't think anyone here was being condescending. I think you are reading it that way because it serves your bias.

she clarified later that she got that part. i assumed it from the beginning though. thought it was implied by the op.
  • pinkiezoom
    pinkiezoom Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Use a smaller plate.
    Drink plenty of water.
    Don't deny yourself anything, but make sure you work it into your daily cals.
    Lots of veg.
    Don't visit the vending machine in your office.
    Take your own snacks to work with you rather than getting peckish and ending up grabbing anything that is going.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    in for people not realizing shes asking for tricks to help with a calorie deficit

Yep, kind of like the one poster who always comes in scolding everyone because it makes him feel superior. Happens every thread!

i'm a she and i found the ones telling her to eat a calorie deficit to be them trying to feel superior actually.

How is telling someone to eat at a deficit being condescending or superior? Do you know how many people on here who are new don't get that part? I don't think anyone here was being condescending. I think you are reading it that way because it serves your bias.

she clarified later that she got that part. i assumed it from the beginning though. thought it was implied by the op.

She clarified it later. Certainly didn't get it from the OP. Again, no one was rude. If you want to think they were, then that's on you and your perception.
  • pinkiezoom
    pinkiezoom Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Oh dont eat back ALL the calories MFP have told you that your exercised burned. If you are eating back.
  • Aviva92
    Options
    adowe wrote: »
    J72FIT wrote: »

and there are still no tricks to be found...

no, there are. drinking more water and eating more filling low calorie, high nutrition foods like steamed vegetables result in my eating less calories overall because they fill me.

Works for you.....doesn't work for me.

your way or "trick" is how you get into a deficit....not how I would.

so, it doesn't work for you. i didn't claim it works for absolutely everyone. it works for me and it could very well work for the o.p.
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options

no, there are. drinking more water and eating more filling low calorie, high nutrition foods like steamed vegetables result in my eating less calories overall because they fill me.

so, it doesn't work for you. i didn't claim it works for absolutely everyone. it works for me and it could very well work for the o.p.

Still I don't see how it can be considered a trick? what are you tricking?

It's just eating in way to help ensure a deficit
  • PRMinx
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Amitysk wrote: »
    The "tricks" I use are:
    Meal planning (usually plan and shop on Saturday and then prep and cook on Sunday)
    Small plates
    Lots of water
    If I am serving my fiance, I make sure that I don't have a portion equal in size to him
    If I do have a snack, I will portion it out.

So, this...I get why it happens, but people should be very careful about comparing their consumption to others. We had lady on here a little while back who thought a viable strategy was following skinny people around at parties and eating what they ate. Not good.

It's better to just focus on you and your calories....and to weigh your own food to meet those needs.
  • Aviva92
    Options

Still I don't see how it can be considered a trick? what are you tricking?

It's just eating in way to help ensure a deficit

uh, a trick to eat a deficit. call it whatever you want. a way to help yourself to eat a deficit. why does it matter what word is used? if i eat crap all day, i will result in eating more calories because it won't fill me as much on less.
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    The "tricks" I use are:
    Meal planning (usually plan and shop on Saturday and then prep and cook on Sunday)
    Small plates
    Lots of water
    If I am serving my fiance, I make sure that I don't have a portion equal in size to him

So, this...I get why it happens, but people should be very careful about comparing their consumption to others. We had lady on here a little while back who thought a viable strategy was following skinny people around at parties and eating what they ate. Not good.

It's better to just focus on you and your calories....and to weigh your own food to meet those needs.

I 100% get what you are saying. Why this works for me is that when I first started cooking for others I paid no attention to portion control and would eat an equal amount to my boyfriend at the time who was extremely active and fit. He needed to eat a lot more than I did but I had no concept of proper portions. Now I do, and I do focus on myself. I have found though that looking my fiance's plate helps me remain conscious and mindful of what is on my plate.

:)
  • PRMinx
    Options
    The "tricks" I use are:
    Small plates
    Lots of water

I 100% get what you are saying. Why this works for me is that when I first started cooking for others I paid no attention to portion control and would eat an equal amount to my boyfriend at the time who was extremely active and fit. He needed to eat a lot more than I did but I had no concept of proper portions. Now I do, and I do focus on myself. I have found though that looking my fiance's plate helps me remain conscious and mindful of what is on my plate.

:)

Gotcha. So, no skinny stealthing?! LOL. Yep, that's what she called it. So much funny.
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    I always keep gum on hand. I'm a "bored" snacker who caves to cravings when really all I want to do is chew something. If I've got gum in my pantry, I always try that first before reaching for a snack. If I'm still starving when all the flavor's gone out, I'll eat something, but usually I find that it's done the trick and I'm not in the mood to eat any more.

However, please please don't resort to any pro-ana 'tricks' a la The Devil Wears Prada ("Well, I don't eat anything and when I feel like I'm about to faint I eat a cube of cheese.") It's neither healthy nor sustainable in the long run- take it from someone who lived that lifestyle for years :/
  • jodiemhorton
    jodiemhorton Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    • Track every thing in MFP. Everything and weigh yourself every week
      • Have healthy snacks in cupboard at all times ie fruit, nuts, weight watchers things, snacks, small chocos or whatever you crave. Only eat recommended sizes.
      • Set your goals to realistic targets. Don't starve yourself or exercise yourself to death.. it doesn't work in the long term
      • Its hard at first, but gets a lot easier
      • Drink lots of water esp when you feel hungry
      • Don't drink drinks that have kilojoules in it. Go water or low joule drinks.
      • Have a day a week or fortnight where you forget the diet.
      • Make healthy food for yourself. Freeze it if you can and make lots extra meals.
      • Have lots of salads and veggies
      • Cut back on bread and milk and carbs, but still have it in there. Its good for you and filling
      • Been doing this for a year now and nearly at my target 15kgs lost I haven't done any extra exercise, just done it on food
  • Paul_Collyer
    Paul_Collyer Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    - Find the right calorie deficit for your situation. Trick is to minimise hunger and temptation and also provide your body with the nutrients it needs, while being below your maintenance burn.
    - Make good food choices beyond calories.....it will also make your calories go further. Keep your sugar target low and within that eat natural ones eg. fruit as much as possible. Also pay some attention to the GI index for your carbs.
    - Weigh and measure your food. Do not guess unless you have to, and be honest.
    - Plan your food diary on days where it is possible
    - Drink water through the day
    - Weigh yourself often and learn about your body, while keeping your eye on the trend....
    - Get exercising, and measure it accurately in terms of calories. Gadgets are your friend here if you can afford them.....( I use vivofit and Garmin 620, and HRM for all activities. About to go to 920xt to cover all if Santa listens to my wishes ;-) )
    - Reward yourself with days off or days where you go over your limit, as long as you make up for it on other days. You have to live.
  • algwynt
    algwynt Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    keep busy.when im idle i think of food and once i start i dont want to stop until im full.you dont have to be super energetic just keep yourself occupied.its worked for me but its going to be a habit of a lifetime.good luck.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I find using an activity tracker, like a fitbit, brings out the competitor in me, and I will go out of my way to do things "the hard way", just to get more steps in. My activity level increases by a wide margin, and my housework and errands actually get done on time, lol.

I second the small plates and soup ideas. I also will eat a salad before meals if I am having something that is too easy to overeat (for me, that's pasta or pizza).

The other "trick" I use is to eat the same breakfast every day. I have a fruit and whey protein shake every morning. This takes away the need to decide every day, and it gives me lots of energy and sets a good tone for the day. Obviously this won't work for anyone who gets bored easily, but for me it does wonders.

I think anything you can do to make it easier, less unpleasant, or more fun to maintain a caloric deficit is a great thing. Obviously none of these things will work in a vacuum, but if they help you cut a few calories out of your intake, or burn a few extra, why not give them a try?

• brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    eat a lot of protein, don't deprive yourself, I just had a donut but only 1. Eat filling foods, beans, soups, egg whites, peanut butter. That is my tricks
  • leanne0627
    leanne0627 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I had a big sweet tooth so now I grab grapes or raspberries or if I really need something chocolate a sugar free choc pudding. I can munch on grapes for a long time and for only 1 calorie or so each it feels like I ate a lot but it was only 30 calories or so. I also bought those flavor drops you put into water that are calorie free as sometimes I want something other than water, but I don't want to waste any of my calories on drinks. The biggest thing is just logging everything no matter what. You automatically make better choices then. If a muffin you bought was half your days calories, you probably won't ever buy that again etc. It's kinda just trial and error until you find what works for you.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    MBoteva wrote: »
    Start with soup

People who ate a low-calorie vegetable soup before a meal consumed 20% fewer calories at the meal, according to research from Penn State Unniversity. Have a low-calorie broth-based veggie soup before your largest meal of the day to reduce calories and lose weight without feeling hungry.

—Erin Palinski-Wade

Not a trick.....this is just a way to get into a deficit.
    and not a good way IMO but i don't care for soups
    Well, that IS important.

Please, no one else recommend anything that doesn't appeal to or isn't approved by adowe, ok? :D
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    brenn24179 wrote: »
    eat a lot of protein, don't deprive yourself, I just had a donut but only 1. Eat filling foods, beans, soups, egg whites, peanut butter. That is my tricks
    This is a good one to help stay in your deficit.

Eat protein, fat and fiber to help keep you full.

Stay consistent. May not be a trick, but that is the key to success.