Kicking *kitten* In Our Twenties - May Challenge!!

Options

Replies

• mkingraham
    mkingraham Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Hello Everybody!!

YEAH FOR A NEW MONTH! I am still super stressed at work, but by the end of this week all should be winding down with this one project, then next week I will need to bang out another project and then it should slow down. Finger crossed!! Its just been a crazy month and May will be crazy as well, but today is one year since I started working here!! YIPPEE! When my boss gets back from vacation in London I should be getting my annual view and hopefully a raise!! But throught it all I am still forcing myself to work out and eat right because I know that is what is helping to keep the stress from completely taking over my life. I have a coworker who can't eat when they are super stressed- Luckily I am not that and I am also not stuffing my face. Although I am forgetting to eat or loosing track of time so I am making my self eat a snack when I realize. I'm just ready for May 19th when i will be having a 4 day weekend and visiting with some old college friends!! I will do my best to get on here and catch up with everyone this evening! sorry I haven't been as responsive as I normally am- work work work!

XOXO

Megan
  • shannonaufman
    shannonaufman Posts: 383
    Options
    Hey all! I'm spending this week at home with my family, and I really appreciate the tips y'all gave me. My family knows and is pretty supportive of my choice to start eating healthy. So I've decided to just make healthy alterations to their eating choices. Like tonight, we're having burgers on the grille. Well instead of having a bun, I'll just use romaine lettuce as a 'bun'. I hope this works! We'll see.

Megan/Meag -- I have a minor in math on my bachelors' degree, and when I finish my PhD in engineering, I hope to be able to teach some math classes at a local community college, on top of whatever 'real' job I end up getting when I graduate.

Aly -- I was a competitive swimmer through my youth and teen years. It's such an amazing workout -- one of the best calorie-burners out there. Be careful with your shoulders!

AFM - So I'm starting this month off a little frustrated. I've been at the same weight for the last four weigh-ins, even though I've been good with calories (I've actually been low most days, minus my one cheat day /week) and good with water (for the most part) and good with exercise (really good, actually). I'm having a really hard time convincing myself to raise my calories, even though I know about the whole 'starvation mode' thing. I drove 14 hours yesterday, and listened to Jillian Michaels' podcasts yesterday, and she talked a lot about calorie intake. And I'm starting to wonder if MFP has my daily calories set too low. MFP has me set at 1430/day (to lose 1 pound per week), and my BMR is 1530. I've read that you're supposed to eat your BMR calories, but... ugh. I just don't know how I feel about upping my calories. Any tips/ideas?
  • Leela30
    Leela30 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    Hey all! I'm spending this week at home with my family, and I really appreciate the tips y'all gave me. My family knows and is pretty supportive of my choice to start eating healthy. So I've decided to just make healthy alterations to their eating choices. Like tonight, we're having burgers on the grille. Well instead of having a bun, I'll just use romaine lettuce as a 'bun'. I hope this works! We'll see.

Megan/Meag -- I have a minor in math on my bachelors' degree, and when I finish my PhD in engineering, I hope to be able to teach some math classes at a local community college, on top of whatever 'real' job I end up getting when I graduate.

Aly -- I was a competitive swimmer through my youth and teen years. It's such an amazing workout -- one of the best calorie-burners out there. Be careful with your shoulders!

AFM - So I'm starting this month off a little frustrated. I've been at the same weight for the last four weigh-ins, even though I've been good with calories (I've actually been low most days, minus my one cheat day /week) and good with water (for the most part) and good with exercise (really good, actually). I'm having a really hard time convincing myself to raise my calories, even though I know about the whole 'starvation mode' thing. I drove 14 hours yesterday, and listened to Jillian Michaels' podcasts yesterday, and she talked a lot about calorie intake. And I'm starting to wonder if MFP has my daily calories set too low. MFP has me set at 1430/day (to lose 1 pound per week), and my BMR is 1530. I've read that you're supposed to eat your BMR calories, but... ugh. I just don't know how I feel about upping my calories. Any tips/ideas?

I just wanted to say that I LOVE the Jillian Michael's podcasts!!! :smile:
  • NurseNatalie2011
    Options

When I first started MFP the calories set for me were wayyyyy to low. I didn't lose any weight the first month or so I was on here. I talked with a nurse practitioner and an dietition....they both said I went into starvation mode. I am guessing you are in the same thing. It was hard to go from one calorie allowance to another but now I am used to eating 1830cal/day. Some days it is hard to get to that much (and others hard not to go over!). When I dont reach my calorie goal I am usually stuck at the same weight 2 weeks in a row...much sounding like your issue right now. Think aobut trying to bump up your cals for a week and see if there is a difference! Good luck!
    -Natalie
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Woooot for strong, kick-*kitten*, numerically literate women! :drinker: Soooo cool ladies!! I love it :bigsmile:

Looks like I managed to turn the day around. I am still feeling MEGA stressed since I've got a million things to do, and have no idea what Im having for dinner, BUT I went to spin class, got a great burn, and feel good about it. I also spoke with my best-y via email and have sorted out some details for my trip. That's a relief!

I think that a majority of my stress and anxiety comes from not being able to convince myself that things will eventually get done, in time, and not everything needs to be a top priority. Some things may actually never get done. But I need to find a way to just feel OK with that... Working on it!

Shanny - eating meals with family and finding alternatives is a big part of making this work as a lifestyle change. I tend to be pretty aware of my carb intake (to a fault sometimes) but always have veggie options avail as alternatives to high GI carbohydrates. Instead of rice/pasta, I have a bed of spinach, or squash (spaghetti squash is great for this), If I feel like having some carbs, I'll always opt for low-GI and unprocessed or less processed carbs. If you're interested, do some internet searching on the Glycemic Index. It's great info to have regarding carb choices and how not all carbs are created equal :smile: Im going to take a look see at your food and exercise diary to respond to your question about cals - your BMR is 1530, but what is your height and weight if you don't mind me asking? And what setting do you have for you lifestyle on here - sedentary, lightly active, etc?

K folks - Make today GREAT!:heart:
  • shannonaufman
    Options
    Meag -- I'm about 5'4 and I'm 'stuck' at 173. I'll be honest, I'm not one to really think about what I'm eating... which may be part of my problem. I try to watch my sodium intake, but other than that, I don't really think about it. So long as I'm under my calories, I eat whatever. I tend to be a little (mm, ok, a lot) bad about processed foods. I just know that if I start saying "you can't eat this or that", I'll start to feel like I'm depriving myself and I'll give up. So I eat just about whatever I want, but in moderation.

Leela -- isn't she great? That girl means business, that's for sure.

Natalie -- thanks for the input. This is all so frustrating! I think I'm going to bump it up to my BMR for a week or two and see what comes of it.
  • GuamGrly
    GuamGrly Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    My goodness we are on a roll this month!! :noway:

spellbinder - Welcome back girly!! Sorry to hear that your April was less than stellar. Perhaps you just needed some time off to properly get your head back in the game. You had some time travelling which completely through off your entire routine. Have patience and slowly ease back into things. Perhaps just work on one goal per week rather than trying to tackle a bunch at once. I am sure you will end up kicking some major *kitten* this month!!

Meag - I really hope that you are able to get back to enjoying the journey!! I know that you know and understand that every step along the journey will not be easy or enjoyable but the more that we are able to enjoy it, the more we are able to retain and keep up with. You will find your balance and get where you need to be. Be patient and try out new things. I know you are a woman ready to take on the world but you can't do it all at once...baby steps. And thank you so very much for your kind words...you just about made me blush. :blushing: I was very honored to have you say that to me. Oh and I am a complete lover of math as well!!

Tara - I know its your WI and not mine but I :heart: to hear how you end up blowing your goals out of the water each and every month. I am sure that will be the case again this month.

Rachel - so glad to have you here too!! :love: I never thought that I would ever hear myself say this but I am very excited to start my WO again but I decided that I will wait until I finish up with school (just 2 weeks) and then will hit it hard again.

Kandace - progress is a great feeling!! Sounds to me like you are doing what you need to do to get you where you need to be. Keep up the great work girly!! And I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed the Bible study. Seems like every single time we try to talk ourselves out of attending an event, we ended up liking it soooo much.

Aly - glad to hear that you still stayed within your calories despite feeling like you overate. I think my main focus this month will be to make my calories count....eating stuff to really fuel my body with nutrients and stuff rather than just eating to eat. And isn't this weather wonderful?? It was almost 70 on my way into work this morning at 8:00.

QOTD - I always wanted to be a teacher....until I had my daughter. Then I didn't think that I could handle putting up with a room full of kids that you only have somewhat control over and then having to come home and give my daughter all of the attention that she deserves and needs. So then I quickly changed my major. And in 2 weeks I will be done with my classes for my bachelor's degree in Business Management and will graduate June 4...woohoo!! :drinker:

Leela - my kids are my inspiration. I know that if I can get them eating right and staying active now then I won't have to worry about them ever being the fat kid.

Megan - congrats on finding your balance in stressful situations!! I have found that I am usually one extreme or the other but I am trying to get a handle on that. I know that eating everything in sight will not make the situation any better and will only make me feel worse.

Shannon - have you taken your measurements?? I am the same way about my calories. I figure that as long as I am within or under then I am good. But I think my main focus for this month will be to get the most nutrients and energy out of my calories.

And a big welcome to all of the newbies!! :flowerforyou: I don't think I ever properly welcomed you all!!

AFM...been doing ok food-wise for the month. Looked at a room last night. I think it could definitely work but I am checking out all options. Ideally, I would love to live with another single mom because we could relate and help each other out. Hopefully everything works out.

Have a great day lovelies!!
  • meagalayne
    Options
    Meag -- I'm about 5'4 and I'm 'stuck' at 173. I'll be honest, I'm not one to really think about what I'm eating... which may be part of my problem. I try to watch my sodium intake, but other than that, I don't really think about it. So long as I'm under my calories, I eat whatever. I tend to be a little (mm, ok, a lot) bad about processed foods. I just know that if I start saying "you can't eat this or that", I'll start to feel like I'm depriving myself and I'll give up. So I eat just about whatever I want, but in moderation.
    I definitely vouch for doing whatever works for you - We're all different and whatever keeps you on track is the best plan of action for sure. I took a look-see at your diary and it sees that you may not be eating enough calories for your height and weight. Perhaps go into the goals section and set your calorie target manually to 1530 or even 1600 and make sure you are eating back all, or almost all, of your exercise calories. Since you'll be eating more, try to increase your healthy fats whenever possible - this could even just be a case of eating some nuts, nut butter, seeds, healthy oils, avocado (instead of mayo?) etc along with the stuff you already eat. Even just adding some yogurt, fruit or protein to your breakfast (which is quite low-cal) should help bump up your calories and will also help to kick start your metabolism. Processed foods have their time and place and I definitely don't fault you for eating them. We all have to make choices that work for us :happy: As long as you're making informed decisions on what you're putting into your body when you do have choices, then you're on the right track!

That's my advice - Take it or leave it! :heart: Oh and definitely give it at least 2-3 weeks to see results. If you're stalled because you are eating too little, you may seen a small gain before your body kicks bad into weight-loss mode, so don't get discouraged!! It takes a while for our bodies to figure this all out. :bigsmile:
  • k_ewilliams
    k_ewilliams Posts: 43
    Options
    Hey ya'll,
    Yah, I'm suggested to eat 1200 cals a day, and I'll eat maybe 2-300 more if I go exercising, but sometimes I don't...depending on how hungry I am.
    I'll def check out Jillian Michaels' podcasts...where are they to?
    I love her. Follow her on FB haha
  • RadicalCharlie
    RadicalCharlie Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    @meagalayne: I do weigh myself every day. Multiple times a day. I can't weigh myself once or twice a week because I'll get off track. And I do see day to day weight changes. I only been on this diet for 4 days, but I haven't gained any weight. I want it to happen overnight, so I try to make it happen overnight lol.
  • meagalayne
    Options
    @meagalayne: I do weigh myself every day. Multiple times a day. I can't weigh myself once or twice a week because I'll get off track. And I do see day to day weight changes. I only been on this diet for 4 days, but I haven't gained any weight. I want it to happen overnight, so I try to make it happen overnight lol.
    How does weighing yourself multiple times a day keep you "on track"? Do you mean food wise? Or just "in the game"?

The reality is, for everyone, that your weight is not going to change drastically from day to day. Checking every day, or multiple times a day, can become a habit which quickly turns into an obsession/neurosis. Remind yourself that the number on the scale is going to be around the same pretty much every day and that "real" progress - progress you should log and keep track of - takes a lot longer to show on the scale (with any degree of significance).

Maybe you need to consider what you are getting out of your weigh-ins and why you have such a compulsion toward the scale? Finding other ways to feel good about your progress and to stay on track - like fitness, food, and personal goals - can help to take the pressure off the scale (which will eventually let you down - we've all experienced a gain now and again even when we stay on track, eat well, and exercise) and allow you to focus on things that are within your control. No weigh-in EVER feels as sweet as finishing a really hard run, trying on a dress you thought you could never wear again, or feeling good about your body in a bathing suit for the first time in 10 years :bigsmile: Believe me!
  • shannonaufman
    Options
    k_ewilliams -- i downloaded her podcasts onto my iPod touch from iTunes. She talks about a wide variety of topics each week, from nutrition to health to exercise. I gain some valuable knowledge from every single episode I listen to. Even if it's just something as simple as a motivational quote or a website resource. She's really great. You can just search "Jillian MIchaels" on iTunes and her podcast should pop right up.

Meag -- thanks so much for your input, I really value it a lot. I bumped it up to 1530 and I'm going to try really hard to branch out and make healthier choices... instead of just eating smaller portions of unhealthy choices! I will definitely be trying to kick up my breakfasts this week. Thanks for taking the effort to help me out. I'll stick to this calorie intake for the next month and really try to get in all my calories and see what happens.

Guamgrly -- I do take my measurements weekly. And I did lose inches when I wasn't losing weight. But I don't know. For some reason I can't convince myself that that's progress. I know, I know, it is. Because I'm ultimately in this to look better, and losing inches is what I want. But I just want the scale to mimic the inches. Oy.

Thank you all for all of your advice and insight. One of the many reasons I am so thankful for this thread.
  • carro585
    carro585 Posts: 40 Member
    Options

@wannabrn10- I am planning a september 2012 wedding as well. Yay!! We totally have time to be healthy and happy through this whole process. How much total do you want to lose? Add me as a friend.

Congrats to you!! I have about another 22ish pounds to take off.

I forgot to say congratulations!!! I am still finding a venue. The funny thing is the next question is always have you picked a dress....I am a little nervous to even try any on until I lose a little weight.

Hi! I just ran across this thread and figure I'm a few days too late to tag on to the goal list...but I'm planning an August 2012 wedding and just wanted to say hello! If it's ok, I'll add you two as friends. I've been on MFP for a while now but haven't really used the social features... think it would be a nice boost to get some buddies!
  • finncmh
    finncmh Posts: 290
    Options
    Sorry all have been limited to phone access today and most if yesterday. Just wanted to
    Jump in on this calorie thing. Just bumped mine up after doing some research and having a heart to heart with meag. I struggle some days to get there especially cause i stay away from processed foods. Only been raised a week so I will keep u posted but good news no gain. Also feel free to check my diary Shannon for ideas to bump up your calorie intake with healthy fats. My number is a little higher than yours cause I have about twenty pounds on you but you get the jist :-). Full post tomorrow keep it up ladies!

Cait
  • meagalayne
    Options

@wannabrn10- I am planning a september 2012 wedding as well. Yay!! We totally have time to be healthy and happy through this whole process. How much total do you want to lose? Add me as a friend.

Congrats to you!! I have about another 22ish pounds to take off.

I forgot to say congratulations!!! I am still finding a venue. The funny thing is the next question is always have you picked a dress....I am a little nervous to even try any on until I lose a little weight.

Hi! I just ran across this thread and figure I'm a few days too late to tag on to the goal list...but I'm planning an August 2012 wedding and just wanted to say hello! If it's ok, I'll add you two as friends. I've been on MFP for a while now but haven't really used the social features... think it would be a nice boost to get some buddies!
    Never too late Carro! We have people joining in all the time. Just set some goals for yourself, copy and paste the list, and you're in! :bigsmile: Welcome!
  • GuamGrly
    Options

Just throwing in my 2 cents :grumble: ...we all would like to see results overnight but in order for something to stick, it needs to be a process. During that process, you will realize who you are and what you really want. When you get where you want to be, the journey is just as important as finally being there.
  • GuamGrly
    Options
    Shannon - I am with you on the frustration of the number on the scale not budging. After all of our hardwork and even some room in our pants, we would like to see that number on the scale go down...even just a little. Now that I have been off of the wagon for a little while, I have noticed that the number on the scale has only gone up slightly (like a few pounds) but my pants are a whole lot tighter. I think that we just feel that the number on the scale is the reassurement that we need that what we are doing is working.
  • carro585
    carro585 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Woohoo! Just the sort of thing I was looking for. Goals for May added below. Thank you to those who set this all up! And if anybody is looking for another friend, feel free to add me. :)

Also.. I turn 26 this week! Here's to those of us on the flip-side of our twenties...may the second half be even healthier and happier than the first. :drinker:

Leela30: comment more on this month's challenge; eat at least 80g of protein a day
    Believeinmagic: To lose 13 pounds; eat more vegetables and do more strength training
    Meggonkgonk: To reach 133lbs; to run my 10k course at least 1x, Run my 4m run at 9:30
    Allie7383:get out of the 150's finally, continue with the 30 Day Shred, work on increasing my running distance, and overall feeling good about myself!
    SpaceCoconaut: To lose 2-3 lbs a week and stick to my experiment.
    Shannonaufman: lose 4 pounds to hit 169. Drink 64+ ounces of water 25/30 days. Finish C25K. Start One Hour Runner. Stick with 30DS.
    ~KanCrav~ Reach 143, Jog at least 3 times outside,follow WO schedule, incorporate Low GI foods into my diet.
    rai8759: GW 160.4, One day off per week (tracking food), WI on Friday, JM should kick my *kitten* 5-6 days a week, Cardio 3-5 days a week x 20-30 min., Tracking every day except day off, Eat less processed sugar
    wardiemelissa (Melissa)-continue to maintain weight between 120-125 lbs; exercise routine 5 days running, 2 days strength, 1 day rest (long run 10+miles on Sundays), continue to test out new recipes (including new fruits and veggies), and making more time for my family, AND try to post at least ONCE a day!!!
    pixycats: lose 5 pounds, continue C210K at least 3/week, stay under calorie goal 6/week, rest one day/week
    finncmh- not focus on the scale loss! keep working on running plan that I came up with for the 5k in June. Start the push-up and squat 6 week challenge
    lostalykat- To get back to 169 by June 1st. Work on headache prevention and be mindful of what I am doing and eating. Focus on my new training plan and enjoy life. Stress less, yoga more!
    WannabRN10- get out of the 160's!!! Work out at least 3 days a week (piloxing class, hot yoga class, and weights class). Eat Dairy Queen only twice (it is my fav!). Stay in a positive mind set and not get over-stressed with school.
    alwhisler-Increase my run to 45 minutes non-stop, get down to that lower pant size instead of being in-between :)
    sarahmay25- Complete an ab circuit every day of the week except rest day, and decrease my finish time of a mile by the end of every week.
    mkingraham (Megan)- get down to 208, strength train at least 2 times a week, run 3 times a week
    eleanoreb (Eleanore or El) - improve 10k run time, stay in bottom part of weight range, face food head on and not give in to temptations (rather than just avoid)
    MamaMango: Lose 7 pounds,keep my portions under control, do HIIT 3 times a week,strength train moderate-heavy 5 times a week,do some form of low to moderate cardio every other day,eat more fresh greens and less starch and grains! :)
    jyopchick: get back to 130lbs, only allowed one day to go over cals (and within reason), and MORE WATER!!
    crystalfaith: continue to workout at least 4 times a week, drink tons of water, finish the C25k program, and break into the 140s
    LisaRid - lose 10 lbs, drink 8 glasses of water each day, exercise 4x per week, and curb my dessert eating. May is the month!!! :)
    emmarie- do the best I can!
    shelsab-keep up my 10k running schedule, lose 5lbs, strength training 2x week, 3 yoga classes.
    k_ewilliams - log in everyday and keep out of the red, lose at least 5 pounds, run 3x a week
    spellbinder25: (1) Lose 4lbs to reach 133.5, (2) Do 30 Day Shred 5 times/week, (3) Count calories everyday, (4) Update on this thread at least twice a week.
    meagalayne - get back into my maintenance range and stay there, log food no more than 5 days/week, complete weeks 2 and 3 of the push-up challenge, make it to 4 spin classes, increase H2O consumption, and find ways make each day great!
    nausicaa11-lose 6 pounds and try to reach the 8km/h mark on the treadmill.
    McBody- actually rest on rest days; incorporate yoga; get back on a running schedule for race
    carro585-workout 4x/week, average less than 200 beverage cal./day, don't fall too far off the wagon while on vacation
  • meagalayne
    Options
    Awesome goals, Carro! Welcome to the group :drinker:

Guam/Shannon and anyone else that is struggling with not seeing results on the scale... Here's my perspective, from being at this a LONG time, struggling with the scale myself at times (including a lot of weekly gains trying to lose those last 15lbs), and now really having a hard time coping with maintenance. I know that it's easy for me to say "the number on the scale doesn't matter" since I'm not losing anymore, but let me tell you - IT REALLY DOESN'T! There are days when I weigh 125lbs and feel like complete *kitten* about my body, my fitness, and totally unmotivated to stick with this journey. There are other days when I weigh 125lbs and look at myself in the mirror and think "You aren't looking too bad, Meag! Check out that flat tummy and those biceps..." and feel great about my progress. My clothes fit well on some days and on others they feel tight and uncomfortable (uhhh like today? yea :grumble:). The honest truth is that there were days when I weighed 150lbs and put on a bathing suit and thought "Wow - You look pretty good!" and had much, MUCH, more positive self-talk than I have been feeling lately, even at my "goal weight".

Reaching your goal weight is not going to make near as much difference in your attitude towards yourself, your fitness, or your body as you may think, and measuring your success based on the number on the scale instead of celebrating the daily victories you get from living a healthy, active and self-fulfilling life, is simply not outfitting your journey with the tools for long-term success, IMO. Taking a balanced, multi-pronged approach to staying on track by really "working with" your strengths and mitigating those things that you find challenging is the best way to keep yourself motivated. Some people find that weight just drops off them with hard work, diet and exercise. Other people, not so much. Every "body" is different! If you don't find that the scale is working in your favour - or reflecting your hard work - find ways to feel good about all the other awesome progress you are making. Only you can make every day GREAT - and it's got to be your job to do it for yourself!

I *KNOW* I'm not exactly a shinning example of balance these days, but I've had my own successes in the last two years, and I've had periods of time when I've felt like I was really on track, in control, and a master of my own destiny, so to speak. I've had periods of time when my body image and perspective were much healthier and I am working my way back. This journey is about so much more than controlling our physical bodies, eating and working out, and all that stuff -- It's about finding balance and peace with ourselves, our choices, and recognizing our own strength amidst a lot of factors we cannot control. It's about knowing that you have the mental fortitude to dig deep and get to where you want to be. And its about gaining and maintaining "self-love", at any weight, and being good to yourself each and every day. Don't forget that, ladies!

Much love to you all - You know that I mean it!! :heart:
  • wardiemelissa
    wardiemelissa Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    wannabrn-it's Natalie right?! First of all...congrats on the upcoming wedding!! I have never tried the "hot" yoga but I do like doing diff kinds of yoga dvds at home! My 2 faves are Denise Austin's "Yoga Burn", and "Yoga Booty Ballet"! They both have cardio included so you end up getting a pretty great burn!

Thanks for the ideas...have a few different yoga shows dvr'd but not so hot on them...will have to check those out :happy: