Eating at restaurants used to be fun, now it's kind of stressful.

Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    and to all you cretins warbling about olive garden...

il_570xN.328015473.jpg

This is how you do it son!

Alright, the biscuits. But I see no one's coming out to defend their seafood and whatnot.

They sell seafood?!
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    kyta32 wrote: »
    I rarely eat out (3 young kids) so when I do, I really don't care about the calories! I tend to stick to healthier options anyway, like chicken or fish and veg. If I'm eating out I'll make sure I've worked out that day.

Why not ask for a child's portion? I had lunch out at an Italian with a friend a couple of months ago, and we each asked for a child's portion of pasta.

It's a good idea to do the research before ordering. If it's a chain, the info is probably already online or on MFP. You can budget calories ahead of time, but it might be a better idea not to show up at the restaurant hungry. On impulse I got a seniors spagetti at Denny's (spontaneous celebration, didn't plan ahead, had a busy day and hadn't ate much), assuming it would be lower calorie as it was on the seniors menu. When I got home, I found out it was 800 calories (and 40 grams of fat), and was barely able to fit it into my calories for the day. So, I used up a lot of calories to try out something that looked a lot better than it tasted. I would have been better off getting a grilled chicken salad, which I already knew tasted good (I've been eating a lot of salads on this diet). But do find ways to enjoy yourself. If you are eating out for an aniversary, or it has to do with the holiday season, keep in mind that there will be plenty of days of healthy to make up for it (a different kind of 80/20). And if your family gets impatient with your concerns I sympathize. Some people just don't get it...Good luck :)

Why are you replying to me? Your post has nothing to do with mine!

Sorry, to be clear: Even if you order off the seniors menu or child's menu (which not every restaurant will allow you to do) the calories may still be high. It's better to do the research first, and not go to the restaurant hungry, to avoid misinformed/impulse decisions. Thanks! :)
  • dbmata
    Options
    Not go to the restaurant hungry?

Are you the kind of person to get drunk before going to a bar?

!!!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Not go to the restaurant hungry?

!!!

Right!!!

• court_alacarte
    court_alacarte Posts: 219 Member
    Options

!!!

hey that saves money!
  • dbmata
    Options
    c4rtr4t wrote: »

!!!

hey that saves money!

WHY ARE YOU GOING TO A BAR TO GET DRUNK?!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    this whole thread just makes me sad...

Definitely this.
    First the doesn't need to be any more rules/laws demanding restaurants to put nutritional information. These changes would put many of my favorite mom & pop places out of business.

Second, when I'm going out to eat depending on my goals at the time I pick based on what I've learned and make an educated choice. So if for one week I stall my weight loss it's not a big deal in the long term.

Also, if I'm going out I'm going for the full experience and I don't make every decision on my life based on calories / weight loss.

You know there already are these laws right? And mom and pop places are currently exempt. I doubt doing some counting would put them out of business.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Definitely this.
    First the doesn't need to be any more rules/laws demanding restaurants to put nutritional information. These changes would put many of my favorite mom & pop places out of business.

Second, when I'm going out to eat depending on my goals at the time I pick based on what I've learned and make an educated choice. So if for one week I stall my weight loss it's not a big deal in the long term.

Also, if I'm going out I'm going for the full experience and I don't make every decision on my life based on calories / weight loss.

You know there already are these laws right? And mom and pop places are currently exempt. I doubt doing some counting would put them out of business.

It's not the government's job- or the restaurant's job to take care of you.

They shouldn't be forced to do it anyway.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    njitaliana wrote: »
    A law just passed requiring all chain restaurants to post nutritional info. It will go into effect next November. Privately owned restaurants are exempt. So, I generally only eat at chain restaurants, or I choose something without sauces, such as grilled fish and vegetables. With chain restaurants, I look online and choose what I will eat, logging it before I go.

Private owned ones are exempt for now. Give it time. I'm sure they will have to do the same at some point.

I guess I'm spoiled though since I know the chef and owner at my local restaurant and I can have them make me something off the menu or alter the dish so it's less caloric than it normally would be (and I don't have to worry about anyone spitting in my food for the request). But I also only eat out once a week, typically Friday night.

• goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options

Definitely this.

It depends on how much it costs to make up all new menus with the calorie counts. Then if they have their menu online they have to pay their web developer to redo the site to show the calorie counts there too. Restaurant margins run pretty thin so yeah, if it's a really small place it could put a huge cramp in their finances.

• dbmata
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

Definitely this.

^ This. Forcing a business to provide inaccurate data helps no one.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

Definitely this.

How is posting what's in your food taking care of you? We do it with store bought food already. Odd.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

Definitely this.

The laws are for the chains. And if you had read I said any more. I don't agree there should have been mandated for the chains either. And, it's not as simple as just counting, there is a major cost & time that would have to be put in for mom & pop/small places to do this. Our favorite place to go out changes their menu daily to highlight new items, do you expect him to pay to have all this done properly because I can't make a decision on my own???? This would make him have to drastically change his restaurant if not put him out of business.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited December 2014
    Options

Definitely this.

It depends on how much it costs to make up all new menus with the calorie counts. Then if they have their menu online they have to pay their web developer to redo the site to show the calorie counts there too. Restaurant margins run pretty thin so yeah, if it's a really small place it could put a huge cramp in their finances.
    And something like a five year roll out would make that easier.
    Everyone eating at chains is going to hurt their bottom line more.
  • dbmata
    Options

Definitely this.

lol. I like you, you're funny.
  • MelonJMusic
    MelonJMusic Posts: 121 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Many chains list their nutrition info online. Remember, restaurants do not care about your nutrition, they care about 3 things, sometimes only 1: The culinary arts, the taste of their meals, the profit. Your nutrition is your own. If it's not fun, make it fun. And you can't have fun without working for it first. Research the restaurant menu, plan for portions, go out less, eat healthier foods to change things up, and probably most importantly when eating out: expect a sodium overload. THAT is what "delays" your progress when eating meals at restaurants. Unless you're eating out more frequently than normal (outside of 1 or 2x a week), going out shouldn't make you feel defeated bc it will not do more than bloat you to high heaven, or constipate you. That's it. Rather than requiring an establishment to have that information (which is almost always wrong anyway), take it upon yourself to scale back and keep track of repeat visits and your results. If you don't want to do that, you have only two options: complain about how unfun it is, or enjoy your splurge with full knowledge that you'll have to pay for it later.

Fast, good, healthy: You can only choose 2 if you leave your dietary life up to anyone but yourself.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Definitely this.

lol. I like you, you're funny.

What's the five year turn over of restaurants I wonder.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

Definitely this.

The laws are for the chains. And if you had read I said any more. I don't agree there should have been mandated for the chains either. And, it's not as simple as just counting, there is a major cost & time that would have to be put in for mom & pop/small places to do this. Our favorite place to go out changes their menu daily to highlight new items, do you expect him to pay to have all this done properly because I can't make a decision on my own???? This would make him have to drastically change his restaurant if not put him out of business.

Wow. Umm best of luck on your journey?
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options

Definitely this.

Everyone eating at chains is going to hurt their bottom line more.

Sorry that you go to restaurants that offer the same stuff for 5 years straight

No not everyone eats at chains, some of us also love the smaller restaurants that change frequently and offer a wide variety. Because I don't need the government, the restaurant or anyone else to tell me what I should or shouldn't eat.

Also comparing restaurant food to mass produced packaged food is very different, it's not constantly changing

But since all you ever like to do is argue and take no personal responsibility this discussion is probably useless
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options

Definitely this.

Wow. Umm best of luck on your journey?

Done just fine reached my goal and setting new ones.. so yea keep your luck I'll put the work in and not count on luck