Eating at restaurants used to be fun, now it's kind of stressful.

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    this whole thread just makes me sad...

Definitely this.
    First the doesn't need to be any more rules/laws demanding restaurants to put nutritional information. These changes would put many of my favorite mom & pop places out of business.

Second, when I'm going out to eat depending on my goals at the time I pick based on what I've learned and make an educated choice. So if for one week I stall my weight loss it's not a big deal in the long term.

Also, if I'm going out I'm going for the full experience and I don't make every decision on my life based on calories / weight loss.

You know there already are these laws right? And mom and pop places are currently exempt. I doubt doing some counting would put them out of business.

It's not the government's job- or the restaurant's job to take care of you.

They shouldn't be forced to do it anyway.

How is posting what's in your food taking care of you? We do it with store bought food already. Odd.

It's the government sticking it's nose into private company business- and it's unnecessary and ultimately it's for "us".

Seriously- it's way to overbearing- and not needed.

Secondly a 5 year roll out? god- even chili's changes it's menu around more often than 5 years.

I don't even think the chains should be required to do it. I think it's nice- but the government forcing them to do it- totally against what I believe in as a human being participating in our society.
    #doesnt'likebiggovernmentincaseyoudidn'tnotice
  • segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    One of my life's passions is travel. I try to take one or two big international trips per year, when I visit a new place, sample the foods, backpack around, and soak up local culture.

It would be silly for me to say, oh, I have to stay home now because that's where my food scale is.

I usually lose weight when I travel anyway, just because I'm out walking around all day instead of sitting at a desk. I am leaving on vacation for 2 weeks tomorrow and I plan to not log or track anything, and to just enjoy myself within reason. I'm sure I'll come back lighter.

Life isn't meant to be avoided. It's meant to be lived. After all, that's what most of us are losing weight for.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

Definitely this.
    First the doesn't need to be any more rules/laws demanding restaurants to put nutritional information. These changes would put many of my favorite mom & pop places out of business.

Second, when I'm going out to eat depending on my goals at the time I pick based on what I've learned and make an educated choice. So if for one week I stall my weight loss it's not a big deal in the long term.

Also, if I'm going out I'm going for the full experience and I don't make every decision on my life based on calories / weight loss.

You know there already are these laws right? And mom and pop places are currently exempt. I doubt doing some counting would put them out of business.

It depends on how much it costs to make up all new menus with the calorie counts. Then if they have their menu online they have to pay their web developer to redo the site to show the calorie counts there too. Restaurant margins run pretty thin so yeah, if it's a really small place it could put a huge cramp in their finances.
    And something like a five year roll out would make that easier.

lol. I like you, you're funny.

What's the five year turn over of restaurants I wonder.

Fairly significant. Back when I was in the industry, median age was around 2 years, with mode not being too far off in the market I lived in, less for bigger markets like SF.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options

50% of all restaurants that open fail in the first five years.
  • dbmata
    Options

50% of all restaurants that open fail in the first five years.

Last I read, that was one-two years, not five. Then the remainder are closed in general before their 4th anniversary.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

Definitely this.

It depends on how much it costs to make up all new menus with the calorie counts. Then if they have their menu online they have to pay their web developer to redo the site to show the calorie counts there too. Restaurant margins run pretty thin so yeah, if it's a really small place it could put a huge cramp in their finances.
    Everyone eating at chains is going to hurt their bottom line more.

Sorry that you go to restaurants that offer the same stuff for 5 years straight

No not everyone eats at chains, some of us also love the smaller restaurants that change frequently and offer a wide variety. Because I don't need the government, the restaurant or anyone else to tell me what I should or shouldn't eat.

Also comparing restaurant food to mass produced packaged food is very different, it's not constantly changing

But since all you ever like to do is argue and take no personal responsibility this discussion is probably useless

Love mom and pop type restaurants. Here in Florida, right on the coast, I can get FRESH seafood!!
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Serah87 wrote: »

Definitely this.

No not everyone eats at chains, some of us also love the smaller restaurants that change frequently and offer a wide variety. Because I don't need the government, the restaurant or anyone else to tell me what I should or shouldn't eat.

Also comparing restaurant food to mass produced packaged food is very different, it's not constantly changing

But since all you ever like to do is argue and take no personal responsibility this discussion is probably useless

Love mom and pop type restaurants. Here in Florida, right on the coast, I can get FRESH seafood!!

Same up here in Maine. <3 it!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Definitely this.

The laws are for the chains. And if you had read I said any more. I don't agree there should have been mandated for the chains either. And, it's not as simple as just counting, there is a major cost & time that would have to be put in for mom & pop/small places to do this. Our favorite place to go out changes their menu daily to highlight new items, do you expect him to pay to have all this done properly because I can't make a decision on my own???? This would make him have to drastically change his restaurant if not put him out of business.

Wow. Umm best of luck on your journey?

Done just fine reached my goal and setting new ones.. so yea keep your luck I'll put the work in and not count on luck

Accountability FTW!!!!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Ang108 wrote: »
    3 - The notion that one meal out is going to somehow be your undoing is ridiculous.

I think this is the trap/excuse so many people living in the US fall into. I am not singling the US out, but know from experience that many other countries are " cook & eat at home " cultures, where people only go out to eat on very special occasions.
    When you say " it's just one meal ", there is no way of knowing if that is one meal a day, a week, a month or a year, which makes the point moot.
    The newest USDA report on 2013 says that the average American eats 37 % of their calories away from home, which clearly indicates that people eat much more than " just one meal " in a restaurant.
    If consuming a third plus of their calories in restaurants then yes, the smart person would worry about each meal, because 35% is not small potatoes.

Wonder if the poll took into consideration the number of meals people pack themselves to eat away from home. If not, 35% of meals away from home != 35% of meals eaten are restaurant food.

I eat about 30% of my meals at work. Often with meals I made myself. I'm guessing there's a lot more people out there that do the same.
  • dbmata
    Options
    603reader wrote: »

Definitely this.

One of my favorite places is a mom and pop in kittery.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

Definitely this.

Same here! The restaurant we love to go to in the summer gets fresh seafood from the boats coming in daily and tailor the menu around that. I would hate to lose that

Government should not be involved... too many damn laws already... lets accept responsibility, make choices for ourselves and stop looking for other people to do everything for us.
  • scupit
    scupit Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Not sure if you did this or not...you can always ask the staff to go easy on the grill baste. Most restaurants slather their meat in butter before grilling. I order a fajita chicken salad at our favorite Mexican restaurant and ask for little to no butter before grilling. The chicken comes out tasting a tad dry but at least I know it's not loaded with butter. Then you can order a plain baked potato and put a little bbq sauce on it for flavor. Just a couple of suggestions. I used to waitress when I was in college so I know what goes on the kitchen;) They even put butter in their veggies most of the time. It makes eating out hard but you can usually ask them to modify their cooking methods.
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options

Definitely this.

It's not the government's job- or the restaurant's job to take care of you.

They shouldn't be forced to do it anyway.

How is posting what's in your food taking care of you? We do it with store bought food already. Odd.

It's the government sticking it's nose into private company business- and it's unnecessary and ultimately it's for "us".

Seriously- it's way to overbearing- and not needed.

Secondly a 5 year roll out? god- even chili's changes it's menu around more often than 5 years.

I don't even think the chains should be required to do it. I think it's nice- but the government forcing them to do it- totally against what I believe in as a human being participating in our society.
    #doesnt'likebiggovernmentincaseyoudidn'tnotice

100% Agree with this.

The local restaurant my husband and I go to changes their menu a lot. They also offer special dinners with special menus. That would be a boat load of money for them to calculate all the calories in the courses and print up menus for it that are going to get tossed into the garbage at the end of the night any way.

Regardless if you're mom & pop or a chain restaurant it's going to be a huge burden on any establishment.

It's not the restaurants fault that people are obese but it's much easier to place the blame on some establishment rather than the people themselves and it's much easier to have Big Government step in and make it look like they're doing something to "fix" the obesity epidemic when all they're doing is butting their nose into private business and causing establishments to shut down.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

Definitely this.

One of my favorite places is a mom and pop in kittery.

That's south of me but I <3 Kittery too lol
    I don't think I could leave coastal New England.

• DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    kyta32 wrote: »
    kyta32 wrote: »
    I rarely eat out (3 young kids) so when I do, I really don't care about the calories! I tend to stick to healthier options anyway, like chicken or fish and veg. If I'm eating out I'll make sure I've worked out that day.

Why not ask for a child's portion? I had lunch out at an Italian with a friend a couple of months ago, and we each asked for a child's portion of pasta.

It's a good idea to do the research before ordering. If it's a chain, the info is probably already online or on MFP. You can budget calories ahead of time, but it might be a better idea not to show up at the restaurant hungry. On impulse I got a seniors spagetti at Denny's (spontaneous celebration, didn't plan ahead, had a busy day and hadn't ate much), assuming it would be lower calorie as it was on the seniors menu. When I got home, I found out it was 800 calories (and 40 grams of fat), and was barely able to fit it into my calories for the day. So, I used up a lot of calories to try out something that looked a lot better than it tasted. I would have been better off getting a grilled chicken salad, which I already knew tasted good (I've been eating a lot of salads on this diet). But do find ways to enjoy yourself. If you are eating out for an aniversary, or it has to do with the holiday season, keep in mind that there will be plenty of days of healthy to make up for it (a different kind of 80/20). And if your family gets impatient with your concerns I sympathize. Some people just don't get it...Good luck :)

Why are you replying to me? Your post has nothing to do with mine!

Sorry, to be clear: Even if you order off the seniors menu or child's menu (which not every restaurant will allow you to do) the calories may still be high. It's better to do the research first, and not go to the restaurant hungry, to avoid misinformed/impulse decisions. Thanks! :)

Fair enough, although I stated I rarely eat out so it's not an issue. Plus I live in England and we don't get massive portions anyway.

Yes, of course if you eat out regularly it's best to plan what you're going to have.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    Wondertje wrote: »
    Only hate I have is that you used "yolo swag" lol

Margherita pizza is sooo good, especially when theres a bunch of fresh garlic on it

Off topic:
    It's my go-to-phrase when describing the thing I tried to describe, also when I don't know what to name things. My network is currently called YoloSwag1337 'cause I was out of ideas, I also have so many document files on the computer just randomly named things like Rawr, YoloSwag and RawrYolo you wouldn't believe, lol :p

Thank you for the chuckle.

I just don't like "yolo" "swag" "hater" "haters".
    They're all just so cringe-worthy

Ugh no, I don't go with haters. To be honest, I probably don't have the right feeling with Yolo or Swag, 'cause to me they're quite cute and sweet words, though the rest of the world doesn't agree because of 12-year old boys not knowing how to behave :p
    You also mentioned that you're in Sweden so I'm sure the culture surrounding those words is different than here in the US.
    I hear "Swag" and I think of the little d-bag Bieber with the crotch of his pants to his knees (I realize he's Canadian but Canada so smartly pawned him off =[ lol)

Didn't he get returned, though?

Yeah, but just like a bad case of the herp, he just keeps coming back.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Well I like the idea of places in general providing calorie information. It's more information for consumers, and information you can't get on your own. However, there needs to be a balance and if it's an undue burden on small businesses that's an important factor as well. I don't personally know enough of running a restaurant to say whether this is feasible, although I could see there being ways to do this that are not incredibly burdensome. Whether or not it's by government mandate, it's still a laudable goal.

But then again, I'm a dirty liberal :) And an obesity researcher. :)
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    PikaKnight wrote: »
    Only hate I have is that you used "yolo swag" lol

Margherita pizza is sooo good, especially when theres a bunch of fresh garlic on it

Off topic:
    It's my go-to-phrase when describing the thing I tried to describe, also when I don't know what to name things. My network is currently called YoloSwag1337 'cause I was out of ideas, I also have so many document files on the computer just randomly named things like Rawr, YoloSwag and RawrYolo you wouldn't believe, lol :p

Thank you for the chuckle.

I just don't like "yolo" "swag" "hater" "haters".
    They're all just so cringe-worthy

Ugh no, I don't go with haters. To be honest, I probably don't have the right feeling with Yolo or Swag, 'cause to me they're quite cute and sweet words, though the rest of the world doesn't agree because of 12-year old boys not knowing how to behave :p
    You also mentioned that you're in Sweden so I'm sure the culture surrounding those words is different than here in the US.
    I hear "Swag" and I think of the little d-bag Bieber with the crotch of his pants to his knees (I realize he's Canadian but Canada so smartly pawned him off =[ lol)

Didn't he get returned, though?

Yeah, but just like a bad case of the herp, he just keeps coming back.

:sad:

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I think the hope with that law is that it will push restaurants to give more low calorie options. Which frankly is a good thing. And it's only for chains with more than 20 restaurants I believe.

My favorite restaurants are local/non chain places as well but I really wish they would clearly show the low calorie options on their menu. Often it's just sandwiches or salads with all kinds of nuts and cheeses or breaded chicken or fish and it's just tough to figure out what's 'safest' to eat. Then you have the other extreme where the 'light menu' is pretty much egg whites with veggies and fruit or plain oatmeal and you just want to ask them if really they have no option between 300 and 1000 calories.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I think the hope with that law is that it will push restaurants to give more low calorie options. Which frankly is a good thing. And it's only for chains with more than 20 restaurants I believe.

My favorite restaurants are local/non chain places as well but I really wish they would clearly show the low calorie options on their menu. Often it's just sandwiches or salads with all kinds of nuts and cheeses or breaded chicken or fish and it's just tough to figure out what's 'safest' to eat. Then you have the other extreme where the 'light menu' is pretty much egg whites with veggies and fruit or plain oatmeal and you just want to ask them if really they have no option between 300 and 1000 calories.

But why should they have to push for low calorie options. That would again be for a restaurant to decide on what they want for their business and no one should be pushing them either way.

Way too much over thinking going on. If I'm trying to keep it lighter I ask for the sauce on the side if possible, or only eat a smaller portion and bring the rest home.