How bad is it to do weight machines 2 days in a row?

Replies

• JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    edited December 2014
    IndianCat3 wrote: »
    you should not work the same muscle group two days in a row, doesn't matter what machine you are using. Just don't work the same muscle group two days in a row.

He's going to do most likely a full body workout on the machines. It's hard NOT to work the same muscle groups twice in a row when you are actually trying to work most of your muscles in one workout. In the context of the OP's post, it's fine. He says, it's a light workout.
    IndianCat3
    Please just reply to this. It would setting things a lot quicker.
  • IndianCat3
    IndianCat3 Posts: 158 Member
    u muscle heads need to stay off that juice!!!
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    usmcmp wrote: »
    I've never done bench press two days in a row or deadlifts two days in a row, OHP two days in row etc...

If you're doing compound movements, it's almost impossible NOT to use the same muscles in some capacity if you lifting 2 days in a row.

Did the OP mention any of those programs in her post? I don't think full body machine work outs and Bulgarian training should be mentioned together. Besides, taking a 30 min break in between sets?

I cannot comprehend how you're still fixated on the OP. I never addressed OP once. My comment was in regards to "you should not work the same muscle group two days in a row, doesn't matter what machine you are using. Just don't work the same muscle group two days in a row".

It does not say based upon your goals, training level etc.

I think the OP is relevant because the person you were replying to, was originally replying to the OP. Her general statement is probably in the context of what most tout here. As for her reply to the OP, she probably didn't realize the OP was doing a full body workout (light). Which we will just assume is light enough to do back to back.

The OP clearly states Can I get away with doing light, total body workouts on machines two days in a row?.

I know that. I'm guessing the person that replied to him, either didn't see it or doesn't understand enough about fitness to realize that's okay.

So, it makes my statement nonetheless.... Accurate.

If you need it to be, I guess

Great, so thanks for adding absolutely nothing of value and lengthening the thread an additional page. Back to square one.

dude you had to bring Bulgarian lifting into your argument here. LOL. How does that "add" to the thread? You went on some mission to "fight" with this lady when you could have just as easily quantified your statements more clearly. You just said she was incorrect and waited for the reply so you could tell her how wrong she is. Come on man..

It's misinformation to say you cannot do it. Simply put.
  • LolBroScience

That'll win you points.
  • JeffseekingV

youre-not-helping_web.jpg
  • IndianCat3
    I stand by what I said....
  • LolBroScience

Please enlighten us on yet another topic you have no knowledge on.
  • JeffseekingV
    edited December 2014
    I've never done bench press two days in a row or deadlifts two days in a row, OHP two days in row etc...

If you're doing compound movements, it's almost impossible NOT to use the same muscles in some capacity if you lifting 2 days in a row.

Did the OP mention any of those programs in her post? I don't think full body machine work outs and Bulgarian training should be mentioned together. Besides, taking a 30 min break in between sets?

I cannot comprehend how you're still fixated on the OP. I never addressed OP once. My comment was in regards to "you should not work the same muscle group two days in a row, doesn't matter what machine you are using. Just don't work the same muscle group two days in a row".

I think the OP is relevant because the person you were replying to, was originally replying to the OP. Her general statement is probably in the context of what most tout here. As for her reply to the OP, she probably didn't realize the OP was doing a full body workout (light). Which we will just assume is light enough to do back to back.

The OP clearly states Can I get away with doing light, total body workouts on machines two days in a row?.

I know that. I'm guessing the person that replied to him, either didn't see it or doesn't understand enough about fitness to realize that's okay.

So, it makes my statement nonetheless.... Accurate.

If you need it to be, I guess

Great, so thanks for adding absolutely nothing of value and lengthening the thread an additional page. Back to square one.

dude you had to bring Bulgarian lifting into your argument here. LOL. How does that "add" to the thread? You went on some mission to "fight" with this lady when you could have just as easily quantified your statements more clearly. You just said she was incorrect and waited for the reply so you could tell her how wrong she is. Come on man..

It's misinformation to say you cannot do it. Simply put.

She actually said you "shouldn't" Not can't
    you should not work the same muscle group two days in a row, doesn't matter what machine you are using. Just don't work the same muscle group two days in a row.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member

According to her in another post she only goes to the gym to take the spin class and she does fitness DVDs at home. You're confirming that she is probably not a good source of information about lifting routines.

For your information, that is not all that I do, so check yourself, I do lifting as well. Why you gonna bring that up when that doesn't even apply to this post, I don't care what you guys say, I NEVER seen ppl work the same muscle group back to back days. And I stand by it when I say it is not recommended. So before you go put my damn business out there, u better come correct!!!

You didn't mention it in the other post, but I stand corrected that you say you lift.

You are still incorrect that it is not recommended that people train the same muscle group back to back. Certain people? Yes. All people? No. Stand by that all you want, but that blanket statement is incorrect.

Also, I'm a tested natural bodybuilder and powerlifter. Polygraph and urinalysis.
  • IndianCat3

That'll win you points.

Who said I was looking for points????
  • JeffseekingV

Be like water, my friend, be like water.
  • JeffseekingV
    grave_1.jpg
  • IndianCat3

According to her in another post she only goes to the gym to take the spin class and she does fitness DVDs at home. You're confirming that she is probably not a good source of information about lifting routines.

For your information, that is not all that I do, so check yourself, I do lifting as well. Why you gonna bring that up when that doesn't even apply to this post, I don't care what you guys say, I NEVER seen ppl work the same muscle group back to back days. And I stand by it when I say it is not recommended. So before you go put my damn business out there, u better come correct!!!

You didn't mention it in the other post, but I stand corrected that you say you lift.

You are still incorrect that it is not recommended that people train the same muscle group back to back. Certain people? Yes. All people? No. Stand by that all you want, but that blanket statement is incorrect.

Also, I'm a tested natural bodybuilder and powerlifter. Polygraph and urinalysis.

So I'm guessing you work chest back to back days, legs back to back days, shoulders back to back days??? And I do lift..unlike you, I don't do back to back days..jus because you do it, doesn't make it right for someone who isn't professional to do it.
  • LolBroScience
    edited December 2014

Touche with "shouldn't". See follow up sentence. But, at this point we're going to argue semantics and I don't care so I'll just wrap it up.

It's entirely possible to train back to back without injury and still get stronger. In the case of the OP, not applicable anyway. To answer original question... lifting light weight back to back will not hurt or hinder them.

Suffice?
  • IndianCat3

Please enlighten us on yet another topic you have no knowledge on.

I'll give u something to enlighten you on..DONT SKIP LEG DAY!!
  • JeffseekingV
    release_the_hounds.gif
  • JeffseekingV
    edited December 2014

Touche with "shouldn't". See follow up sentence. But, at this point we're going to argue semantics and I don't care so I'll just wrap it up.

It's entirely possible to train back to back without injury and still get stronger. In the case of the OP, not applicable anyway. To answer original question... lifting light weight back to back will not hurt or hinder them.

Suffice?

100% agreed.

Plus she can't take any advice so have at her. I tried and she's going to dig her own grave all by herself.
  • usmcmp

So I'm guessing you work chest back to back days, legs back to back days, shoulders back to back days??? And I do lift..unlike you, I don't do back to back days..jus because you do it, doesn't make it right for someone who isn't professional to do it.

There are times where I utilize back to back days. Certain goals and training timelines dictate that it will work best.

That's what I'm saying though. Just because some people with certain goals should not use it doesn't mean everyone should not do it. In context of the OP's workouts and goals there is nothing wrong with him doing it. Eventually he may determine that a split is better, but for now he's fine with his plan to do it back to back.
  • IndianCat3
    Never said it wasn't imposs, said he shouldn't
  • usmcmp
    Never said it wasn't imposs, said he shouldn't

You said he shouldn't. Most of the other people on here with years of lifting experience say that there is nothing wrong with him doing it.