What's your biggest weight loss / fitness pet peeve?

Options

Replies

• Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    dym123 wrote: »
    My pet peeve about the whole fat vs. muscle debate is when people use it to justify their weight. Having lunch with a friend, we were talking about how hard it is to keep weight down at our advanced age, then she says "but muscle weighs more than fat, right?" This from someone that doesn't lift, doesn't even do body weight exercises. How do you respond to that?

My circles of people often do this but in a joking manner.
    For instance, Bill says "Man, I need to lose weight. I've gained 20 pounds. I'm up to 230." Fred replies "Wow, you're even heavier than me now. I'm 220." Bill jokes "Yeah, but muscle weighs more than fat right?" Bill and Fred both laugh "Hahahahaaa!"

As for those who are seriously trying to justify a weight problem by telling themselves that they are only heavy because muscle weighs more than fat (by volume, *wink*), I put this in the same category as people saying "I'm just big boned" when they're carrying around ~40% body fat. Big bones don't block the line of sight to your shoes.
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Being judged for being able to hit a buffet. Hard. With glee.

Haha yes, this! I can totally out-eat most of my female friends. I also have fasting days, but I don't do those socially, so people are horrified when I stuff myself because clearly I'm going to get fat.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Oh, I smiled at her. Bless her heart...

does smiling when you are trying not to murder someone for asking about your wellbeing count as a smile tho lol!
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Darlin' if my thoughts count for more than actions, I expect I should be facing the firing squad by now.

Fortunately, I think actions are what count.
  • yoovie
    Options
    well.. in that case... someone asked if you were okay and THAT is what matters, not their intentions or motives behind asking ;)
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »
    But I get the other type of reaction to my weight too. I'm still fat - 5'3" and 175lbs. I have about 45 lbs to lose. So often times, people who are meeting me for the first time assume I'm just a fat slob who doesn't have a clue. One time I was running at a pretty good clip on the treadmill at the gym (it was nasty cold and wet outside...normally hate the treadmill), and a trainer I'd never met before came up and suggested I slow down because at my weight I could hurt myself. I just laughed at him and increased my speed. a**hole.

Dear God, save me from concern trolls!

trolls actually dont bother with the effort that would be needed to go over to someone and ask if they were okay.
    When I was 8 months pregnant, I had two different instructors/trainers tell me that I couldn't do something:

1. In step class, the instructor pulled me aside and said, "I'd feel much more comfortable if you would stay off the step." *kitten*, please. I've been doing this class for years and I'm not even using the risers!

2. A trainer told me that I should not be running on the treadmill in that condition. Was worried about my heart rate. Dude, I'm wearing a heart rate monitor. Why don't you just worry about yourself?

Ugh.

• gamesandgains
    gamesandgains Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    ppl who want and ask for advice and don't use it.
  • yoovie
    Options
    ketorach wrote: »
    But I get the other type of reaction to my weight too. I'm still fat - 5'3" and 175lbs. I have about 45 lbs to lose. So often times, people who are meeting me for the first time assume I'm just a fat slob who doesn't have a clue. One time I was running at a pretty good clip on the treadmill at the gym (it was nasty cold and wet outside...normally hate the treadmill), and a trainer I'd never met before came up and suggested I slow down because at my weight I could hurt myself. I just laughed at him and increased my speed. a**hole.

trolls actually dont bother with the effort that would be needed to go over to someone and ask if they were okay.
    When I was 8 months pregnant, I had two different instructors/trainers tell me that I couldn't do something:

1. In step class, the instructor pulled me aside and said, "I'd feel much more comfortable if you would stay off the step." *kitten*, please. I've been doing this class for years and I'm not even using the risers!

2. A trainer told me that I should not be running on the treadmill in that condition. Was worried about my heart rate. Dude, I'm wearing a heart rate monitor. Why don't you just worry about yourself?

Ugh.

I disagree with this 100%

Instructors don't troll clients.

People who show concern for 8 month pregnant people doing a high impact step aerobics class, aren't being *****es. They are concerned and may have never been pregnant and therefore don't know what you can and can't do, and they also do not know you personally - so they may not know that you can handle it just fine. Although, if they have seen your face every day for years, I do not know why they wouldn't have spoken to you about this earlier in your term, or why they wouldnt know already that you do this class constantly?

But in many instances, if an instructor sees an unfamiliar face, and they have special medical circumstances, ie being super pregnant, they are well within their rights (and possibly preventing legal liabilities) to speak with the person about whether or not they can handle a workout. In fact, it would be negligent not to do so.

• ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options

Ugh.

I disagree with this 100%

Instructors don't troll clients.

People who show concern for 8 month pregnant people doing a high impact step aerobics class, aren't being *****es. They are concerned and may have never been pregnant and therefore don't know what you can and can't do, and they also do not know you personally - so they may not know that you can handle it just fine. Although, if they have seen your face every day for years, I do not know why they wouldn't have spoken to you about this earlier in your term, or why they wouldnt know already that you do this class constantly?

But in many instances, if an instructor sees an unfamiliar face, and they have special medical circumstances, ie being super pregnant, they are well within their rights (and possibly preventing legal liabilities) to speak with the person about whether or not they can handle a workout. In fact, it would be negligent not to do so.
    Perhaps, but I was pretty aggravated considering I was working out 3x a week through my whole pregnancy. To be fair, it wasn't my usual instructor. To be more fair, I *was* pregnant, so perhaps I was overly sensitive. :blush:

Really, though, what 8-months pregnant person could walk into a gym and start running three miles off the couch?

• yoovie
    Options
    heck i dont know anyone who isnt pregnant that could stand up from the couch and do a 5K without ever having run before. (doesnt mean they dont exist, i just dont know them :P)
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    cdez80421 wrote: »
    People saying "muscle weighs more than fat" grrrr... :neutral_face:

Wait, why does this bother you? I mean, it's true.
    Its not true,a pound is a pound muscle is just more dense than fat and takes up less space but it all weighs the same.

That's silly, a cup of muscle takes up the same amount of space as a cup of fat. A cup is a cup!

A cups are awesome.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,933 Member
    Options
    snikkins wrote: »
    sullus wrote: »
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    babyrover wrote: »
    "If your building muscle from working out it's okay that the scale doesn't budge Muscle weighs more than fat" No it doesn't...a pound of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscles or a pound of bricks. It all weighs ONE POUND. Muscle is more dense and takes up less space.

Never understood why people don't accept "muscle weighs more than fat". We all accept "helium is lighter than air", or "oil is lighter than water" .. the volume being constant is implied in all those. and most people know this. because otherwise, nothing weighs any more than anything else, since a pound of anything weighs the same as a pound of anything else.

Agreed! Oh my goodness, if you KNOW what the person meant when they said muscle weighs more than fat, why do you correct them? Word police!!!

(Again I'm a hypocrite here - my nephews all know it's a "concrete truck" not a "cement truck". I'm always like "Well you don't call a cake "flour", now do you!).

I love myself, I love myself, I love myself :-/ lol.

HA. Just like my kids know it's not a Zamboni. It's a Zamboni BRAND ice resurfacing machine.

Ah. But sometimes things like that make it into our accepted, even if technically incorrect, lexicon, like how many people use Kleenex to refer to all tissues. We all have our nuances that annoy us.

Oh get this one - Zipper is a brand name. So is Velcro.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    "If your building muscle from working out it's okay that the scale doesn't budge Muscle weighs more than fat" No it doesn't...a pound of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscles or a pound of bricks. It all weighs ONE POUND. Muscle is more dense and takes up less space.

Never understood why people don't accept "muscle weighs more than fat". We all accept "helium is lighter than air", or "oil is lighter than water" .. the volume being constant is implied in all those. and most people know this. because otherwise, nothing weighs any more than anything else, since a pound of anything weighs the same as a pound of anything else.

Agreed! Oh my goodness, if you KNOW what the person meant when they said muscle weighs more than fat, why do you correct them? Word police!!!

(Again I'm a hypocrite here - my nephews all know it's a "concrete truck" not a "cement truck". I'm always like "Well you don't call a cake "flour", now do you!).

HA. Just like my kids know it's not a Zamboni. It's a Zamboni BRAND ice resurfacing machine.

Ah. But sometimes things like that make it into our accepted, even if technically incorrect, lexicon, like how many people use Kleenex to refer to all tissues. We all have our nuances that annoy us.

band aide also
  • yoovie
    Options

and Crayon!
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

Ugh.

This!

I know I read so much crap online about not getting your fragile pregnant heart rate above 140 during cardio. So for the first few weeks between finding out and seeing my Obgyn I tried so hard to stay below 140 but I usually surpass that during warm up. Then I get to my doctor and ask her if there's a special pregnancy heart rate range and her exact words were 'Umm, you will be fine. You would know to stop swimming before you die.'

Even at nearly 33 weeks, I still feel fine as long as I stay below 170. (That's just where I am fitness wise, I'm sure for some women it's higher.) Having a reduced lung capacity keeps pregnant women from being able to overdo it anyway.

• Carlos_421
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

band aide also

And Vaseline,
    Thermos,
    ChapStick,
    Clorox,
    Crock-Pot,
    Frisbee,
    Q-tips,
    Saran Wrap,
    Tupperware...and the list goes on and on and on...
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

band aide also

And Vaseline,
    Thermos,
    ChapStick,
    Clorox,
    Crock-Pot,
    Frisbee,
    Q-tips,
    Saran Wrap,
    Tupperware...and the list goes on and on and on...

Should also mention windex and Tylenol.
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    chadya07 wrote: »
    cdez80421 wrote: »
    People saying "muscle weighs more than fat" grrrr... :neutral_face:

Wait, why does this bother you? I mean, it's true.
    Its not true,a pound is a pound muscle is just more dense than fat and takes up less space but it all weighs the same.

When people say this, they really mean "By volume, muscle weighs more than fat". Meaning that 1 cm^3 of muscle weighs more than 1 cm^3 of fat. Which IS true. People just drop off those first two words.
    and the omission makes them look stupid.

Like people who believe the earth is flat.

Or that climate change is fake because we got snow in winter.

This is just so lame. It is being overly pedantic. You know what they mean, so STFU about it. it's like some 7th grade kid giggling about someone saying the word breasts. It's just ridiculous.

The problem is ... that no- not everyone understands this concept. And people overly misuse it so frequently it just makes it worth mentioning when it's used incorrectly.

Plus- science my friend.

My pet peeves
    "should you be eating that?" ( I don't get that very often honestly but it still irks me)

or

" it's to cold to go to the gym to work out"

I can't even- what does that even mean? You get in your car- you go inside- you work out.

you know. i can relate to too hot to work out. when it 101 degrees outside and the gym is not really that air conditioned i will be like... no, we are walking to the water park instead. but cold? i am stuck in my houe all day in the winter i would LOVE to go to the gym, run for an hour, and then tep outside in the frigid air and enjoy the cold. to me the cold is the best time....

My god, during the summer, it's impossible to use the dreadmills at the Y because well, no windows, three weak fans... and it's stupid hot outside.

Yeah I don't get the people that use winter as an excuse. Going to the gym in the summer is miserable, I get sweaty walking to the gym. Then if I want to do cardio I get sandwiched in between two other sweaty people and the only fans are located on the unused row of treadmills. The windows behind us get all fogged up during the summer, that never happens during the winter.

I find that I prefer hiking in the summer where at least there are trees and the odd breeze, but I don't have time to do that during the week. I love the feeling of the crisp winter air on my face when I leave the gym.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

Poster stated that a pound of feathers is lighter than a pound of lead, and that it's perfectly valid.

Where I come from, that's called stupid. However, now that I live in the pac northwest, I'll go with it.

Bigfoot is real.

No, you're just taking what you want from what was said. Their point was that if I say "Lead weighs more than feathers" you wouldn't fuss about "only by volume!" It's beyond obvious that a pound of feathers will have much greater volume than a pound of lead and that equal amounts of the two, by volume, will not weigh the same.

To say, "Muscle doesn't weigh more than fat because a pound of muscle and a pound of fat weigh the same" is indeed a true statement. However, it's also so blatantly obvious and so incredibly far away from the point of "muscle weighs more than fat" that it makes you sound ridiculously silly.
    You're completely right, a pound of lead weighs more than a pound feathers. Thanks for educating me. gg. gj.

One pound of gold weighs 373.24 grams but one pound of feathers weighs 453.59 grams. So a pound of feathers weighs more than a pound of gold. But one ounce of gold weighs 31.1 grams and one ounce of feathers weigh 28.35 grams. So one ounce of gold weighs more than one ounce of feathers. ;)

#troyweighttrolling
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    "I don't have time to work out."

"I don't have time to prepare my meals."

Anything involving a lack of time excuse is annoying for me to hear.