Women Questions- I need insight.

Options

Replies

• DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I've never weighed myself during my period, but I feel bloated. I was measured once by my PT was my waist was up 2cm. I usually feel a lot thinner when it's over.

I have 3 children, but I'm not 100% sure when I ovulate! I know I must've conceived my second quite late in my cycle as a pregnancy test was negative even when my period was a few days late, so I'm assuming I ovulated late.

I wouldn't rely on any sort of timing for contraception. I got pregnant the first month trying after stopping the pill, and I hadn't even had a proper period.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Does all this mean it's pretty impossible to conceive the day after you period stops?

It would depend on how long the woman's period lasts and on which day she ovulates, plus sperm can live inside the woman's body for up to 72 hours.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,558 Member
    Options
    I gain about 500-900 grams as soon as I stop with the pill and the following days in total. Usually the weight goes down again after 4 days or so. It's nothing I'm worried about, besides, I only stop with the pill every 2-3 months anyway.
  • ljmorgi
    ljmorgi Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Does all this mean it's pretty impossible to conceive the day after you period stops?

You know what they call people who use the rhythm method...
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    ljmorgi wrote: »

The Duggars? ;)
  • ljmorgi
    ljmorgi Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »

The Duggars? ;)

XD
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I know exactly when I'm ovulating. It hurts, and there are...physical signs as well. I hold on to water weight and I'm a crazy person. Same with my period. So there are like 2 weeks out of every month that I weigh-in normally.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »

The Duggars? ;)

ahahaha
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Hi! A few personal questions-
    1. What happens to your weight during your period?
    2. When is ovulation?
    3. Do you gain weight during ovulation?

1. I gain about 8 pounds, consistently, for about 10 years, now
    2. 11 days after I finish my period.
    3. nope.

• yoovie
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »

It would depend on how long the woman's period lasts and on which day she ovulates, plus sperm can live inside the woman's body for up to 72 hours.

i would die a little inside if I was already ovulating 72 hours after i let go of the cotton mouse :-[
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    1. I have my biggest drop in weight during the week before my period, but then my weight stays the same (up nor down) during my period.
    2. For me it's about 2 weeks after my period ends.
    3. Not that I can tell, no.

Now, my weight usually drops very very very slowly after my period and then a bit faster in the week leading up to my next period. When I still had a lot of weight to lose it was the exact same thing on a larger scale ;-) For example when I lost 6 lb per month in the beginning I would drop 1 lb each week, 0 lb the week of my period, and 3 lb at least during the week before my period.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    I know exactly when I'm ovulating. It hurts, and there are...physical signs as well. I hold on to water weight and I'm a crazy person. Same with my period. So there are like 2 weeks out of every month that I weigh-in normally.

This was me, too - I was diagnosed with PMDD and got on the pill - life changing. No joke.

Anyway. I don't gain, but my weight loss does stop for a bit during the first two days of my period. I don't ovulate anymore, either, but when I did it was cycle day 10 (as everyone else says, this varies greatly), and again I never gained, but any progress would sto.
  • Angurla
    Angurla Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I don't weigh myself during my period. I know my weight will be up temporarily and I don't see the point of stressing myself out.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Hi! A few personal questions-
    1. What happens to your weight during your period?
    2. When is ovulation?
    3. Do you gain weight during ovulation?
    Generally speaking ovulation is 14 days before the beginning of a period. I typically saw a 2-3lb increase on the scale for ovulation, and a 3-4lb increase just before my period began, and then a big loss after my period ended.
  • anphi14
    anphi14 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I only gain like 2-3 pounds, it's usually water weight...not from eating more because i just get bloated in general during it
  • 0somuchbetter0
    0somuchbetter0 Posts: 1,335 Member
    Options
    Yay for menopause! <-- sarcasm

I don't know what's going on anymore, but when I did, my cycles were 27 days and I ovulated on day 12 and I gained 2 lbs right before and dropped them the same day I got my period.
  • exstromn
    exstromn Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Me too, and I only feel "my best" one week out of the month. I'm 44 and wondering what menopause has in store for me!!
  • kristydi
    kristydi Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    My weight goes up a few days before my period and status up during. A day or so after my weight dips and that is frequently my lowest weight all cycle.

I have a long cycle. I average around 33 days so I don't ovulate on day 14. In fact I had quite a discussion with an obgyn during my last pregnancy because he wanted to use the date of my last period and figure my due date based on a 28 day cycle, which I knew would put the due date at least 5 days earlier than it should be. He kept insisting that we had to use the average. I kept saying that I knew my cycle wasn't an average length. I did not wind up delivering with that practice. Anyway, I do ovulate right around 14 days before my period.

TMI warning if you doing want to know about cervical mucus stop reading now. Around the time you ovulate your cervical mucus will have a stretchy consistently, like egg white. Is an easy sign you're near ovulation, without charting or anything.

I don't usually have to much cramping, but I crave salty stuff and I'm impatient and mean right before I start.
  • yoovie
    Options
    AglaeaC wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    kace_kay wrote: »
    My weight fluctuates during that time of month. Ovulation is about 2 weeks after your period. And yes you can easily retain water and gain weight during ovulation.

Nope
    <pedant>You ovulate about fourteen days before your period.</pedant>

In case you have other than a 28 day period.

And nope

*jumps up on soapbox*

Neither are true ...nor is it true that you ovulate 14 days before your period.

The 14 day that is oft quoted, included by many ignorant primary physicians, is a population average ...so you may ovulate then or you may ovulate outside the average ...anything from 10 to 16 days before period is "normal". Minimum of 10 to allow conception Then there can be outliers who may have difficulty conceiving due to too short a luteal phase

The only way to know is ovulation predictor sets (or monitoring your temperature, cervical fluid and cervix positioning daily) but that's a PITA and only worthwhile if you have cycle/conception concerns

From personal experience I ovulate around day 18-19 of my cycle

Big yes to the water retention part though

I think the pedant portion referred more to the fact that ovulation happens before, not after the period. If the egg cell isn't dancing happily with a sperm cell, then comes red stuff.

i ovulate before and after my period. but it's never an even 14 days before or after anything else.

• AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »
    AglaeaC wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    kace_kay wrote: »
    My weight fluctuates during that time of month. Ovulation is about 2 weeks after your period. And yes you can easily retain water and gain weight during ovulation.

Nope
    <pedant>You ovulate about fourteen days before your period.</pedant>

In case you have other than a 28 day period.

And nope

*jumps up on soapbox*

Neither are true ...nor is it true that you ovulate 14 days before your period.

The 14 day that is oft quoted, included by many ignorant primary physicians, is a population average ...so you may ovulate then or you may ovulate outside the average ...anything from 10 to 16 days before period is "normal". Minimum of 10 to allow conception Then there can be outliers who may have difficulty conceiving due to too short a luteal phase

The only way to know is ovulation predictor sets (or monitoring your temperature, cervical fluid and cervix positioning daily) but that's a PITA and only worthwhile if you have cycle/conception concerns

From personal experience I ovulate around day 18-19 of my cycle

Big yes to the water retention part though

I think the pedant portion referred more to the fact that ovulation happens before, not after the period. If the egg cell isn't dancing happily with a sperm cell, then comes red stuff.

i ovulate before and after my period. but it's never an even 14 days before or after anything else.

In my earlier comment, I didn't speak in standards, so I'll do that now for clarification :)

In medicine there's a standard for how to count the days. It's in averages, which is typical for statistics. 28 days is the length of the average menstrual cycle, which begins with the first day of menses, day 1.

The average woman ovulates on day 14, but both the length of the menses as well as how long the menstrual cycle itself is, and when the ovulation happens, is individual.

When we talk about when ovulation happens, it is around day 14, give and take some days, and it is after the menses. A new cycle begins on day 1, the next time a period begins.

Here's an overview of all the processes, with the varying height of the endometrium being the "red stuff" in the uterus picture:

Figure_28_02_07.jpg