What's your biggest weight loss / fitness pet peeve?

Options

Replies

• LeelooX2014
    LeelooX2014 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    How many calories in a pound of worms?
  • GingerbreadCandy
    GingerbreadCandy Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    Medilia wrote: »

It is turning into thin shaming these days. Thin women are "Skinny B*****s" or "Bags of bones". And losing weight is giving in to vanity.

Heh, another peeve of mine is people talking about 'thin shaming'. Unless it's in the context of needing hospitalization, calling someone skinny (in any culture where thin is the ideal) is ALWAYS a compliment. Nobody is trying to make you feel bad by telling you that you appear more attractive, healthy and disciplined than other girls. When someone calls you a "skinny b*", they are saying they are jealous of you which is the complete opposite of what shaming is.

I am sorry, but I do not see, in any way, how "skinny *kitten*" could be a compliment.
  • GingerbreadCandy
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Wait until you see the new show on TLC. "My big fat fabulous life."

All about Fativism.

....Murica!

Possibly, the thing that annoys me the most is when people start talking about curves when they are morbidly obese… I mean, yes, I get the whole movement behind it because I was – and still am, a big proponent of the fact that being curvy is something to be proud of (equally to any other body shape you may have) and does not mean you are fat but is just your shapes. However, the original idea has been blown so out of proportion that it is now begin used as an excuse more often than not, it seems to me.

ETA: Being happy with the body you have is fantastic, I am not making an argument against that. I am making an argument against using a catchphrase such as "real women have curves" to pretend your weight is healthy.

It is turning into thin shaming these days. Thin women are "Skinny B*****s" or "Bags of bones". And losing weight is giving in to vanity.

So true! In fact, as someone who has a bit of a phobia of appearing vain, I had to wait until I tipped over the healthy BMI range into overweight to convince myself to finally get to lose weight. Even though I had been unhappy with my body for some time at that point.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options

Heh, another peeve of mine is people talking about 'thin shaming'. Unless it's in the context of needing hospitalization, calling someone skinny (in any culture where thin is the ideal) is ALWAYS a compliment. Nobody is trying to make you feel bad by telling you that you appear more attractive, healthy and disciplined than other girls. When someone calls you a "skinny b*", they are saying they are jealous of you which is the complete opposite of what shaming is.

I am sorry, but I do not see, in any way, how "skinny *kitten*" could be a compliment.

"Skinny" is a compliment. "Skinny b*" = "person I am jealous of".

Sigh and I tried to be so careful with the wording.
  • GingerbreadCandy
    Options

I get that. I just think that for me it has a very different connotation. It implies that if I were skinny, I would automatically be a *kitten*. I would be pissed if I was ever called a skinny *kitten*.
  • Mediocrates55
    Mediocrates55 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I think any time we start referring to another woman as a b**ch, whether playfully or seriously, we start to undermine them in a deep way. All women should be celebrated and all women should participate in that celebration of others, and self.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options

I get that. I just think that for me it has a very different connotation. It implies that if I were skinny, I would automatically be a *kitten*. I would be pissed if I was ever called a skinny *kitten*.

Ah...that makes sense. I always figure it's people's way of admitting their jealousy while still managing to be haters.

• lothquendi
    lothquendi Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    "I tried using MyFitnessPal, it didn't work for me."

I've heard this so many times. The app works fine. You aren't working.
  • karlsantiago
    karlsantiago Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    BFDeal wrote: »
    People who drone on about the squat rack or squatting. I get it. You squat. Squatting exists. It's a thing. I know.

Also form snobs. I read someone post once that you shouldn't deadlift unless you have perfect form. OK. You shouldn't perform an exercise unless you're PERFECT at it. PERFECT. First off, no one is perfect. There are people who train for years. Pretty much only train. Do nothing but train. Then they go to the Olympics. 9.3. 8.9. 7.5. Sorry loser. You weren't perfect so you should stop training. Second, so I need to be perfect to deadlift. OK, so I better practice my deadlift so I can get to be perfect at it. But I can't deadlift unless I'm perfect so I can't practice my deadlift so I can try to be perfect. But I want to deadlift still. I need to be perfect to do that. Sooooo I should practice. But I can't because I can't practice the movement because I'm not perfect so... Yeah. Anyways, bottom line. Form snobs are bad. I mean should it really be that hard to, ya know, move?

LOL so passionate, I always say if you dont have perfect form you are working out something else at least! lmao just be smart and don't get hurt thats it.
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Yakelmeyer wrote: »
    People who hold themselves up on the stair master putting all the weight into their arms and none in their legs.

Haha there's that woman at the gym who's always running while holding for deal life to the treadmill bars next to her. WTF? I swear every time I go there, at least half the people are holding the bar. Makes me shake my head, really. Only assuming that they don't know that you burn way less calories that way, but my gym has free sessions with a personal trainer and it's pretty much the first thing they tell you, so... I don't get it.

I sometimes have to hold the bars and it's because I have major issues with shin splints. I do everything I'm supposed to do to prevent them but some days I still have some pain, even when just walking. Holding the bars helps with it a lot, so the days they hurt, I hold on.

Risking being labelled a concern troll here, but just want to make sure you're aware that shin splints can be caused by stress fractures (or can be indicative that you're going to develop stress fractures) in case you've never had that checked out.

If you have, just ignore me and go back to your regularly scheduled program :smile:

No, I appreciate you saying that! I actually have suffered (on and off) from shin splints for years but only recently became aware that it could be something like stress fractures. My doctor doesn't think that's what it is, but we are exploring that route anyway.
  • superfox12082
    superfox12082 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    When they post they want to "loose" weight.

This.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

Calling people "a *kitten*" isn't really very nice to begin with.

Adding in body shaming is only adding insult to injury.

It's rude and every bit as bad as "fat *kitten*." They don't attach the words "fat" and "skinny" as compliments.

Personally, I don't think using someone's body type in an insult is very clever and tend to see think the people who do it aren't very smart or creative, so I wouldn't worry much about being insulted by one. It wouldn't hurt,but I'd still recognize it as an insult.
  • Mary407
    Mary407 Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    The other day I was at the gym and this man was reading a magazine on the chest press machine for about 20 minutes. Who does that?

OMG. I see that all the time. Probably because I'm super cheap and go to Planet Fitness. There was a girl there yesterday who was wearing the tiniest little work out out fit, just sitting with a group of friends on the machines. None of them was actually working out and I'm pretty sure they never intended to because the girl had on knee high boots that looked like they were made from sweater material. Yeah, that's how I like to work out.

IDK, but I think there are oblivious folks at all gyms. Ours is more on the expensive side, and I still see all kinds of knuckle heads occupying valuable space while NOT exercising. We seem to have a lot of people who play with their iPhones in the mat area. There's only so much space to stretch, and when fully half of it is occupied by people NOT stretching, that is annoying!
  • LeelooX2014
    LeelooX2014 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

Calling people "a *kitten*" isn't really very nice to begin with.

Adding in body shaming is only adding insult to injury.

It's rude and every bit as bad as "fat *kitten*." They don't attach the words "fat" and "skinny" as compliments.

Personally, I don't think using someone's body type in an insult is very clever and tend to see think the people who do it aren't very smart or creative, so I wouldn't worry much about being insulted by one. It wouldn't hurt,but I'd still recognize it as an insult.

iStock_can-of-worms-749944.jpg[\img]
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options

Ah...that makes sense. I always figure it's people's way of admitting their jealousy while still managing to be haters.

A lot of times when I see people say "Skinny B" it has more added to it, like "she needs to go eat some cheeseburgers", "she's built like a 2x4", and "she's less of a woman".
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    snikkins wrote: »
    sullus wrote: »
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    sullus wrote: »
    babyrover wrote: »
    "If your building muscle from working out it's okay that the scale doesn't budge Muscle weighs more than fat" No it doesn't...a pound of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscles or a pound of bricks. It all weighs ONE POUND. Muscle is more dense and takes up less space.

Never understood why people don't accept "muscle weighs more than fat". We all accept "helium is lighter than air", or "oil is lighter than water" .. the volume being constant is implied in all those. and most people know this. because otherwise, nothing weighs any more than anything else, since a pound of anything weighs the same as a pound of anything else.

Agreed! Oh my goodness, if you KNOW what the person meant when they said muscle weighs more than fat, why do you correct them? Word police!!!

(Again I'm a hypocrite here - my nephews all know it's a "concrete truck" not a "cement truck". I'm always like "Well you don't call a cake "flour", now do you!).

I love myself, I love myself, I love myself :-/ lol.

HA. Just like my kids know it's not a Zamboni. It's a Zamboni BRAND ice resurfacing machine.

Ah. But sometimes things like that make it into our accepted, even if technically incorrect, lexicon, like how many people use Kleenex to refer to all tissues. We all have our nuances that annoy us.

Oh get this one - Zipper is a brand name. So is Velcro.

and Crayon!

unless you are french, then crayon just means pencil.

• chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options

i disagree. i dont think of the term "skinny" as complimentary at all. i never use it myself as to me the implications of it are negative... as in emaciated... all skin and bones... unhealthy. i have never looked at the word skinny as a compliment.

even without the b word it is a term that implies less about health and more about starving onesself. or starving not by choice.

• mxmkenney
    mxmkenney Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    People who say you can't lose weight unless you eat the "right" foods.

People who think you have to eat <1200 calories to lose weight.

People who label any food "bad" or "dirty" and get on their high horse about clean eating. I think it is great that YOU want to eat all natural, organic, non-processed 100% if the time. I agree that healthy food is optimal, but if I want a dirty french fry or a dirty cookie made with white flour, or a dirty bar of chocolate, then I will have it - and guess what - I CAN still lose weight! It's ALL about that calorie deficit people!
  • Helen2048
    Options
    So many people have bored me at work talking about Slimming World. They just have to broadcast the fact their belief that they are GOING TO LOSE WEIGHT. One person told me that she is now a size 12 and she'd be happy to fluctuate between a size 10 and 12. Another said she was aiming to lose 5 lbs per week. Is this healthy? Is her health guru okay with this? Meanwhile I carry on quietly calorie counting and learning more about how the body copes with different foodstuffs.

Oh yeah. Did I mention that I am losing weight?
  • runlikethewind7
    Options
    My *extremely annoying* pet peeve is tactless people who like to gush about how "great" you look and how much weight you've lost (even though you still have more to lose) and ask what you're doing; especially when you are in a big gathering and everyone can hear because they like to shout it from the rooftops. Weight is an extremely sensitive issue and not everyone likes to talk about it. I am probably in the minority here as most people see it as a complement, but personally I see it as rude and condescending and like saying that I was invisible or not worth anything before. I realize that people are going to be genuinely happy for you but for people with issues like me such as social anxiety, self esteem, self worth etc or just generally private people It's not something that I look forward to.