Another teen shot in Missouri

Options

Replies

• JGonzo82
    JGonzo82 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    And once again, the mommy of the "victim" (read: criminal) is claiming her poor sweet angel baby son wasn't armed. Give me a break. And I'm sure that breaking into, setting fire to, & looting nearby-but-uninvolved stores is all in the name of justice, peace, & unity too.

We have a saying: "play stupid games, win stupid prizes."
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    Options
    JeriAnne84 wrote: »
    OMG the thing that ticks me off the most about this recent incident is a quote for a guy saying "why must you always use deadly force?" BECAUSE HE FRIGGEN POINTED A GUN AT HIM!!! I'm sorry someone points a gun at me, I'm not going to be all, "oh poopy-doo! Better put it down or I'm going to use some verbal judo on you, you mean person!" EFF THAT.

The cops in New York weren't even doing anything and he killed them. It breaks my heart. We had an officer killed in my town back in September. He was one of the most caring guys and would do anything for anyone. I work with his identical twin brother and it's just awful what that family has been through. Now they have to hear about people wanting cops dead all over the nation. I've worked in law enforcement for 6 years and have a ton of cop friends, and my brother in law is a cop. I'm worried sick about everyone of them now just because people can't go about this in a peaceful manner.

Martin Luther King Jr. protested using peaceful ways and got *kitten* done. What has been going on is crapping all over what he stood for.

Pretty sure they're SUPPOSED to use deadly force when their lives are threatened. It's been that way for decades!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    Is this the story from Detroit where someone emptied 30 rounds into a car with 5 teens, killing one and injuring 3 others?

Or perhaps this was the teen who was shot in Dayton because he wanted someone's Air Jordans?

Perhaps this was the teen in Santa Ana that was shot?

You get the picture.

What does this have to do with the thread? I'm :confused:
    Only the one teen shot by a cop is worth talking about. The other half dozen that died this week from gunshot wounds don't matter. Case in point this isn't about teens. It's a cop hating discussion.

I think the thing that people are protesting against is that when a civilian shoots an innocent person, they will be arrested, tried and most likely convicted. But when a police officer does it, the worst they're likely to get is a paid vacation. I don't know why the conversation has to be changed to "all cops are bad" or "all black people are violent" :(

When a cop who was fired from one force for being a trigger-happy pyscho is then hired onto another force and shoots a 12 year old kid for holding a toy gun and faces no punishment, that's a problem with the system. When the police chief who hired him bears no responsibility for arming him and setting him loose on the population, that's a problem with the system.

It IS possible to believe that the system is harmful without hating all cops. Really. I know the media chooses the most inflammatory stuff to show us but we have to take responsibility for either buying into that or trying to rise above it and have a meaningful conversation.

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    Is this the story from Detroit where someone emptied 30 rounds into a car with 5 teens, killing one and injuring 3 others?

Or perhaps this was the teen who was shot in Dayton because he wanted someone's Air Jordans?

You get the picture.

Only the one teen shot by a cop is worth talking about. The other half dozen that died this week from gunshot wounds don't matter. Case in point this isn't about teens. It's a cop hating discussion.

I think the thing that people are protesting against is that when a civilian shoots an innocent person, they will be arrested, tried and most likely convicted. But when a police officer does it, the worst they're likely to get is a paid vacation. I don't know why the conversation has to be changed to "all cops are bad" or "all black people are violent" :(

When a cop who was fired from one force for being a trigger-happy pyscho is then hired onto another force and shoots a 12 year old kid for holding a toy gun and faces no punishment, that's a problem with the system. When the police chief who hired him bears no responsibility for arming him and setting him loose on the population, that's a problem with the system.

It IS possible to believe that the system is harmful without hating all cops. Really. I know the media chooses the most inflammatory stuff to show us but we have to take responsibility for either buying into that or trying to rise above it and have a meaningful conversation.
    Agreed. I think the system is too easy on bad cops. Push them out and have annual mental screenings for people with that kind of authority. That's my idea of how to best fix things.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

You get the picture.

Yes, certainly there aren't any groups of people that are very anti snitching and hinder homicide investigations.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

You get the picture.

because the law gives police officers every leeway and benefit of the doubt that is necessary for them to properly do their jobs.

• Capt_Apollo
    Options
    White Police Chief Loses It and Tells the Blunt TRUTH About Black Crime [VIDEO]

http://conservativetribune.com/police-black-crime/

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options

QFT
  • grantwashere
    grantwashere Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    As far as excessive force by police goes, I don't think this particular case falls in that category. Eric Garner and Tamir Rice weren't pointing guns (Rice's toy gun was in his waistband) and this guy definitely wasn't.

The word "toy" shouldn't even be present. This statement comes from someone who has never done the job. A gun in a waistband is just that, a gun in a waistband. If law enforcement officers tried to discern real from toy every time they come in contact with a gun in a waistband, the ODMP website would have a lot more names on it.

• aSaltandBattery
    aSaltandBattery Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    So much about this screenshot of Yahoo moments ago have include so many pieces that are wrong and just playing into the media's representation of everything going on...

8k5u7v42x3ir.bmp

"white Missouri cop" "black 18 year old"
    The 3 little clips in the bottom in a row - Shooting in Missouri, Mocking song prompts probe (it's about teen shootings), and Shooting angers crowd.

I didn't read the articles because I was so taken aback by how race and authority/power levels continues to be played on so heavily by the media. Now that I've had time to process maybe I will go look more into them... :\

• Mikkimeowza
    Mikkimeowza Posts: 40
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I just have to say that,

A) This thread is not going to end well. People are going to disagree, we are not here to hear everyone's side and reach the same conclusion. Everyone is here to put their own opinion on a public forum, that doesn't make one person right or wrong.
    B) I was treated like pure trash by a police officer because he thought I was an illegal alien. He called me names and explicitly told me what cops do to "beaners". I was living in the bad side of KC, playing on my sidewalk. He pulled up out of nowhere. This led to me being very distrustful of police at a young age, possibly having my own skewed idea of law enforcement. I also had to watch my mother be beaten by an officer when I was at a young age, because she did not answer a question, and rolled her eyes at an officer. (she was asked if she had her visa, and she is an american citizen). She had a concussion and multiple stitches. I watched the whole thing at 8 years old.
    C) The media is purposely baiting us. Realize that there are real social injustices in impoverished areas, and on the other side of the mirror, police are given a very bad rap for the incredibly dangerous jobs they hold. There is no one true answer.
  • TheNoLeafClover
    TheNoLeafClover Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I think this about sums it up:

1. There are good cops and bad cops.
    2. Certain groups of people are more likely to be targeted and bullied by bad cops.
    3. Cops who use their position of power to bully others, commit crimes, or act with unnecessary force should face full and appropriate punishment.
    4. Cops who are defending others, defending themselves, and are doing their jobs to the best of their ability should not be treated with violence and hostility.
    5. Rioting and killing in response to injustice or perceived injustice is stupid and accomplishes nothing.
    6. Neither does vilifying an entire group of people, be that a race or an institution.
  • sofaking6
    Options
    As far as excessive force by police goes, I don't think this particular case falls in that category. Eric Garner and Tamir Rice weren't pointing guns (Rice's toy gun was in his waistband) and this guy definitely wasn't.

The word "toy" shouldn't even be present. This statement comes from someone who has never done the job. A gun in a waistband is just that, a gun in a waistband. If law enforcement officers tried to discern real from toy every time they come in contact with a gun in a waistband, the ODMP website would have a lot more names on it.
    If the cops can't be expected to tell a criminal from an innocent, then what are we paying them for? Running around arresting and shooting random people isn't protecting me from anything. I could do that in my spare time.

• sofaking6
    Options

I agree with what that chief said. Now, the way the author couches it, and I presume what you believe since you read sites like that, is that there is some kind of relevance to the phrase 'black on black crime". I just want you to know that I know that when you say that, what you really mean is that you believe black people are genetically more violent than white people. So congrats on outing yourself as a horrible human being. People need to call that phrase out because it IS straight up racist, and is also deliberately obfuscatory BS.
  • sofaking6
    edited December 2014
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

If the cops can't be expected to tell a criminal from an innocent, then what are we paying them for? Running around arresting and shooting random people isn't protecting me from anything. I could do that in my spare time.

Wow what a ridiculous statement. So all criminals look alike? So if cops stated singling out someone that "looks" like a criminal and the person isn't then we have people screaming they are being profiled. Do cops really run around shooting random people? Have you ever experienced living in a ghetto, high crime area, have been robbed yourself etc?

It's pretty clear that you are basing your opinions on what's on tv.

No I'm responding to the person who said that it's not fair to expect a cop to try and discern whether a 12 year old child has a real or toy gun in his waistband. I was using sarcasm to explain why his statement is ridiculous.

ETA: My family is from Parkchester NY aka South Bronx.

• Capt_Apollo
    Options

I agree with what that chief said. Now, the way the author couches it, and I presume what you believe since you read sites like that, is that there is some kind of relevance to the phrase 'black on black crime". I just want you to know that I know that when you say that, what you really mean is that you believe black people are genetically more violent than white people. So congrats on outing yourself as a horrible human being. People need to call that phrase out because it IS straight up racist, and is also deliberately obfuscatory BS.

i don't even know how to respond to this. thank you for calling me a "horrible human being" and pretty much saying i'm racist. you'd rather hurl insults than have any kind of discussion.
  • kxbrown27
    kxbrown27 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Here in Chicago people are shot and killed every day. Stray bullets are killing kids in parks and it barely makes the news. Even when a cop kills someone, armed or not, it's been reduced to 3 inches on page 14 of the papers. It's too commonplace to be front page.

While the 90's were a much more violent and deadly decade in Chicago, the violence on the south and west sides is out of control. I work mostly on the north side and downtown, supposed 'good' neighborhoods. But just a few days ago the mayors son was victim of a strongarm robbery in front of his own house.

I think there are about 750,000 cops in the US, and they have to protect 300 million of us. They are outnumbered. And the media turns everything into a white vs black issue, unless a black person kills a white person. It's the first angle they take as if they're trying to start a race war. Anyone know who Zemir Begic is? Probably not, because it doesn't fit the narrative.

This problem was not started by cops, nor will it be solved by cops. But cops have to protect themselves. And who can blame them for being a little more on edge after hearing protesters chant about dead cops, 2 NYPD murdered and others posting on facebook about killing more?
    Point a gun at a cop and you deserve every bullet that hits you, no matter if mama says how you were a good boy/honor student/aspiring rapper/tuning his life around.