Replies

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    As far as excessive force by police goes, I don't think this particular case falls in that category. Eric Garner and Tamir Rice weren't pointing guns (Rice's toy gun was in his waistband) and this guy definitely wasn't.

The word "toy" shouldn't even be present. This statement comes from someone who has never done the job. A gun in a waistband is just that, a gun in a waistband. If law enforcement officers tried to discern real from toy every time they come in contact with a gun in a waistband, the ODMP website would have a lot more names on it.
    If the cops can't be expected to tell a criminal from an innocent, then what are we paying them for? Running around arresting and shooting random people isn't protecting me from anything. I could do that in my spare time.

Wow what a ridiculous statement. So all criminals look alike? So if cops stated singling out someone that "looks" like a criminal and the person isn't then we have people screaming they are being profiled. Do cops really run around shooting random people? Have you ever experienced living in a ghetto, high crime area, have been robbed yourself etc?

It's pretty clear that you are basing your opinions on what's on tv.

No I'm responding to the person who said that it's not fair to expect a cop to try and discern whether a 12 year old child has a real or toy gun in his waistband. I was using sarcasm to explain why his statement is ridiculous.

ETA: My family is from Parkchester NY aka South Bronx.

I didn't read the sarcasm in the post due to never really interacting with you. Got it now.

Being from Parkchester I wouldn't expect a ridiculous statement like that though. Good to see it was sarcasm.

No worries - it's tough anyway when the topic is emotional like this.

We went from the Bronx to the boondocks of Maine when I was very young, but we still visited the rest of the family back in the city. I used to think my grandmother lived in jail because of all the barbed wire.

• sofaking6
    Options
    White Police Chief Loses It and Tells the Blunt TRUTH About Black Crime [VIDEO]

http://conservativetribune.com/police-black-crime/
    I agree with what that chief said. Now, the way the author couches it, and I presume what you believe since you read sites like that, is that there is some kind of relevance to the phrase 'black on black crime". I just want you to know that I know that when you say that, what you really mean is that you believe black people are genetically more violent than white people. So congrats on outing yourself as a horrible human being. People need to call that phrase out because it IS straight up racist, and is also deliberately obfuscatory BS.

i don't even know how to respond to this. thank you for calling me a "horrible human being" and pretty much saying i'm racist. you'd rather hurl insults than have any kind of discussion.

I'd rather call out racism when I see it than keep my mouth shut and let it slide. OK, sorry for calling you a 'horrible human being' on the internet. I should have just thought that part of it.

Or you could explain what YOU think the phrase "black on black crime" has to do with this issue, if you really think there is a valid and non-racist explanation.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

I agree with what that chief said. Now, the way the author couches it, and I presume what you believe since you read sites like that, is that there is some kind of relevance to the phrase 'black on black crime". I just want you to know that I know that when you say that, what you really mean is that you believe black people are genetically more violent than white people. So congrats on outing yourself as a horrible human being. People need to call that phrase out because it IS straight up racist, and is also deliberately obfuscatory BS.

i don't even know how to respond to this. thank you for calling me a "horrible human being" and pretty much saying i'm racist. you'd rather hurl insults than have any kind of discussion.

I'd rather call out racism when I see it than keep my mouth shut and let it slide. OK, sorry for calling you a 'horrible human being' on the internet. I should have just thought that part of it.

Or you could explain what YOU think the phrase "black on black crime" has to do with this issue, if you really think there is a valid and non-racist explanation.

i have nothing to explain to you.

you think you can talk because you visited parkchester a couple of times? i grew up in washington heights and jackson heights. my dad used to have to lie to me about what those sounds were outside, that they were people firing off firecrackers. i lived across parks i couldn't go to because of the drug use.

and i know i look white, but both my parents are hispanic.
  • Ripfit138
    Ripfit138 Posts: 1,148 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Black, white, hispanic, whatever... don't point guns at cops. They don't have a sense of humor with that *kitten*.

As someone earlier mentioned as well - don't put total faith in everything you read on the interwebs either.
  • branflakes1980
    branflakes1980 Posts: 2,516 Member
    Options
    JeriAnne84 wrote: »
    OMG the thing that ticks me off the most about this recent incident is a quote for a guy saying "why must you always use deadly force?" BECAUSE HE FRIGGEN POINTED A GUN AT HIM!!! I'm sorry someone points a gun at me, I'm not going to be all, "oh poopy-doo! Better put it down or I'm going to use some verbal judo on you, you mean person!" EFF THAT.

The cops in New York weren't even doing anything and he killed them. It breaks my heart. We had an officer killed in my town back in September. He was one of the most caring guys and would do anything for anyone. I work with his identical twin brother and it's just awful what that family has been through. Now they have to hear about people wanting cops dead all over the nation. I've worked in law enforcement for 6 years and have a ton of cop friends, and my brother in law is a cop. I'm worried sick about everyone of them now just because people can't go about this in a peaceful manner.

Martin Luther King Jr. protested using peaceful ways and got *kitten* done. What has been going on is crapping all over what he stood for.

LOL @ "oh poopy do"

• Capt_Apollo
    Options

you think you can talk because you visited parkchester a couple of times? i grew up in washington heights and jackson heights. my dad used to have to lie to me about what those sounds were outside, that they were people firing off firecrackers. i lived across parks i couldn't go to because of the drug use.

I knew there was a reason we are friends. Spent most of my life from 13 on in Elmhurst. Born in Washington Heights then went to Far Rockaway.

i was baptised at st elizabeth's church on wadsworth.
  • saschka7
    saschka7 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I think this about sums it up:

1. There are good cops and bad cops.
    2. Certain groups of people are more likely to be targeted and bullied by bad cops.
    3. Cops who use their position of power to bully others, commit crimes, or act with unnecessary force should face full and appropriate punishment.
    4. Cops who are defending others, defending themselves, and are doing their jobs to the best of their ability should not be treated with violence and hostility.
    5. Rioting and killing in response to injustice or perceived injustice is stupid and accomplishes nothing.
    6. Neither does vilifying an entire group of people, be that a race or an institution.

^^^^^^This. QFT.
  • sofaking6
    Options

I'm assuming that despite not wanting to explain anything, your explanation means you're still interested in the conversation...

You're still not being clear and/or honest about your point. So you grew up in a place with a lot of violence...are you saying that black people were responsible for all of that violence and that therefore they are criminals by virtue of their genetic makeup and that therefore it's a good thing for anyone black to be shot on sight by police? To me, that's what people are saying when they use "black on black crime" as an argument for not setting limits on what we find acceptable when it comes to police using force.

Anyway - I really am sorry for calling you names. My point is to make people think more carefully about what they say and what it means so I should really try to live up to that myself, I will absolutely do better.

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options

Most people that are victims of violent crime can point to members of their own race as the criminal. The disparity comes when we see that about 50% of murder victims are black men when they only make up just over 13% of the population. Black on black is sort of pointless but I wouldn't call it racist. That's a bit of a stretch.

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    The group most likely to be killed by police is actually Native American "followed by African Americans, Latinos, Whites, and Asian Americans." It would seem that minorities are more likely to be killed and pointing to the Native American issue it would seem that the more economically disadvantaged you were the more likely you were to be involved in a police altercation. That's pretty much common sense. Poor people commit more crimes. Duh!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options

I'm assuming that despite not wanting to explain anything, your explanation means you're still interested in the conversation...

You're still not being clear and/or honest about your point. So you grew up in a place with a lot of violence...are you saying that black people were responsible for all of that violence and that therefore they are criminals by virtue of their genetic makeup and that therefore it's a good thing for anyone black to be shot on sight by police? To me, that's what people are saying when they use "black on black crime" as an argument for not setting limits on what we find acceptable when it comes to police using force.

Anyway - I really am sorry for calling you names. My point is to make people think more carefully about what they say and what it means so I should really try to live up to that myself, I will absolutely do better.

the silent treatment doesn't really work on forums. but basically, i'm not talking to you anymore because you continue to jump to conclusions and try and put words into my mouth.
  • sofaking6
    Options

the silent treatment doesn't really work on forums. but basically, i'm not talking to you anymore because you continue to jump to conclusions and try and put words into my mouth.

I understand - but just for the record, I'm not putting words in your mouth, I'm trying to tell you that the words which have already come out of your mouth (or link, as it were) have a meaning which is racist, and you either agree with that meaning, or you didn't realize that was the meaning. If you didn't realize the meaning, then following the statement through to its logical conclusion is a good exercise, hence I am actually giving you the benefit of the doubt here.

• pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Why is it that there is more white people shot by police yet not once is it mentioned in the news? Is it ok to shoot white folk but not black? Black people more special now are they? Their lives worth more than white people?
  • sofaking6
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    The group most likely to be killed by police is actually Native American "followed by African Americans, Latinos, Whites, and Asian Americans." It would seem that minorities are more likely to be killed and pointing to the Native American issue it would seem that the more economically disadvantaged you were the more likely you were to be involved in a police altercation. That's pretty much common sense. Poor people commit more crimes. Duh!

Yup, and that is EXACTLY why the phrase 'black on black crime' is racist. It shifts the cause of crime from socioeconomic status to race.

• dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    JeriAnne84 wrote: »
    OMG the thing that ticks me off the most about this recent incident is a quote for a guy saying "why must you always use deadly force?" BECAUSE HE FRIGGEN POINTED A GUN AT HIM!!! I'm sorry someone points a gun at me, I'm not going to be all, "oh poopy-doo! Better put it down or I'm going to use some verbal judo on you, you mean person!" EFF THAT.

The cops in New York weren't even doing anything and he killed them. It breaks my heart. We had an officer killed in my town back in September. He was one of the most caring guys and would do anything for anyone. I work with his identical twin brother and it's just awful what that family has been through. Now they have to hear about people wanting cops dead all over the nation. I've worked in law enforcement for 6 years and have a ton of cop friends, and my brother in law is a cop. I'm worried sick about everyone of them now just because people can't go about this in a peaceful manner.

Martin Luther King Jr. protested using peaceful ways and got *kitten* done. What has been going on is crapping all over what he stood for.

LOL @ "oh poopy do"

And Verbal judo! LOL!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    Why is it that there is more white people shot by police yet not once is it mentioned in the news? Is it ok to shoot white folk but not black? Black people more special now are they? Their lives worth more than white people?

numbers wise, yes, more white people have been shot in the united states than those of african american background. but when you get down to the percentages of it (71% of people in the US are white, i forget how many are black, maybe 13%?) then the statistic isn't really showing you the full picture.