Banned phrases for 2015

Options

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    HDBetaray wrote: »
    Banning journey seems silly and cynical, and cynical isn't what this place needs.

I disagree. This place desperately needs all the silliness and cynicism it can get.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    "TOM"

It's a period, ladies, or menstrual cycle if you want to be technical. Most of us have one monthly and it's not a naughty word. You don't have to disguise it with some stupid acronym. Also, using your period as an excuse to skip workouts and overeat is just weak. You're not the first person to ever bleed from your vagina - woman up and do what you gotta do.

^ Feel free to take offense to that. I don't mind.
  • JazzFischer1989
    JazzFischer1989 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    -Posts alternative recipe to traditional pasta dish, but still uses the original name of said dish-

"THAT'S NOT REAL SPAGHETTI/LASAGNA/PIZZA, AND MY DEAD ITALIAN GRANDMOTHER WOULD BE ROLLING IN HER GRAVE"
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    "Lift heavy"

why?
  • 530roman
    530roman Posts: 1,819 Member
    Options
    I'd like to see phrases like these eliminated:
    "eat all the/teh foods/z"
    "there is so much 'no' in this post/thread"
    And replaced with:
    "eat what you want"
    "I do not believe this/these statement(s) are factual"

Also, talking about menstruating in a public forum and then getting upset when men chime in. Find a private way of messaging to talk about your flow if men can't get in the conversation.

Oh, and when people do this ("^^^^this^^^^" or "^^^yes")

What I find funny is the ones who are upset about what others want banned. It will not happen, so don't get your feelings hurt when people want to ban the same phrases you use regularly. You set yourself up for that disappointment when you opened this thread.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    -Posts alternative recipe to traditional pasta dish, but still uses the original name of said dish-

"THAT'S NOT REAL SPAGHETTI/LASAGNA/PIZZA, AND MY DEAD ITALIAN GRANDMOTHER WOULD BE ROLLING IN HER GRAVE"

agree..I hate when people post something and say "cauliflower lasagna" if you are using cauliflower for the noodles it is NOT lasagna...
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    "Lift heavy"

why?

Yes why?
  • S0vi
    S0vi Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I SAY WHAT I WANT!
  • TheBigFb
    TheBigFb Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I haevnt lost weight for 4 weeks and Ive been really strict and logged everything , whats wrong?

" have you been 100% honest"

No, I had 18 Mars Bars and 4 litres of Coke Saturday, and didnt log breakfast at all cause it was only four pop tarts a day

• Azdak
    Options
    "Mindless cardio"

"Tabata"

"I LOVE it!!!!!"

"I'm a certified personal trainer"

"Protein"

"Fasted cardio"

"Burns muscle"

"How do I log......"

"HRM"
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    "Lift heavy"

why?

Yes why?

Well duh you will get bulky.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    OH and the term "Belly fat". It gives me a weird image in my head. I know there is nothing wrong with it, it's far more accurate than "Stomach fat" or something... but it just seems so... disembodied.

As far as that goes, and I know this makes me a crank, but "tummy" used by adults bothers me.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »
    "journey" and "lifestyle change". So cliche.

Yuuup! And guess what? It all means the same thing as "diet". "Diet" - food you eat.

^ this

also second the comments on picking something I can do for the rest of my life. I never intended to be needing to lose 100 lbs for the rest of my life so I never saw why I should need to pick something I can do forever. Things are always changing.

I agree (to an extent) as well. You have to make some sustainable changes to both eating and activity. But the details (low carb, counting calories etc) don't need to be life long choices. The assumption is, of course, that "everything in moderation" is the best way to lose because you'll then just have a bit more of everything at maintenance.
    Time will tell if that's actually going to work for folks in practice "forever".

My own diet has shifted as needed over the years.

I agree with this also. Among other things, how you eat is going to vary depending on how many calories you eat (and I still think that my doing 1250 for a while was a sensible choice, for me) and how much exercise you do, as well as the type of exercise. And trying things for a period of time doesn't hurt (well, it might be bad for some people, depending on what it is, but that's why you have to know yourself).
  • JazzFischer1989
    JazzFischer1989 Posts: 531 Member
    Options

agree..I hate when people post something and say "cauliflower lasagna" if you are using cauliflower for the noodles it is NOT lasagna...

Haha, that's actually the opposite of what I mean. I actually find it annoying when people get really caught up on the name of a dish, to the point that they start insulting the OP. It's just a name.

As for "lift heavy", I understand that it's an effective way to build muscle and achieve a desirable physique, but there are many, many other ways to do this and I think the phrase is becoming a little cliche. I personally hate weight lifting, but I achieved the body that I wanted thru years of dance, yoga, kempo, kickline, etc. I just think that the advice that's given on here can be a little limited at times, especially when it comes in the form of "Eat more, lift heavy." And ...that's it.

If you're just starting out, you should know that there is more than one way to go about this. It might be discouraging if you're a beginner and you start weight lifting, you hate it, and you don't really know where to go from there.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    "detox"

"jump-start metabolism"

"white food"

"eat clean"

"tone"

"recomp"

"Dr. Oz said.."

What else..? B)

Whoa, I'm calling a party foul on white food.

How else do you explain grilled cheese, tomato soup that tastes like ketchup, boiled food without salt, apple pie, derby cheese, and egg white omelets?
  • ndj1979
    Options
    530roman wrote: »
    I'd like to see phrases like these eliminated:
    "eat all the/teh foods/z"
    "there is so much 'no' in this post/thread"
    And replaced with:
    "eat what you want"
    "I do not believe this/these statement(s) are factual"

Also, talking about menstruating in a public forum and then getting upset when men chime in. Find a private way of messaging to talk about your flow if men can't get in the conversation.

Oh, and when people do this ("^^^^this^^^^" or "^^^yes")

What I find funny is the ones who are upset about what others want banned. It will not happen, so don't get your feelings hurt when people want to ban the same phrases you use regularly. You set yourself up for that disappointment when you opened this thread.

people that complain, just to complain.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    "I only eat what cavemen ate" LOL, really???
  • dbmata
    Options
    "Journey" - yeah, it's not. Want a journey, take a step onto the road, it's a dangerous thing and you never know where it will take you.

How about we kill off a couple concepts:
    Empathy
    Validation
    Difficult
    Can't
    Laziness

Eh, help me, I can't work out because I'm so spazzy that I can't do a jumping jack right.
    Stow it, go do it, you'll get better at it as you do it. I didn't spring forth from the womb as awesome as I am, it took a *little* bit o' practice and bourbon.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Regarding Journey... can we finally tell them to stop touring and that no one likes their music?
  • Azdak
    Options
    "Everyone is different "