sugar addiction

Options

Replies

• slimbettie
    slimbettie Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    slimbettie wrote: »
    Yip! I am a firm believer of eating anything and not to restrict any food groups. That is the only way I managed to lose 40kg so far.

But the last month or so I noticed that I dig into all the sweet goodies way to much. It is almost a case of the more sweet things I eat, the more I want.

So how often do you have to "reset"?

"reset".. good word actually. it is my first "reset". I think because I do allow myself anything I want, just within my calorie goals, I did not need to reset until now. but something happened with my head and I went into sugar overdrive....

• TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Yip! I am a firm believer of eating anything and not to restrict any food groups. That is the only way I managed to lose 40kg so far.

But the last month or so I noticed that I dig into all the sweet goodies way to much. It is almost a case of the more sweet things I eat, the more I want.

So how often do you have to "reset"?

"reset".. good word actually. it is my first "reset". I think because I do allow myself anything I want, just within my calorie goals, I did not need to reset until now. but something happened with my head and I went into sugar overdrive....

That makes sense. Thanks for sharing :)
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    zillie77 wrote: »
    Sugar has effects on the nucleus accumbens and the ventral tegmental areas of the brain, which are involved with addiction. There are increasing studies suggesting that sugar, and a sugar-fat combination has similar effects on the brain to opiates, like morphine, heroin, etc. in terms of dopamine binding, increased tolerance, withdrawal symptoms, etc.

People don't get as high or drunk on sugar as they do on other substances like cocaine or heroin, but it probably is addictive, like nicotine or anything else.

Okay, given that information.

Wouldn't someone who drank 5-6 sodas a day go through some withdraw symptoms after dropping down to half a soda a day?

Because that's exactly what I did, and I felt nothing (and I'm a former smoker, I know).

If sugar were addictive - we all eat it, so why isn't everyone addicted?

Well, to be fair, people can drink alcohol without becoming alcoholics. But, yeah, until people are selling themselves, digging in dumpsters or eating sugar out of the sugar bowl with a spoon, I call B.S. on addiction. I think people like to think it's an addiction because it's a good excuse and it sounds better than "I don't have self control when it comes to candy."
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Rawrsy wrote: »
    EmoJew wrote: »
    ...isn't a real thing...

Haha. Yes it is a real thing. It's biochemistry my friend.

Maybe try nakd chocolate bars or similiar as a treat every so often. I also found that drinking green tea helps curb cravings? I'm not sure if that's just me though.

Yes, according to biochemistry, it isn't a real thing. Sugar acts like any other foods when eaten.
  • seamonster1203
    seamonster1203 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    If one bite of sugar/carbs sends you on a binge, then you are part of the 50% of humans who are carb sensitive. Your insulin response is different. I suggest you research the term insulin response.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

If you don't even understand the problem the woman is dealing with, why bother to reply. As it is your advice of no use whatsoever.
    Patttience wrote: »
    "OP - unless you are rummaging through a dumpster to get your sugar fix or eating spoons of sugar out of a bowl, you are not addicted to sugar. Do you have some self control issues with certain foods, perhaps...
    -
    My suggestion - create a calorie deficit, try to eat the foods that you like (yes, I mean some ice cream, cookies, etc), get a food scale and weigh log measure everything that you eat. Foods are not "good" or "bad" they are just food that your body uses for energy. Try to make better choices and maintain your calorie deficit.

you can lose 50 pounds and eat sugar…"

If you don't even understand the problem the woman is dealing with, why bother to reply. As it is your advice of no use whatsoever.
  • lindsayforlife
    lindsayforlife Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I find it interesting that some of the commenters suggest that sugar addiction isn't a real thing. I'm sorry - but it absolutely is. If you get sugar "highs" and sugar "lows", get massive headaches if you don't eat it and instant relief if you do, if you crave it and get miserable and grumpy if you don't have it - it's an addiction. not only that, but it's been medically proven numerous times that it has more addictive properties that opiates. It's just like the people who say food can't be an addiction. If you've never suffered through it, you're in no place to say that it's a myth.

Just one of the hundreds of articles and studies on the subject:
    nydailynews.com/life-style/health/researcher-sugar-addictive-cocaine-obesity-diabetes-cancer-heart-disease-article-1.1054419
  • seamonster1203
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    This topic caught my eye, because i am currently on Day 2 of a 10 Day "no sugar" challenge.... just for me, and not permanent, I love my sugar tooooooo much!!! But rather this than gaining back 10kg before I hit the breaks. It is hard, I must be honest. But going cold turkey for me, just to bring things back into perspective is key. No sugar for me, means anything that has added sugar like cookies, chocolate, ice cream etc. Had to do something, because every day I would have 3 tinkies (twinkies), ice cream, cookies with my coffee. Things got waaaaay out of hand. :s

Good luck. Be strong. You will find a balance.

so you are eating zero bread, vegetables, etc, because, sugar right?

Vegetables have added sugar? Thank you, I was so wrong thinking carbs in veggies come from Fiber.

carbs convert to sugar….

so if poster is going 100% no sugar carbs would need to be zero.

Non-starchy veggies do not have carbs from sugar. They have carbs from fiber which does not cause an insulin spike. So yes, low carb diet would mean no starches/sugar/grain.

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I find it interesting that some of the commenters suggest that sugar addiction isn't a real thing. I'm sorry - but it absolutely is. If you get sugar "highs" and sugar "lows", get massive headaches if you don't eat it and instant relief if you do, if you crave it and get miserable and grumpy if you don't have it - it's an addiction. not only that, but it's been medically proven numerous times that it has more addictive properties that opiates. It's just like the people who say food can't be an addiction. If you've never suffered through it, you're in no place to say that it's a myth.

Just one of the hundreds of articles and studies on the subject:
    nydailynews.com/life-style/health/researcher-sugar-addictive-cocaine-obesity-diabetes-cancer-heart-disease-article-1.1054419

Sugar highs and sugar lows are due to metabolic disorders… like diabetes, insulin resistance, and hypoglycemia. A person with a normal functioning pancreas does not necessarily experience highs and lows because their insulin works efficiently. I have both insulin resistance and chronic hypoglycemia and I certainly don't have a sugar addiction because of it.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    My night's going to be pretty boring, so I'm in.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    If one bite of sugar/carbs sends you on a binge, then you are part of the 50% of humans who are carb sensitive. Your insulin response is different. I suggest you research the term insulin response.

I've never heard that 50% of humans are carb sensitive. Do you have a source for that? I'm genuinely curious.
  • tigersword
    Options
    This topic caught my eye, because i am currently on Day 2 of a 10 Day "no sugar" challenge.... just for me, and not permanent, I love my sugar tooooooo much!!! But rather this than gaining back 10kg before I hit the breaks. It is hard, I must be honest. But going cold turkey for me, just to bring things back into perspective is key. No sugar for me, means anything that has added sugar like cookies, chocolate, ice cream etc. Had to do something, because every day I would have 3 tinkies (twinkies), ice cream, cookies with my coffee. Things got waaaaay out of hand. :s

Good luck. Be strong. You will find a balance.

so you are eating zero bread, vegetables, etc, because, sugar right?

Vegetables have added sugar? Thank you, I was so wrong thinking carbs in veggies come from Fiber.

carbs convert to sugar….

so if poster is going 100% no sugar carbs would need to be zero.

Non-starchy veggies do not have carbs from sugar. They have carbs from fiber which does not cause an insulin spike. So yes, low carb diet would mean no starches/sugar/grain.

What about the insulin spikes caused by protein? Some of them can be even greater than the ones caused by sugar.
  • tigersword
    Options
    Sugar has effects on the nucleus accumbens and the ventral tegmental areas of the brain, which are involved with addiction. There are increasing studies suggesting that sugar, and a sugar-fat combination has similar effects on the brain to opiates, like morphine, heroin, etc. in terms of dopamine binding, increased tolerance, withdrawal symptoms, etc.

People don't get as high or drunk on sugar as they do on other substances like cocaine or heroin, but it probably is addictive, like nicotine or anything else.

Wouldn't it make more sense to assume that cocaine and heroin have similar effects on the brain as eating sugar, rather than assuming that the food that humans have been eating for the past several hundred thousand years has suddenly decided to mimic manufactured drugs?
  • slimbettie
    slimbettie Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    My night's going to be pretty boring, so I'm in.

too funny.

• seamonster1203
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »

I've never heard that 50% of humans are carb sensitive. Do you have a source for that? I'm genuinely curious.

Hh yea lots of emerging research. The sugar debate is in full rage right now among researchers. Just look around you cant miss it.
  • JoKnowsJo
    JoKnowsJo Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I would suggest many of the new posters go back and look at several threads of this very discussion, the reason you are getting several negatives is, there isn't much in science to back the "addiction" unless you have a medical condition that would require you to limit it. Sugar is a carb. You will find a good portion of the posters here believe in CICO, instead of pulling aside a food group.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »

Okay, given that information.

Wouldn't someone who drank 5-6 sodas a day go through some withdraw symptoms after dropping down to half a soda a day?

Because that's exactly what I did, and I felt nothing (and I'm a former smoker, I know).

If sugar were addictive - we all eat it, so why isn't everyone addicted?

Well, to be fair, people can drink alcohol without becoming alcoholics. But, yeah, until people are selling themselves, digging in dumpsters or eating sugar out of the sugar bowl with a spoon, I call B.S. on addiction. I think people like to think it's an addiction because it's a good excuse and it sounds better than "I don't have self control when it comes to candy."

Well, she compared it to heroine/cocaine, not alcohol, so that triggered my question. I can see it being compared to alcohol in that it impacts people differently. But something like a hard drug just seemed really over the top to me.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Troutsy wrote: »

Hh yea lots of emerging research. The sugar debate is in full rage right now among researchers. Just look around you cant miss it.

Did a search and couldn't find one peer reviewed article. Not even in the two nursing journals I'm subscribed to. I must be missing something. If you have a source I'd like to read it.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    jennat007 wrote: »
    Hi, 43 yr old mom of 2 babies (18mth and 3mth) and I am really struggling with a sugar addiction. I've had this problem all of my life and have been 50 lbs over weight most of my adulthood. I really want to get healthy to keep up with my kids but the cravings are a killer. Any suggestions?

Go ask your doctor and not the internet. Odds are you are not addicted to sugar and you just think you are.
  • jenglish712
    jenglish712 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Whether sugar is or isn't an addiction is at this point still an emerging area of debate in science. It is no where close to proven or accepted as medical fact. Does it activate the reward centers of the brain? Yes, but so does hugging your grandma or exercise. At this point the only non-drug addiction that is in the DSM-5 is gambling (based somewhat on the neuro research) but it is far from agreed upon if it should be. It would be at best a "behavioral addiction" under ICD-11 codes which are currently only in beta IIRC.
This discussion has been closed.