Vitamin D Effect On Weight Loss Study

Options
fredhutch.org/en/news/releases/2014/04/vitamin-d-effect-on-weight-loss.html

In looking at research about weight gain or weight loss this research popped up. With Type 2 Diabetes showing up in younger and younger people this study and others caught my attention. I did not know Vitamin D3 was actually a hormone per some researchers because it is used by many parts of the body as well as the brain.

Replies

• LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    fredhutch.org/en/news/releases/2014/04/vitamin-d-effect-on-weight-loss.html

In looking at research about weight gain or weight loss this research popped up. With Type 2 Diabetes showing up in younger and younger people this study and others caught my attention. I did not know Vitamin D3 was actually a hormone per some researchers because it is used by many parts of the body as well as the brain.

Hmm, interesting.

I was Vitamin D deficient and never knew it. I mean I live in Southern California, where one can't walk to the mailbox and back without getting a tan, and was outside all the time with my kids, nine times out of ten forgetting to put sunblock on. When my doctor told me I was D deficient, I actually laughed out loud.

For me it may be tied into my hypothyroidism (there seems to be a correlation there).

• Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    If I'm reading that right, it seems to say that it helped post menopausal obese women to lose weight. I'm not post menopausal, and was never obese, but it really seems like when I started taking vitamin D, the weight just flew off and I was able to keep it off for almost 2 years now. I could never lose weight before that.

My doctor said I was dangerously low on vitamin D prior to taking it.
  • bokaba
    bokaba Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I also recently found out I had a Vitamin D deficiency as well. The CDC estimates 1/3 of Americans have a vitamin D deficiency. I have/had multiple risk factors such as obesity, fatty liver disease, and GI tract disorders, so it would be difficult to pinpoint the cause. My father supposedly had rickets that caused leg-bowing (but the bowing supposedly went away after a number years of treatment) as a child and wore leg braces.
  • goingforahundred
    goingforahundred Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Very interesting. About five weeks ago I started taking Vitamin D supplements (5000iu) daily. My level was a 6 and I felt terrible. I have lost 27 pounds in the five weeks that I have been on the Vit D supplement. I have also been eating healthier and exercising, and most importantly logging my food on mfp. But, even doing that I probably doubt I should have lost as much weight as I have. I think they are on to something.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »
    If I'm reading that right, it seems to say that it helped post menopausal obese women to lose weight. I'm not post menopausal, and was never obese, but it really seems like when I started taking vitamin D, the weight just flew off and I was able to keep it off for almost 2 years now. I could never lose weight before that.

I think the study just happen to be the postmenopausal group. If I find it again (watched it last night) there is a long video by an MD about Vitamin D that covered a lot of issues caused by low Vitamin D. I am a 63 yo male and the doctor has been on my case for a couple of years to take Vit D3 and I was just this past summer I got started doing it daily. It was the same time I cut out sugar to manage my arthritis pain so when reading the article it hit me the Vit D3 could be helping as well.

The number of things that can impact weight loss seems to be many I am learning and what works one may not apply to another. Your story of how you could never lose weight before correcting your Vit D level then did afterwards is encouraging. Thanks.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Great.... 2015 fad will be "take vit D to lose weight" as people look for other ways to avoid counting calories.
  • Aviva92
    edited January 2015
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Great.... 2015 fad will be "take vit D to lose weight" as people look for other ways to avoid counting calories.

does it matter? if it doesn't work for people, they will quickly figure that out. it's not like it's going to hurt. if a person is low in vitamin d, they should take vitamin d anyway.
  • elphie754
    Options

does it matter? if it doesn't work for people, they will quickly figure that out. it's not like it's going to hurt. if a person is low in vitamin d, they should take vitamin d anyway.

Actually yes. You should not increase your vitamin D intake without blood work to see if you are deficient. While rare, vit D toxicity can be very dangerous. People with kidney problems are at a higher risk for toxicity. Many multivitamins already have enough Vit D in them. Adding more on top of that can cause issues.
  • Aviva92
    edited January 2015
    Options

Actually yes. You should not increase your vitamin D intake without blood work to see if you are deficient. While rare, vit D toxicity can be very dangerous. People with kidney problems are at a higher risk for toxicity. Many multivitamins already have enough Vit D in them. Adding more on top of that can cause issues.

uh, i just said that IF THEY ARE LOW ON VITAMIN D, THEY SHOULD TAKE IT. GEEZ

i was not taking a multivitamin prior to taking vitamin d. my doctor TOLD me to take vitamin d.

did you even read my post?
  • Aviva92
    edited January 2015
    Options
    many people in my area of the country ARE deficient in vitamin d if they are not taking it in some sort of supplement. FACT
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,509 Member
    Options
    Yes, but just taking Vitamin D3 is not a good idea either as some other minerals an vitamins might get depleted by just taking these pills. Calcium and magnesium should be sublemented as well (and I think zink as well) - though if you don't take natural calcium then phosphoros might decline as well... which should not be sublemented without a doctor. Basically, it's not all as easy as: take a pill and be well.
  • elphie754
    Options

i was not taking a multivitamin prior to taking vitamin d. my doctor TOLD me to take vitamin d.

There is absolutely ni need to be rude. You said "it's not like it is going to hurt" which it very well can. I was also low on vit D and was taking a supplement until repeat blood work showed it was way too high. So even those who are deficient need to be careful.
  • Aviva92
    Options

There is absolutely ni need to be rude. You said "it's not like it is going to hurt" which it very well can. I was also low on vit D and was taking a supplement until repeat blood work showed it was way too high. So even those who are deficient need to be careful.

i said if they are low. i did not say they should just take it. so there is nothing about my post that you should disagree with.
  • elphie754
    Options

i said if they are low. i did not say they should just take it. so there is nothing about my post that you should disagree with.

Even if they start while they are low, they still need to becareful and have regular bloodwork done, especially if they have kidney issues.
  • Aviva92
    Options

Even if they start while they are low, they still need to becareful and have regular bloodwork done, especially if they have kidney issues.

uh okay. still not disagreeing with anything i said though....
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    That's certainly not a foregone conclusion.

If it gets more people who are low into the doctor to get checked, that's not a bad thing. Many people are low and don't know it, so it might be a good thing.

Nobody needs a way to avoid counting calories, really. It's not a Life Requirement. It isn't like there are millions of people out looking for an excuse to not count calories. They don't need one.
  • elphie754
    Options
    You would agree that calcium is also pretty safe right? I had a pt two months ago who had a heart arrythemia. They ended up losing pulses in the back of the ambulance and were pronounced at the hospital. Healthy 28 y/o female with no previous cardiac conditions. Cause of death was hypercalcemia. She had been taking too many over the counter supplements that had both vit D and calcium in them. Vit D is needed to absorb calcium. The more you take, the more calcium can be absorbed. Combine that with excess calcium and you can have problems.

Not trying to lecture or tell people not to take vitamins, but rather tell them to be careful. A lot of people seem to think that because something is OTC it is not dangerous which is not true. I really encourage anyone who is thinking of adding vitamins to go for blood work first.
  • elphie754
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    That's certainly not a foregone conclusion.

If it gets more people who are low into the doctor to get checked, that's not a bad thing. Many people are low and don't know it, so it might be a good thing.

Nobody needs a way to avoid counting calories, really. It's not a Life Requirement. It isn't like there are millions of people out looking for an excuse to not count calories. They don't need one.

That's just it though. Many people do not see a doctor before taking a supplement.
  • mykaylis
    mykaylis Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    i think it's reasonable to assume correction of ANY deficiency will be an aid in gaining health (which, to some, may mean losing weight). i'll agree on the necessity of bloodwork and communicating with your health care practitioner before starting supplementation, especially minerals and fat-soluble vitamins.
  • FitOldMomma
    FitOldMomma Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I'm just glad we have Vitamin D supplements that are easy to take. My mom grew up in Minnesota (1920's-30's) and she would tell me about the god-awful cod liver oil she and her siblings had to take every day when she was little. Blech!