How do I achieve how do I avoid the wider flat waist but a smaller waist (Pictures)

Options

Replies

• Hyspin
    Hyspin Posts: 76 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    So in conclusion the planks is our friend; if my genetics allow it (which they will) I will achieve it naturally from any overall weight loss, no matter if it is diet, strength training or cardio; lights, camera and angles are is these pictures' smoke and mirrors; and if fitness fails in last mile corset train, which I was I was planning to do once I maintained my goal body for at least year.
  • spingirl605
    spingirl605 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I honestly think that the 4 original pictures are 4 different people. As if you can change your body that much in 14 days. Just look at her "chest". It goes from small, to a little bigger, back to smaller and then bigger again on the last pic. Sorry, unrelated to planks, but HAD to comment on the pictures.

PS: I love doing planks, and i suck at them, and my core shows that!
  • sherbear702
    sherbear702 Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    I would think that exercise has little to do with your wasit size (once you get down to a certain size) and more to do with genetics. Some women are just naturally more curvey than others.
  • HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    That particular set of bodyfat photos drives me nuts. Most of us get some belly pooch much lower than 40%, for crying out loud. Most measurement-based calculators put me between 19 and 20 and believe me, I'd be thrilled if I matched up with the photos at that level, LOL. (I understand that the measurement based calcs are flawed...but even looking at the photos, I'm no higher than 25 based on the extremities)
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I think the day 14 girl is a different one from the other 3.

Plus the captions imply she lost 13 lbs. in 13 days. I think that's impossible at that weight range, even if she did some extreme dehydrating.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    EWJLang wrote: »
    That particular set of bodyfat photos drives me nuts. Most of us get some belly pooch much lower than 40%, for crying out loud. Most measurement-based calculators put me between 19 and 20 and believe me, I'd be thrilled if I matched up with the photos at that level, LOL. (I understand that the measurement based calcs are flawed...but even looking at the photos, I'm no higher than 25 based on the extremities)

I did a "huh?" on this one, too. I pretty much look like the 45% picture, actually my waist is a bit bigger than that picture, and my BMI is 38.

• HeySwoleSister
    HeySwoleSister Posts: 1,938 Member
    Options
    I guess I look most like the 25% photo, but with the 40% belly. (I have 3 kids. Even when I was dangerously underweight a few years ago, as in needing to buy child sized trousers, I still had a saggy middle.) My BMI is about 23, but I don't find BMI to be helpful to me...it let me get away with "skinny-fat" for too much of my life!

In that photo set, the 15-17 and 20-22% examples look almost identical. The differences seem largely due to posture to my eye.
  • mykaylis
    mykaylis Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    tanning spray, lighting, dehydrating, and flexing can make you look way skinnier in a few days. if it IS the same person and it really IS that short a time, you've got your answer.

if she has lost fat and that's why her waist looks thicker, it's because her hips are narrower. if you want to look like you have a very narrow waist, get a double boned corset with flat and spiral steel boning. it won't make your waist smaller permanently, it will reshape it temporarily.

genetics will largely determine where you will lose weight first. check out my profile pic. i've lost 50 lbs since then and my chest is exactly the same - but my hips are 10" smaller. darn it. i liked my hips, was hoping to lose my belly roll more than the 1" i ended up with.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »

I did a "huh?" on this one, too. I pretty much look like the 45% picture, actually my waist is a bit bigger than that picture, and my BMI is 38.

The pictures are a reference to body fat percentage and not BMI ...different measures...

And of course they are only referential of a particular body fat percentage for particular body types ... we all hold our fat where we hold our fat. I don't think they're perfect at all ..but what they aren't is the same woman with different clothes, positions, camera angles and lighting
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

I said *maybe* do planks, because they are important for core strength (according to my physiotherapist, you can take it up with her if you want), just don't go crazy with crunches.
  • mykaylis
    mykaylis Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    my BMI is under 40 and according to my fat-measuring scale i am 48% fat. give or take a bit because bioelectric impedance analysis isn't terribly accurate at times.
  • LAWoman72
    LAWoman72 Posts: 2,846 Member
    Options
    LAWoman72 wrote: »

The pictures are a reference to body fat percentage and not BMI ...different measures...

And of course they are only referential of a particular body fat percentage for particular body types ... we all hold our fat where we hold our fat. I don't think they're perfect at all ..but what they aren't is the same woman with different clothes, positions, camera angles and lighting

Ah, I see.

• StarvingAuthor
    StarvingAuthor Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »

I said *maybe* do planks, because they are important for core strength (according to my physiotherapist, you can take it up with her if you want), just don't go crazy with crunches.

Why shouldn't you go crazy with crunches?
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

Because they are not that effective.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,521 Member
    Options
    Hip width structure DOESN'T change since bones are set. Hips can have the illusion of looking "curvier" due to having more fat on them while the waist stays small. Now not everyone attains this look because genetics will dictate your shape, but if you want to stay looking like pic 10, then don't lower your body fat too low.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • madrose0715
    madrose0715 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Lourdesong wrote: »
    Her weightloss probably had more to do with it than did her workout creating a new comp.

Perhaps she lost some fat off her hips, assuming for sake of discussion that there are no lighting, angle, posture issues - her hips look smaller to me, her waist doesn't look wider.

Yup - that is what I thought, too. She reduced BF% further , especially noted on her hips - her waist is NOT broader but leaner.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options

crunches give me headaches. I think it's a spine issue though since sitting in soft chairs for too long (like 5+ minutes) also gives me a headache.

These are super fun though, I'm doing them now because I also finally just started attempting pull-ups and wanted to add in an ab exercise
    Hanging_Twist_Body-300x247.jpg
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I would love the 10 day waist too. Not sure how she achieved this look in just 14 days...

Highly unlikely she did - well, without lighting, water/carb manipulation, etc.