Some Rules for Gym Noobs.

Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    It was a little busy today, and a couple freshies were curling in the squat rack. So I rowed at the preacher curl bench. It wasn't too busy in the weights area, but man... if you wanted a cardio machine you were boned.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    It was a little busy today, and a couple freshies were curling in the squat rack. So I rowed at the preacher curl bench. It wasn't too busy in the weights area, but man... if you wanted a cardio machine you were boned.

Yep my gym was like that. A lot of new couples on the cardio machines. I'd say 200% increase in cardio peeps. The free weights were not crowded.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    TO THE OP:

I hope you understand that taking the time to write ALL of those said "rules" out on MFP is a clear and blatant waste of time. Chances are, people will do what they please, even if you don't agree with it.

I'm sorry to burst your bubble but that's just reality. It happens at every gym. If you have an issue with that, I suggest you workout in your own home where your rules will not be broken.

considering several gym new goers replied to the thread you are already wrong….
    Oh really? Please explain because I would love to hear how i'm "wrong"? I'm all ears so go on.

I'd say 3/4 of gym goers adhere to most of these rules. It's the few regulars and newbies that ruin it for the rest.

lol says you. All the "noobs" (btw 12 year old boys going through puberty use that word) i've come across have been perfectly fine. I think you guys are being too judgmental and not focusing on your workout. You're also forgetting you and everyone on this post (*COUGH OP*) were newbies at one point so chill and give people a break.

At my Y, you have to be 14 or older, so you aren't correct there. This isn't just this year. We are talking about many past years also. Ie come across many newbies that were fine also. Like I said, it's the few that give the rest a bad name
  • dbmata
    Options
    TO THE OP:

I hope you understand that taking the time to write ALL of those said "rules" out on MFP is a clear and blatant waste of time. Chances are, people will do what they please, even if you don't agree with it.

I'm sorry to burst your bubble but that's just reality. It happens at every gym. If you have an issue with that, I suggest you workout in your own home where your rules will not be broken.

Oh really? Please explain because I would love to hear how i'm "wrong"? I'm all ears so go on.

I'd say 3/4 of gym goers adhere to most of these rules. It's the few regulars and newbies that ruin it for the rest.

lol says you. All the "noobs" (btw 12 year old boys going through puberty use that word) i've come across have been perfectly fine. I think you guys are being too judgmental and not focusing on your workout. You're also forgetting you and everyone on this post (*COUGH OP*) were newbies at one point so chill and give people a break.
    In case I wasn't clear their youngin, if someone's a noob and they step over my barbell when I'm deadlifting, or doing pendlays, it might hit their underbits, on porpoise.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    verptwerp wrote: »
    and ease up on the perfume and cologne ...... thanks in advance !

This, please. It's hard to breathe when you're around. Especially you, AXE. :'(
  • cliffodom1
    cliffodom1 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    sheahughes wrote: »
    Speaking of cardio machines - lower the damn treadmill! It's really not that hard to press the down button at the end of your workout :\

What he said.

• JeffseekingV
    Options
    So how is everyone's gym this year (so far) ?
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    I have an etiquette question (this seems like a good place to post instead of starting new thread).
    I recently started Stronglifts 5x5. I am anything but strong, but I'm working on it ;) Anyway, I usually do it in my basement, but for various scheduling reasons I want to start doing a day or two on my lunch break at our company's fitness center.
    So you say it's perfectly ok to ask someone if you can work in with their set, but wouldn't it be annoying for someone who's benching 150lbs for example to have to work in with me who is benching 60 (sad face)? Like, wouldn't they then have to take off all that weight in between? I would feel stupid even asking someone.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    One thing is to try to work in when they are warming up. Then there isn't as much deloading and loading. but it's no problem to ask to work in anyway. One thing is to load your weight first and they can add theirs on the outside. That way, there's less to load/unload.
  • dbmata
    Options
    and the way I see it, if you're the one working in, you make the weight changes.
  • dbmata
    Options

The Y is a sty. Still.

There were random plates scattered all through the cardio area. Like... seriously?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    TO THE OP:

OP basically posted the "rule board" for almost every gym. Ya, I was a noob once too. On my first day they showed me around the place. Part of showing me around was this wall with gym guidelines on it. They advised I read it and understood it so all users of the gym and an enjoyable experience.

I know...not focusing on my workout sucks. When I get to my gym in the morning there can be members waiting for me to show up so I can unrack equipment for them, or they need me to help them while in the middle of my own. Even though there's about 8 signs in the freeweight area reminding people to put their weight away (because it's apparently a rule or something). Today people had to go hunting-for-dumbells before they could focus on their workout.
  • chuck636
    chuck636 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    One to add...I know heavy weights from certain positions may need to be dropped but stop dramatically throwing your dumbbells just to get noticed lol o,o and not re racking is disrespectful and that eats at me the most, or the guy that pours sweat all over the treadmill and leaves it...wow I have more pet peeves than I thought lol
  • JeffseekingV
    Options

The Y is a sty. Still.

There were random plates scattered all through the cardio area. Like... seriously?

I guess all of those that want us to be nice to the newbies will be happy to rerack all these weights
  • dbmata
    Options
    I did rerack them. Not a single staff member to be found either.

It grates on me.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options

I tried to go after work- not one parking spot open. I need to get back into the 5am routine.

• mr3thirty5
    mr3thirty5 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Totally agree. I need to print these rules and post it at my gym.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    I did rerack them. Not a single staff member to be found either.

It grates on me.

While I was reracking, someone took my bench. I raged on the forums and then got flamed for circuit training
  • dbmata
    Options
    You know we make sport where sport can be had.
  • cliffodom1
    cliffodom1 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I don' t have these problems art my gym. I go to Planet Fitness where everybody is nice.