Define "healthy" food...

Options

Replies

• MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    Then why did you offer. Again, seems disingenuous.

Also...lulz at the google weak google it yourself ploy. You realize that people can see right through that right? Right?
    When did I offer? I didn't. You demanded. There is a difference.
  • prattiger65
    prattiger65 Posts: 1,657 Member
    Options
    Somebody (I don't know who, it's from a book of quotes) once said "Truth, much like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder." Same goes for "healthy food". It's whatever it means to the individual.

For me, for example, today I had homemade hummus w/fresh vegetables - I consider that healthy food. I also had peanut m&m's. I consider that unhealthy food. I had room in my calories for it, but it still serves no useful purpose towards *my* overall health or *my* weight loss efforts. So *for me* and *what I eat*, m&m's are not healthy food.

If someone else thinks m&m's are healthy food for them based on how they look at things, that's fine. I learned a long time ago that I can only live my own life.

What confuses me, however, is the constant battle about it. Do you really care that my gauge *for me* is whether it advances *my* overall health and weight loss efforts, and so for me I think m&m's are not healthy?

I could not care less what you eat or think, until you put it on a forum where people are trying to learn about health and fitness. I want to make sure they hear the other side. Peanut M&M's aren't unhealthy if consumed in the context of a balanced diet.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »
    JoyeII wrote: »
    Calcium, iron, Vitamins A, D, K, E, etc. are naturally occurring parts of nutrition in whole, unprocessed foods. You aren't going to find those quality micronutrients in pizza, ice cream, funnel cakes, candy bars, soda, etc. And, even if you do get some micronutrients in the ingredients used to make those foods, you will also get a huge dose of sodium (implicated in high blood pressure), saturated fats (implicated in cardiovascular diseases) and sugar (which has a whole slew of diet related health issues attributed with it).

A bonus: what sort of education or research do you have to assert this position? I'd love to know.

What's the difference between eating some ice cream or having a yogurt?

Depending on the situation, it can be significant IMO. Comparing some commercial brands of ice-cream with homemade yogurt would yield a good bit of differences, IMO. Homemade yogurt can be loaded with probiotics, added sugar does not have to be as high as in commercial ice-cream, and it is also lower in lactose.

In that case, next we should compare some commercial brands of yogurt with homemade ice cream...because cherry-picking is so persuasive.

dude... what page are you on. That was like, so last hour or two.

wait is ice cream made with a hand crank more healthy than ice cream made with a home machine. What about those roller ball ice cream thingies are they the most healthiest ice cream? If I make ice cream with whole milk or cream does that make one ice cream really extra super dooper healthy what about rock salt vs. ionized salt will my ice cream be more healthier and not get a goiter?

I've seen them make ice cream with liquid nitrogen on Cutthroat Kitchen. That stuff can't be healthy, right?

/sarcasm

• Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Serah87 wrote: »
    No-one is suggesting that a can of coke is as healthy as a bowl of raw kale.

Are you sure? It sure seems like some are.

No....what people are saying is having a can of coke with a bowl of stew, that has veggies and proteins in it, is not considered unhealthy as I met all my macs and micros for the day, if I have room I will fit ice cream or a cookie or whatever.

Some are, but some are saying both are equally heatlhy foods becasue they both can be part of an overall healthy diet. They can't seem to separate the terms.

Well, in that context, then I cannot see that it is incorrect statement.

Niether do I. I just think it's a cop-out.

I'm 300 calories under my goal and zombies are getting ready to chase me. I have the choice of 300 calories of kale before I go or 300 calories of sugar...which do I eat? Sugar...it's faster releasing and keeps me from getting ate by zombies, therefore, sugar is healthier than kale in that instance....BOOM! BOOYAH!!

Totally off point and untrue.

How is it untrue?

• MoiAussi93
    Options
    MoiAussi93 wrote: »
    If you use words like outrageous, you should be able to back them up.

Strong logic!!
    Yes, it is. Thanks.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

Also...lulz at the google weak google it yourself ploy. You realize that people can see right through that right? Right?
    When did I offer? I didn't. You demanded. There is a difference.

I did nothing of the sort, and yes you did.
  • MoiAussi93
    Options
    Yes

No
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    Yes

No

Yes
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19704096/

Added sugars are not inherently bad... excessive added sugars can be bad...
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    What confuses me, however, is the constant battle about it. Do you really care that my gauge *for me* is whether it advances *my* overall health and weight loss efforts, and so for me I think m&m's are not healthy?

I care because you hurt little M&M's feelings he cant help it his candy coating has made him unhealthy and sick. He tries to make up for it by putting a little peanut inside, but he just never gets the credit like his big brother chickpea who gets all the kuddos for being able to go into pita bread
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    If you use words like outrageous, you should be able to back them up.

Strong logic!!
    Yes, it is. Thanks.

I see sensing sarcasm is not a strong point of yours.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    So if I get 500 to 600 calories from ice cream and cookies to fill in my diet, does that make me less healthy than the person that is getting 75% of their calories from fish, rice, and vegetables?

Yes. Just look at the ingredient list.

Where your nutrients, fat, carbs, etc. are coming from do matter.

oh really??? care to elaborate?

so if my macors are 35p/35c/30 fats and I hit them all with eggs, chicken, rice, bread, etc and then filled in rest of day with ice cream and some cookies, you are saying that is an unhealthy day just because I got 500 - 600 from ice cream and cookies...really?

As I said, look at the ingredients. That is, unless you're going with organic or natural. It's not necessarily the food itself that's the problem. Food colorings and artificial flavors? Preservatives and other chemicals they put in a lot of foods? No thank you.

First, all food has "chemicals" so unless you are drinking pure water you are ingesting *gasp* chemiclas.
    You're missing it. If you saw the post I made earlier about the ingredients in Dominoes pizza, maybe it'd be easier for you to understand her point.

That post you made actually made no sense. All you did was list ingredients in a pizza and pick what you thought was unhealthy. Which there was absolutely no reason why it would have been healthy.

If he's referencing the post I think, he posted the ingredients of something like Dominos and then posted the ingredients of his homemade versions. Then went on to explain why his was healthier than the other (IN HIS OPINION)

Exactly. Where he said full-fat mozzarella was bad, but never explained why...

He didn't explain the full fat thing but he explained the other reasons. I'd agree if the cheese contained transfats but other than that, I haven't made enemies of fat
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    At not wasting my time providing links to people who have no genuine interest in them? Actually, I'm pretty good at that.

But I do have a genuine interest.
    If you did, you would research the issue yourself. It's really not that hard. You obviously have internet access. If you don't care enough to research it, why should I do it for you?

I think she was calling your bluff. You claimed to have a "genuine interest", but you didn't.

If you were genuinely interested in anything, you would seek out knowledge on the subject and wouldn't even limit yourself to the Internet, much less a discussion board.

If you do not have enough interest to seek out information on your own, there really is no reason someone else to provide you with it.

If you want to learn, go learn. Nobody can stop you.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    So if I get 500 to 600 calories from ice cream and cookies to fill in my diet, does that make me less healthy than the person that is getting 75% of their calories from fish, rice, and vegetables?

so if my macors are 35p/35c/30 fats and I hit them all with eggs, chicken, rice, bread, etc and then filled in rest of day with ice cream and some cookies, you are saying that is an unhealthy day just because I got 500 - 600 from ice cream and cookies...really?

As I said, look at the ingredients. That is, unless you're going with organic or natural. It's not necessarily the food itself that's the problem. Food colorings and artificial flavors? Preservatives and other chemicals they put in a lot of foods? No thank you.

First, all food has "chemicals" so unless you are drinking pure water you are ingesting *gasp* chemiclas.
    You're missing it. If you saw the post I made earlier about the ingredients in Dominoes pizza, maybe it'd be easier for you to understand her point.

That post you made actually made no sense. All you did was list ingredients in a pizza and pick what you thought was unhealthy. Which there was absolutely no reason why it would have been healthy.

But could you pronounce it? That's what determines unhealthiness.
  • MoiAussi93
    Options
    I see sensing sarcasm is not a strong point of yours.
    Oh, it is.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Serah87 wrote: »
    No-one is suggesting that a can of coke is as healthy as a bowl of raw kale.

Are you sure? It sure seems like some are.

No....what people are saying is having a can of coke with a bowl of stew, that has veggies and proteins in it, is not considered unhealthy as I met all my macs and micros for the day, if I have room I will fit ice cream or a cookie or whatever.

Some are, but some are saying both are equally heatlhy foods becasue they both can be part of an overall healthy diet. They can't seem to separate the terms.

Well, in that context, then I cannot see that it is incorrect statement.

Niether do I. I just think it's a cop-out.

I'm 300 calories under my goal and zombies are getting ready to chase me. I have the choice of 300 calories of kale before I go or 300 calories of sugar...which do I eat? Sugar...it's faster releasing and keeps me from getting ate by zombies, therefore, sugar is healthier than kale in that instance....BOOM! BOOYAH!!

Totally off point and untrue.

How is it untrue?

Zombies are not about to chase him.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »

If he's referencing the post I think, he posted the ingredients of something like Dominos and then posted the ingredients of his homemade versions. Then went on to explain why his was healthier than the other (IN HIS OPINION)

Exactly. Where he said full-fat mozzarella was bad, but never explained why...

He didn't explain the full fat thing but he explained the other reasons. I'd agree if the cheese contained transfats but other than that, I haven't made enemies of fat

There's nothing inherently wrong with fresh, full-fat mozzarella. I understand he doesn't use it so that he can make room for other dietary fats in his pizza, but it isn't unhealthy which is the impression he left earlier.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

It's called ingredients that do not have a place in pizza.

Interesting, I wasn't aware that there was a rule on what belongs in a pizza.

There should be. Pepperoni - NO, pineapple - yes.
This discussion has been closed.