So you want a nice stomach

Options

Replies

• ferdinandthong
    ferdinandthong Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Got a serious question that keep frustrating me out, can i just count my calories and eat whatever i want as long as i ensure calories deficit to get that hot beach body? Example a cheese burger every day (which is not more than 1000kcal per day)
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Got a serious question that keep frustrating me out, can i just count my calories and eat whatever i want as long as i ensure calories deficit to get that hot beach body? Example a cheese burger every day (which is not more than 1000kcal per day)

To an extent you can. You need appropriate macronutrients and micronutrients as well as an appropriate calorie intake.

This means you can't just have a piece of cheesecake and call it good for the day. Your calorie intake would be too low, which over the long term would lead to the body eventually using more lean mass (so even if you reached your weight goal you would have more fat than you would like). You also would not be eating enough protein to help retain your lean mass, which once again leads to poor body composition at your goal weight. You'll also be missing out on the vitamins and minerals you need to simply be healthy. Taking vitamins to try to make up for that will still leave you deficient.

You could eat a burger, Pop-Tart, cheesecake, pizza combined with a day full of vegetables, lean meats and fruit that adds up to appropriate calories and macronutrients for you. Many successful people make sure to include pizza or ice cream in their calories and macros because they know that you don't have to deprive yourself to lose weight or be healthy.

So, you could just eat a burger every day, but if your calorie intake is too low and you aren't getting appropriate macros and micros your health may suffer. OR you could eat a burger every few days combined with other foods that fit your calorie, macronutrient, and micronutrient needs while still losing weight, enjoying food and providing your body with what it needs.
  • RegularR0b
    RegularR0b Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    But seriously, with diet and exercise I have gone down to 100lbs, size 0, and still had the pooch in my belly from having birthed four children. Hell, I got back to this size after every pregnancy, (although it took longer every time). Don't promise things.

And don't forget to tell women past menopause that they will have to work 3x as hard to lose weight, and 2x as hard to maintain a weight, as they did when they were younger.

Actually I can make promises and I will make promises. I promise that if you have enough muscle and your body fat is low enough you will have a flat stomach. Size 0 means nothing. I'm a size 12 and have visible abs. The absolute lowest size I could get is an 8.

Reading everything you wrote I can tell that your problem is actually that you don't have much muscle. If you went to the gym and lifted like a fitness model or even a man instead of just "exercising" you would find that combined with an appropriate calorie and macro intake you would start losing fat and it would actually be less work to maintain it at the end.

People have a hard time maintaining their weight because dieting burns fat and muscle. In the end they are the number they want on the scale, but they've lost lean mass and that's the key to looking great as well as maintaining their weight. If you actually followed my advice in the first post you may find that you'll weight more or wear a size 2, but you'll look better. Lifting and appropriate diet are the key to getting a flat belly.

Truer words have never been spoken.
  • kamron120
    kamron120 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am beating myself up trying to get that 6 pack back....If I was a pear or an hourglass that'd be fine....I'm a triangle--wide up top and tapering downward....I need help... :neutral_face:
  • usmcmp
    Options
    kamron120 wrote: »
    I am beating myself up trying to get that 6 pack back....If I was a pear or an hourglass that'd be fine....I'm a triangle--wide up top and tapering downward....I need help... :neutral_face:

I gave you all the help you need in the first post. Your build has nothing to do with how easy or hard it will be to get a 6 pack. Lift heavy, eat appropriately.
  • sweet_lovegirl
    sweet_lovegirl Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thank you ..
  • Fat_Bottomed_Girl
    Fat_Bottomed_Girl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Yep, thank you! :)
  • shelleygold
    shelleygold Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering if anyone here finds that they retain water which causes weight fluctuations? Also, what foods tend to contribute to this process? I find, for example, that if I consume bread, I not only feel bloated, my weight tends to increase and then stay at that increased spot for a day or two. I would appreciate hearing about other peoples' experiences. Thanks
  • usmcmp
    Options
    I was just wondering if anyone here finds that they retain water which causes weight fluctuations? Also, what foods tend to contribute to this process? I find, for example, that if I consume bread, I not only feel bloated, my weight tends to increase and then stay at that increased spot for a day or two. I would appreciate hearing about other peoples' experiences. Thanks

You should probably start your own thread asking this question to not derail this thread.

Yes, there are some foods that cause bloating or water retention. It has to do with how our body breaks down the food and the gas released from that process. It can vary from person to person. Some fruits, vegetables, milk, carbohydrates, beans and soft drinks can cause bloating. It doesn't impact body fat, but it can cause your stomach to look distended.
  • Fraser2600
    Fraser2600 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Ok, the op makes complete sense to me even though I am very new to learning how to appropriately lose weight but I have a question...I am about 70-80lbs overweight & have a lot of weight in my midsection...my original goal was to lose the 80 pounds & be down to 140 but honestly I wouldn't mind weighing 10-15lbs more & having more muscle, especially after reading this thread:) So my question is should I focus on cardio to lose some of the excess weight 1st & then switch to lifting for the lean muscle mass since I am assuming that heavy lifting will not decrease the weight as quickly? I have just started this week & have been doing strength training for 15min (not heavy) & then doing the elliptical for 20-30 min after.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Fraser2600 wrote: »
    Ok, the op makes complete sense to me even though I am very new to learning how to appropriately lose weight but I have a question...I am about 70-80lbs overweight & have a lot of weight in my midsection...my original goal was to lose the 80 pounds & be down to 140 but honestly I wouldn't mind weighing 10-15lbs more & having more muscle, especially after reading this thread:) So my question is should I focus on cardio to lose some of the excess weight 1st & then switch to lifting for the lean muscle mass since I am assuming that heavy lifting will not decrease the weight as quickly? I have just started this week & have been doing strength training for 15min (not heavy) & then doing the elliptical for 20-30 min after.

Start lifting right away to preserve lean mass. Find a program and add some cardio in after or on off days. Many beginners enjoy New Rules of Lifting or Stronglifts.

You may make some beginner gains for lean mass, but on a deficit you won't be gaining much if any lean mass. The goal of lifting at this point is to prevent the loss of lean mass that occurs during dieting. It's easier to keep the muscle than it is to build it. Don't put off lifting. Starting early pays off.
  • Fraser2600
    Options

Start lifting right away to preserve lean mass. Find a program and add some cardio in after or on off days. Many beginners enjoy New Rules of Lifting or Stronglifts.

You may make some beginner gains for lean mass, but on a deficit you won't be gaining much if any lean mass. The goal of lifting at this point is to prevent the loss of lean mass that occurs during dieting. It's easier to keep the muscle than it is to build it. Don't put off lifting. Starting early pays off.

Thanks so much for the info:) I will look into one of those programs you suggested. My next question about that would be will I need to join a gym to make them work? I have been using 8lb weights this week but I do have a bowflex at home...not sure if it would be enough or not?
  • usmcmp
    Options

Thanks so much for the info:) I will look into one of those programs you suggested. My next question about that would be will I need to join a gym to make them work? I have been using 8lb weights this week but I do have a bowflex at home...not sure if it would be enough or not?

You may be able to do some things with the bowflex. Look into You Are Your Own Gym. It's all stuff you can do without weights. Eventually you may find that going to the gym makes sense, but you can make progress without it.
  • jetrok
    jetrok Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Fraser2600
    Options

You may be able to do some things with the bowflex. Look into You Are Your Own Gym. It's all stuff you can do without weights. Eventually you may find that going to the gym makes sense, but you can make progress without it.

I will check out You Are Your Own Gym & consider the gym for later. Thanks for your help:)
  • RunningFree86
    Options
    Thank you for the great advice!!!!
  • SheShe0028
    SheShe0028 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You Look Fabulous!!! Thanks for sharing your story!!!!
  • andysport1
    andysport1 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    As you answered Fraser question maybe you'll answer mine.
    I used to do Triathlon and intend to return popped 60lbs on in 10 months oops
    So it's coming off, I would like maybe 4 out of a six pack
    My leg, shoulder and arm muscles are generally quite defined so I am aware I need to do a little extra so as when I have lost the excess my abs show.
    I hate weights, I like classes, bodypump, circuits, spinning

If your replies say "go lift weights" I will sooner not have abs
  • shelleygold
    Options

• shelleygold
    Options
    usmcmp: Didn't think people would find it difficult to follow more than one conversation at a time. Seems a bit limiting to me but you have posted over 5000 messages so I imagine you are a pro in this forum. Not very welcoming however.