Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    whole foods...

in relation to what…???

I love the people that just drive by with a two word response that makes no sense...

It seems that rather than defining "healthy foods", a lot of people are giving examples of foods that fit their definition of healthy. This confounds the issue because often the examples do not actually exemplify the definition they use.

When I think "healthy foods", I think of foods that have been identified as strongly correlated with greater longevity and lower incidence of disease in humans. I use it as a general guideline for menu planning, rather than case by case for individual food decisions.

I can only speak for myself, but I think of healthy food as that which is statistically most likely to improve my health. I don't try to rank every possible pair of foods or anything, I just try to prioritize "healthy" food and eat less useful foods in moderation. And yes, I make sure to meet my macros every day, they are not mutually exclusive. If I find I am meaningfully short on fat one day, I will try to find a fat source that has been linked to longevity or disease prevention, and if that's not feasible, I will at least try to find something that is neutral.

By the way, I am specifically not giving examples because I don't want to confound the definition. I have been doing as much research as I can, but I realize that I haven't seen all the available evidence yet, so while I am satisfied enough with my current knowledge to make dietary changes for myself, I'm not convinced enough to assert my opinions as fact, or as a completely balanced viewpoint.

As it relates to whole foods, they probably tend to fit my definition, as the human nutrition textbook I am currently reading describes the synergistic benefits of phytochemicals, which are lost when nutrients are stripped and then restored in isolation, and the loss of certain nutrients that occurs with different types of processing.

I still don't know the full risks and benefits of each type of processing (I.e. relative risks of organism growth vs nutrient depletion) for each type of food, so I can't say with certainty, but I think that eating most plant foods whole, shortly after harvest (to minimize time for bacteria growth) probably maximizes the risk/reward ratio.

I'm referring to foods that are safe to eat raw, by the way. I don't recommend eating raw meat or potatoes. Even in the case of foods that must be processed for safety, though, the minimum amount of processing required to make it safe would likely be optimal, from a nutritional standpoint.

You didn't want a two word answer. Be careful what you wish for

ETA: for those of you with "long winded but oddly insecure know-it-all" on your bingo cards, you're welcome.

you say that you don't "rank" your foods based on priority but then go on to say that you hit your macros. Isn't that what hitting macros is; i.e. ranking foods for your particular goals...?

I would also be curious as to what some of these foods are that promote longevity....
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Also reminds me of my approach to buying and selling metals. I'll buy a troy ounce from someone, but if they don't know enough to expect a troy ounce, I'll sell them a regular ounce at the troy price.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Sadly, I don't believe I ever saw the minitramp thread.

oh man you missed out on that one..

OP - claimed that they dropped like ten pounds just from bouncing on a mini tramp for like four weeks....
  • ndj1979
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »
    I'm playing Dragon Age, lol.

Sold Destiny on Ebay, game was a redundant pile of *kitten*. My wife got me Farcry 4 for X-mas... so as soon as DA is finished I'm moving onto it.

DA is freaking insane..I am like 20+ hours into it ..the only thing I don't like about it is that you can't freaking toggle the weapons when you are fighting…freaking lame...

They put some serious side quest and *kitten* in there …

I just like Destiny when I feel like shooting stuff ….LOL …

I am going to guess you two already played Watch Dogs? Maybe beat the game?

Yea man, I got my PS4 on launch day so I've played most games (Huge nerd, no shame either). My wife is a trauma nurse, (until baby comes) so I'm able to get a lot of free alone time to relax and unwind and my staple has always been gaming.... Sony systems and PC gaming... F Microsoft.

Watch Dogs was cool. Couldn't imagine any replay-ability so I ended up E-baying it as well. Luckily no GOOD games come out until March, so I get to catch up on a lot of games I might of missed.

I am a gamer to. I now finally figure out how to exercise and eat better with it.

My brother has the PS4. I like Watch Dogs but it does not compare to GTA V. I played that game for ten hours straight at the end to beat it because the missions got better and better and I could not put it down till the sun came out.

When I was sideline with an injury from work after surgery. I played so much Halo 3. It was like 10 hour days everyday LOL. If you think people on MFP are interesting the people on the online gaming world are even better.

I agree, GTA is pretty amazing for how far it's comes since it FIRST launched.

LOL... online is definitely interesting. I love playing Battlefield and having a 15 year old tell me how he's going to find me and whip me because I stole the tank and left him with the ATV, lol.

GTA is going to be my next conquest...I think I also want to get Madden, because football..

and yes I remember old school GTA with the overhead view and little stick man looking guy running around...LOL
  • dbmata
    Options

OP - claimed that they dropped like ten pounds just from bouncing on a mini tramp for like four weeks....
    That's an odd way to describe dating.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    whole foods...

in relation to what…???

I love the people that just drive by with a two word response that makes no sense...

It seems that rather than defining "healthy foods", a lot of people are giving examples of foods that fit their definition of healthy. This confounds the issue because often the examples do not actually exemplify the definition they use.

When I think "healthy foods", I think of foods that have been identified as strongly correlated with greater longevity and lower incidence of disease in humans. I use it as a general guideline for menu planning, rather than case by case for individual food decisions.

I can only speak for myself, but I think of healthy food as that which is statistically most likely to improve my health. I don't try to rank every possible pair of foods or anything, I just try to prioritize "healthy" food and eat less useful foods in moderation. And yes, I make sure to meet my macros every day, they are not mutually exclusive. If I find I am meaningfully short on fat one day, I will try to find a fat source that has been linked to longevity or disease prevention, and if that's not feasible, I will at least try to find something that is neutral.

By the way, I am specifically not giving examples because I don't want to confound the definition. I have been doing as much research as I can, but I realize that I haven't seen all the available evidence yet, so while I am satisfied enough with my current knowledge to make dietary changes for myself, I'm not convinced enough to assert my opinions as fact, or as a completely balanced viewpoint.

As it relates to whole foods, they probably tend to fit my definition, as the human nutrition textbook I am currently reading describes the synergistic benefits of phytochemicals, which are lost when nutrients are stripped and then restored in isolation, and the loss of certain nutrients that occurs with different types of processing.

I still don't know the full risks and benefits of each type of processing (I.e. relative risks of organism growth vs nutrient depletion) for each type of food, so I can't say with certainty, but I think that eating most plant foods whole, shortly after harvest (to minimize time for bacteria growth) probably maximizes the risk/reward ratio.

I'm referring to foods that are safe to eat raw, by the way. I don't recommend eating raw meat or potatoes. Even in the case of foods that must be processed for safety, though, the minimum amount of processing required to make it safe would likely be optimal, from a nutritional standpoint.

ETA: for those of you with "long winded but oddly insecure know-it-all" on your bingo cards, you're welcome.

you say that you don't "rank" your foods based on priority but then go on to say that you hit your macros. Isn't that what hitting macros is; i.e. ranking foods for your particular goals...?

I would also be curious as to what some of these foods are that promote longevity....

I'd like to know even one.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

Sold Destiny on Ebay, game was a redundant pile of *kitten*. My wife got me Farcry 4 for X-mas... so as soon as DA is finished I'm moving onto it.

DA is freaking insane..I am like 20+ hours into it ..the only thing I don't like about it is that you can't freaking toggle the weapons when you are fighting…freaking lame...

Yea man, I got my PS4 on launch day so I've played most games (Huge nerd, no shame either). My wife is a trauma nurse, (until baby comes) so I'm able to get a lot of free alone time to relax and unwind and my staple has always been gaming.... Sony systems and PC gaming... F Microsoft.

Watch Dogs was cool. Couldn't imagine any replay-ability so I ended up E-baying it as well. Luckily no GOOD games come out until March, so I get to catch up on a lot of games I might of missed.

I am a gamer to. I now finally figure out how to exercise and eat better with it.

My brother has the PS4. I like Watch Dogs but it does not compare to GTA V. I played that game for ten hours straight at the end to beat it because the missions got better and better and I could not put it down till the sun came out.

When I was sideline with an injury from work after surgery. I played so much Halo 3. It was like 10 hour days everyday LOL. If you think people on MFP are interesting the people on the online gaming world are even better.

LOL... online is definitely interesting. I love playing Battlefield and having a 15 year old tell me how he's going to find me and whip me because I stole the tank and left him with the ATV, lol.

GTA is going to be my next conquest...I think I also want to get Madden, because football..

and yes I remember old school GTA with the overhead view and little stick man looking guy running around...LOL

That's the only GTA I've played. Apparently, there have been some minor tweaks and improvements to the franchise since then.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »

That's an odd way to describe dating.

bahahahahahah

a mini trampoline fool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    jofjltncb6 wrote: »

That's the only GTA I've played. Apparently, there have been some minor tweaks and improvements to the franchise since then.

I think "slight" would be the understatement of the century ...:)
  • dbmata
    Options
    whole foods...

in relation to what…???

I'd like to know even one.

Foods with preservatives in them, obviously.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options

No time to catch up now. Go straight to 5. I did like 3. You can start there since it was the first one that change from birds eye view.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Vice City and Liberty City were great, but if you are going to go to an old one, play Vice City, and then buy the freaking sound track. That one is just a whole ball of epic.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Vice City and Liberty City were great, but if you are going to go to an old one, play Vice City, and then buy the freaking sound track. That one is just a whole ball of epic.

yea, when that came out on PS2 my roommate and I would get like a case of beer and play it straight through the weekend...oh the good old days of college...drinking, gaming, and banging...
  • yopeeps025
    Options

They were better than 4 but not 3 and 5. Not even close. How can I forget San Andreas. That one was tied with V. Might be a tab bit better. Lets just stay every morning in that game I started at the gym LOL.
  • yopeeps025
    Options

yea, when that came out on PS2 my roommate and I would get like a case of beer and play it straight through the weekend...oh the good old days of college...drinking, gaming, and banging...

Those days can still be the same with a SO. Kind of.

• dbmata
    Options

Those days can still be the same with a SO. Kind of.

I've only cut down on the gaming... since it's like my job, and I generally hate it now. lol.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

No time to catch up now. Go straight to 5. I did like 3. You can start there since it was the first one that change from birds eye view.

I stopped gaming cold turkey about...uh...wow...a long time ago. I had a slight moderation problem that was going to lead to me losing half of my assets and not seeing my kids as often. One of these days, maybe when the youngest leaves the house, I'm getting back into it.

Maybe I'll warm up by starting here: http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/2015/01/06/internet-archive-adds-oregon-trail-boulder-dash-and-2384-other-ms-dos-games-to-play-for-free/
  • dbmata
    Options
    I was just looking at it, couldn't get any of them to work in the browser.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    I was just looking at it, couldn't get any of them to work in the browser.

I won't even try now...because day job and aforementioned moderation problems.

I once built a MAME emulator control panel for three players w/ joystick and seven buttons each...and two spinners (from X and Y axis rollers from a deconstructed mouse). Had about 7000 games for it. Never built the full cabinet for it because the kids and I spent too much time playing it in prototype form. It's still in my basement, but the logistics of getting it working again is daunting. Would more likely just buy a full working system.

Damn you guys for getting me thinking about this stuff again.
  • dbmata
    Options
    do what I did, get a job in the industry. You'll almost never be able to play a game for fun in your life again.
This discussion has been closed.