Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    whole foods...

in relation to what…???

I love the people that just drive by with a two word response that makes no sense...

Compared to half foods obviously. Have a whole cake instead of only half of one.

hmmm I prefer a whole cake….
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Anything that says healthy on the package, duh.

well damn ..page 35 and we finally figure it out!!!!!!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Anything that says healthy on the package, duh.

well damn ..page 35 and we finally figure it out!!!!!!
    Rocket surgeon in session, please see my secretary.

• yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    PRMinx wrote: »
    JoRocka wrote: »
    MrM27 wrote: »
    So if I get 500 to 600 calories from ice cream and cookies to fill in my diet, does that make me less healthy than the person that is getting 75% of their calories from fish, rice, and vegetables?

Yes. Just look at the ingredient list.

Where your nutrients, fat, carbs, etc. are coming from do matter.

oh really??? care to elaborate?

so if my macors are 35p/35c/30 fats and I hit them all with eggs, chicken, rice, bread, etc and then filled in rest of day with ice cream and some cookies, you are saying that is an unhealthy day just because I got 500 - 600 from ice cream and cookies...really?

As I said, look at the ingredients. That is, unless you're going with organic or natural. It's not necessarily the food itself that's the problem. Food colorings and artificial flavors? Preservatives and other chemicals they put in a lot of foods? No thank you.

First, all food has "chemicals" so unless you are drinking pure water you are ingesting *gasp* chemiclas.
    You're missing it. If you saw the post I made earlier about the ingredients in Dominoes pizza, maybe it'd be easier for you to understand her point.

That post you made actually made no sense. All you did was list ingredients in a pizza and pick what you thought was unhealthy. Which there was absolutely no reason why it would have been healthy.
    It's called ingredients that do not have a place in pizza.

Interesting, I wasn't aware that there was a rule on what belongs in a pizza.

There should be. Pepperoni - NO, pineapple - yes.

you're saying pepperoni doesn't belong on a pizza- but pineapple does?

At no point- outside of sauce- does fruit belong on a pizza.

Ever.

Yuck. no.

meat- cheese- sauce.
    yes.
    fruit? nope nope nope.

LOL. I like pineapple on my pizza. With pepperoni.

*duck*

Hawaiian pizza anyone?
  • yopeeps025
    Options
    I'm playing Dragon Age, lol.

Sold Destiny on Ebay, game was a redundant pile of *kitten*. My wife got me Farcry 4 for X-mas... so as soon as DA is finished I'm moving onto it.

DA is freaking insane..I am like 20+ hours into it ..the only thing I don't like about it is that you can't freaking toggle the weapons when you are fighting…freaking lame...

They put some serious side quest and *kitten* in there …

I just like Destiny when I feel like shooting stuff ….LOL …

I am going to guess you two already played Watch Dogs? Maybe beat the game?

• yopeeps025
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I do not think I have ever seeing a thread become 35 pages in one day. How much of that actually pertains to the OP is like a fourth of it. I think the arguments people are having should be settle in a

Jay___Steel_Cage_Match_by_darkconstellation.jpg

The one debate that is the best was someone telling Sara to find her knowledge. You have no idea how much I laughed at that since this comes from the used to say "go see a doctor for every comment" person.

• royaldrea
    royaldrea Posts: 259 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    royaldrea wrote: »
    Oh man...this has really exploded since I opened this. I will say this - I believe that the premise that all foods are equally healthy, depending on what the person's goals are, is largely based upon whether that person is aiming to lose or gain weight. It seems that a lot of persons who are saying that there is no food that is inherently healthy or unhealthy, are using this as their rationale.

If you do not use "weight loss" as a method of defining the relative healthiness of foods (so therefore CICO and to a certain extent IIFYM are removed from the equation) then I think you can safely say that some foods are healthier than others, by defining healthiness by macro- and micro-nutrient density and general benefit of eating that food (larger picture rather than individual - yes you may have gout and may not be able to eat red meat, but most persons can eat red meat without ill-effects, and we can assess the food by the way it will affect the average person).

If I eat 1000 calories of Twinkies, I won't gain any more weight than I will if I eat 1000 calories of chicken, avocado and sweet potatoes. However, outside of the weight-loss component, most people would have to agree that eating the balanced meal which hits most macronutrient groups and includes some micronutrients, is healthier than the meal of Twinkies.

This of course does not mean that you should never eat Twinkies, or even that you should never eat a 1000-calorie meal of Twinkies. Just that by using the above definition of health (which was requested by the OP) a meal of Twinkies is less healthy than a balanced meal containing more than one macro and several beneficial micros.

OK - but who just eats a meal full of Twinkies? Why is that even a comparison?????

This thread is huge, terrible and epic and is making my head hurt!! Wow.

I don't know how to properly answer your second question, sir. I thought it was self-evident. It wasn't intended as a straw-man argument. I was actually conceding the CICO theory re: weight loss, while responding to the OPs request to provide a definition of healthy food.

And why do you think that nobody eats a meal full of Twinkies??? Not been fat enough to eat a box full of snack food I guess...or a tub of ice cream in one sitting. Or a huge serving of fries and cheese. All of these would be defined as meals. *Each of these would likely come in to close to 1000 calories. I'm sure you're not suggesting that you can't have more than 3 meals a day...

I myself have eaten 3 cupcakes for lunch...or a huge slice of cake, because that is all I want, and I love cake more than the average fat kid. Is this concept really what is causing you concern?

*ETA
  • ndj1979
    Options
    yopeeps025 wrote: »

Sold Destiny on Ebay, game was a redundant pile of *kitten*. My wife got me Farcry 4 for X-mas... so as soon as DA is finished I'm moving onto it.

DA is freaking insane..I am like 20+ hours into it ..the only thing I don't like about it is that you can't freaking toggle the weapons when you are fighting…freaking lame...

i have not played that ...I just got PS4 for myself this Christmas after being out of gaming for a bit...
  • goddessofawesome
    goddessofawesome Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    LOL that this thread is still going on.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    In again for the third time.....got 2 Bingo's yesterday!! LOL
  • yopeeps025
    Options

i have not played that ...I just got PS4 for myself this Christmas after being out of gaming for a bit...

And Destiny. Bungie F that up. They should have never left Halo.
  • ndj1979
    Options

And Destiny. Bungie F that up. They should have never left Halo.

the story line pretty much blows...but it is fine to shoot the living hell out of stuff..

honestly, I have not touched it since I got Dragon Age...
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    So if I get 500 to 600 calories from ice cream and cookies to fill in my diet, does that make me less healthy than the person that is getting 75% of their calories from fish, rice, and vegetables?

Yes. Just look at the ingredient list.

Where your nutrients, fat, carbs, etc. are coming from do matter.

oh really??? care to elaborate?

so if my macors are 35p/35c/30 fats and I hit them all with eggs, chicken, rice, bread, etc and then filled in rest of day with ice cream and some cookies, you are saying that is an unhealthy day just because I got 500 - 600 from ice cream and cookies...really?

As I said, look at the ingredients. That is, unless you're going with organic or natural. It's not necessarily the food itself that's the problem. Food colorings and artificial flavors? Preservatives and other chemicals they put in a lot of foods? No thank you.

First, all food has "chemicals" so unless you are drinking pure water you are ingesting *gasp* chemiclas.
    You're missing it. If you saw the post I made earlier about the ingredients in Dominoes pizza, maybe it'd be easier for you to understand her point.

That post you made actually made no sense. All you did was list ingredients in a pizza and pick what you thought was unhealthy. Which there was absolutely no reason why it would have been healthy.
    It's called ingredients that do not have a place in pizza.

Interesting, I wasn't aware that there was a rule on what belongs in a pizza.

There should be. Pepperoni - NO, pineapple - yes.

you're saying pepperoni doesn't belong on a pizza- but pineapple does?

At no point- outside of sauce- does fruit belong on a pizza.

Ever.

Yuck. no.

meat- cheese- sauce.
    yes.
    fruit? nope nope nope.

LOL. I like pineapple on my pizza. With pepperoni.

*duck*

Hawaiian pizza anyone?

Hawaiian pizza is okay, but I prefer Italian sausage, pineapple and onion. Adding banana peppers and/or mushrooms is cool, but not required. Adding pepperoni will ruin it.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Detox
    Cleanse
    MFP is so mean!
    Dr. Oz
    Dr. Mercola
    Lolstig
    Taubes
    Sugar is the DEBBIL!
    Carbs make you fat
    Fat makes you fat
    HCG
    Rasberry Ketones
    Garcinia Cambogia
    Green Tea Extract
    Chemicals are bad
    Organic is the only way to go
    If I can't pronounce it, it's bad for me
    CICO doesn't work for me
    You MUST eat clean

Jof, did I get the blackout in one post? I can't remember.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Detox
    Cleanse
    MFP is so mean!
    Dr. Oz
    Dr. Mercola
    Lolstig
    Taubes
    Sugar is the DEBBIL!
    Carbs make you fat
    Fat makes you fat
    HCG
    Rasberry Ketones
    Garcinia Cambogia
    Green Tea Extract
    Chemicals are bad
    CICO doesn't work for me
    You MUST eat clean

You forgot:

Baking soda is toxic
    Mini trampolines can make you lose 5 pounds a day!

And, my new favorite,

If it has a commercial, it's unhealthy
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    whole foods...

in relation to what…???

I love the people that just drive by with a two word response that makes no sense...

It seems that rather than defining "healthy foods", a lot of people are giving examples of foods that fit their definition of healthy. This confounds the issue because often the examples do not actually exemplify the definition they use.

When I think "healthy foods", I think of foods that have been identified as strongly correlated with greater longevity and lower incidence of disease in humans. I use it as a general guideline for menu planning, rather than case by case for individual food decisions.

I can only speak for myself, but I think of healthy food as that which is statistically most likely to improve my health. I don't try to rank every possible pair of foods or anything, I just try to prioritize "healthy" food and eat less useful foods in moderation. And yes, I make sure to meet my macros every day, they are not mutually exclusive. If I find I am meaningfully short on fat one day, I will try to find a fat source that has been linked to longevity or disease prevention, and if that's not feasible, I will at least try to find something that is neutral.

By the way, I am specifically not giving examples because I don't want to confound the definition. I have been doing as much research as I can, but I realize that I haven't seen all the available evidence yet, so while I am satisfied enough with my current knowledge to make dietary changes for myself, I'm not convinced enough to assert my opinions as fact, or as a completely balanced viewpoint.

As it relates to whole foods, they probably tend to fit my definition, as the human nutrition textbook I am currently reading describes the synergistic benefits of phytochemicals, which are lost when nutrients are stripped and then restored in isolation, and the loss of certain nutrients that occurs with different types of processing.

I still don't know the full risks and benefits of each type of processing (I.e. relative risks of organism growth vs nutrient depletion) for each type of food, so I can't say with certainty, but I think that eating most plant foods whole, shortly after harvest (to minimize time for bacteria growth) probably maximizes the risk/reward ratio.

I'm referring to foods that are safe to eat raw, by the way. I don't recommend eating raw meat or potatoes. Even in the case of foods that must be processed for safety, though, the minimum amount of processing required to make it safe would likely be optimal, from a nutritional standpoint.

You didn't want a two word answer. Be careful what you wish for

ETA: for those of you with "long winded but oddly insecure know-it-all" on your bingo cards, you're welcome.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Detox
    Cleanse
    MFP is so mean!
    Dr. Oz
    Dr. Mercola
    Lolstig
    Taubes
    Sugar is the DEBBIL!
    Carbs make you fat
    Fat makes you fat
    HCG
    Rasberry Ketones
    Garcinia Cambogia
    Green Tea Extract
    Chemicals are bad
    CICO doesn't work for me
    You MUST eat clean

BINGO! again...woot woot!
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Detox
    Cleanse
    MFP is so mean!
    Dr. Oz
    Dr. Mercola
    Lolstig
    Taubes
    Sugar is the DEBBIL!
    Carbs make you fat
    Fat makes you fat
    HCG
    Rasberry Ketones
    Garcinia Cambogia
    Green Tea Extract
    Chemicals are bad
    CICO doesn't work for me
    You MUST eat clean

You forgot:

Baking soda is toxic

And, my new favorite,

Don't forget KFC chicken isn't realy chicken
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    adowe wrote: »
    Detox
    Cleanse
    MFP is so mean!
    Dr. Oz
    Dr. Mercola
    Lolstig
    Taubes
    Sugar is the DEBBIL!
    Carbs make you fat
    Fat makes you fat
    HCG
    Rasberry Ketones
    Garcinia Cambogia
    Green Tea Extract
    Chemicals are bad
    CICO doesn't work for me
    You MUST eat clean

You forgot:

Baking soda is toxic

And, my new favorite,

YES! How could I have forgotten that gem?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    adowe wrote: »
    Detox
    Cleanse
    MFP is so mean!
    Dr. Oz
    Dr. Mercola
    Lolstig
    Taubes
    Sugar is the DEBBIL!
    Carbs make you fat
    Fat makes you fat
    HCG
    Rasberry Ketones
    Garcinia Cambogia
    Green Tea Extract
    Chemicals are bad
    CICO doesn't work for me
    You MUST eat clean

You forgot:

Baking soda is toxic

And, my new favorite,

YES! How could I have forgotten that gem?

I brought up Sodium Bicarbonate and how it makes chicken toxic non-food yesterday. You guys need to keep up.
This discussion has been closed.