People just don't get it...

Options

Replies

• blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    It seems to me that you are frustrated by their lack of support more than anything, and that is something I can understand.

I also think you should have the right to decline to go to a restaurant that you do not want to go to because the benefits of going don't outweigh the negatives. You can always invite that group on a different day to go to a restaurant that would meet your nutritional needs while you're at this stage of your training. Just like if you're at the bar with friends you should have the right to say no to having a drink.

If we want to eat something unhealthy, that's fine, but why should we have to eat something high calorie if we don't want to?
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    beavislong wrote: »
    My friends were all going to White Castle today(insert any restaurant on any given day) and were giving me grief for not joining them. I looked at the nutrtition and was like no way. It is horrible there. I can eat my homemade low sodium soup, my veggies and my orange and have 5 times as much food for less than the calories of two sliders not to mention the nutrition benefits. They are like well you can run an extra few miles tonight. Yes, I could but I already have 9 miles planned as a part of my marathon training.

Sorry just ranting. Stay vigilant friends!

Odd because usually marathoners burn so many calories, they can end up eating what they want and not worry about it. But eating White Castle before you run might affect you though. In performance, not weight
  • Muddy_Yogi
    Muddy_Yogi Posts: 1,459 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation...You could just admit you have no will power.
  • beavislong
    beavislong Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    DjinnMarie wrote: »
    I doubt a place like White Castle will mind if you bring your homemade lunch along. No reason not to go and be sociable. Non fast food places tend to be more strict, but often have soup and salads as well.

True and I have done that buy my lunch today needed microwaved and I looked at White Castles menu and didn't see anything that I felt would fit into my nutritional goals today.

When I get to maintenance mode it will be much easier to go out to eat and stay within my boundaries.

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Exactly! You realize you're screwing yourself up and so you decide to take care of yourself instead, and people will then work very hard to sabotage and derail you and destroy all your hard work.

I got rid of some "friends" who were trying to do that to me in another situation. They were all happy with me when I was in an abusive relationship, but when I got rid of that loser and started dating Phil, and we got serious, they started being @$$hats, dogging on him, uninviting him from things, etc. The man who has been a wonderful part of my life and done right by me in every way, they wanted me to get rid of him. He's very sweet and a people pleaser... there's no rational reason for it. So I got rid of these "friends" instead and now Phil and I are happily married. *fist pump*

Most of my friends have learned by now that if I say I am not eating fast food or junk, I will not be moved. If they insist that the earth will explode if we don't all go to the grease pit, and I'm in a group where I can't bail on them, then I will order a cup of coffee. Period. Why are people whack like this??? It's so much more fun when Gothchiq is fat, because then we can tell her how she needs to lose weight, oh but when she does just that, we want to get her fat again so we can have someone to be skinnier than. NOPE NOPE NOPE so much nope.
  • StephSnyder14
    Options
    My friends were all going to White Castle today(insert any restaurant on any given day) and were giving me grief for not joining them. I looked at the nutrtition and was like no way. It is horrible there. I can eat my homemade low sodium soup, my veggies and my orange and have 5 times as much food for less than the calories of two sliders not to mention the nutrition benefits. They are like well you can run an extra few miles tonight. Yes, I could but I already have 9 miles planned as a part of my marathon training.

Sorry just ranting. Stay vigilant friends!

I have a coworker like that! He totally put a can of chocolate covered butter rum pecans on my desk and walked away! *kitten*!
  • DjinnMarie
    DjinnMarie Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    DjinnMarie wrote: »
    I doubt a place like White Castle will mind if you bring your homemade lunch along. No reason not to go and be sociable. Non fast food places tend to be more strict, but often have soup and salads as well.

True and I have done that buy my lunch today needed microwaved and I looked at White Castles menu and didn't see anything that I felt would fit into my nutritional goals today.

When I get to maintenance mode it will be much easier to go out to eat and stay within my boundaries.

Microwave before you go? Get a real thermos brand thermos. It stays hot all day! Best investment ever.
  • TMLPatrick
    TMLPatrick Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Whiteys is so nasty..... it makes you feel terrible for at least a day.... its only good when drunk.
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    I see what others are saying, but if these are your "good" friends and you spend additional time with them, it's not a social issue. And I don't think you should have to suck it up and just go sit with them or have a salad (nothing more miserable than a side salad from a fast food restaurant).

Just tell them you appreciate the invite but you can't. When they joke about you running extra miles, joke back.

You don't have to change your habits. But in their defense, chances are that they invite you because they think they'll look like jerks if they don't extend an invite to you. Once a week Make a counter suggestion of a place where you know you can eat right and they can eat what they like as well.
  • DjinnMarie
    Options
    terar21 wrote: »
    I see what others are saying, but if these are your "good" friends and you spend additional time with them, it's not a social issue. And I don't think you should have to suck it up and just go sit with them or have a salad (nothing more miserable than a side salad from a fast food restaurant).

Just tell them you appreciate the invite but you can't. When they joke about you running extra miles, joke back.

You don't have to change your habits. But in their defense, chances are that they invite you because they think they'll look like jerks if they don't extend an invite to you. Once a week Make a counter suggestion of a place where you know you can eat right and they can eat what they like as well.

This. It could be worse, they could NOT invite you anywhere.
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    terar21 wrote: »

Yeah, say "so your fat-*kitten* will be running with me?" lol I laugh when someone says something like that.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    I est your weight at 190lbs. If you run 90 min (10 min mile) for 9 miles, that's close to 1300 calories. You mean to tell me you can't fit White Castle in today?
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    Good for you for sticking to your guns and making your own choices. Now while I'm not saying you need to ditch the old friends, sometimes with this "lifestyle" change, you will find that you might have more in common with other people or who maybe don't try to sabotage you. Maybe it's time to make some new friends?
  • kimmywilliams1110
    Options
    My family does this all the time..... "Come out to dinner with us", "don't diet on the weekends", "it's only one meal".... It's annoying when it's constantly happening. It's hard to not get derailed when your always hearing that you shouldn't be dieting. I started eating before going to family get togethers and that way I could order something small so I was satisfied and didn't have to hear all jabber about not eating or seeing the fam :smiley:
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    "hey guys, i'd love to have lunch with you, but can we go this place instead, because they apparently have great food, including good burgers plus some other stuff too."
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Here's the thing. People at my office are always bringing in junk food, going out for fast food, etc. And when they offer me junk I don't want (cookies, donuts, candies) or invite me out to KFC, I say "No, thanks." Sometimes they offer again, and then I say, "No, I'm good, thanks" or "I'm going to eat in the office today."

Since I don't talk about what I am and am not eating, and how many calories yada yada yada, and how it's junk, and how it's got no nutrition, and how I'm going to run a marathon and have a six-pack, no one gets defensive or angry or questions me or continues to try to foist things on me. They shrug and go on their way. I see the same pattern in our office with the other people who are very careful with what they eat but who don't talk about it much.

But there are others who are always talking about their diets and exercise routines - those are the ones who people tease about what they are and aren't eating. Plus they're very tedious to be around.

No one can create drama around your food choices unless you help them do so.

If the issue is really around the social event (e.g. last week when I went to a friend's pub night), then go to the event. Either pick the best choice off the menu (I had a small steak with plain steamed veggies and a plain salad), or have a cheat meal, or don't eat food there. No one cares how or what you eat. They only care about how you make them feel about what they choose to eat.

• anaisbutterfly7
    anaisbutterfly7 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Muddy_Yogi wrote: »
    You could just admit you have no will power.

Why is that the go to opinion for some people on this site?
  • DjinnMarie
    edited January 2015
    Options
    My family does this all the time..... "Come out to dinner with us", "don't diet on the weekends", "it's only one meal".... It's annoying when it's constantly happening. It's hard to not get derailed when your always hearing that you shouldn't be dieting. I started eating before going to family get togethers and that way I could order something small so I was satisfied and didn't have to hear all jabber about not eating or seeing the fam :smiley:

Honestly, it's not that hard to be flexible while dieting. Every restaurant I have ever been to (not fast food) offers some sort of salad/salad bar, chicken, fish or even steak and plenty of side veggies. Just because you go to a restaurant doesn't mean you automatically have to order nachos for an appetizer and fried chicken and mashed potatoes.

My only complaint is the waste on the serving size. I wish they would let me order off the senior or kids menu. But oh well. Small price to pay for family and friend time. It could be worse, they could not invite you anywhere.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Muddy_Yogi wrote: »
    You could just admit you have no will power.

Why is that the go to opinion for some people on this site?

in the end, we are ultimately responsible for what we do to our bodies.