People just don't get it...

Options

Replies

• MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    Each to their own... I run so I can eat burgers!

Everyone always freaks out if someone doesn't go out to eat bad food every time they are invited or every time they crave it.
    Maybe they already ate out a couple times that week, maybe they already ate most of their calories for the day, maybe they know they are going to be going out a bunch on the weekend.
    I have had pizza, burgers, chips, ice cream etc while easily losing weight. But at least SOME of the time you have to PLAN for it. Otherwise, if you just overeat all the time you are not gonna be losing no weight.

Yes, he could have just gone and not eaten, but sometimes it can be difficult to not eat when it's right in front of you and he wasn't feeling strong that day.

• yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Muddy_Yogi wrote: »
    You could just admit you have no will power.

Why is that the go to opinion for some people on this site?

because admitting that is one of the first steps to making a real difference and many people would like to skip facing that reality - even though facing it is the best possible idea.

and we all know that recognizing a problem is the first step to correcting it!

• RunTimer
    RunTimer Posts: 9,137 Member
    Options

Ditto! (My current passion is the Melt's 1/4 lb Burgers. Can't do them on a regular day, but after a long run..yummmm

@auntchellebelle‌ , I also like your approach..everyone's happy.
  • Pslam13914
    Pslam13914 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have had to correct myself several times in the last year. I love cooking goodies for people and am now having to not. There are some other options, but those aren't my best work. I am learning.

It's just a matter of respecting each other and not being easily offended. This is quite the balancing act sometimes.

• beavislong
    beavislong Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I est your weight at 190lbs. If you run 90 min (10 min mile) for 9 miles, that's close to 1300 calories. You mean to tell me you can't fit White Castle in today?
    Actually I'm 160 and my run will be under 8:00 per mile. Per my heart rate monitor I burn around 100 calories per mile so I will be burning around 900 calories. I have planned my day and eating around my run and want to fuel my body properly and also reap the caloric deficit of my exercise. Technically I could have fit White Castle in. That wasn't the exact point of my post. It was about the principle.

My run will be be far better fueled by the lean protein, whole grains and fruit I ate today than by anything I could have eaten at White Castle.

• beavislong
    beavislong Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    TavistockToad wrote: »

Ditto! (My current passion is the Melt's 1/4 lb Burgers. Can't do them on a regular day, but after a long run..yummmm

Agree with you both. One of the benefits of running(especially the long runs) is that I can indulge every so often and still lose weight.

Trust me I definitely do not starve myself!! I'm a foodie at heart.
  • Phoenix_Down
    Phoenix_Down Posts: 530 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    beavislong wrote: »
    I est your weight at 190lbs. If you run 90 min (10 min mile) for 9 miles, that's close to 1300 calories. You mean to tell me you can't fit White Castle in today?
    Actually I'm 160 and my run will be under 8:00 per mile. Per my heart rate monitor I burn around 100 calories per mile so I will be burning around 900 calories. I have planned my day and eating around my run and want to fuel my body properly and also reap the caloric deficit of my exercise. Technically I could have fit White Castle in. That wasn't the exact point of my post. It was about the principle.

My run will be be far better fueled by the lean protein, whole grains and fruit I ate today than by anything I could have eaten at White Castle.

Hey now, there are Olympic athletes that eat tons of McDonald's chicken nuggets to fuel their performances. :wink:

I do understand, with lower calories, one has to be more diligent to hit macros, etc and between white castle or those things, you'd get a better nutrient profiles but assuming you're getting your nutrient intake, white castle wouldn't hinder you.

ETA : unless...white castle doesn't agree with you. I've heard things and stuff
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    beavislong wrote: »

I mentioned performance in a diff post.

Database here says just over a 1,000 but anyway.

I didn't read anything about principle and I wouldn't expect anyone else in the office to have that type of knowledge about your diet/exercise routine to know when to ask/not ask you out for lunch
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't have gone either, but then again I loathe White Castles. Everything from the smell to the food makes me nauseous.

But I do personally hate food pushers. If I want something I will have it, if I say no respect that and let's move on.
  • RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    You are on the forums, OP. Your point will get lost about 122 times before it is all said and done. If you got what you wanted out of this post, then just let it go and get back to your real life. I got the entertainment value I was looking for, so I am going to get back to my life. Have a nice day!
  • anaisbutterfly7
    anaisbutterfly7 Posts: 71 Member
    Options

in the end, we are ultimately responsible for what we do to our bodies.

yoovie wrote: »

because admitting that is one of the first steps to making a real difference and many people would like to skip facing that reality - even though facing it is the best possible idea.

I don't disagree.

So...why would anyone assume that is the OP's (or anyone's) problem whenever they say something like this?

• thedarkwombat
    thedarkwombat Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Sliders are 140 calories each. You could have had 4 of them for 560 calories. How many calories do you eat in a day man?
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

in the end, we are ultimately responsible for what we do to our bodies.

yoovie wrote: »

I don't disagree.

So...why would anyone assume that is the OP's (or anyone's) problem whenever they say something like this?

If someone refuses to go near a restaurant with friends to spend time together for a social outing because they cannot guarantee that they won't eat badly, it seems as though they dont trust themselves to make the right decisions and would sacrifice time with people they care about instead.

we see this all the time on MFP

"I cant spend time with my girlfriends anymore because they go to restaurants that serve unhealthy options."

whereas someone who spends time and effort working on building their willpower would say something along the lines of, 'my friends and i are going out to eat tonight, and they want fast food so Im eating before I go out! that way if Im tempted, I wont overdo it!'

the connection to lack of willpower is made by noting whether an OP is scared of themselves overdoing it. if you are scared you are going to go nuts, it's because you don't trust your self-control. And not having enough self-control is hand in hand with not having enough willpower.

that's all.

there's also nothing wrong with diagnosing yourself as willpowerless!!! sucking at something is the first step toward being kinda okay at something!

no one can look down at you for being honest with yourself either :flowerforyou:

• anaisbutterfly7
    anaisbutterfly7 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    To me it doesn't seem like the OP is scared. It seems like he is annoyed that his friends aren't respecting his boundaries. I am annoyed that some people on this forum want to jump straight to "the OP has no will power"
  • Jenny4733
    Options
    Good for you! Don't let them drag you down. They might just covet your self discipline and want you to cave to make them feel better about their bad choices.
  • cmasongreen
    cmasongreen Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Haha, I read the ending line to your post, OP, that read, "Sorry just ranting. Stay vigilant friends!" and thought, "Hey, he ended it with a good explanation that he wasn't trying to stir anything up, maybe people will be supportive!" I forgot...that's not the homosapien way.

My bad.

Also I love when everyone tries to determine what the OP was 'actually' saying as opposed to just taking it like he put it. I just don't remember him asking people to solve a problem for him or evaluate his choices.
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    Exactly! You realize you're screwing yourself up and so you decide to take care of yourself instead, and people will then work very hard to sabotage and derail you and destroy all your hard work.

I got rid of some "friends" who were trying to do that to me in another situation. They were all happy with me when I was in an abusive relationship, but when I got rid of that loser and started dating Phil, and we got serious, they started being @$$hats, dogging on him, uninviting him from things, etc. The man who has been a wonderful part of my life and done right by me in every way, they wanted me to get rid of him. He's very sweet and a people pleaser... there's no rational reason for it. So I got rid of these "friends" instead and now Phil and I are happily married. *fist pump*

Most of my friends have learned by now that if I say I am not eating fast food or junk, I will not be moved. If they insist that the earth will explode if we don't all go to the grease pit, and I'm in a group where I can't bail on them, then I will order a cup of coffee. Period. Why are people whack like this??? It's so much more fun when Gothchiq is fat, because then we can tell her how she needs to lose weight, oh but when she does just that, we want to get her fat again so we can have someone to be skinnier than. NOPE NOPE NOPE so much nope.
    Wow, I would say you still need new friends. This is not normal behavior for real friendship.

• mrsKOrtiz
    mrsKOrtiz Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why someone flagged your posting!! Anyway, I think you did great.
  • yourradimradletshug
    yourradimradletshug Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Oh I get this too but mainly on our "potluck days" at work. Everyone tells me I gotta try this and try what they made and when I tell them I am watching my food intake they say "Oh well just go to the gym tonight!" Well that is the plan but I am already there for about ah hour and a half burning off the calories from what I packed to eat today.