So you want a nice stomach

Replies

• andysport1
    andysport1 Posts: 592 Member
    usmcmp wrote: »

@andysport1 What exactly about weights do you not like?

Having lean mass is important to having visible abs (4 pack or 6 pack depends on genetics, you can't just develop a specific number of abs). Abs is a combination of enough lean mass and low body fat. It's possible that you are active enough or use your muscles in a way that has developed lean mass. There's also a chance that you will need to do some sort of resistance training to develop enough muscle. There are things like convict conditioning or other body weight exercises that can be done instead of going to the gym and lifting.

Either way it's going to come down to you dropping the fat and either having or gaining enough lean mass.

Weights just seem boring,
    I love the classes, swimming, running, cycling

Genetics, I didn't realise they played a part.
    convict conditioning has a similar goal to one of my existing classes bodypump
    Exercises with a bar, the bar is weighted between 10kg and 30kg then we do an hour of exercise, chest press, triceps, bicep, squat, lunges etc.
    I currently do 2 classes a week
    do you think this will be enough or may I still need to add a bit more or is there something specific that I need to add.

Thank you for your help
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    andysport1 wrote: »

@andysport1 What exactly about weights do you not like?

Having lean mass is important to having visible abs (4 pack or 6 pack depends on genetics, you can't just develop a specific number of abs). Abs is a combination of enough lean mass and low body fat. It's possible that you are active enough or use your muscles in a way that has developed lean mass. There's also a chance that you will need to do some sort of resistance training to develop enough muscle. There are things like convict conditioning or other body weight exercises that can be done instead of going to the gym and lifting.

Either way it's going to come down to you dropping the fat and either having or gaining enough lean mass.

Weights just seem boring,
    I love the classes, swimming, running, cycling

Genetics, I didn't realise they played a part.
    convict conditioning has a similar goal to one of my existing classes bodypump
    Exercises with a bar, the bar is weighted between 10kg and 30kg then we do an hour of exercise, chest press, triceps, bicep, squat, lunges etc.
    I currently do 2 classes a week
    do you think this will be enough or may I still need to add a bit more or is there something specific that I need to add.

Thank you for your help

It will help, but you won't know if it was enough until you get leaner. You might want to add in more or look into You Are Your Own Gym. I understand that it seems boring, but if you cut it down to just doing the main compound lifts or find a program that only takes 20 minutes you won't have enough time to get bored. I hate cardio, I think it's boring. I do it because it helps me reach my goals and it's important for health. Unfortunate part of being an adult and having specific goals.
  • runawayescape
    runawayescape Posts: 58 Member
    bump :)
  • andysport1
    bump :)

Why on earth does a thread that is only 2 minutes old need bumping ?
  • andysport1
    Part of my program contains body weight exercises.

Compound lifts, I've just googled this it shows dead lifts, chest press, bicep curls allsorts.

Are compound lifts a full range of weight lifting movements with the target of high weights low reps ?
  • usmcmp
    andysport1 wrote: »
    Part of my program contains body weight exercises.

Compound lifts, I've just googled this it shows dead lifts, chest press, bicep curls allsorts.

Are compound lifts a full range of weight lifting movements with the target of high weights low reps ?

Generally the compound lifts are defined as multi-joint lifts. The big 3 are normally squat, bench press, deadlift. Biceps curls would not be a compound lift since it concentrates effort on the biceps (triceps do get some small work from it). If you concentrated on squats, bench press, deadlifts, lunges, push ups, pull ups, and over-head press you would use multiple muscles at once and get the most from the workout.

There are also a variety of ways to change each one up. Like with bench press you can do it with a barbell or dumbbells, you can do incline, flat or decline. That means it doesn't have to be the same thing day after day.

Heavy weights for 1-6 reps is for strength. The 8-12 rep range is for building size and is done fairly heavy as well. Doing 15+ reps is for endurance. These are not exclusive ranges because you can build size doing lower reps and you can build size doing higher reps. The goal for any of the rep range should be to eventually be able to increase the weight you perform the exercise with.
  • shelleygold
    shelleygold Posts: 178 Member
    usmcmp: Didn't think people would find it difficult to follow more than one conversation at a time. Seems a bit limiting to me but you have posted over 5000 messages so I imagine you are a pro in this forum. Not very welcoming however.

@shelleygold I wasn't rude in my reply to your question about water retention and bloating. I did answer it and I suggested that in order to not derail this thread (which is against the community rules) that you start your own thread asking that question for further input. I fail to see how that is "not very welcoming". I answered and then made a suggestion to help you get more answers to your question while helping you avoid violating the rules.

Hi again, I'm not sure I said "rude". I said "not welcoming" which is comment pertaining to your comment about my "derailing". I did not make myself aware of the community forum rules which I understand offer some useful structures and consistent context. I apologise for not know thin ahead of time and just launching in with a question. By the way, you sound very knowledgable and there is a lot to learn from what you know and share. Thanks

• andysport1
    Shelleygold usmcmp is extremely knowledgeable, modest, humble, experienced and balanced. If you read her blogs or some of her posts you'll come to realise she's a whole lot more than a few words on a page.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    ElliottTN wrote: »
    I really really want to give you a thumbs up but your number 4 is making me cringe.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with #4. I run AND lift heavy and I have nicely defined abs. I find weight training and cardio to be very complementary for my purposes. Personally, I think it's important to keep my muscles and bones strong AND keep my cardiovascular system in good shape. Neglecting one to focus on the other doesn't make sense to me. It's fine if that's your thing, but it's not correct to suggest that doing a little cardio is somehow going to hurt one's ability to get great abs, because it doesn't - unless maybe I'm just a freak of nature. That's possible, too, I guess. ;)
  • FitnessMeagan1105
    FitnessMeagan1105 Posts: 57 Member
    bump
  • usmcmp
    jenilla1 wrote: »
    ElliottTN wrote: »
    I really really want to give you a thumbs up but your number 4 is making me cringe.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with #4. I run AND lift heavy and I have nicely defined abs. I find weight training and cardio to be very complementary for my purposes. Personally, I think it's important to keep my muscles and bones strong AND keep my cardiovascular system in good shape. Neglecting one to focus on the other doesn't make sense to me. It's fine if that's your thing, but it's not correct to suggest that doing a little cardio is somehow going to hurt one's ability to get great abs, because it doesn't - unless maybe I'm just a freak of nature. That's possible, too, I guess. ;)

Most of them are shocked that I ONLY suggest an hour total of cardio in a week. They think people should do more than that. I know the American Heart Association suggests slightly more than that, but lifting also improves VO2 max. My suggestions are more than enough to keep the body healthy.
  • carolinatx
    carolinatx Posts: 58 Member
    I am so confused by this site. I enter in my info and it tells me my TDEE is 2149 and for my workout day I should eat 2479 and rest days 1290 and it only lets me say I'm working out 4 days a week - if I go up to 5 days a week, it puts me at weight gain??? Doing 4 days per week with these calories puts me at losing 15 lbs by March 21, 2016 - wtf??

I have been doing the MFP calculated calories to lose 1 lb per week and am at 1400 calories, but would like to explore TDEE. I work out about 6 days per week for 30-75 mins per day. I have a desk job, but I choose to stand. I hate strength but do it about 2-3 times per week, the rest is cardio and I usually still do a lot of activity on my rest days - cleaning house, playing with my son, walking, etc. I follow the macros of 50/30/20 that MFP recommends - trying to make sure I hit the 20% protein because I struggle to get that. I try to do organic and the least processed foods that I can and very very seldom eat something fried.

Would appreciate any advice - I've lost 21 lbs so far (over the past 300 days) and have been at a plateau since about July (lost 1-3 lbs since then is all). Have tried increasing and decreasing my calories and I'm not sure what else to do. I'd like to really tone up and lose another 15lbs by early May 2015 - adding strength is something newer for me (last month or two). I track everything with measuring cups and a scale and log my food and have an HRM for my calories burned so I feel like I'm tracking as accurately as I can.

Thanks!
  • VeganAmandaJ
    VeganAmandaJ Posts: 234 Member
    I've visited that IF website before and have always been flabbergasted at the amount of calories it recommends me to eat on rest days let alone on workout days. How can I possibly consume 2,512 calories on workout days and 2,450 cals on rest days and still lose weight/fat?
    MFP's guidelines say I should lose 1 lb per week eating 2,230 cals a day.

I had lost 50 lbs over a year and a half but because of several vacations over the past 6 months I've managed to gain back at least 10, if not more. (I haven't been checking the scale since I can feel it in my body and my clothes but haven't grown out of my clothes yet... they're just tighter)

I was working out 4-6 days a week, lifting by following various bodybuilding.com programs and weighing/measuring things. I still weigh/measure but because of getting out of my routine many times over the past 6 months I haven't really been back in the routine of weighing/measuring/working out 4-6 days a week.

The ultimate question is: If I get back to my routine of 4-6 days per week of lifting heavy + cardio (usually 15-30 mins each time), weighing/measuring/go grocery shopping and getting my protein back up (goal previously was 120-130g), is eating so many calories really necessary, how exactly does that work?

Excuse me if I missed something since I didn't read all 29 pages of this post and I'm not making excuses for the last 6 months since I wouldn't have changed it TOO much but I definitely need to re lose what I've gained and continue losing since I have at least 80+ more I need to lose. ( I don't have a weight goal since it's more about health and fitness, so I'll decide when it gets closer)

Thanks in advance for any more info/resources you provide.
  • usmcmp
    edited January 2015
    @carolinatx and @WhovianFitNHealthy you both missed the part on the third page where it is set to recomposition. For the rest days and workout days you can manually change the percentage to -20% and that's what you would eat every day. You would not count calories burned.

You can also try this site and it might be more clear to both of you:
    iifym.com/iifym-calculator/
  • VeganAmandaJ
    VeganAmandaJ Posts: 234 Member
    Yeah, that is at -20% -should it be higher? I'll look at that website. Thanks. I try not to eat back cals burned anyway.
    @carolinatx and @WhovianFitNHealthy you both missed the part on the third page where it is set to recomposition. For the rest days and workout days you can manually change the percentage to -20% and that's what you would eat every day. You would not count calories burned.

• anna19741974
    anna19741974 Posts: 3 Member
    I want to lose my belly fat... Can someone help me
  • usmcmp
    I want to lose my belly fat... Can someone help me

Go back and read the first post, then follow what's written in it.
  • usmcmp
    Yeah, that is at -20% -should it be higher? I'll look at that website. Thanks. I try not to eat back cals burned anyway.

For most people I suggest -20% from their TDEE as a starting point. -15% works as well. The closer you get to your TDEE the less room for error in logging and the slower the weight loss.
  • 04hoopsgal73
    04hoopsgal73 Posts: 890 Member
    Just want to say thanks for this thread. I've read it each year and a couple of more times when I needed to be reminded of how it all works. I'm approaching 60 years old and had a few injury set backs which has lost me time on reaching my goal. But I believe I'll get there!
  • usmcmp
    Just want to say thanks for this thread. I've read it each year and a couple of more times when I needed to be reminded of how it all works. I'm approaching 60 years old and had a few injury set backs which has lost me time on reaching my goal. But I believe I'll get there!

I'm glad that it's been there for you! Even I have to come back to it and remember the basics sometimes. It's easy to make it complicated or think it isn't possible. Can't wait to see your success post!