Replies

• andysport1
    andysport1 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    usmcmp I for one am greatful for your input on myfitnesspal
  • EverHopeful2015
    Options
    Thanks for posting this!

My sister recently asked me if doing ab exercises will make her have a six-pack. She doesn't want a six-pack. She wants her stomach to be flat and look feminine. I told her that it takes a lot of hard work to get a six-pack... that she is likely not doing any exercises that will make that happen, so she doesn't need to worry.

You helped confirm this... because she doesn't do any heavy lifting with ab work.
  • polkadotty88
    polkadotty88 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    not as easy when you have had a baby.
  • Qskim
    Qskim Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options

OP does have kids...fantastic what can be achieved isn't it?
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    @polkadotty88
    You might want to look at the OP's success story:
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/971636/my-story-of-sweet-revenge-pics/p1
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    usmcmp: Didn't think people would find it difficult to follow more than one conversation at a time. Seems a bit limiting to me but you have posted over 5000 messages so I imagine you are a pro in this forum. Not very welcoming however.

@shelleygold I wasn't rude in my reply to your question about water retention and bloating. I did answer it and I suggested that in order to not derail this thread (which is against the community rules) that you start your own thread asking that question for further input. I fail to see how that is "not very welcoming". I answered and then made a suggestion to help you get more answers to your question while helping you avoid violating the rules.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    andysport1 wrote: »
    As you answered Fraser question maybe you'll answer mine.
    I used to do Triathlon and intend to return popped 60lbs on in 10 months oops
    So it's coming off, I would like maybe 4 out of a six pack
    My leg, shoulder and arm muscles are generally quite defined so I am aware I need to do a little extra so as when I have lost the excess my abs show.
    I hate weights, I like classes, bodypump, circuits, spinning

If your replies say "go lift weights" I will sooner not have abs

@andysport1 What exactly about weights do you not like?

Having lean mass is important to having visible abs (4 pack or 6 pack depends on genetics, you can't just develop a specific number of abs). Abs is a combination of enough lean mass and low body fat. It's possible that you are active enough or use your muscles in a way that has developed lean mass. There's also a chance that you will need to do some sort of resistance training to develop enough muscle. There are things like convict conditioning or other body weight exercises that can be done instead of going to the gym and lifting.

Either way it's going to come down to you dropping the fat and either having or gaining enough lean mass.
  • usmcmp
    Options

@polkadotty88 I have two kids. I gave birth to them while I was obese. I'm also a single mom with a full time job. During my weight loss I was also finishing my bachelor's degree. It didn't happen overnight, it took years.
  • Pacoloco
    Pacoloco Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks a lot I do about 3 hrs cardio a week but mostly hills on treadmill but also lift heavy
  • andysport1
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »

Having lean mass is important to having visible abs (4 pack or 6 pack depends on genetics, you can't just develop a specific number of abs). Abs is a combination of enough lean mass and low body fat. It's possible that you are active enough or use your muscles in a way that has developed lean mass. There's also a chance that you will need to do some sort of resistance training to develop enough muscle. There are things like convict conditioning or other body weight exercises that can be done instead of going to the gym and lifting.

Either way it's going to come down to you dropping the fat and either having or gaining enough lean mass.

Weights just seem boring,
    I love the classes, swimming, running, cycling

Genetics, I didn't realise they played a part.
    convict conditioning has a similar goal to one of my existing classes bodypump
    Exercises with a bar, the bar is weighted between 10kg and 30kg then we do an hour of exercise, chest press, triceps, bicep, squat, lunges etc.
    I currently do 2 classes a week
    do you think this will be enough or may I still need to add a bit more or is there something specific that I need to add.

Thank you for your help
  • usmcmp
    Options

Weights just seem boring,
    I love the classes, swimming, running, cycling

Genetics, I didn't realise they played a part.
    convict conditioning has a similar goal to one of my existing classes bodypump
    Exercises with a bar, the bar is weighted between 10kg and 30kg then we do an hour of exercise, chest press, triceps, bicep, squat, lunges etc.
    I currently do 2 classes a week
    do you think this will be enough or may I still need to add a bit more or is there something specific that I need to add.

Thank you for your help

It will help, but you won't know if it was enough until you get leaner. You might want to add in more or look into You Are Your Own Gym. I understand that it seems boring, but if you cut it down to just doing the main compound lifts or find a program that only takes 20 minutes you won't have enough time to get bored. I hate cardio, I think it's boring. I do it because it helps me reach my goals and it's important for health. Unfortunate part of being an adult and having specific goals.
  • runawayescape
    runawayescape Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    bump :)
  • andysport1
    Options
    bump :)

Why on earth does a thread that is only 2 minutes old need bumping ?
  • andysport1
    Options
    Part of my program contains body weight exercises.

Compound lifts, I've just googled this it shows dead lifts, chest press, bicep curls allsorts.

Are compound lifts a full range of weight lifting movements with the target of high weights low reps ?
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Part of my program contains body weight exercises.

Compound lifts, I've just googled this it shows dead lifts, chest press, bicep curls allsorts.

Are compound lifts a full range of weight lifting movements with the target of high weights low reps ?

Generally the compound lifts are defined as multi-joint lifts. The big 3 are normally squat, bench press, deadlift. Biceps curls would not be a compound lift since it concentrates effort on the biceps (triceps do get some small work from it). If you concentrated on squats, bench press, deadlifts, lunges, push ups, pull ups, and over-head press you would use multiple muscles at once and get the most from the workout.

There are also a variety of ways to change each one up. Like with bench press you can do it with a barbell or dumbbells, you can do incline, flat or decline. That means it doesn't have to be the same thing day after day.

Heavy weights for 1-6 reps is for strength. The 8-12 rep range is for building size and is done fairly heavy as well. Doing 15+ reps is for endurance. These are not exclusive ranges because you can build size doing lower reps and you can build size doing higher reps. The goal for any of the rep range should be to eventually be able to increase the weight you perform the exercise with.
  • shelleygold
    shelleygold Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    usmcmp: Didn't think people would find it difficult to follow more than one conversation at a time. Seems a bit limiting to me but you have posted over 5000 messages so I imagine you are a pro in this forum. Not very welcoming however.

@shelleygold I wasn't rude in my reply to your question about water retention and bloating. I did answer it and I suggested that in order to not derail this thread (which is against the community rules) that you start your own thread asking that question for further input. I fail to see how that is "not very welcoming". I answered and then made a suggestion to help you get more answers to your question while helping you avoid violating the rules.

Hi again, I'm not sure I said "rude". I said "not welcoming" which is comment pertaining to your comment about my "derailing". I did not make myself aware of the community forum rules which I understand offer some useful structures and consistent context. I apologise for not know thin ahead of time and just launching in with a question. By the way, you sound very knowledgable and there is a lot to learn from what you know and share. Thanks

• andysport1
    Options
    Shelleygold usmcmp is extremely knowledgeable, modest, humble, experienced and balanced. If you read her blogs or some of her posts you'll come to realise she's a whole lot more than a few words on a page.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    ElliottTN wrote: »
    I really really want to give you a thumbs up but your number 4 is making me cringe.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with #4. I run AND lift heavy and I have nicely defined abs. I find weight training and cardio to be very complementary for my purposes. Personally, I think it's important to keep my muscles and bones strong AND keep my cardiovascular system in good shape. Neglecting one to focus on the other doesn't make sense to me. It's fine if that's your thing, but it's not correct to suggest that doing a little cardio is somehow going to hurt one's ability to get great abs, because it doesn't - unless maybe I'm just a freak of nature. That's possible, too, I guess. ;)
  • FitnessMeagan1105
    FitnessMeagan1105 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    bump