January 2015 - No Alcohol Challenge!

Options

Replies

• TMLPatrick
    TMLPatrick Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I've been doing this.... its not been terrible so far because my partner has been told not to drink for a while because of her migraine issues... we do have about $100+ of good craft beer in the fridge, though, going to waste.
  • AliceSwarthout
    AliceSwarthout Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    I'm in! I was already trying to do this on my own, so I'm glad for the company.
  • courtneyfnc
    courtneyfnc Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm in! I haven't had a drink since 12/31/14....Alcohol is a huge reason I didn't lose the weight I wanted to in 2014. Won't drink again until February 1, and even then, I feel so good not drinking that I doubt I'll be putting down the craft beers like I was. Here's to getting healthier!
  • clescop
    clescop Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm in - but what do I do when I get invitations to go out for drinks. Will people think I'm boring? I know I shouldn't care, but I get uncomfortable being the odd one out. Any advice on that?
  • keepmovingforwardtoday
    Options
    I'm in... Years ago, It seemed I gained all my weight after I met my husband. At the time I did not drink and he did and does now. I by no means drink a lot. It seems that after I started drinking the pounds started slowly creeping on me. After three children pounds really started packing. After diagnosed with cancer, I lost over 80 pounds. Yes, my diet did change and the procedures and all I went through did change my body. Plus the hospital limited my food intake. However, I did not drink for two years. Started drinking two years after cancer, not much. It seems soon as I started drinking, the little I do drink, the pounds started packing all over again. It never fails, I know for a fact that Alcohol does slow your metabolism more for some than others. I feel mostly the combination of the sugar, alcohol and some processed foods, only because it is affordable, is my downfall.
  • xXBabyBelleXx
    xXBabyBelleXx Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Week 1 done :) almost cracked tonight fo a glass of wine - but didn't :) relised I was just hungry and tired. Feeling strong !
  • momof2boyz832
    momof2boyz832 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Another weekend under the belt. It helped that I was working evenings all weekend. The scale has not moved but I am not concerned. My body does not like to cooperate and takes weeks for the scale to catch up. Now this upcoming week will be a challenge... off Monday and Tuesday. .dinner out on Friday with girls from work..Gotta keep focused!!
  • LeelooX2014
    LeelooX2014 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    clescop wrote: »
    I'm in - but what do I do when I get invitations to go out for drinks. Will people think I'm boring? I know I shouldn't care, but I get uncomfortable being the odd one out. Any advice on that?

Yes, order a tonic or fizzy soda water on ice with a lime/lemon on it and no one will notice. It's actually kind of fun being the sober one and listening to everyone getting a little silly. It no less fun being with your friends and drinking non alcohol drinks - it's still a great time!
  • mamameg312
    mamameg312 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    clescop wrote: »

Much like they do with food, people can get really weird when they see others abstaining from alcohol. Smile and hold your own. "No, thank you" is enough of an answer. You don't need to explain yourself to anyone. It will get easier the more you do it. Just order something fizzy that looks like a cocktail. If anyone says anything to you not drinking (and someone likely will), you can make a joke about "pacing" yourself. Or a casual comment about "taking a break from the sauce".

When going to a house party, bring something to drink with you. You might be surprised at the lack of non-alcoholic drinks at some parties.
  • CJ8585
    CJ8585 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    You guys are doing awesome!!!! I got through my second weekend booze free! I have some social functions coming up over the next few weekends so that will be a big test for sure. I'm going to try to stick with soda water & crystal light in a wine glass.
  • CJ8585
    Options
    Everyone please feel free to add me as a friend. Would love to continue to see your progress and I need the motivation =)
  • jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Lost 4 lbs of the 'last dreaded 15' after going on this. It has me motivated
  • littlebanne1985
    Options
    Mycophilia wrote: »
    I haven't had a drink in over three years. What's another month lol.

Not three years -- but it is rare if I even have 1 beer a month. Just not into it. So really no biggie.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,452 Member
    Options
    I know I'm late, but I just saw this thread and it's great to see how well you people are doing! I'm not a big drinker at all, but alcohol is a danger area for me - I don't really have enough calories to healthily fit in a couple of glasses of wine, and also the wine makes me crave salty, snacky food. It should be easy for me to make it to end of January, having started late!
  • mykaylis
    mykaylis Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    i had my last alcoholic beverage in november i think. i'm ordered off alcohol permanently (as per my dietitian) so yeah, going without should be pretty easy..i'm already doing it. that and no more soda. that was a little tougher.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    I didn't know about this challenge. I was doing it alone by myself. I'm so in.
  • alejandra14murphy
    Options
    I'm late but I'm with you, I think That's one of the reasons I'm stock, I loss 2 pounds and then I gain them back

• mariamathsgeek
    mariamathsgeek Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Day 15: Despite the red wine cravings this no booze challenge is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO worth it!!! So far, I've dropped 8.5 lbs, 3% body fat, 2 BMI points, 2" on waist, 4" on belly, 2" on hips and I feel full of energy!

I don't think it's only the no booze (I'm off sugar, wheat & dairy too) but staying off it stops me from getting the evening munchies and helps with the willpower to stay away from the chocolate, cookies, cake & cheese.

I'm thinking of keeping this going until Valentine's Day...that'll be 6 weeks off! Anyone fancy joining me?
  • CJ8585
    Options
    That's awesome!!! Keep it up! I might join you until Valentine's Day.. I'm going to re-assess at the end of the month and make a decision! =)
  • mariamathsgeek
    mariamathsgeek Posts: 236 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Thanks!

Yup - I'll re-assess at end of month too....I suspect on Feb 1st I'll be gasping for a drink! But, it'd be nice to do until Valentine's Day...it's just an extra weekend to get through!

So, here goes our 3rd booze free weekend! Fridays are the worst!

Keep strong everyone - we can do it!