Replies

• jpaulie
    jpaulie Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    emily_stew wrote: »
    Neither. Any fat that is solid at room temperature is unhealthy. It's kind of like which is better Oreos or pure sugar. Neither. Eat fruit in that case. In this case no fats - just whatever is present in food naturally but if you must, choose a cold pressed oil. It should say expeller pressed on the label otherwise it will be processed and very unhealthy.

Coconut oil? It's solid at room temp.

Mmmmmmmm, yes it does, but if it get warmer, it liquifies pretty quick.

Yes, as do most things composed almost entirely of fat.

If your interested? Quick read
    http://mobile.eatingwell.com/blogs/health_blog/is_coconut_oil_healthier_than_butter
    I'm not sure if you're intentionally missing my point, or what you're doing, but I'm not looking for information on coconut oil. I'm aware of its properties and I mentioned it because a previous poster (who I originally quoted) made a rather absurd statement that "any fat that is solid at room temperature is unhealthy". I countered his point by mentioning coconut oil, which is a fat product that hippies seem to go nuts (hah!) over, and is solid at room temp.

Foie gras fat is solid at room temp. It's delicious and good for you.

not for the wallet
  • Chlo92x
    Chlo92x Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Heinz ketchup all the way! Never heard of Hunts...
    Pepsi Max is better than coke or pepsi
    And ALWAYS Hellmanns mayo!!!! <3
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    dcastrog80 wrote: »
    Hi there. I'm italian. We in Italy do consume butter, a little less margarine. BUT both are not that healthy and are not NEEDED. It's just taste. So why not use olive oil (extra-virgin or normal)? Same fats but with less saturated fats and less cholesterol. If you want to eat healthy butter must be off in my opinion.

Butter adds to the flavor of some things and I tend to use it for that. Margarine adds positively to the flavor of nothing (IMO) so I never use it.

I don't like ketchup, but clearly Coke over Pepsi.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    dcastrog80 wrote: »
    Hi there. I'm italian. We in Italy do consume butter, a little less margarine. BUT both are not that healthy and are not NEEDED. It's just taste. So why not use olive oil (extra-virgin or normal)? Same fats but with less saturated fats and less cholesterol. If you want to eat healthy butter must be off in my opinion.

Butter adds to the flavor of some things and I tend to use it for that. Margarine adds positively to the flavor of nothing (IMO) so I never use it.

I don't like ketchup, but clearly Coke over Pepsi.

We agree on most things but it is PEPSI over COKE !!!!!!

• raiderrodney
    raiderrodney Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Chlo92x wrote: »
    Is butter better for you than margarine?
    I have heard a lot of bad things about margarine and trans fats etc.
    Is full fat butter worth the 'fat content' ?

Opinions?

Yes it is, butter all the way. Margarine is chemically imbalanced crap and is terrible for your body.

• kalexmac
    kalexmac Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    It is better to make the more natural choice in all foods whenever possible. If you choose margarine, try to make it trans fat free. But, whatever you do, do in moderation.
  • willyjoesho
    willyjoesho Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Some of the older "Stick" type margarines are bad for you, but the newer heart healthy ones like olive oil and flax oil margarines can actually help lower bad cholesterol. Butter, when used in moderation is just fine too. I say use what you prefer but stay away from the HIGH saturated fat older style margarines.

Oh and If i'm not mistaken, margarine was developed as feed to fatten turkeys, but they wouldn't eat it so it was colored yellow, flavoring was added and it was sold to humans.
  • raiderrodney
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Margarine:

Ingredients: WATER, SOYBEAN OIL, PALM OIL, PALM KERNEL OIL, SALT, LESS THAN 2% OF: EMULSIFIERS (MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES, SOY LECITHIN, PROPYLENE GLYCOL MONOSTEARATE, PRESERVATIVES (SODIUM BENZOATE, POTASSIUM SORBATE, CALCIUM DISODIUM EDTA), WHEY, CITRIC ACID, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, BETA CAROTENE (COLOR). CONTAINS STATEMENT: MILK, SOY.

Butter:

Ingredients: Sweet cream, salt.

I think this pretty much sums it up ;)
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Some of the older "Stick" type margarines are bad for you, but the newer heart healthy ones like olive oil and flax oil margarines can actually help lower bad cholesterol. Butter, when used in moderation is just fine too. I say use what you prefer but stay away from the HIGH saturated fat older style margarines.

Oh and If i'm not mistaken, margarine was developed as feed to fatten turkeys, but they wouldn't eat it so it was colored yellow, flavoring was added and it was sold to humans.

Urban legend and not true. It was invented by in 1869 by Hippolyte Mège Mouriès of France in response to Napoleon III's offering of a prize to whoever could succeed at producing a viable low-cost substitute for butter.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Margarine:

Ingredients: WATER, SOYBEAN OIL, PALM OIL, PALM KERNEL OIL, SALT, LESS THAN 2% OF: EMULSIFIERS (MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES, SOY LECITHIN, PROPYLENE GLYCOL MONOSTEARATE, PRESERVATIVES (SODIUM BENZOATE, POTASSIUM SORBATE, CALCIUM DISODIUM EDTA), WHEY, CITRIC ACID, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, BETA CAROTENE (COLOR). CONTAINS STATEMENT: MILK, SOY.

Butter:

How so? What's wrong with vitamin a, potassium, or whey? Especially at less than 2%. This post is just a straight up example of uneducated fear. Isn't it much better to learn what something is, instead of just demonizing things because you can't be bothered to learn about it?
  • raiderrodney
    Options
    tigersword wrote: »
    Margarine:

Butter:

How so? What's wrong with vitamin a, potassium, or whey? Especially at less than 2%. This post is just a straight up example of uneducated fear. Isn't it much better to learn what something is, instead of just demonizing things because you can't be bothered to learn about it?

While I agree with your reasoning of educating yourself on anything like this, I disagree with your argument for margarine. I have done a lot of research on the two.

Here are some links for anyone else that would like to do the same:

http://www.stop-trans-fat.com/how-is-margarine-made.html

http://www.stop-trans-fat.com/butter-v-margarine.html

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    jpaulie wrote: »
    dbmata wrote: »
    Neither. Any fat that is solid at room temperature is unhealthy. It's kind of like which is better Oreos or pure sugar. Neither. Eat fruit in that case. In this case no fats - just whatever is present in food naturally but if you must, choose a cold pressed oil. It should say expeller pressed on the label otherwise it will be processed and very unhealthy.

Coconut oil? It's solid at room temp.

Mmmmmmmm, yes it does, but if it get warmer, it liquifies pretty quick.

Yes, as do most things composed almost entirely of fat.

If your interested? Quick read
    http://mobile.eatingwell.com/blogs/health_blog/is_coconut_oil_healthier_than_butter
    I'm not sure if you're intentionally missing my point, or what you're doing, but I'm not looking for information on coconut oil. I'm aware of its properties and I mentioned it because a previous poster (who I originally quoted) made a rather absurd statement that "any fat that is solid at room temperature is unhealthy". I countered his point by mentioning coconut oil, which is a fat product that hippies seem to go nuts (hah!) over, and is solid at room temp.

Foie gras fat is solid at room temp. It's delicious and good for you.

not for the wallet

... it's not bad at all. Let's see, last lobe I bought at Pike's Market was $60, granted, I prefer grade b.

Ate what I wanted off of it, and then rendered the bits and bobs. In fact I'd say the oil was essentially free, because since I lack a tamis, I'm not making a fg mousse.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Margarine:

Butter:

Hm, I have most of the ingredients to make margarine. I'm not touching palm oil though, that stuff is as nasty as stew from an old goat.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Margarine:

Butter:

While I agree with your reasoning of educating yourself on anything like this, I disagree with your argument for margarine. I have done a lot of research on the two.

Stop trans fat dot com? Yeah, because that sounds like a totally unbiased source :wink:
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

I don't know who buys Hunts ketchup. I've never been in any home that had it. I think it's a front for the mob.

So, if you wanna change your life regarding ketchup...

Whataburger Ketchup.

That is all.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    Options
    Chlo92x wrote: »
    Is butter better for you than margarine?
    I have heard a lot of bad things about margarine and trans fats etc.
    Is full fat butter worth the 'fat content' ?

Opinions?

Yes it is, butter all the way. Margarine is chemically imbalanced crap and is terrible for your body.

What exactly does "chemically imbalanced" even mean?!?!?! Like the stoichiometry is completely off? The s and p orbitals are veering about their axes? Is this about Foucault's Pendulum? It is, isnt it. I KNEW IT
  • HardcoreP0rk
    Options
    Margarine:

Butter:

There are many brands of margarine that do not contain trans fats...
  • victoriousO
    victoriousO Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Butter is a whole food and that is what our bodies like. Always, butter!!
  • ashleyinaction
    Options
    to quote michael pollan in food rules: "Don’t eat anything your great-great-great grandmother wouldn’t recognize as food. Imagine how baffled your ancestors would be in a modern supermarket: the epoxy-like tubes of Go-Gurt, the preternaturally fresh Twinkies, the vaguely pharmaceutical Vitamin Water. Those aren’t foods, quite; they’re food products. History suggests you might want to wait a few decades or so before adding such novelties to your diet, the substitution of margarine for butter being the classic case in point. My mother used to predict “they” would eventually discover that butter was better for you. She was right: the trans-fatty margarine is killing us. Eat food, not food products."
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    AliceDark wrote: »
    I've read that margarine is one molecule away from being plastic. ...
    Water (H2O) is one molecule away from hydrogen peroxide (H2O2). One of those things is required for health and one is toxic (actually toxic, not MFP-toxic).

6cd5b7025f0d358472fbbda130292d64.jpg