Butter Vs. Margarine

Options

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Butter is a whole food and that is what our bodies like. Always, butter!!
    It's a partial food. "Buttermilk" is fractionated out of solution after shear force is applied and becomes a byproduct of production.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Margarine:

Ingredients: WATER, SOYBEAN OIL, PALM OIL, PALM KERNEL OIL, SALT, LESS THAN 2% OF: EMULSIFIERS (MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES, SOY LECITHIN, PROPYLENE GLYCOL MONOSTEARATE, PRESERVATIVES (SODIUM BENZOATE, POTASSIUM SORBATE, CALCIUM DISODIUM EDTA), WHEY, CITRIC ACID, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, BETA CAROTENE (COLOR). CONTAINS STATEMENT: MILK, SOY.

Butter:

Ingredients: Sweet cream, salt.

I think this pretty much sums it up ;)

So? You never, ever eat things with more than three ingredients? You always choose the most "healthful" option available - every single time? I assume you only ever drink water, because obviously that's the *most* natural drink available?
  • raiderrodney
    raiderrodney Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Margarine:

Ingredients: WATER, SOYBEAN OIL, PALM OIL, PALM KERNEL OIL, SALT, LESS THAN 2% OF: EMULSIFIERS (MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES, SOY LECITHIN, PROPYLENE GLYCOL MONOSTEARATE, PRESERVATIVES (SODIUM BENZOATE, POTASSIUM SORBATE, CALCIUM DISODIUM EDTA), WHEY, CITRIC ACID, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, BETA CAROTENE (COLOR). CONTAINS STATEMENT: MILK, SOY.

Butter:

So? You never, ever eat things with more than three ingredients? You always choose the most "healthful" option available - every single time? I assume you only ever drink water, because obviously that's the *most* natural drink available?

I try to, don't you? Actually outside of water, I typically only drink water & beer :smile:

• ahoier
    ahoier Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    butter hands down......but keep in mind....most newer margarines are moving away from the hydrogenated oils/fats.....but yes, you're better off using butter.....real butter. and in moderation.
  • dbmata
    Options
    Margarine:

Butter:

I try to, don't you? Actually outside of water, I typically only drink water & beer :smile:
    If it weren't for beer we'd have dodgy water sources.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    HardcoreP0rk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    It's a partial food. "Buttermilk" is fractionated out of solution after shear force is applied and becomes a byproduct of production.

Well...butter and buttermilk are fractions you can collect from physical manipulation of heavy cream, but nothing is fractionated from "out of solution." Heavy cream is a mixture.
  • MizzMaldy
    MizzMaldy Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

I don't know who buys Hunts ketchup. I've never been in any home that had it. I think it's a front for the mob.

So, if you wanna change your life regarding ketchup...

Whataburger Ketchup.

That is all.

This. All day. Although, I prefer Whataburger Spicy Ketchup. Holy delicious!
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    Margarine:

Butter:

Obviously not, as I just ate an English muffin that I didn't make myself and used about a teaspoon of margarine, and some prepackaged ham that I didn't slice off of the pig myself.

• HardcoreP0rk
    Options
    MizzMaldy wrote: »

I don't know who buys Hunts ketchup. I've never been in any home that had it. I think it's a front for the mob.

So, if you wanna change your life regarding ketchup...

Whataburger Ketchup.

That is all.

This. All day. Although, I prefer Whataburger Spicy Ketchup. Holy delicious!

I love the spicy version, but I usually add sriracha or tabasco to plain, so that I have plain on hand for specific recipes.
  • ViolaLeeBlueberry
    ViolaLeeBlueberry Posts: 182 Member
    Options

Cute. Otherwise known as churning. My in-laws do it. I'd say the majority of households where I live do it. No need for electricity or fancy equipment or anything. Butter is only "not a whole food" in the sense that rice (which needs to be hulled) is not a "whole food." There's a process, of course, but not one that requires a specialized laboratory.

Butter? Yum. Ghee? Yum. Margarine? If you like that smooth creamy laboratory taste of palm oil, soy lecithin and emulsifiers. To each their own.
  • Th3Ph03n1x
    Th3Ph03n1x Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Trust me, making butter is a silly endeavor. Lots of good butter to be bought, without the wasted time. LOL. I can do it because I have a good selection of bacteria for getting some flavor into that cream, but why whack it up when I can keep it as creme fraiche? ;)

Coke vs. Pepsi, huge taste difference. Heinz and Hunts, totally.
    Pref: Coke and Heinz.
    Pepsi is what you buy when they don't have coke! Even then, I hate the the taste. Reminds me of flat coke

OMG, wth are you two thinking?! Pepsi and Diet Pepsi are sooo much better than Coke.

I'm sorry I'm with her Pepsi tastes like flat Coke. However I don't drink it even when they don't have coke. I get Dr. Pepper or Root Beer. Can not STAND Pepsi.
  • dbmata
    Options

Well...butter and buttermilk are fractions you can collect from physical manipulation of heavy cream, but nothing is fractionated from "out of solution." Heavy cream is a mixture.

Hm, I was always taught that a solution was a homogenized mixture. The fat being the solute, the "buttermilk" the solvent.

Guess I was wrong.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    dcastrog80 wrote: »
    Hi there. I'm italian. We in Italy do consume butter, a little less margarine. BUT both are not that healthy and are not NEEDED. It's just taste. So why not use olive oil (extra-virgin or normal)? Same fats but with less saturated fats and less cholesterol. If you want to eat healthy butter must be off in my opinion.

Yeah, it's taste. Some of us want our food to taste good. Taste is also the reason I prefer margarine over butter (plus it's a better-performing baking ingredient).

Butter has a much better taste in my opinion for certain purposes than olive oil. Olive oil has a solid place in my kitchen, but I'm not using it to bake my pastries, cakes and cookies, fry my eggs, or toast my grilled cheese sandwiches. It's also tons better as a condiment for pretty much all bakery products - again, IMO.

Yes, I know, there are olive oil cakes and I know plenty of people love them. I find them kind of gummy and, well, a bit oily.
  • kitkatbird
    kitkatbird Posts: 5
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Eating fattening butter in excess is bad but the trans fats in margarine don't exits in nature and wreak havoc on your body causing high cholesterol and artery build up and hardening. It's the molecular structure that is different which interacts with the molecules from our body in a more permanent damaging way. This is one of those things that really stood out to me in my Gen Chem 2 class.
  • HardcoreP0rk
    edited January 2015
    Options

Hm, I was always taught that a solution was a homogenized mixture. The fat being the solute, the "buttermilk" the solvent.

Guess I was wrong.

but not all heavy cream is homogenized

ETA: this is actually an important distinction, because it is far easier to make butter from cream that is not homogenized
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    The doc doesn't want me using either one. I use either olive oil or coconut oil for just about everything.
  • dbmata
    Options

Guess I was wrong.

Irrelevant, I'm not talking about the process there.

Heavy cream isolated from milk is homogenous until shear is applied. Don't be obtuse.
  • clewpage
    clewpage Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I only use real butter, sweet cream unsalted. It's natural and tastes WAY better!!
    I also like to use "bacon butter"...bacon fat. We cook bacon on the weekends, strain the fat throught cheesecloth and freeze it. Stick a tsp. into any vegetable and instannt yummy. Also cuts down on the need for salt.
  • TheVirgoddess
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    The doc doesn't want me using either one. I use either olive oil or coconut oil for just about everything.

So what you do you for things like toast? Also, how strong is the coconut flavor in coconut oil?
  • HardcoreP0rk
    Options

Guess I was wrong.

Heavy cream isolated from milk is homogenous until shear is applied. Don't be obtuse.

Guess I was wrong.

I'm not being obtuse. I'm being pedantic.

http://www.ilri.org/InfoServ/Webpub/fulldocs/ilca_manual4/Milkchemistry.htm#TopOfPage

A solution is not merely a homogeneous mixture. That is an oversimplification that we teach to 6th graders. Milk and cream are typically described as emulsions or colloids, though the properties of milk products vary greatly.

If you want to make butter or buttermilk, it's easiest to start with raw milk, skim the cream and then beat the non-homogenized cream until it separates.