What's the deal with the obsession of sweets?

Options

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    LeenaGee wrote: »
    Get what? I know calories in, calories out works.

An awful lot of people are successful without it. I have never counted a calorie in my life up until a few weeks ago and have stayed within a few kilos of my ideal weight my entire life. Since I started counting calories I realise that I am eating way too much to lose weight but for some reason my weight is stable. With the CICO theory I should be as fat as a house but for some reason my body maintains a steady weight. It is only since menopause that I have had a slight increase in weight.

Good Morning, Lena,

Calories in/calories out is science. Nobody is successful without it, unless that person is a special snowflake.

Literally counting calories is another ball game. Whether or not to keep track of intake and output is entirely up to the person. It's a tool only.

When you were maintaining weight it was because you were eating within your calorie goals.

You say you've had a slight gain since menopause. How much is slight? Not water retention? Any fat gained is due to eating over maintenance. That's easy to do, especially if you are feeling more tired (hot flashes drain me) and not moving as much or you are eating a bit more than you realize. Either way, weight gain means you are eating more calories than you realize.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Leena, I hear you. The head doctor who runs the weight loss program in our province has said that "anyone can starve themselves to lose weight". The hard part is maintenance. I believe the answer is in habit change. People who find it hard to lose weight are not necessarily weak-willed or deficient in some way.

This continues to be a pet peeve of mine, as I am competent and successful in many areas of my life. A manager, a leader. Intelligent and articulate. And overweight. If it was easy I would have done it a long time ago.

Isn't it about time we redefined "failure"? A marriage that lasts ten years is not a "failure". It's practically a marathon! Who stays in the same job for ten years? Someone who loses forty pounds and puts it back on is not a "failure". This is someone who knows exactly what it takes to lose forty pounds!

That being said, let's not give sugar more power than it has. It's attractive and delicious. But it doesn't send out alien signals, "eat me". There's something more powerful at work; our own hedonistic unconscious. Me, I deal with my inner hedonist by feeding it. Judiciously.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Isn't it about time we redefined "failure"?

Someone who loses forty pounds and puts it back on is not a "failure". This is someone who knows exactly what it takes to lose forty pounds!

I like it!
  • ketorach
    ketorach Posts: 430 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

An awful lot of people are successful without it. I have never counted a calorie in my life up until a few weeks ago and have stayed within a few kilos of my ideal weight my entire life. Since I started counting calories I realise that I am eating way too much to lose weight but for some reason my weight is stable. With the CICO theory I should be as fat as a house but for some reason my body maintains a steady weight. It is only since menopause that I have had a slight increase in weight.
    Calories in, Calories out is not COUNTING; it's just a formula.

Also, you're maintaining because your calories in equals your calories out. Your slight increase in weight since menopause is a result of a slight reduction in calories out, likely due to factors associated with menopause.

This is science, not counting using MFP.

• kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

An awful lot of people are successful without it. I have never counted a calorie in my life up until a few weeks ago and have stayed within a few kilos of my ideal weight my entire life.

So if you know it works, and you know successful people, how is CICO not sustainable?
    For some people, CICO works without them being consious of it (they maintain healthy weight on an ad libitum diet). Others need skills in addition to CICO to lose weight and maintain that loss. These skills may include logging, better knowledge about food and nutrition, activity, having a job and income that allows them to eat healthy (being overweight is strongly associated with socio-economic status), increased personal awareness (how their bodies respond to different foods, dealing with cravings), non-CICO strategies like drinking water, eating fiber, and checking in with a health professional, and awareness of impact of hormones on hunger, saiety, water retention, metabolism, etc. If the answer was as simple as telling people "CICO = Weight loss", no-one would be over weight, instead of over 50% of people in my country higher than a healthy weight.
  • kyta32
    Options
    MouseFood wrote: »
    sugar can be an addictive substance for some people. it may cause a 'crash' afterwards in the way caffeine or a drug does, making you feel bad/depressed and thus wanting more sugar to make yourself feel better.

trust me, i know. ;s

god i hate having an eating disorder.
    I'm sorry but that does not mean that sugar is a drug. I can go to eat a great 12 or 14 oz porterhouse and afterwards get very tired and need a nap, does that make the steak a drug?

Both sugar and the steak have metabolic impacts on the body. A large meal can make people feel sluggish - it's not an excuse, it's a biological reality. Added sugars cause energy surges and crashes, impact reward pathways in the brain, and add calories without satisfying hunger or giving good nutritional value (unless someone is very active). It's not an excuse, it's a biological reality. Some people have diabetes, some people are prediabetic (many without knowing), and some are just sensitive to sugar. Learning how we respond individually to sugar (and other foods) and taking steps to manage that (like not planning to run a marathon right after eating a 14 oz steak) is taking peronal responsibility.

I have issues with sweets. I accept that many don't, or crave other things, and I know that I'm not in a position to advise them on how to manage their cravings - I don't have the knowledge or the experience. I do have experience with managing sweet cravings, and I find limiting added sugars, water, distraction, waiting it out, and managing health/hunger otherwise helps. I've never found that discounting experience to be particularly helpful, though...
  • kyta32
    Options
    dunnodunno wrote: »
    kyta32 wrote: »
    FredDoyle wrote: »
    Measure your food @kyta32, measure your food.

I don't wanna. When I started weighing my yogurt, I found out I wasn't eating enough. So then I put in more, and the bowl was too full, and stuff would spill out when I tried to mix in my protein powder. It's easier just to eyeball. And besides, I'm losing 3-4 pounds a week. I heard measuring food leads to faster weight loss, and I don't think that would be safe....

Why don't you use a bigger bowl then? You could always buy a blender & mix some yogurt, milk, frozen banana, a few tablespoons of peanut butter, & whatever else you want to mix & make a breakfast smoothie/shake (after you measure the ingredients).

I'm very, very lazy. My daughter begs me to make smoothies, but getting the blender cleaned afterwards just seems like such a chore. And, I don't have the discretionary calories to add in a banana and tablespoons of peanut butter. I don't want to use a big bowl, because I use them for other things, and then I might run out. I'm also cheap. If I use the full amount of greek yogurt that I'm logging, I'll run out sooner, and then I have to come up with the money to buy more sooner. I just weighed my chia seeds for the first time, and realized 15 g is close to 2 tablespoons, not one....It just costs so much, and takes so much time to eat healthier...And I haven't even had a weight loss stall yet. Weighing food is just too stressful to do before I have to.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    It is always funny to see the "debate" around sugar..
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »
    gia07 wrote: »
    After I eat sweet I need salty. After I eat salty I need sweet. Hands down every time.

If there is chocolate around I will need the chips after!!!

Did you know that chocolate dipped potato chips exist?? Game changer!

In! Send me some, please!

I've seen them at Target!
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I have no idea, but I can confess to be pretty irritated when I discovered the little piece of fudge I had planned to eat after dinner last night was moldy.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I can take sweets or leave 'em. Give me some alone-time with a family sized plate of cheddar fries with house ranch on the side, however, I will do shameful things to it.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    MouseFood wrote: »
    sugar can be an addictive substance for some people. it may cause a 'crash' afterwards in the way caffeine or a drug does, making you feel bad/depressed and thus wanting more sugar to make yourself feel better.

trust me, i know. ;s

god i hate having an eating disorder.
    I'm sorry but that does not mean that sugar is a drug. I can go to eat a great 12 or 14 oz porterhouse and afterwards get very tired and need a nap, does that make the steak a drug?

Both sugar and the steak have metabolic impacts on the body. A large meal can make people feel sluggish - it's not an excuse, it's a biological reality. Added sugars cause energy surges and crashes, impact reward pathways in the brain, and add calories without satisfying hunger or giving good nutritional value (unless someone is very active). It's not an excuse, it's a biological reality. Some people have diabetes, some people are prediabetic (many without knowing), and some are just sensitive to sugar. Learning how we respond individually to sugar (and other foods) and taking steps to manage that (like not planning to run a marathon right after eating a 14 oz steak) is taking peronal responsibility.

I have issues with sweets. I accept that many don't, or crave other things, and I know that I'm not in a position to advise them on how to manage their cravings - I don't have the knowledge or the experience. I do have experience with managing sweet cravings, and I find limiting added sugars, water, distraction, waiting it out, and managing health/hunger otherwise helps. I've never found that discounting experience to be particularly helpful, though...

Does that mean I'm addicted to steak?

yes, because reward pathway in your brain ...< based on that line of reasoning you can be addicted to anything that gives you pleasure...

edited to fix typo
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I can take sweets or leave 'em. Give me some alone-time with a family sized plate of cheddar fries with house ranch on the side, however, I will do shameful things to it.

how shameful are we talking???? because I might have some cheddar fries and ranch in my office right now and it is my lunch break...
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options

An awful lot of people are successful without it. I have never counted a calorie in my life up until a few weeks ago and have stayed within a few kilos of my ideal weight my entire life.

So if you know it works, and you know successful people, how is CICO not sustainable?
    For some people, CICO works without them being consious of it (they maintain healthy weight on an ad libitum diet). Others need skills in addition to CICO to lose weight and maintain that loss. These skills may include logging, better knowledge about food and nutrition, activity, having a job and income that allows them to eat healthy (being overweight is strongly associated with socio-economic status), increased personal awareness (how their bodies respond to different foods, dealing with cravings), non-CICO strategies like drinking water, eating fiber, and checking in with a health professional, and awareness of impact of hormones on hunger, saiety, water retention, metabolism, etc. If the answer was as simple as telling people "CICO = Weight loss", no-one would be over weight, instead of over 50% of people in my country higher than a healthy weight.

I think you're confusing counting calories with the science of how the effect of calories consumed vs. calories burnt works.

Saying "CICO isn't sustainable" is a sentence that doesn't make sense. I think that was the argument/problem all along.

I agree that calorie counting might require some additional skills/knowledge, but science is self-sustaining. I think that was the issue with what was originally said. At least that was the problem I had with it.

• ndj1979
    Options

I think you're confusing counting calories with the science of how the effect of calories consumed vs. calories burnt works.

Saying "CICO isn't sustainable" is a sentence that doesn't make sense. I think that was the argument/problem all along.

I agree that calorie counting might require some additional skills/knowledge, but science is self-sustaining. I think that was the issue with what was originally said. At least that was the problem I had with it.

exactly ..

personal choice does not trump CICO
  • wamydia
    wamydia Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    _SKIM_ wrote: »
    After I eat sweet I need salty. After I eat salty I need sweet. Hands down every time.

If there is chocolate around I will need the chips after!!!

Did you know that chocolate dipped potato chips exist?? Game changer!

Who makes these? Def Game changer

I saw a poster put up a "Lindt" brand I think that was a chocolate bar WITH chips in it!!! Not sold in Australia damn it. I thought I was the only one...like to swill it down with a coke too (zero of course lol).

I'm late to the party, but I thought everyone should know that Esther Price makes chocolate covered potato chips. http://www.estherprice.com/product/chocolate-covered-potato-chips/Chocolate_Potato_Chips_Pretzels
  • lizc0616
    lizc0616 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    jkwolly wrote: »
    Because it tastes delicious and fits into my goals?

And I will gladly eat my hunks of cheese and bottles of wine infront of anyone, don't give a shiz about judgement.

<3<3<3<3 ^ i love this.